What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Magic Mushroom Grow Kit?

Sub24ox7

Man I don’t know what I’m doing at all lol..
My friend said don’t overthink it. He also said it was fun to grow them but quit because he had so many mushrooms he definitely didn’t need more. They are in a monotub with vents. What should I be doing to promote air flow etc..

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
ok so I blotted the droplets… most of them and blotted up the little bit if yellow water on too in one spot and sprayed over it with some h202 fifth.

That yellow orange stuff is basically mycelium "pee" ... Metabolic terminus, as far as it's concerned. Wick that shit away 👍

What should I be doing to promote air flow etc..

Fan the tub with a clean fanning surface... this is preferably not the lid of the tub but usually is...

Do this at least twice a day manually.

Sub24ox7

Ok I will do that, it had basically stalled I guess because I was not fanning it, I hadn’t opened the lid.
Any way I should regulate humidity?
Thank you for the help!
I kind of just jumped into this without looking lol.. should have maybe done more research.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Ok I will do that, it had basically stalled I guess because I was not fanning it, I hadn’t opened the lid.
Any way I should regulate humidity?
Thank you for the help!

Just fan with the lid and give a few very fine mists from a spray bottle against the force of the fanning and let just the finest drops in there.... casing is an option but don't try it now because you have pins...

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
In nature that mycelium is going to grow until it becomes exposed to air where it breaks the surface of the soil and breathes fresh oxygen and waits for rainy days to make a getaway.

Carbon dioxide build up means that it's likely to believe that it has to grow more... but your stuff is pinning tiny dots that are waiting to fruit into mushrooms.

I don't know how long it has been but if they don't do much in a few (5) days then maybe soak and retry.

Maybe leave the lid very slightly askew and try fanning three times a day for a few seconds and leaving the lid all the way off for a couple minutes.
Play God.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
In nature that mycelium is going to grow until it becomes exposed to air where it breaks the surface of the soil and breathes fresh oxygen and waits for rainy days to make a getaway.

Carbon dioxide build up means that it's likely to believe that it has to grow more... but your stuff is pinning tiny dots that are waiting to fruit into mushrooms.

I don't know how long it has been but if they don't do much in a few (5) days then maybe soak and retry.

Maybe leave the lid very slightly askew and try fanning three times a day for a few seconds and leaving the lid all the way off for a couple minutes.
Play God.
I grew a bunch 15 years ago, and getting back into it. Have the LC and grain jars down, but tek I used I can not find anywhere. It used kitty litter trays, which are dirt cheap and resist mold. Have seen videos using a layer of coir, 2 quarts of grains, another layer of coir, than mix and put thin casing layer. I remember covering them with tin foil and putting into cabinet set around 78F to colonize, then into shotgun fruiting chambers to fruit, I think 72F. Do you think there is any issue covering the litter trays with foil??? Do they need any fresh air exchange at that point, or is CO2 going to build up? The tek was on shroomtalk which is gone, and guy that posted it took it down soon after posting when he got pissed off at them. Think he went by the name Hunter or Hunter GT.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I grew a bunch 15 years ago, and getting back into it. Have the LC and grain jars down, but tek I used I can not find anywhere. It used kitty litter trays, which are dirt cheap and resist mold. Have seen videos using a layer of coir, 2 quarts of grains, another layer of coir, than mix and put thin casing layer. I remember covering them with tin foil and putting into cabinet set around 78F to colonize, then into shotgun fruiting chambers to fruit, I think 72F. Do you think there is any issue covering the litter trays with foil??? Do they need any fresh air exchange at that point, or is CO2 going to build up? The tek was on shroomtalk which is gone, and guy that posted it took it down soon after posting when he got pissed off at them. Think he went by the name Hunter or Hunter GT.

The idea of the foil is to increase the co2 level and then, when your substrate is colonized to spec, introduce fresh air exchange, lower temperature, and light to induce fruiting.

mike-or-ozzy

From Mushplanet

The ideal growing conditions

You can divide the growing process into 3 periods. Here below are described the ideal circumstances for the Psilocybe cubensis. Some circumstances are a little bit different for other species.

Incubation period: This is the period when you have inoculated your substrate with spores and placed them in a warm and dark place so they can germinate and grow to healthy mycelium.

• temperature 28-30°C
  • total darkness
  • humidity 97-100 %
  • fresh air exchange: 0
  • period: 2-4 weeks
Incubation

Pinhead formation: The period when you place the mycelium for the first time in a place with (indirect) sunlight and a lower temperature. The mycelium will start to form mushrooms. The mushrooms in their smallest state are called pinheads.

• temperature 22-24 °C
  • indirect sunlight
  • humidity 97-100 %
  • period: 5 – 10 days
Pinheads

Cropping: When the first pinheads have shown up it’s time for cropping, growing up to adulthood. A lot of fresh air and a somewhat lower humidity is preferred.

• temperature 22-24 °C
  • indirect sunlight
  • humidity 90 – 95 %
  • fresh air exchange: 3 times a day (minimum)
  • period: 3 – 7 days
Cubensis

Of course we understand that not everybody has the equipment to fully reach these perfect conditions. But as said before, they are ‘ideal’. Psilocybe Cubensis in particular is easy to grow and it tolerates a lot when it comes to ideal growing circumstances.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
the amount of c02 that they throw when colonizing is nuts. seen a ppm meter max out in seconds at 15000 in a large sealed room. read this the other day poor fella hopefully they go easy on him
https://people.com/connecticut-man-allegedly-ran-mushroom-factory-out-of-house-8387321

They fare pretty well during the colonizing phase at ideal cannabis growing temperatures and definitely expel co2 at an extreme rate.

Keeping colonizing tubs above the canopy height and just outside of the intake fan and help both organisms in a beautiful symbiotic relationship.

While fruiting the mycelium breathes quite a bit but the required cooler temperature makes ducting off-site and/or cooling necessary... if you want the fresh oxygen to be available and for the co2 to be returned to the plants.

That bust broke my heart to read about.

Young man and likely a first offense should play well in the court as long as a good lawyer is working his case.

He made quarter million bail so he's likely to have a liar on retainer. Fingers crossed, he was working towards a better society.

The question is whether or not he goes back to the task after his "debt" to society has been paid.

Loc Dog

Veteran
From Mushplanet

The ideal growing conditions

You can divide the growing process into 3 periods. Here below are described the ideal circumstances for the Psilocybe cubensis. Some circumstances are a little bit different for other species.

Incubation period: This is the period when you have inoculated your substrate with spores and placed them in a warm and dark place so they can germinate and grow to healthy mycelium.

• temperature 28-30°C
  • total darkness
  • humidity 97-100 %
  • period: 2-4 weeks
Incubation

Pinhead formation: The period when you place the mycelium for the first time in a place with (indirect) sunlight and a lower temperature. The mycelium will start to form mushrooms. The mushrooms in their smallest state are called pinheads.

• temperature 22-24 °C
  • indirect sunlight
  • humidity 97-100 %
  • period: 5 – 10 days
Pinheads

Cropping: When the first pinheads have shown up it’s time for cropping, growing up to adulthood. A lot of fresh air and a somewhat lower humidity is preferred.

• temperature 22-24 °C
  • indirect sunlight
  • humidity 90 – 95 %
  • fresh air exchange: 3 times a day (minimum)
  • period: 3 – 7 days
Cubensis

Of course we understand that not everybody has the equipment to fully reach these perfect conditions. But as said before, they are ‘ideal’. Psilocybe Cubensis in particular is easy to grow and it tolerates a lot when it comes to ideal growing circumstances.
Thanks. That is interesting. Is fresh air detrimental during pinning?? I used to move to shotgun fruiting chamber, but sounds like I could cover with clear plastic and drop temperature.

Loc Dog

Veteran
the amount of c02 that they throw when colonizing is nuts. seen a ppm meter max out in seconds at 15000 in a large sealed room. read this the other day poor fella hopefully they go easy on him
https://people.com/connecticut-man-allegedly-ran-mushroom-factory-out-of-house-8387321
I thought 1500 was dangerous for a grow room. Wouldn't that much be fatal?

Found this -

• Short Term Exposure Limit (STEL): 30,000 ppm for 15 minutes
  • Long Term Exposure Limit (TWA): 5,000 ppm average over 8 hours

Last edited:

mike-or-ozzy

ok so I blotted the droplets… most of them and blotted up the little bit if yellow water on too in one spot and sprayed over it with some h202 fifth.

Found this on shroomok.com

Transparent yellow-orange-brown liquid without slime and smell are secondary metabolites or waste products of the mycelium.

Yellow liquid on mycelium Mycelium metabolites or mushroom pee
Often formed due to stress: temperature changes, drafts, direct sunlight.

Mycelium metabolites can be caused by minor contamination, usually bacteria. As a result of fighting between mycelium's immune system against competitors metabolites appear.

Metabolites are often confused with contamination called Mycogone (aka Wet Bubble).

🆘 Mycelium become yellow, beige or brown

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Thanks. That is interesting. Is fresh air detrimental during pinning?? I used to move to shotgun fruiting chamber, but sounds like I could cover with clear plastic and drop temperature.

Fruiting is usually pinning in terms of temps/air/humidity so that's just fine.

Light introduction would be helpful and the plastic could provide a better microclimate for the pin initiation.

Just throwing it into fruiting would be just as acceptable, in my opinion.

mike-or-ozzy

Fruiting is usually pinning in terms of temps/air/humidity so that's just fine.

Light introduction would be helpful and the plastic could provide a better microclimate for the pin initiation.

Just throwing it into fruiting would be just as acceptable, in my opinion.

I found this shrookok.com site is very informative, reasons for failures, etc, proper temp., humidity at the different stages of growth.