What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

argo430

Veteran
After doing some more reading i dropped my ghetto strips down closer to the plants so how close is too close with a 10W bulb?

attachment.php

always a thread killer I'm late to the party as usual but i am loving it..

Attachments

• after doing some reading i dropped the lights further..jpg
    after doing some reading i dropped the lights further..jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 34

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
After doing some more reading i dropped my ghetto strips down closer to the plants so how close is too close with a 10W bulb?

View Image

always a thread killer I'm late to the party as usual but i am loving it..

Not sure what's too close, but 20cm is still good. I've had my 13w bulbs closer a while ago, but then everyhting new stayed terribly bright green... around the center where the light is most intense...
Will not go closer than 20cm if I can avoid it( or maybe in full flower...)
CC

Truchoxki

Hi guys!! I want to change my MH of my veg room, now Im running 2 400w in 40 sqft. So the idea was to use phillips 13w 3000k/6500k 1400 lm. And my questions are:

I'm planning to 16 sqft for veg room and 24 sqft flower room. Veg room whit 10w/sqft and flower 20 w/sqft. Do you think this will be enough?? Or I must duplicate the amount of w/sqft? (no budget)

In terms of spectrum, I've seen that you all mix both. How many bulbs of each heat (3000k-6500k) will be necessary for flower room? And veg room? You mix spectrum as well??

To reach 20w/sqft in the whole room I need to used 60 lamps, but ai think Its to much. it will be better to you more.powerfull lamps such as 20w??

Thanks you.all !! greetings!!
Saludos desde Argentina!

I'm wondering if anyone has directly wired the bulbs together? I took one apart and shoved the wires in a t5 plug and it worked. I'm wondering if I can wire them in a circuit and not use sockets

Attachments

• 20170227_150346.jpg
    20170227_150346.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 15

igrowone

Veteran
I'm wondering if anyone has directly wired the bulbs together? I took one apart and shoved the wires in a t5 plug and it worked. I'm wondering if I can wire them in a circuit and not use sockets

this has been done with cfl's, principle should be the same
the bulb popped and wired straight up with soldering iron
if skilled in the art, it sounds doable

Thanks for the response igrowone. I'm thinking that will be my best bet to maintain as much vertical grow space as possible in my Rubbermaid cab

Attachments

• 20170227_155616.jpg
    20170227_155616.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 19
I am going to try a semi vertical grow in a small space
20170226_152614_1.jpg

have to get some more 30 -40 watt corn cob type leds as they grow only about three weeks from pop now

IMG_20170226_102257_1.jpg

I think cfl' and led work pretty good together

iBogart

Veteran
Wanted to experiment myself, so i bought a 2 pack of Philips 14w 1500lum 5000k and Philips 14.5w 1500lum 2700k. Screwed the bulbs in first to see if they worked and of course they did. Then I popped the globe off the 2700k and fired it and got some impressive lux readings. Popped the globe off one of the 5000k and noticed a more complex circuit board, turned it on and got nothing. Hmmmm. I took the second 5000k and just drilled a hole (the globes are plastic) on the top. I turn it on, nothing. I'm thinking there must be some sort of pressure switch? I mean with the more complex looking circuit board and all. I just can't think of any other reason why they would work with the globes on then drill a single hole on the top, not damaging the board itself, and then it not working.

??????????????

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
My 3'x3.5' Alien Orange Cookies x Alien Dawg Ether at 2.5 weeks under the LEDs:
picture.php

I love the cleat sockets! Here is my hybrid cfl-led Rubbermaid setup hopefully I will have everything wired tonight . 9,350 lumens in roughly 18×18inch area

Attachments

• 20170227_220322.jpg
    20170227_220322.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 18
yeah sure, get some metal strips/bars to mount em on, its a lot of work but it does save you money on sockets and about 3inches of height (and cooler chips)

t5????