What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

argo430

Veteran
12/12 from seed with a 315cml and 200W of 3000k

12/12 from seed with a 315cml and 200W of 3000k

here is the northern lights redux (open pollination of several NL types) 12/12 from seed project with a 315 W CMH and 200W of 3000K led bulbs for supplementing the main one.

Attachments

• tent 37.jpg
    tent 37.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 31

grouchy

Take a look for bulbs while you are out traveling. Sometimes different utility companies will offer heavily discounted prices on energy saving products including light bulbs at local retailers. This used to be the case with cfl bulbs ten years ago at least.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Hey man, one month later the bulbs arrived from China:
View Image

View Image

View Image

So i ran these babies through the spectrometer and as expected they dont match up to the product description, theres basically no 380nm UV and not a hint of 650-660nm red, there should be more red then blue but it look like the opposite is true here, which is strange since there are more red diodes on the board then blue, they must be very inefficient to have such a low output compared to the blue, this graph is for the "45w" bulb, the other two were the same but with even less violet.

View Image

i got those 2 larger ones and supplemented with 2700k

picked up 20 10watt 2700k bulbs FROM THE 99 CENT STORE and cut off the tops.

now need tips on mounting all this LEDS.

:tiphat:

SamsonsRiddle

i've been reading through and had a pretty simple question. I run household led's during veg before switching to my "Mars 100x3" changed to a Mars CXB3590 72v 3500k x4 @ .55-6 mA. The fucker is powerful in a 2x2 space.

Anyways, i've always wondered what is the recommended distance from bulb/reflector to the top of the plants with 100w equivalent leds? Right now i have 2x6500k and 1x2700k about 12 inches away.

HorseBadoritiz

I've been looking for something to supplement a 4000K LEC for bloom. I picked up 4x of those ebay 18W Gro Light leds, but after I saw the spectrometer reading, I figured I'd better try something else, lol!

Home Depot carries Cree stuff, and even though the bulbs are made in China, the company is local, and I like to support that. So, I went to get 4x 100W equivalents, and of course, HD only had 3, lol! So, I got a Philips, too.

The Crees have a regular globe, which pops off pretty easily, but the Philips looks like this:

picture.php

picture.php

The end of the globe is open, and there's some sort of hardware in there... maybe a reflector, IDK? Before I mangled something, I just wanted to know if anyone has popped open one like this, and if it still worked afterwards, lol!

The Cree is supposed to be an actual 16.5W, and the Philips 18W. I put both of the brands on a Kill O Watt meter and the Cree reads 18W and the Philips 20W!

On another note, Duke Power is our energy monopoly, and is subsidizing energy efficient bulbs, so both the Philips and the Cree 100W eq are $6.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Over at the San Diego's Finest thread, we somewhat accidentally showed that screw in LEDs are as bright (or brighter) at the canopy than 630w CMH. I have been getting similar readings with my phone's light meter app, but was happy to see a real light meter come up with the same measurements.

Cliffs:
10w LED cover on: 5,500 lux @ 12" / 11,000 lux @ 6"
10w LED cover off: 7,500 lux @ 12" / 15,000 lux @ 6"

14w LED cover off: 10,000 lux @ 12" / 20,000 lux @ 6"

16w LED cover off: 12,000 lux @ 12" / 24,000 lux @ 6"

630w CMH: 5,200 lux @ 24" / 10,500 lux @ 12" / 21,000 lux @ 6"

Yes, I realize that those aren't PAR figures. Calm the hell down. :laughing:

Medfinder

Chemon 91

argo430

Veteran
So I upped my ppm to 1400 and dropped the ghetto strips to 2" above the tops and i am seeing new pistal growth on 4/6 of the plants under the Ghetto strips I am going to drop the 315 to 18" off the tops and see if it's just the Led's this is promising.

Attachments

• rgsng.jpg
    rgsng.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 24
  • ng.jpg
    ng.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 23
  • tent314am.jpg
    tent314am.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 24
  • ng314am.jpg
    ng314am.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 24
  • nlrd314.jpg
    nlrd314.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 21

n_d_ledz

Just figured, since this is ALL YOUR FAULT Blynx, I would add to your thread!

At the start of the year, I was running a 400w hps in a cool tube over a 36"x18" space...

Now that same space is lit by 2 (roughly) 80w led panels made with the screw-ins...

Not only that, but veg was swapped out from a 2' 2 bulb fluro fixture to 3 9.5w bulbs.....

And then..... of all things..... WTF is this "Space Bucket" anyway? lol, there is a pic of the bucket reflector with 3x9.5w bulbs... things runs a max 87 deg

Oh........ and again thanks to this thread, every bulb in my house is now LED. Total removed including old grow setup was well over 1400w of bulbs, total with grow is less than 400w

Thanks for the insight!

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 25
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 23

TheScrogFrog

Welp boys we finally did it. We finally broke the 1gpw barrier. I can't believe it TBH.

My last run was 107.6G dry with 4 plants in 2gal grow bags under 94.5w of screw-in LED's.

This is only my 3rd run with them, and it's enough to say they destroy any 150w HPS or any combination of CFL's.

Didn't take any pics due to my chaotic traveling lifestyle, but I can assure you this was the best yield I have ever had, CFL, HPS, anything in the past 8+ years.

Also have my 51w tent drying and it looks to be around 2oz as well.

Very impressed.

argo430

Veteran
Welp boys we finally did it. We finally broke the 1gpw barrier. I can't believe it TBH.

My last run was 107.6G dry with 4 plants in 2gal grow bags under 94.5w of screw-in LED's.

This is only my 3rd run with them, and it's enough to say they destroy any 150w HPS or any combination of CFL's.

Didn't take any pics due to my chaotic traveling lifestyle, but I can assure you this was the best yield I have ever had, CFL, HPS, anything in the past 8+ years.

Also have my 51w tent drying and it looks to be around 2oz as well.

Very impressed.

Thanks it was your cab grow photos that got me excited about building some Ghetto Strips! Awesome Thanks.

HorseBadoritiz

@brown_thumb, and anyone else who bought the ebay gro lights that really aren't, I got them to refund the money. Besides the spectrum being worthless, the wattage is not as advertised, so after some hemming and hawing, it was pretty easy. The vendor says they are going to pull the listing, and destroy the bulbs on hand, lol!

Latest posts

Latest posts