What's new

moonshine mix

FrankRizzo

Listen to me jerky
So I figured I would ask everyones opinion on what might me happening to my seedlings. They are in Msm minus the pom ferts. I have the full mix to transplant them to once they are bigger and stronger. They where drooping a bit so I decided to water them with just a slight amount of EJ Grow and some green air's synergy. Less than 1/4 strength. They haven't really changed. The ones that where hurting a bit are about the same where as they ones doing good are chugging right along. Someone in my journal suggest my soil ph is off and I'm getting lock out. Being this is the first time they got any ferts and the fact that they haven't gotten any better or worse. You think that is the case? Not to mention I thought that isn't something I should really worry about with this mix.

Here they are

One of the healthier ones

I would like to note that even after getting something to drink they still are droopy :bashhead:

FlamingPoo

looks like over watering to me my cups only need watering every 4-7 days.

Love the mix......so do the ladies.............
12/12 from seed = SK#1, AK-48, GDP(KarmaSeed)

1WEEK

2WEEK
think i found 6 males so far, time will tell. I'm too old and blind to eyeball preflowers

Ray Dogg

bobs your uncle said:
When do you guys add the POM F&F and/or POM Starter? Do you mix it in from the beginning or do you add it when you transplant/pot up?

Also, do you suggest both Peace of Mind Fruit & Flower and the POM Starter or just one or the other.

OK, one more question: I usually like to add a little Hydroguard to my water and maybe some Rhizotonic for the roots when transplanting. Is this practice a no no with the MSM?

Mucho apreciado
hi guys can someone answer thanx

pizzadude

i add the starter mix to the whole bunch of soil, then add the fruit&flower just to the soil i transplant into for 12/12

hbstoner

around day 40 flower and seeing this defficency. i have only been using RO/DI water and deffinatly have not been over watering. Im using the 3 bag mix with POM starter/flower . From here the leaves usualy go yellow so im thinking it might be i N defficency. What do you guys think?

hbstoner...looks like early stages of N def. especially if you are on day 40 of flower. Moonshineman suggests a watering with fish emulsion or some other source of N around the halfway point for long-flowering and hungry strains. Some people add more top dressing of the F&F. Personally, I've tried lots of ways, but would recommend add liquid N ferts just because of their fast action, plus a little microblast and molasses. Some plants show this lack of N earlier/later, it just depends on strain and container size. I used to see it early because I was using 1+2 gal containers, which means there is less food available to the plant, smaller root mass, and smaller nugs. Hope that helps.

JDOG6000

Veteran
I'm growing the Diesel Haze in the moonshine mix and it is yellowing at about half way too.
I'm gonna hit it with some PBP grow and cal mag tomorrow.

G

Seems like the more people use this mix, the more it appears that the mix is not the magic bullet I've hoped it to be. Even with correct watering, I've experienced the same things as many others here (e.g. deficiencies, slight burn, etc).

This is kinda why im using the MSM for my moms but for everything else i've switched to handwatering coco + floranova. I never have to worry about overwatering, different stage plants can get the same nute solution, etc. Also, at the end of flowering, it seems way easier to properly flush.

At first I was attracted to the MSM mix because of its convenvience and ability to have many different strains at different stages all being fed the same.

But the reality seems to be that with the MSM mix, you have to be very careful about the watering schedule and sometimes, the ph. Also, hungrier strains seem to need a bit more than just whats in the mix. You have to be on top of your whole garden.

Furthermore, i've found that if you dont mix the 3 bags, and dry ferts well enough, you get 'hot spots' where the mix is not ideal and you get inconsistent results.

I find that now I'm using coco + flora nova, life is easier in general in that I only have to mix a weak nute solution every week or so, and water with it every day. There's no need to check how dry it is etc. Also, using the flora nova nutes, i never have to use my ph meter anymore. I also can use much less media. A one gallon pot of coco seems to give me way bigger yields than 5 gallon buckets of msm.

As a result of the convenience I'm getting way better results than the MSM mix. Also, I've found a cleaner and better taste using coco with way better yeilds even though its far from 100% organic.

I'm still a fan of the mix as an organic base for a soil grow. But I dont think that the results have proved to be any better or easier than say one of burn 1 's organic mixes. If you take any organic mix and feed very lightly so that the plants are 'clean' at the end, i believe you would get the same results in flavor and quality.

Last edited:

BBWluva

I agree with you a 100% zor,i was thinking this mix was going to be the end of all my growing problems,but i really just ended up with different ones.The fact of the matter is their is no perfect soil mix....

stretchpup

I agree with both of your posts.

I do credit and thank MSM for getting me into "organics" in general though.... I needed help making that transition and that's what MSM did for me. :joint:

:wave:

20308froggie.jpg

J

JollyGreen

The mix is not magic guys, you do have to put in a little work with it.

hbstoner

cool i guess ill go get some pbp grow and some microblast today. other then that ill have to stick up for the mix a bit, i noticed a major diffrence from start flower to now with this mix. buds got big 2-3x faster then before and look and smell even better then before already. btw the strain is sfv bubba kush which is a 80-90 day flowering strain so it figures it needs an extra kick of N in the middle. Thanks guys!

judas cohen

I believe and understand what everyone is saying. I'm not arguing or saying any of you are wrong.... But it seems to work for MoonShineMan....and he has tried many different modifications to the mix and grown various strains in it..... and he's been doing it for years.

Many peeps add dolomite, substitute different soils, grow from seed instead of clones, don't transplant as instructed, veg too long, ignore water pH, use different size containers, overwater, add soil moist crystals, etc., and have problems. It's not just a soil mix, it's a method where everything has a reason.

He said it wasn't the best for yield or the cheapest- just simple and best taste. I think we should all grow the way we like the best. Tweaking is fine for experienced growers, but doesn't work for eveyone. MSM Mix is a great way to grow for some folks, if instructions are followed exactly. (I would smoke everything I saw that Mysta grew in it...and I'm sure I would like it...LOL) YMMV...

mysta177

z0r said:
But the reality seems to be that with the MSM mix, you have to be very careful about the watering schedule and sometimes, the ph. Also, hungrier strains seem to need a bit more than just whats in the mix. You have to be on top of your whole garden.
With the above statment I hope you do this in any grow you do as thats what makes the ladyz shine. :joint:
I hear what your saying and agree with what most the peeps are saying. All things that have been said by most in the last pages have been repeated in this thread several times. I think if more peeps read the whole thread....or msm posts it will make things easier. This mix IMO IS FOR TASTE and personal smoke. If your willing to EXPER who knows what youll find. I do know this......MSMan has done this for years. :headbange
I dont know about you but my buds always have a great taste even if they are not dialed in. I have found that most "cali" kush,bubba and chem i throw in stay green ALL the way thru using distilled water. No matter what I hope all is well with what grow you guys decide to do.

Last edited:

mysta177

lol i must have edited when you were posting.......i know im high but I swear i seen a post of your a min ago. I enjoyed it! And yes I have seen gr8ts thread and thinking of doing a 1 bucket run here soon. Im always down to learn new shit.
I had the pleasure of helping a buddy chop his bagseed og we have been running a couple times.....let me tll you...this is my new fav....over sfvog...sssdh...bubba....and the rest, Smells like pine frootloops. JDogg should be outting this into flower real soon!
MSMix inspired!
9005hunt07_halloween07etc_104.jpg

9005hunt07_halloween07etc_106.jpg

9005hunt07_halloween07etc_107.jpg

9005hunt07_halloween07etc_110.jpg

9005hunt07_halloween07etc_117.jpg

9005hunt07_halloween07etc_126.jpg

Last edited:

zor

mysta177 said:
This mix IS FOR TASTE and personal smoke. Have tou ran a complete grow with this mix? How did it taste? was it diff than the rest? I dont know about you but my buds always have a great taste even if they are not 100% green.
Mysta i found the post in myIcmag -

I've flowered only about 3 cycles using the mix and honestly when i started using the mix, my buds tasted better than ever before. And can confirm that the buds DID have a great taste even if they were not 100% green. Also, when a buddy of mine wanted to setup his own personal grow, i recommended teh mix and it has worked out great for him as a rank beginner. That is what i think the beauty of the mix is... it works very well most of the time on moderate feeding strains. Heavier feeding strains liek ak seemed to need either additional nutes or much larger pots to flower in for my setup. However, once i started comparing side by side of the same strain with just pure coco, i found i was able to get the same taste and way better yields with less hassle in much smaller pots (see grateful head's thread in the coco forum)

My theory, is that the flavor obtained from the mix is from the fact that you are not overfeeding your plants and that the plants are 'flushed' by the end with no fert left over in the plant come harvest time.

Of course, the amended food vs liquid foods could be the difference, but so far, no one, including msm himself has been able to give a reason why this would make a difference, so I'm kind of unsure as well

I'm hoping to do a side by side again with a camera this time so i can actually have my own diary thread ...

Last edited:

FallenBuddha

Chat Mod
Veteran
well thus far i am using the moonshine mix for the first time, and here is a pic of the kids who seem to be loving it, they are 6 original haze clones, and 9 plants from seed, still unsexed at this point, which include: 3 jack flash x superskunk (a freebie from the seed boutique) 2 haze heaven from soma (bought 2 years ago and 2 for 2 on popping) 2 stella blue (seeds were in some stella i got at anyday 2 years ago) 1 sensi star from paradise (only 1 of 5 popped) and 1 mr nice x the pure (a cross from my bro). here is some pics of them:

all 6 hazes

haze1

haze2

haze3

haze4

haze5

haze6

haze heaven1

haze heaven2

jack flash x superskunk1

jack flash x superskunk2

jack flash x super skunk3

mr nice x the pure

sensi star

stella blue 1

stella blue2

the seeds were popped on sept 21, and the closes were procured oct 7.

i will keep updating them as the grow goes.

peace -fb