What's new

MotherLode Gardens 2015

tyisdead

Excellent work shcrews�� pumped to see these pretty girls with drip lines and more trellis. Looking like hedges hell yessss

milkyjoe

Veteran
Shcrews, some salt ferts seem ok in moderation. I used to be freaked out to use any thinking I'd severely damage microbes, but I use small amounts of calcium nitrate, ammonium sulfate, and n-phuric acid and have plants with sap pH of 6.5 and 18-20 brix this year. The initial nitrate in the soil was between 20-50 ppm after chicken shit and bone meal applications. I think 50-100 ppm is all thats really needed for big plants. I'm still messing around trying to to supply all the n they need with microbes but its hard to do without at least some manure or ground seed or animal products.

It is frustrating to see people treating outdoor soil like a hydro grow though.

This is a totally fascinating topic to me. Couple it with the fact that nitrate (and k)moves through the plant much fasterthan ca and you can understand why nitrate can have
such a horrible impact on plant health. Essentially you are forcing the plant to grow faster than the cells can properly fill in.

Limiting nitrate while getting the plant to take up organic N and getting that ca/b/si trinty working right makes life easy..

We should talk about it sometime

We look at it like si is the highway, ca is the truck and b is the fuel

C

Cep

This is a totally fascinating topic to me. Couple it with the fact that nitrate (and k)moves through the plant much fasterthan ca and you can understand why nitrate can have
such a horrible impact on plant health. Essentially you are forcing the plant to grow faster than the cells can properly fill in.

Limiting nitrate while getting the plant to take up organic N and getting that ca/b/si trinty working right makes life easy..

We should talk about it sometime

We look at it like si is the highway, ca is the truck and b is the fuel

Pretty sure it was you that got me thinking about it more a couple years back. That and the fact that I was starting to pay attention to some conventionally grown produce that was grown really well while the organic stuff next to it looked like shit and rotted days after you brought it home. If you don't need that much N in the soil its just a bunch of money saved on top of not putting any excess in the ground water. Win win.

Shcrews, you have a refractometer yet? Cheap on ebay/amazon if not.

milkyjoe

Veteran
You wanna see bad organic. Get some cal organic winter grown veggies. Tissue test them for nitrate levels. They would be far better off spoon feeding cano3 weekly than dumping omri certified chicken shit and then not having the microbes to cycle the N.

Nuance is not something this ****ry does with its regs

Wth...I can't say **** on this site.

Edit...fuck me runnin backwards...I can't

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
So glad the plants are growing out of their little episode! And wow they are exploding! The plants and sunsets are looking awesome!! The pup is cute as hell too!

Cool the dripline is almost done, no more fire hose will be nice.

Maybe you already said it but where do you get your water?

And last question, the soil mix was just watered with straight water last year and will be this year too? So no nutrients added for two years? That's amazing. I'll have to look up this coot's mix.

Best vibes Schrews!

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
So glad the plants are growing out of their little episode! And wow they are exploding! The plants and sunsets are looking awesome!! The pup is cute as hell too!
thanks. yah i think i was overwatering, things are looking good now except a couple stragglers

Cool the dripline is almost done, no more fire hose will be nice.
Yah drip is damn near finish. will be nice, but the funny thing about that is the fire hose is great compared to the watering wand i was using for years.

Maybe you already said it but where do you get your water?
its from a well

And last question, the soil mix was just watered with straight water last year and will be this year too? So no nutrients added for two years? That's amazing. I'll have to look up this coot's mix.
that is correct. i like the coots mix a lot and the lava rock gives it great structure for outdoor monsters

peace

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
So most of today i was pruning and laying dripline. only have a few more pots to do, so will be finished with that tomorrow.

Then i still need to run the mainline and connect everything, but first i have to put up the second layer of support for the plants. I got 6.5' x 3000' roll of trellis netting , it's green instead of white which is kind of cool.

The plants grew through their first layer of remesh long ago, but for logistical reasons i couldn't install the second layer of support until i finish pruning and installing dripline. Thus it will be a pain to do the second layer, because i will have to pull branches through the netting instead letting the plants take their time to grow through.

Should be able to get all those things done this weekend. I hope the drip system comes together and works ok. i have a feeling the 1.5" mainline is gonna be a pain to work with. I got a rubber mallet to pound in the barbed fittings like byf suggested, but i havent tried it yet

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
1.5" firehose nozzle

With my pump throttle all the way down is about 30gpm. Any higher and the stream fucks up the soil

milkyjoe

Veteran
So about 2.5 minutes per pot.

How long do you calculate the emitters will take per pot? 30-45 minutes maybe...that has to give more even watering. Should allow you to use more water and get faster growth. You is gonna be happy

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Ive been giving them less water lately, like 50-60 gallons every 5 days with the firehose. I think i was overwaterin for a while. I havent hit them since monday

Im doing 120X 1gph emitters per pot . Finishing the dripline today, its not too hot out so thats good

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 21