What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
You know, after all these decades of thousands of breeders breeding thousands of strains and growers growing millions of packs... you would think it would be no problem at all to buy some seeds that produce buds that burn with a loud hazy musky, leathery incense... yet far from being easy, it’s practically impossible! Wtf?!

It is complicated math. Take the number of people who want an 8 week strain and count how many generations of selection they have been working on. Then take the number of people who want to pheno hunt and select plants from 20 week or more type plants. Just my guess but I would say the more conveinient strains have been selected several 1000 more times.

Spaventa

Veteran
Ok but if you take all the 10 week or less strains out of the equation, where we don’t even expect those aromas, we are still left with a mountain of haze strains that don’t deliver what they promise. It’s like those genetic traits are impossible to lock down or even reproduce reliably... the church, piff funk. We all love it. Those who don’t love it haven’t had it yet. It should be standard. The rule, not the exception. You should have to hunt for strains that DON’T have it not ones that do.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Pretty sure its easy to find piff in Mango Haze or SSH

Eventually If I can get some funds together, and get more light I'll dedicate footprint to making f1, s1 with the best haze I found for us Piff lovers.
I already hit a low odor Oaxacan bx with my frostiest lankiest Haze male with the goal of hybrid vigor, keeping it pure Sat as possible, and letting haze dominate with minimal change to terp profile.
I gotta do a test run and judge them. I wanna see it in someone elses setup with flawless VPD too

Spaventa

Veteran
If I can get some funds together, and get more light I'll dedicate my whole footprint to making f1, s1 with the special haze I found for us Piff lovers.
I already hit a low odor Oaxacan bx with my frostiest lankiest Haze male with the goal of hybrid vigor, keeping it pure Sat as possible, and letting haze dominate with minimal change to terp profile.
I gotta do a test run and judge them. I wanna see it in someone elses setup with flawless VPD too

That’s what I’m talkin bout :)
I want to see more breeders working on these terpene profiles rather than another lemon and fuel tasting, 30%THC high yielding 9 week indica dominant auto fem lol just give me regular beans that produce incense in the room. I don’t mind flowering for 14 weeks and I’m happy with low yield, just the musky smoke please.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Pretty sure its easy to find piff in Mango Haze or SSH
i was going to say that too dr ,
i grew heaps of mango haze before i actually came across one that smelt like mangoes ,
mostly incense , it was easy to find ,, easier than the mango ...

could be my environment that helps bring it out i guess ..

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Yeah, if your humidity is 50% the entire grow you'll probably cook terps out before they start....
I noticed in the haze the key was to keep the stems juvenile, and soft\fuzzy. They'll have incense on the rub in veg all the way through flower...
If your VPD is off the stems will turn woody from nutrient availability issue, and lose terps on stem rub... Then only smell you get is from flowers, but noticeably lower than potential.

I keep my tropical bitchs wet

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Mango Haze = Male: Haze A (Haze x Haze) x Skunk #1; Female: NL5 x Haze C (Haze x Haze) & the A5Hz has that trait, but there isn't any particular landrace (except Col.punto rojo) or any other western genetics without the A5Hz with that particular incense aroma.

rexamus616

Veteran
i got frankincense aromas from all my oldtimers haze girls.... It was only when smoked/burnt that you could smell it tho....

didn't know what the smell was until i went to a catholic funeral recently.... the priest guy had that brass ball he'd swing around and bless the casket with, pumping out the frankincense smoke....

also had a single 'amnesia lemon' from barneys, it had a little bit of an incense aroma, but only after it had cured a while....

the_niño

Yeah, if your humidity is 50% the entire grow you'll probably cook terps out before they start....
I noticed in the haze the key was to keep the stems juvenile, and soft\fuzzy. They'll have incense on the rub in veg all the way through flower...
If your VPD is off the stems will turn woody from nutrient availability issue, and lose terps on stem rub... Then only smell you get is from flowers, but noticeably lower than potential.

I keep my tropical bitchs wet

what do you try and keep your humidity at?

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
frankincense pheno of Neville´s haze, after drying turned gold/brown.

picture.php

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Those making hybrids using Original Haze or THH, have you found that you get faster flowering hybrids using haze as the mother plant as opposed to using haze as the pollen donor? I used haze as the father for several hybrids in hopes of harnesting some of that famous hybrid vigour. The only cross where haze (Indian) was the mother is looking a lot faster flowering than the others. Can't make too many assumptions based on one cross only, so any similar experiences?

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
I think its the same mother or father. it depends on other parent. I crossed same males to bunch of cuts. some were up to 77 days of flowering, so males didnt prolong the flowering time, some were over 90 days.. depends on combination. the best cross, I did, was with original haze mothers..

Happy Times

frankincense pheno of Neville´s haze, after drying turned gold/brown.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=63627&pictureid=1929078]View Image[/URL]

View Image

Interesting to hear that on the cure, I did a Moonshine Haze a couple years back that cured up similarly in color

Way lighter and golden than some other strains after the same amount of curing time. Looked similar to your pics too. Do you think that’s a chunky pheno of Nevs H. or fairly representative?

Last edited:

Raho

Veteran
Those making hybrids using Original Haze or THH, have you found that you get faster flowering hybrids using haze as the mother plant as opposed to using haze as the pollen donor? I used haze as the father for several hybrids in hopes of harnesting some of that famous hybrid vigour. The only cross where haze (Indian) was the mother is looking a lot faster flowering than the others. Can't make too many assumptions based on one cross only, so any similar experiences?

I do not believe flowering speed is a sex linked trait, but the ability to recognize the flowering speed of a male as expressed by female progeny versus a female parent plant can be challenging.
You are also (probably) making hybrid outcrosses with hybrids.

Unless you have grown out enough of the parent stock to understand the range of expressions that the line will throw, the only thing anyone could predict would be unpredictability.
Visible traits of the parents vs unexpressed genetics lurking within make the question unanswerable.

What makes you think you have an indian pheno of haze?

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I do not believe flowering speed is a sex linked trait, but the ability to recognize the flowering speed of a male as expressed by female progeny versus a female parent plant can be challenging.
You are also (probably) making hybrid outcrosses with hybrids.

Unless you have grown out enough of the parent stock to understand the range of expressions that the line will throw, the only thing anyone could predict would be unpredictability.
Visible traits of the parents vs unexpressed genetics lurking within make the question unanswerable.

What makes you think you have an indian pheno of haze?

I'll keep experimenting with Original Haze, so far the haze father has been dominant for late flowering. I wasn't being very clear, what I used for that particular cross (with Mextiza stock) was an Indian Haze female, so actually Kerala x Original Haze.

Here's the actual plant, must be at over ten weeks in the picture and was harvested at 120-150 days

So imagine my surprise when a hybrid seedling from this plant is looking to be ready in less than ten weeks. I hope I'll have an opportunity to photograph it before chopping!

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I just brushed Original Haze pollen on the hybrid mentioned on the previous page. Am I going overboard? :laughing: I just can't stop thinking about Neville's Haze but with Mextiza to fatten it up instead of Northern Lights. Time will tell!

While we're on the subject of Indian Haze I'll link some rare outdoor shots from this haze thread.

picture.php

picture.php

That's exactly how they look. Clearly distinguishable from pure Original Haze. That red stem is something I would expect to see in a Kerala phenotype of Ohaze if there are any..

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
I just brushed Original Haze pollen on the hybrid mentioned on the precious page. Am I going overboard? :laughing: I just can't stop thinking about Neville's Haze but with Mextiza to fatten it up instead of Northern Lights. Time will tell!

While we're on the subject of Indian Haze I'll link some rare outdoor shots from this haze thread.

View Image

View Image

That's exactly how they look. Clearly distinguishable from pure Original Haze. That red stem is something I would expect to see in a Kerala phenotype of Ohaze if there are any..

I rather expect a red stem from a Colombian punto rojo.Had one growing with red in the stem as a classical Colombian pheno.