What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

It's the Climate, stupid

h.h.

Veteran
Perhaps the co-op was a natural progression in your town with Walmart being the newcomer for the Johnny-come-latlies to shop and wonder why anybody would shop elsewhere.
I’ve had brief periods of living completely off of the grid. My downfall has always been my addictions. Milk and coffee. I don’t want to milk a cow everyday and I can’t grow coffee.
Did you work on the fire in Whitewater?

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Perhaps the co-op was a natural progression in your town with Walmart being the newcomer for the Johnny-come-latlies to shop and wonder why anybody would shop elsewhere.
I’ve had brief periods of living completely off of the grid. My downfall has always been my addictions. Milk and coffee. I don’t want to milk a cow everyday and I can’t grow coffee.
Did you work on the fire in Whitewater?
…you can get winter Avocados (from Mexican Cartels) in Walmart for 60 cents a piece. People on a budget you know. We are members of the co-op here…but I never go in…wife does for coffee mostly. Farmers Market every Saturday. That works well.

Never had a desire to live off the grid…or get crazy living in a cave or anything. I just spend an ample amount of time camping and running in the mountains. I was on the road for a year and 8 months doing just that…before living in Silver.

Besides I have a social wife with a business in town. She ain’t going to live too far out.

Don’t remember a Whitewater…

I worked off the Cleveland NF..Descanso is where the Laguna Shots are out of. Smokejumped out of Redding…so all over the west. East too. Crossed into Mex a time or two

* I was using unpasteurized goat milk bought from a local ranch. Sold as pet food. That shit is awesome…$5 a gallon. But…then Covid killed some of that family (well to be real…they were obese and not healthy) ….cutting off my supply. Looking for a new one.

Goat cream this dead lady (rest in power) used to make me. Pricey but worth it. I miss it in my coffee.

Last edited:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
…you can get winter Avocados (from Mexican Cartels) in Walmart for 60 cents a piece. People on a budget you know. We are members of the co-op here…but I never go in…wife does for coffee mostly. Farmers Market every Saturday. That works well.

Never had a desire to live off the grid…or get crazy living in a cave or anything. I just spend an ample amount of time camping and running in the mountains. I was on the road for a year and 8 months doing just that…before living in Silver.

Besides I have a social wife with a business in town. She ain’t going to live too far out.

Don’t remember a Whitewater…

I worked off the Cleveland NF..Descanso is where the Laguna Shots are out of. Smokejumped out of Redding…so all over the west. East too. Crossed into Mex a time or two

* I was using unpasteurized goat milk bought from a local ranch. Sold as pet food. That shit is awesome…$5 a gallon. But…then Covid killed some of that family (well to be real…the were obese and not healthy) ….cutting off my supply. Looking for a new one.

Not as good as the goat cream this dead lady (rest in power) used to make me. Pricey but worth it.
Harvests

1660416241827.jpeg

1660416421141.jpeg

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Yes, Jalisco landrace. The photo is Panama. I can survive here on what grows in my tiny back yard and along the carretera.

We used to go to Puerto Escondido…Mexican Pipeline…back in the late 90’s. The Highland Oaxaca flowers were the every day smoke. I hope it still is down there. We are still figuring out how to start wintering there again.

I eat avocados every day. Thanks to international trade…it’s possible to get them around the calendar.

h.h.

Veteran
More like long term camping than homesteading. Working when I could. Catching fish when I wasn’t No luxuries other than a huge backyard. Some call it homeless. “Off the grid “ is more up to date and sounds cooler.
Never liked running uphill. I liked running down the canyons. Rock hopping and all. As I got older, I started using pools. I found I could go even faster, plant one side while rounding the corners. Ski down the scree. Wore a hole in my pants sliding a few thousand feet down San Gorgonio. I was tired that day and wanted to sit down. Camp was at the bottom.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
More like long term camping than homesteading. Working when I could. Catching fish when I wasn’t No luxuries other than a huge backyard. Some call it homeless. “Off the grid “ is more up to date and sounds cooler.
Never liked running uphill. I liked running down the canyons. Rock hopping and all. As I got older, I started using pools. I found I could go even faster, plant one side while rounding the corners. Ski down the scree. Wore a hole in my pants sliding a few thousand feet down San Gorgonio. I was tired that day and wanted to sit down. Camp was at the bottom.
San G got hit with T cells yesterday. Had runner friends up there when it happened…they had to turn back. Big wash outs.

I love uphill grinding and downhill bombing. As free as…I’ll ever be.

h.h.

Veteran
San G got hit with T cells yesterday. Had runner friends up there when it happened…they had to turn back. Big wash outs.

I love uphill grinding and downhill bombing. As free as…I’ll ever be.
The Cactus to clouds trail out of Palm Springs makes a good downhill sprint.

It may have been the Sawtooth Complex Fire that crossed over a bit into Whitewater. There’s some tight canyons up there. They can always use a good washing out.

Hempy McNoodle

Scotland cut down 14 million trees to make way for wind turbines​

"The tree removal seems especially ironic given that world leaders supposedly agreed to end deforestation by 2030 at the recent COP26 climate summit in Glasgow, Scotland."

Hempy McNoodle

Interesting! Thanks for sharing! :tiphat: I'll check it out when I have some time!

Here is the PDF...

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Where do people live that they can harvest in August ?

I'm still waiting for seedlings, planted late, to show their gender.
Speaking for myself, those photos are not current but could be. Many things, including some varieties of cannabis can be harvested year round here at about 5000 feet central Mexico. Some varieties of cannabis I must use supplemental outdoor light with (any sort of light) to hold off flowering until the plant has reached a desirable size. Then the light is discontinued and the plant flowers.

It is especially difficult growing CBD varieties, which are mostly acclimatized to north of about 30-40* and best at about 50* The first attempt from seeds presented with 6 inch tall fully finished plants with mini-flowers.

The sativa landraces do just fine although there is one fairly wide-leaved local variety that is a stumper. I guess it is a wide leaf sativa. :cool:

1660499121714.jpeg

Squash ready soon.
1660499238909.jpeg

Three Berries

I see a lot more wildlife now than what you did 30 years ago. Got foxes living down by the creek. Eagles, Blue Herons, turtles (the pond is full of them) Buzzards, Owls, Hawks. When the ash trees were infested with the green ash borer there were 7 different kinds of woodpeckers around.

My backyard this morning, feral cat and fox.

Fox and Feral cat.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts