What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Magic Mushroom Grow Kit?

goingrey

Must be a different Paul Stamets. The guy I'm talking about isn't a musician, he's a mycologist.

Interesting factoid that I just discovered last night. For anyone who is a fan of the Star Trek franchise, one of the newer shows (which you can find on the Paramount + channel) is called Star Trek Discovery. The show takes place on the starship Discovery, and one of the characters is an officer (I think of the science variety) who invented a new advanced starship drive called the "spore drive." It uses mushroom spores in a weird and whacky way to propel the ship faster than dilithium crystals.

Anyway, this officer's name is... Paul Stamets... named after the same Paul Stamets who is famous in the world of mycology, and a magic mushroom guru. When I realized that this character's name was Paul Stamets I got a big kick out of that!
I think you underestimate the connection between the Grateful Dead and mycology. :D

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Must be a different Paul Stamets. The guy I'm talking about isn't a musician, he's a mycologist.

Interesting factoid that I just discovered last night. For anyone who is a fan of the Star Trek franchise, one of the newer shows (which you can find on the Paramount + channel) is called Star Trek Discovery. The show takes place on the starship Discovery, and one of the characters is an officer (I think of the science variety) who invented a new advanced starship drive called the "spore drive." It uses mushroom spores in a weird and whacky way to propel the ship faster than dilithium crystals.

Anyway, this officer's name is... Paul Stamets... named after the same Paul Stamets who is famous in the world of mycology, and a magic mushroom guru. When I realized that this character's name was Paul Stamets I got a big kick out of that!
No one does more hallucinogenics than dead heads.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I miss Jerry.

I know some die hard fans don't like that they kept playing after Jerry died but I love what happened with the family on tour.

I toured with Phish after Jerry died but I will always love Shakedown Street and the family I found.

It's pretty cool to hate on jam bands these days so I appreciate them bringing it to a close because so much has changed and today is not yesterday.

I think Stamets made a great choice to witness that and completely respect him. I'm also going to admit a bit of envy.

But just a bit. :D

Would have loved to see him in the lot :yoinks:

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I got my 30 year old daughter to listen to the very best of the Grateful Dead, and she's now addicted! I'm not sure if she's ready to progress to live recordings and endless jams, but will work on it.

Back on mushies, I tried the Uncle Ben's method and it was only half successful. Half beautiful mycelium, the other half black mould. I dumped it in my garden and had small potent mushrooms come up for weeks, during winter too. What are the chances it will get established in a garden? Is there anything to improve my chances? Thought of dumping cow dung on it.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
What are the chances it will get established in a garden? Is there anything to improve my chances?

It really depends on the climate and location.

Cow dung probably couldn't hurt. My brother dumped some spent grain on and in a stump that the tree of had fallen over a creek bed and the mycelium overwintered and ran all the way across the creek in two years.

We get pretty hard winters here occasionally.

My advice is give it a few diets to try and see which direction it goes in!

exoticrobotic

What are the chances it will get established in a garden?

Most of the Psilocybes and active Panaeolus grow on decaying/dead grass roots or dung so there is a good chance they will grow on grass/lawn.

I've just had lawn laid in South East UK and when i came back from holiday there were 30 or so shrooms popping up.

IMG_2373.jpg

Not exactly sure what the mushrooms are. I would guess Panaeolus Cyanescens but they are supposedly a dung loving tropical species so not sure.

From wikipedia :- Panaeolus cyanescens is a coprophilous (dung-inhabiting) species which grows in tropical and neotropical areas in both hemispheres.

i definitely know they are not deadly poisonous....

after the blue staining on bruising i started munching on a few.

Very nice they are too!

exoticrobotic

The bluest of the lot was placed on the lawn covered with a glass for spores to drop along with lots of Psilocybe Semilanceata dust from previous gatherings...

As there is a large established mycelium layer in the lawn i hope the Psilocybe Semilanceata will take quite easily.

I will get some US wood chips in the raised beds hopefully for some Psilocybe Cyansecens.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Most of the Psilocybes and active Panaeolus grow on decaying/dead grass roots or dung so there is a good chance they will grow on grass/lawn.

I've just had lawn laid in South East UK and when i came back from holiday there were 30 or so shrooms popping up.

View attachment 18882784

Not exactly sure what the mushrooms are. I would guess Panaeolus Cyanescens but they are supposedly a dung loving tropical species so not sure.

From wikipedia :- Panaeolus cyanescens is a coprophilous (dung-inhabiting) species which grows in tropical and neotropical areas in both hemispheres.

i definitely know they are not deadly poisonous....

after the blue staining on bruising i started munching on a few.

Very nice they are too!
Was just discussing on another site. Pans 1 gram is like three cube. The deadheads in 70's must have had pans. Also taking prozac you need way more. Quit about a week ago, and going to microdose next weekend. That actually works and lasts about a month, also quit drinking for that month, last year.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i've had folks that should know (hey, they're still alive!) tell me that there are several different types of psilocybes that grow wild here in east Tennessee, but i need a hell of a lot more education on the identification part before i'd start eating the ones that i find.

Loc Dog

Veteran
i've had folks that should know (hey, they're still alive!) tell me that there are several different types of psilocybes that grow wild here in east Tennessee, but i need a hell of a lot more education on the identification part before i'd start eating the ones that i find.
That is biggest problem. Have grown many cubes in the old days, but have no idea what would look like them, since millions of varieties/strain mixes. Not a big fan of growing on manure teks indoors.

exoticrobotic

I've picked a few different wild Psilocybe Semilanceatas and Fimeterias but all from pastures with sheep in them. No woodland Psilocybes as i'm too worried about misidentification.

Following the sheep in the fields while munching really helps.

These shrooms are proper medicine.

Loc Dog

Veteran
I've picked a few different wild Psilocybe Semilanceatas and Fimeterias but all from pastures with sheep in them. No woodland Psilocybes as i'm too worried about misidentification.

Following the sheep in the fields while munching really helps.

These shrooms are proper medicine.
I have major long time depression since 2001 and prozac is waste of time to me even at max dose. Just tunes you out and more depressed and do not want to do anything. 1.2 grams from pf tek during year break from prozac, listened to favorite old music videos on youtube, with them quickly learning what I like, was smiling and laughing a lot. Friend I see once a month said he does not remember seeing me so happy. No real trip but extreme enjoyment of headphone music.

Last edited:

exoticrobotic

I've had depression off and on for years.

I tried Prozac when it first came out and didnt like it, Citalopram was a lot of fun for a while but too wired and could drink like a fish on it, Seroxat was a bit better but microdosing 1 to 3 Psyilocybes a day blows them all out of the water.

With shrooms i'm happier, more interested in things, less anhedonia, more energy, less muscle and joint pain, better blood flow etc.

Loc Dog

Veteran
I've had depression off and on for years.

I tried Prozac when it first came out and didnt like it, Citalopram was a lot of fun for a while but too wired and could drink like a fish on it, Seroxat was a bit better but microdosing 1 to 3 Psyilocybes a day blows them all out of the water.

With shrooms i'm happier, more interested in things, less anhedonia, more energy, less muscle and joint pain, better blood flow etc.
Have a friend whose kid microdoses everyday. I know for tripping 5 day break is suggested. Think for brain receptors to clear. Is microdose everyday since not overwhelming receptors but feeding slowly.