What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

gumzgi

I saw that you guys use the dehydrator many times to dry the cob, my question is; After sweat / ferment, how long do you dry your cobs in the dehydrator at 35c,how you know that it is dry enough to age only and to be sure that it wont ferment anymore from that point?
What kind of room would it be better to keep the cobs stored? I mean the place where you are going to keep it for the long term? the pantry where I keep the jam jars would be ok to keep them there in vaccumseal? I think that the rh does not fluctuate in that chamber, it remains stable and theres a little vent hole from the outside.

CDNINCA

Hi @gumzgi, great questions! I don't use a dehydrator and will be interested in the responses from those who do use one.
I keep my cobs stored vacuum sealed and placed in a cardboard box in a closet. The temp is pretty stable and doesn't vary much. I'm not sure if light would affect the cobs as they are aging so I keep them in the dark just in case.
I've made wine for many years and light is not a friend of wine, especially wine that you want to age for a while. Not sure if that also applies to cobs but what the heck, I keep them in the dark.
Cheers!

gumzgi

i have seen tangwena uses dehydrator too when he dries the cobs at some intervals
its not about the dark , i had a year ago some cobs keept in the room that i sleep and here the rh vary alot and my cobs blacked out alot , im sure when i dryed them in the 1st stages i didnt dryed enough and there was still to much moisture in the cob and some got black and so i lost the flavor and that speedy high.
i will try dry more this year , gonna start make some cobs in a week

Tangwena

Veteran
i have seen tangwena uses dehydrator too when he dries the cobs at some intervals
its not about the dark , i had a year ago some cobs keept in the room that i sleep and here the rh vary alot and my cobs blacked out alot , im sure when i dryed them in the 1st stages i didnt dryed enough and there was still to much moisture in the cob and some got black and so i lost the flavor and that speedy high.
i will try dry more this year , gonna start make some cobs in a week
Hi my friend its better to start with drier buds that way they ferment less and keep more terps and speedy effects.
I am sorry I cant give you a definitive RH but I do not have a meter and just go by feel and experience.
I know that is not much help but SLOW drying of the buds to the stage that you could roll a joint and smoke it is the best I can do.

The cobs will darken over time if not completely dry during storage so if you reach a stage during the cure that you like the result of.
Its best to dry the cobs to the same RH as you would for say jar cured buds as this will halt any further change.
I do store my cobs in a dark place but thats just for security on my part but it cant hurt.
And just like wine maturing its an ongoing process over time.
In the case of cobs the moisture content is the key once cured its not needed.

Latest posts

Latest posts