What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Love these leds already

Attachments

• 20170301_235511.jpg
    20170301_235511.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 18

shigoga

Wow... excellent!! I would have sent you one of the 45 watt versions for free to test. I like the 45 watt model because of the higher percentage of UV and IR emitters. So far, they seem to be doing okay for me.

Be aware, the wattage of those lamps are WAY overrated. My 45 watt lamps only draw 15.3 watts. What I like about them is the variegated mix of color spectrum.

Hey man, one month later the bulbs arrived from China:
LKGT1V1.jpg

Ki5YhVV.jpg

7DAVxKo.jpg

So i ran these babies through the spectrometer and as expected they dont match up to the product description, theres basically no 380nm UV and not a hint of 650-660nm red, there should be more red then blue but it look like the opposite is true here, which is strange since there are more red diodes on the board then blue, they must be very inefficient to have such a low output compared to the blue, this graph is for the "45w" bulb, the other two were the same but with even less violet.

oiSkdSu.png

brown_thumb

Hey man, one month later the bulbs arrived from China:
View Image

View Image

View Image

So i ran these babies through the spectrometer and as expected they dont match up to the product description, theres basically no 380nm UV and not a hint of 650-660nm red, there should be more red then blue but it look like the opposite is true here, which is strange since there are more red diodes on the board then blue, they must be very inefficient to have such a low output compared to the blue, this graph is for the "45w" bulb, the other two were the same but with even less violet.

View Image

OUCH!! That sucks. At what distance was the test sensor from the emitters? Did you move it around to test for color uniformity?

shigoga

OUCH!! That sucks. At what distance was the test sensor from the emitters? Did you move it around to test for color uniformity?

about a foot of distance, i started close and moved away until the highest peak was touching the the graph ceiling.

i did move the bulb around in a small circular motion to see if there's and change on the spectrum but there wasn't, probably because the LED diode beam spread is very wide without a lens.

i did see a small bump in the IR range when i moved the sensor much closer, so close that the violet bump was off the scale so kinda insignificant, but its there..

brown_thumb

about a foot of distance, i started close and moved away until the highest peak was touching the the graph ceiling.

i did move the bulb around in a small circular motion to see if there's and change on the spectrum but there wasn't, probably because the LED diode beam spread is very wide without a lens.

i did see a small bump in the IR range when i moved the sensor much closer, so close that the violet bump was off the scale so kinda insignificant, but its there..

Well, that's bad news for my lighting investment $$$ but... THANK YOU for the information. I now know I need to replace these lamps.

Hen

I think red diodes are driven much lower than blue for some reason. Still, it's pretty poor of the manufacturer not to include at least 4 bauds (2 reds, two blues). It's great you have access to this spectrometer, so we can get an indication to what these kinds of lights are putting out. I have a couple of custom lights from China. It's great fun to design your own spectrum. Here is my latest

pdwptTV.jpg

Truchoxki

Led in big rooms

Led in big rooms

Hi guys I was looking for led in my veg and flower rooms but they are too big to use bulbs. Knowing that I need between 25/30 w/sqft I was wondering If I can use string led SMD 5050 High Power about 60 Led p/meter, 14,4 W, 720L, 3000k. If anyone used it can share his experience.

jonhova

Hi guys I was looking for led in my veg and flower rooms but they are too big to use bulbs. Knowing that I need between 25/30 w/sqft I was wondering If I can use string led SMD 5050 High Power about 60 Led p/meter, 14,4 W, 720L, 3000k. If anyone used it can share his experience.

The "spacebucket" community swears by those as side lighting. I wouldn't bother personally.

A pack of 750 lumen 60 watt equivalent bulbs is around ~$10 at lowes.

A handful of cleat based sockets are $1 each on 1000sofbulbs and wire is dirt cheap.

When you have more money upgrade to the 14 watt 1500 lumen bulbs.