What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
In February 2024, I tested adding a few drops of sauerkraut juice to a semi-dry flower in order to vacuum pack it immediately.

I left it on the radiator for a few days (approx. 35-40°C/ 95°-104°F) and then forgot about it in the cupboard until yesterday.

Here are a few photos of this test piece. (front and back)
View attachment 19032372

View attachment 19032373

On opening, a pleasant, spicy pepper aroma was noticeable, very unusual for the Afghan Kush/WW, the piece was also still a little soft with some residual moisture.
Today, after a day, it is already a little drier and smoky flavours are added. I am absolutely fascinated!

View attachment 19032374

View attachment 19032375

The macros show (I assume) the bacterial activity, you can see some kind of crystals.
I'm curious to see how other experiments will go with it, with other strains, for next season.

View attachment 19032376

View attachment 19032377

View attachment 19032378

Grey mould can neither be seen nor smelled.

As usual with fermented pieces, the effect is wonderful, for me somehow "rounder", more pleasant than conventionally dried flowers.

So the experiment was a success. (y)

View attachment 19032379
However it happened that looks like a beautiful cure I love the colors.

Tmik

Testing moisture on a fresh cob.
experimenting so don’t take this for “the way”.

Amnesia Haze
These were fairly moist to the point where it probably wouldn’t even light to smoke. I use a Cannatrol so these were day 2 of 5 for drying cycle…so fairly wet.

pressed in a 2x4 mold, vac bagged and sweated for 48 hours at 104F in a yogurt maker.

opened and dried for another couple days down to just under 20% in the cannatrol and then vac bagged again.
i’ll let them ferment for a month or two. I’ll check in a month how they smell and look But probably 2 months at this higher moisture level.

then Cannatrol dry again until down to 12% moisture and rebag for 6 months.

I have 2 other cobs, same stuff, same process but they started at different original moisture levels. One wetter, one drier. I want to get a better idea of how starting moisture level affects the end product.

IMG_5359.jpeg

Tangwena

Veteran
Testing moisture on a fresh cob.
experimenting so don’t take this for “the way”.

Amnesia Haze
These were fairly moist to the point where it probably wouldn’t even light to smoke. I use a Cannatrol so these were day 2 of 5 for drying cycle…so fairly wet.

pressed in a 2x4 mold, vac bagged and sweated for 48 hours at 104F in a yogurt maker.

opened and dried for another couple days down to just under 20% in the cannatrol and then vac bagged again.
i’ll let them ferment for a month or two. I’ll check in a month how they smell and look But probably 2 months at this higher moisture level.

then Cannatrol dry again until down to 12% moisture and rebag for 6 months.

I have 2 other cobs, same stuff, same process but they started at different original moisture levels. One wetter, one drier. I want to get a better idea of how starting moisture level affects the end product.

View attachment 19032734
Yum that looks really tasty brother love the experiment on the different moisture levels to.
This is the sort of documentation that is worth its weight in gold man.

ost

Hello, guys
7 months ago, I made cobs for the first time and I'm sure that the fermentation went well View attachment 19031894 View attachment 19031895 but I think that the temperature in the crockpot was too high, and because of that I lost the 60-70% of taste, but the feeling of being high is very strong View attachment 19031898 View attachment 19031897 . greetings from sunny :headbange🌞Croatia View attachment 19031899 Stay healthy and high:rasta:
my wife got up,YESTERDAY mornng took one look at me and wanted to know how many i had smoked, when i told her none,i held u my cob selection ,half way thru a cup of cottee she wants to know if i can drive to town,no way ,so she drove i became the cup,holder
+;)

ost

In February 2024, I tested adding a few drops of sauerkraut juice to a semi-dry flower in order to vacuum pack it immediately.

I left it on the radiator for a few days (approx. 35-40°C/ 95°-104°F) and then forgot about it in the cupboard until yesterday.

View attachment 19032372

View attachment 19032373

On opening, a pleasant, spicy pepper aroma was noticeable, very unusual for the Afghan Kush/WW, the piece was also still a little soft with some residual moisture.
Today, after a day, it is already a little drier and smoky flavours are added. I am absolutely fascinated!

View attachment 19032374

View attachment 19032375

The macros show (I assume) the bacterial activity, you can see some kind of crystals.
I'm curious to see how other experiments will go with it, with other strains, for next season.

View attachment 19032376

View attachment 19032377

View attachment 19032378

As usual with fermented pieces, the effect is wonderful, for me somehow "rounder", more pleasant than conventionally dried flowers.

View attachment 19032379
looks good from here!

Shua1991

View attachment 19032372

View attachment 19032373

View attachment 19032374

View attachment 19032375

View attachment 19032376

View attachment 19032377

View attachment 19032378

View attachment 19032379
This was a hypothesis I wanted to test out too! I'm glad someone here used a bio-starter, but instead of sourkraut I want to use larf! Thanks for confirming a bit of what I wanted to know. I've got about 2 months to start trimming some plants and begin a canna-ferment starter, my hypothesis was- get as much surface area covered by the bacteria and then they should out-compete any local mycelium/spores without the need for higher temperatures(where terps break down) and while nullifying the "stank" as lactic acid bacteria is known to do.

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
This was a hypothesis I wanted to test out too! I'm glad someone here used a bio-starter, but instead of sourkraut I want to use larf! Thanks for confirming a bit of what I wanted to know. I've got about 2 months to start trimming some plants and begin a canna-ferment starter, my hypothesis was- get as much surface area covered by the bacteria and then they should out-compete any local mycelium/spores without the need for higher temperatures(where terps break down) and while nullifying the "stank" as lactic acid bacteria is known to do.
Sounds interesting if you can get the same or better high with more aroma its got to be a winner.

Lehmi

I want to use larf!
Sorry, I don't know the word "larf" and deepl can't provide a stringent translation. Is there another, international term for it?

I'm really looking forward to hearing about your experiences with your version! (y)

....without the need for higher temperatures(where terps break down) and while nullifying the "stank" as lactic acid bacteria is known to do.
What surprised me the most was that the typical lactic acid smell was hardly or not at all present, but there was this pleasant spiciness and peppery-smoky aroma!

At 35°C and in a vacuum, it obviously hardly loses any terpenes, but they are (I assume) converted.

Next season I will probably test a mixture of lactic acid bacteria, yeasts and photosynthetic bacteria. It is known here under the name "Effective Microorganisms", EM.

Shua1991

Sorry, I don't know the word "larf" and deepl can't provide a stringent translation. Is there another, international term for it?

I'm really looking forward to hearing about your experiences with your version! (y)

What surprised me the most was that the typical lactic acid smell was hardly or not at all present, but there was this pleasant spiciness and peppery-smoky aroma!

At 35°C and in a vacuum, it obviously hardly loses any terpenes, but they are (I assume) converted.

Next season I will probably test a mixture of lactic acid bacteria, yeasts and photosynthetic bacteria. It is known here under the name "Effective Microorganisms", EM.
"Larf" are premature flowers that won't amount to much, an acronym for "light and really fluffy"

Lehmi

"Larf" are premature flowers that won't amount to much, an acronym for "light and really fluffy"
Thanks for the explanation!

So the fresh buds are supposed to replace the corn leaves and provide the pre-dried buds with more of cannabis' own enzymes, is that the idea?

So instead of the enzymes only being on the outside of the corn leaves, the enzymes can also work immediately from the inside because the fresh leaves are mixed into the whole cob.

Have I interpreted this correctly?

Baba Karuna

i am at a lost as far as the meaning to names and such,Om Mani Padme Hum ?
Mother’s Light is a hybrid I created from Egyptian 🇪🇬 Himalayan 🇮🇳 Pakistani 🇵🇰 and Afghani 🇦🇫

Om Mani Padme Hum is a mantram of compassion. It attunes the mind to be free from negative attachments/suffering and encourages happiness, compassion, devotion, and liberation. It is also used as a blessing to encourage the joy and freedom of others 🙏🏼

I pray this has answered your question 😊

🪷Om Mani Padme Hum🪷

Last edited: