What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Magic Mushroom Grow Kit?

h.h.

Veteran
Purple Mystic.
From the web…

Description​

Originating from cow pastures in East Plant City, Florida, this variety was collected and named Purple Mystic by “Blackdove” for the purple ring that develops around the cap of this mushroom in the wild.

Purple Mystic was distributed to members of the mycology community where it was collectively stabilized and domesticated. Quickly gaining in popularity, this fast-fruiting and prolific variety display large brown caps that fade to cream with maturity, and long, uniform stems. As veils break and spores drop the entire canopy takes on a purple hue.

Purple Mystic is suitable for spore researchers of all experience levels.

h.h.

Veteran
Picture from my “ruined” substrate. I kept it locked up in the tub to see what grew. It actually looks pretty clean. Smells good. It’s going into the potting soil mix. There’s no point in pushing it. It’s just a hobby.
77873E89-D33A-4EBF-9401-C8D51E2A227B.jpeg

Then a picture of the actual non fruiting cake I received.
9BBE1596-B208-4E0A-ABD9-676FECD421D2.jpeg

I had holes in my tub, which they covered, explaining about Colorado's dry climate.
The cost was $100 with a gift for every $100 spent. A 3g chocolate bar. Old to some. New to me.
Half was good. I’ve been here before. 1976 I think. I’m not into tripping as much. I found myself getting bored with it. Without prior experience of any kind, I’d cut that in half. It’s a learning curve. You get to the point where there’s nothing left to learn.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Air exchange is just as vital for fungus as well as humidity.... I think that might be cobweb mold on the casing/substrate... are you fanning and spraying or did you actually leave it closed the whole time?

What are you using for humidification inside the tub with the cake in it?

h.h.

Veteran
Air exchange is just as vital for fungus as well as humidity.... I think that might be cobweb mold on the casing/substrate... are you fanning and spraying or did you actually leave it closed the whole time?

What are you using for humidification inside the tub with the cake in it?
I left that tub closed up as a test.

I was told to leave the cake sitting for a day before doing anything. Let it acclimate. Then fan it about 30 seconds twice a day. Mist down the sides of the box. I have a humidifier from one of my egg incubators that puts out a nice fog. I saw a video of a guy using a lizard humidifier. It’s the same thing.

OpenPollenSeeds

Growkits are awesome , but dont follow their advice

DONT put it in a plastic bag and spray it daily .
make a PROPER fruiting CHAMBER
put it in a plastic box , about 30-40cm in height with separate lid , and fill it up 3-4cm of wet perlite , and drill the holes 2-3cms above perlite level all around the box.

when the growkit starts fruiting , refresh air daily by waving the lid

h.h.

Veteran
It’s a grains and incubation service. I’d say it was pinning yesterday when I picked it up, but that would be on the verge of being illegal. I paid for it the day before over the internet. I’m sure it wasn’t pinning when I paid for it. Therefore technically it was legal. If you’re viewing this picture outside of the great state of Colorado, I’m just making this all up. A.I.

h.h.

Veteran
This is not mine. It would be a little quick. This is what I can order and pick up downtown. Reasonably priced. You do have to pay tax. It’s a legit business. The roots of legalization.
View attachment 18825361
The growth so far has been the opposite of the cake pictured. The main growth being around the edge, channeling up around the plastic with a small clump right in the middle. I’m thinking a water issue. Not sure which way to go.

541090E1-EE4D-44F4-8778-AE0F8E71D5F3.jpeg

The proprietor took my tub and set up the cake. I have faith that he did it correctly. I’m using a “Humidikit” for misting. Using cooled boiled water, I was noticing a white haze over the caps. I went against advice and used a regular mister bottle full of distilled to slightly rinse them off. I have a distiller. I should have been using it. I’m misting roughly 4 times a day instead of 2 and letting it run longer. I do see a few bigger droplets in the bottom of the tub.
The picture was taken through the lid. I like the clear lid. Every video I see as well as the kit I bought had an opaque lid. I don’t know why. Critique away.
Temperature averaging 74*.

5FB935AC-A234-4884-95E7-2297E7C68A04.jpeg

h.h.

Veteran
The dark side of the cake (who thought I was gonna say “moon”?) is just shadow.
After upping the mist, changing to distilled, I’m seeing more fruit in the field.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I birthed some PF tek cakes a few days ago, but when I made them I inoculated some uncle bens brown rice packs just for a laugh. Well, they seem to have worked very well! I'll be running a shoe box bulk in the next few days.

Quite excited that the uncle bens worked as I also came across a video suggesting I can transfer some grains from rice packet to rice packet! I also think I could do the same with a clone. In other words instead of cloning to agar, I don't see why I can't clone directly to an uncle bens?

h.h.

Veteran
I can’t reply with any authority. My understanding so far is that agar is just used as a method to isolate the mycelium. It’s not necessary.. Starting in a clean environment should minimize the risk. I imagine it would take longer to colonize. You couldn’t take advantage of the shotgun effect of overpowering contaminants. If it goes sour, I imagine you’ll figure it out. I mean I wouldn’t do it out in the barn.

Latest posts

Latest posts