What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Pre-gaming for the 2015 Outdoor Season

Team Microbe

Veteran
Yeah raft makes sense due to load size .... the light duty rafts would be perfect to toss a couple bales in and tow them behind a kayak or canoe ... but it does suck popping one and watching how fast it sinks .... have a few patches and an air pump just in case.

Those tubes look really good man... how did you secure the cloth and hog wire? I'm havingine over lap 6"(fencing) and using metal wire from the $ store.

Well Ham it all depends on your environment and what works for your grow site... I grow in very urban areas that have parcels of secluded land such as swamp but have heavy traffic around them ... I find these areas quite secure because Joe shoe won't got into the swamp or fenced off land and neither will a hunter due to the proximity or houses/people and business. So I can't be hauling buckets and such in/out and I need something I can leave out year after year without issue.

I looked at grow bags too but they just didn't suit what I wanted as I'd rather not grow in plastic bags that don't get a huge amount of oxygen flow .... the burplap will most definitely allow the roots to grow through .... think about how thick a smart pot is and roots grow right through that as long as there is soil and water to grow into. Plus if need be I can pick them up and move them early in the season due to flooding or lack of water.

My tubes are simple field fencing cut to make tubes about 18diameter and 18"/22" tall. Once the fence is secured I slip it inside the burlap bag and fold the sack in so that the fencing is completely covered .... now fill with soil. This will soak up water but it will also dry out and increase oxygen to the upper root zone to prevent soggy soil with wet feet that causes root rot.

The fencing is cheap .... tractor supply ... feed store and farm stores have fencing for good prices ... 47" x 330' long for $150 .... I'm cutting the roll in half @ 23.5" x 660'long.

My 18"x18" tubes will hold about 20-25gallons of soil.

It sounds like we have very similar ways of building tubes man... however mine don't have bottoms and aren't mobile unfortunately. I like yours because you can actually move them in case of an emergency!

For the tubes I built - I just cut 18'' wide 2'-3' tall cylinders out of the fencing, rolled them up, and cut the end so it wasn't smooth (leaving about 15 wires hanging there that I bend into hooks). After hooking the cylinder closed I take pliers and really squeeze the hooks closed tightly - the same can be done with $ store wire though I just didn't have any at the time.

Then like the burlap bag, I just wrapped the inside and out with landscaping fabric and mended it to the wire with black zip ties. These can be flattened for transportation and then re-shaped after getting into the swamp, but honestly - lately I've been planting straight into the ground and will raise the soil up into a mound incase of any floods. That's about it... oh and I like to dig a moat around the mound to collect any rain water.

That potential site that requires the raft is about an hour away from me, most of my sites are within the 30 min mark and like yours, under everyones noses so to speak. I have one in the far end of a Nature Preserve, where the trails don't go and where you have to walk by train track to get to. Gotta watch out for rail workers, but that's about it so I really like that spot. I found out some guy was driving his ATV around the border of the swamp this fall after I harvested (I found his trail) and it literally goes right past my grow... about 200 yards away. It's hidden by the tree line and swamp bushes but it just goes to show how close you can really be to people and still pull something off like a bumper crop :biggrin:

GEMiNi GENETiCS

Nice size tubes! Are all your containers the same size or are you experimenting?

I might try a few taller and a few wider then 18"x18" ... just to see what works best for each plot.

Lots of tests this year w strains, soil and container sizes.

Haha ... too funny how close the ATV guy was! Human proximity can work well for stealth depending on the situation and how many plants .... I pulled 7# out of a plot inside a large fenced parcel of land used by a construction company for heavy equipment storage .... plants less than 100m from where they drop off equipment. Luckily the terrain funnels most of the smell away towards the woods and remote portion of the land. Making mounds this year and looking to triple my harvest if all goes well...just depends how stinky things get.
You ever thought of hauling bales out on a sled during a snow storm? Thats what a buddy up in Maine does in remote areas ... storm hides his tracks and snow buries the evidence till spring .... I've thought about it but I gotta drive at least 30min which would suck if I get stuck ... maybe if I get a 4x4 pickup.

Team Microbe

Veteran
Nice size tubes! Are all your containers the same size or are you experimenting?

I might try a few taller and a few wider then 18"x18" ... just to see what works best for each plot.

Lots of tests this year w strains, soil and container sizes.

Haha ... too funny how close the ATV guy was! Human proximity can work well for stealth depending on the situation and how many plants .... I pulled 7# out of a plot inside a large fenced parcel of land used by a construction company for heavy equipment storage .... plants less than 100m from where they drop off equipment. Luckily the terrain funnels most of the smell away towards the woods and remote portion of the land. Making mounds this year and looking to triple my harvest if all goes well...just depends how stinky things get.
You ever thought of hauling bales out on a sled during a snow storm? Thats what a buddy up in Maine does in remote areas ... storm hides his tracks and snow buries the evidence till spring .... I've thought about it but I gotta drive at least 30min which would suck if I get stuck ... maybe if I get a 4x4 pickup.

Yeah they're all the same size, they were originally 4' tall but I soon realized how ridiculous that was so I cut them in half lol. I still think they're too big, if I could go back I'd make em 30 gallons or so.

But yeah it's crazy how close he was all summer long... I'm gonna keep the plant count under 10 in that spot this year just to be safe. I should be fine though...

If only Google Earth had an option that we could check off that told us where human traffic has been and what hasn't been tracked on... maybe some day lol. I feel like some spots that may seem risky at first end up being golden because of the scenario at hand. Lately I've been looking for people with land that's inhabitable... patches of land that need to really be bush wacked to get inside of and that wouldn't attract anyone for any reasons... not even hunters. It's hard to find those places but once you do I feel like you can plant there year after year as long as you're careful and play your cards right not to expose the location. God damn I can't wait for snow to melt around here, I need to get out there and scout already!

I haven't tried the sled method, but it's pretty clever... I'll admit. If there weren't so many downed logs in the swamp I grow in I could get away with that I bet.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
God damn I can't wait for snow to melt around here, I need to get out there and scout already!

you and me both brother..hell i been digging holes in feb lol it got up to 71 other day and i took full advantage of it..i feel like i didnt even get to grow last year to be honest bc of all the troubles i had,but now armed with all the new things i have learned its killing me..march 25th cant get here fast enuff!!!!

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Been thinking about utilizing the kayak strategy. Great way to get to seldom visited spots. Hunters usually only go places they can get to on foot. Also a great way to avoid having a noticeable trail.

First thought that went through my head though was that I guarantee I'll go back to my canoe to leave and there'll be a fucking snake under it lol.

Also, it might be worth it to get a canoe as opposed to a kayak. More cargo capacity.

Team Microbe

Veteran
you and me both brother..hell i been digging holes in feb lol it got up to 71 other day and i took full advantage of it..i feel like i didnt even get to grow last year to be honest bc of all the troubles i had,but now armed with all the new things i have learned its killing me..march 25th cant get here fast enuff!!!!

Hell yeah my man, you're not gonna know what to do with all of that bud come early October... you just wait! :biggrin:

Been thinking about utilizing the kayak strategy. Great way to get to seldom visited spots. Hunters usually only go places they can get to on foot. Also a great way to avoid having a noticeable trail.

First thought that went through my head though was that I guarantee I'll go back to my canoe to leave and there'll be a fucking snake under it lol.

Also, it might be worth it to get a canoe as opposed to a kayak. More cargo capacity.

It really is I feel like, I've never done this before but thinking outside the box is what we need to do sometimes as guerrillas. I was debating a blow up raft, but if I can somehow transport a canoe up there that would be a good bet too. Talk about storage space!

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW

i agree shak it is a great way to get to very secluded spots..i wish i had a river or stream close to me. i would for sure get the canoe bc of just what u said alot more space to carry stuff in bc if u dont have the space then thats gonna be alot of paddleing back and fourth over and over which will get very tiring i would imagine..fkk those snakes man!! lol
Hell yeah my man, you're not gonna know what to do with all of that bud come early October... you just wait! :biggrin:

It really is I feel like, I've never done this before but thinking outside the box is what we need to do sometimes as guerrillas. I was debating a blow up raft, but if I can somehow transport a canoe up there that would be a good bet too. Talk about storage space!
Hell ya!!cant wait man..im hoping to crop some before then like the easy sativa,heribei,green poison fast version..hopefully see a mid sept harvest bc of my lat! or at least that is the plan but we all know how good the plans work out for mother nature Lol :laughing: that would be a first time right there haveing to much bud

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
not really... very risky

sometimes the reward is worth more then the risk..thats why u gotta go scout the spot before hand..Tm did all the leg work on the spot last year..set up deer cams and recorded traffic of rail workers etcetc..thats what i do as well when going to a new spot..i wont just go dig a hole there..i have to investigate the area while im still clean and not packing just in case that wont be the best area

Team Microbe

Veteran
not really... very risky

Yeah that's what my buddy was saying too - I know how to read railway lights and tell if a train is coming though, and there's a long straight away after the first bend that I start on to see trains from a ways aways.

The trail cams showed about 6 trains coming by every day, and rail workers that drive on the rails go home around 5pm. It still is risky though, I'll admit. The location is too good to give up though, you just have to keep your wits about you when traveling on the tracks.

I built the cart light enough so if need-be I can unload the whole thing by flipping it over and off of the tracks. I only do this at night, so the lights really warn you when they're comin close. It beats hauling bales on my back 2 for miles I'll tell you that much... last year the 1st 4 bales practically exhausted me for the entire first half of the pre-season. Then I built this cart and hauled the other 12 out in one night :biggrin:

MostWantedGens

is it really worth to bring that peat to the spot? I would use coco bricks or fertilizer pellets mix into the soil, this "soil cart idea" is just not worth the risk.

yea sometimes we play with our life when we do the outdoor thing, sometimes its fun, sometimes not.

anyway I dont think that need that much that peat to do this crazy thing.

you must be young and you only see this solution to improve the soil... the huge peat block.

Team Microbe

Veteran
is it really worth to bring that peat to the spot? I would use coco bricks or fertilizer pellets mix into the soil, this "soil cart idea" is just not worth the risk.

yea sometimes we play with our life when we do the outdoor thing, sometimes its fun, sometimes not.

anyway I dont think that need that much that peat to do this crazy thing.

you must be young and you only see this solution to improve the soil... the huge peat block.

Cut the attitude man I've seen it before, go smoke a bowl and relax instead of calling guys out online.

It's not playing with my life anymore than driving my car from point A to point B every day... that's actually more risky than what I'm doing here. I'm 27 too, and bring in peat for it's CEC and to break up the clay found in the ground I grow in. It takes a few hours to bring out enough peat to grow 10 lbs with, I think that's worth it... no? If my native was rich enough I'd plant directly in it like I do in other places. Do you have any more advice you'd like to throw out there?

And btw young people can carry more wisdom with them than 70 year old men, not sure if you were aware of that :tiphat:

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
Cut the attitude man I've seen it before, go smoke a bowl and relax instead of calling guys out online.

It's not playing with my life anymore than driving my car from point A to point B every day... that's actually more risky than what I'm doing here. I'm 27 too, and bring in peat for it's CEC and to break up the clay found in the ground I grow in. It takes a few hours to bring out enough peat to grow 10 lbs with, I think that's worth it... no? If my native was rich enough I'd plant directly in it like I do in other places. Do you have any more advice you'd like to throw out there?

And btw young people can carry more wisdom with them than 70 year old men, not sure if you were aware of that :tiphat:

u cant help some people they already know it all..trolls will be trolls! the key word is his previous post was "I dont think" which we all know opinions are like assholes everbodys got one,arguing with trolls equal's feeding him,thus fulfilling his twisted desire to abuse and be abused hence why he will be on my ignore list..i got on Ic mag to learn all i can not type back and fourth about this and that. thats just counter productive to me and if im not learning nothing new then im wasting my time..
i got my last orders in today btw 6 fem church and Fantasmo Express by Mephisto Genetics Automatic..i have never ran any autos but im gonna give it a shot this year since i got 2 with my orders..will be nice to get some early smoke in it..i will do the autos here at the house just stick them in the backyard with my veggie garden

Last edited:

Team Microbe

Veteran
u cant help some people they already know it all..trolls will be trolls! the key word is his previous post was "I dont think" which we all know opinions are like assholes everbodys got one,arguing with trolls equal's feeding him,thus fulfilling his twisted desire to abuse and be abused hence why he will be on my ignore list..i got on Ic mag to learn all i can not type back and fourth about this and that. thats just counter productive to me and if im not learning nothing new then im wasting my time..
i got my last orders in today btw 6 fem church and Fantasmo Express by Mephisto Genetics Automatic..i have never ran any autos but im gonna give it a shot this year since i got 2 with my orders..will be nice to get some early smoke in it..i will do the autos here at the house just stick them in the backyard with my veggie garden

Well said brother. "...Ain't nobody got time for that!"

Big ups on the seed order too, that reminds me I've gotta get some beans poppin if I wanna take cuttings this year. Might not have time anymore but we'll see... can't wait to see how your Church turn out :dance013:

I had to clean some posts. Please stop offtopic and trolling in this thread.

Thanks Explosiv :tiphat:

Team Microbe

Veteran
Well, it's almost March everyone! Outdoor season is right around the corner... now if this F'in snow would just melt so we could start scouting up here in the north...

I've began popping seeds this week, and I hope to grow these out large enough to take cuttings from on 4/20 - giving me a month to root them out and harden off for the big transplant day (June 1st).

picture.php

7 feminized Serious 6 seeds

picture.php

7/7 germ rate! I have a good feeling about this strain...

picture.php

It's supposed to be mold resistant, finish early (end of Sept.), and half of the phenos will express these vibrant pink pistils that are just eye grabbing to say the least. I'm told that they don't stay pink for long into the curing process, but I'd still love to take some nice photos with the sun shining through those pistils. Has anyone grown this outside yet? I'd love to hear some feedback on what she can do.

picture.php

I found this badass machete for chopping brush to clear sites with, it should be here any day now! Fuck yeah. I haven't really begun to buy any tools/amendments for this spring yet but by the end of the month I'll buy everything I need for the most part. I still need to find my sites and figure out exactly what methods I'll be using at each one, and then I can dial in the tools I'll need to bring to those specific sites.

ghostmade

Veteran
May i also recommend one of those foldable tree saws.they come in handy.not only to helf clear the ot out but also to help speed up harvest.fck cutting down plants branch by branch.cut the whole thing down and put it in a tarp till you get to you last plot.then bust it down into garbage bags.anyways it just a suggestion

Latest posts

Latest posts