What's new

New Caledonia

RenaissanceBrah

@need4weed
Sativas (technically, tropical indicas) can be heavy (eg Malawi, Panama Red) but I wouldn't describe New Caledonia that way. It's stimulating and anxiolytic at the same time - in the ballpark of Tikal or Orient Express - perhaps a bit brighter like Panama Godess phenos, with a euphoria similar to Zamaldelica, but without the intensity that can spill over into disphoria. The comedown is clean - feels like you haven't been smoking.
Dubi says that it is a strain best consumed in the first three months. I am at that point and I do detect some degradation.
Time to vac pack and freeze the remaining Stash.

Thanks for describing the effects, I'm looking to pick up some New Caledonia for my next grow.

Looking for strains that are good for creative work, would you say New Caledonia fits the bill, or would you recommend any other strains as well?

How do you like the New Caledonia effects in general, compared to other strains?

RobFromTX

Thanks for describing the effects, I'm looking to pick up some New Caledonia for my next grow.

Looking for strains that are good for creative work, would you say New Caledonia fits the bill, or would you recommend any other strains as well?

How do you like the New Caledonia effects in general, compared to other strains?

I haven't had the pleasure of trying New Caledonia yet but Ace Honduras is an excellent strain for what you're looking for. Very upbeat active and creative. Ofcourse you have to dial in your tolerance. Overindulgence will land you on the couch watching x-files reruns

RenaissanceBrah

I haven't had the pleasure of trying New Caledonia yet but Ace Honduras is an excellent strain for what you're looking for. Very upbeat active and creative. Ofcourse you have to dial in your tolerance. Overindulgence will land you on the couch watching x-files reruns
Thanks Rob!

From ACE, I'm definitely going to run Congo, Nepal Annapurna, New Caledonia, and Honduras too, you say that'll be the best one for being creative?

I was also looking at Ethiopian, Old Timer's Haze, and Thai.

(Though they don't have Thai at DiscreetSeeds where I need to buy it from for this order. They're giving me replacement Congo and Nepal Annapurna seeds, since last time I popped those, none sprouted, back in 2021.)

Any insight on any of those strains mentioned, for creativity?

RobFromTX

Thanks Rob!

From ACE, I'm definitely going to run Congo, Nepal Annapurna, New Caledonia, and Honduras too, you say that'll be the best one for being creative?

I was also looking at Ethiopian, Old Timer's Haze, and Thai.

(Though they don't have Thai at DiscreetSeeds where I need to buy it from for this order. They're giving me replacement Congo and Nepal Annapurna seeds, since last time I popped those, none sprouted, back in 2021.)

Any insight on any of those strains mentioned, for creativity?

Ive heard very positive things about the Ethiopian being uplifting but i haven't ran any of the strains you listed. The Chang Mai thai is definitely on my to-do list. Im popping some new caledonia as we speak to run with my honduras. The grow tent will be a mad house but i like those functional daytime sativas too (y)

And yes Honduras has a very upbeat effect once you dial in tolerance

Last edited:

Ras Kali Rasta

@RenaissanceBrah
It sounds like you are on the right track. @RobFromTX is steering you in the right direction.
Ace has lots of nice sativas that are not too overwhelming, and are stimulating and relaxing at the same time. Expansive, bright ight, clear, clean, and warm are some descriptors I look for. Dubi's strain descriptions in the catalogue are usually spot on for me.

Strains I've tried that I would recommend are:
Tikal
Orient Express
New Caledonia

Some strains with a bit more zip, that could be good if not over indulged:
Panama Green and Goddess phenos (Panama regular is Panama Goddess × Panama Green)
Panama × Bangi Haze
Zamaldelica regular Zamal/Thai dominant seeds (some will call me crazy for this suggestion)

Some strains that would be on the top of my list to try for the effects you are chasing:
Thai × Panama
Panama Haze (the Panama Goddess × Green Haze seeds)
Zenith (long flowering pheno)

early_bird

Veteran
New Caledonia, Flowering Day 72.
I thought she will never finish, but not i see more and more resin.

A close look shows great trichome development, a dense carpet of trichomes, standing tight to each other, looks very impressive.

She has a very "fresh" smell, kind of aggressive-chemical citrus, with some kinder undertones of oranges, nice.
But the smell is not very present in the room, i have rub und smell with the hand to judge it.

Attachments

• 2023-10-13-0002.jpg
    2023-10-13-0002.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 157
  • 2023-10-13-0001.jpg
    2023-10-13-0001.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 154
  • 2023-10-06-0001.jpg
    2023-10-06-0001.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 160
Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks for the updates @early_bird Beautiful sativa expression of impressive colas, great resin production on the clsoe up as well. If she is showing burnt leaf tips+plants yellowing even when feeded with high levels of nutrients, then most probably is a ph imbalance+nutrient overfeeding, a transplant to just smaller pot with fresh, good soil in correct ph would have fixed that, she is farily well despite that.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
New Caledonia harvested @ 9 weeks of flower, I had 5 females and there is a lot of variety but some very interesting expressions. Here are the first two that went down.

This one had most amazing smell during flower, I compared it some pages ago to a classic SE Asian musky exotic fruit smell, pretty spot on to wild Borneo Asam Embang mangoes. However, as the buds dried it was all gone. It smells now exactly like Mextizas or Oaxaca79, very familiar smell. The high was up and euphoric while fresh, but the cure brought some lethargy, still pretty enjoyable and potent effect. It was my favorite at first but the cure revealed much better phenotype eventually.
View attachment 18894313
View attachment 18894315

This one was somehow a bit overripe on the tops @ 9 weeks, in general I was surprised how fast they all flowered. The best part was the smell - mix of passion fruit, vanilla and chocolate. Amazing smell but the high was bit too heavy for my taste. I definitely liked the longer flowering females much more.
View attachment 18894314
View attachment 18894316

Little preview on the follow up with the longer flowering females, this girl had bright orange musky woody smell, more pics to come!
View attachment 18894317

Glad you are enjoying with the expressions of your 5 New Caledonian females @elanius thanks for sharing pics and your insights about this genetics. Reading your comment, now you know why i described this line as a mix of fine Mexican and SE Asian sativas :)

Curious to know more about the longer flowering expressions you like the most.

Hasch

learning and laughing
New Caledonia - Flowering Day 78
Dubi, as you said, PH in my soil went above 7.3, so she may suffer from a lookout. Hard to correct now, i give her PH balanced water.

But flower development still great :)
View attachment 18906138
I really like the column like structure!

To correct the high ph, did you flush?
What was the waters ph that you used to correct the soil?

elanius

Veteran
Glad you are enjoying with the expressions of your 5 New Caledonian females @elanius thanks for sharing pics and your insights about this genetics. Reading your comment, now you know why i described this line as a mix of fine Mexican and SE Asian sativas :)

Curious to know more about the longer flowering expressions you like the most.

Hi Dubi,

this is definitely unique line to explore and Mexican / SE Asian mix sounds about right. I found very special male leaning towards SE Asian part of the genetics and Im just testing the progeny. Wow the smell this male puts forwards in this hybrid, I have never seen anything like it...

Here is another of the NC females:

This phenotype was one of the longest flowering, still nothing crazy, modest 11 weeks. The plant wanted to continue, but the resin was already ripe at this stage. She had very serrated leaves and great vigor, stretched a lot too. The smell cured to bright musky orange peels with floral background, really nice! The high, potency wise, was on the weaker side (from this selection) and of introspective nature.
DSC_0110.JPG

DSC_0097.JPG
DSC_0064.JPG
DSC_0082.JPG
DSC_0087.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts