What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

It's the Climate, stupid

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I believe the world is billions of years old. And I did not say the ice age made dinos disappear. And dinos did fly before there were birds.
It was inferred in that the plants almost went extinct due to the lower CO2 conferred by the ice; yet unproven by you; those plants which previously supported a vibrant dinosaur population.

h.h.

Veteran
I think this comic representation of price differences between a chain store and a local co op is actually backwards. Chain stores sell more, there for they can sell things cheaper, like Walmart for instance...... . But yeah, if all stores were local and there were no mega stores, it would be true, in a perfect world right?
Peoples had very little overhead and a very small markup. As a volunteer, I worked for food. Only the manager was paid and very little at that. I want to say a 10% markup, but I don’t really remember. Cheese , nuts, and all were bought in volume and packaged on site. The food was fresh and organic. No crap was sold. There was no Walmart with Slim Jim’s on the counter. Walmart and Costco have learned from the process. I can buy in bulk from Costco, split it with the neighbors and save. Kind of the same thing. Some of the co-ops have gotten greedy.

I think the comic may have been from 1975.

Three Berries

It was inferred in that the plants almost went extinct due to the lower CO2 conferred by the ice; yet unproven by you; those plants which previously supported a vibrant dinosaur population.
You have no knowledge of the climate cycles on our mother earth though out time?

Just what are you judging to be a perfect climate and how did you get that idea?

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Peoples had very little overhead and a very small markup. As a volunteer, I worked for food. Only the manager was paid and very little at that. I want to say a 10% markup, but I don’t really remember. Cheese , nuts, and all were bought in volume and packaged on site. The food was fresh and organic. No crap was sold. There was no Walmart with Slim Jim’s on the counter. Walmart and Costco have learned from the process. I can buy in bulk from Costco, split it with the neighbors and save. Kind of the same thing. Some of the co-ops have gotten greedy.

I think the co-ops are blanketed under the same organization these days. I honestly…can not be in any of them. Full of frail looking smug types. The kind brothers and sisters who seem fake as fuck.

During the masked segment of the covid thing….it was particularly…annoying. Those people were shit scared to buy their organics.

Same people crying about evil Big Pharma…willingly held their arms out to them.

Yes it’s a generalization of the crowd…but on the money accurate.

Blacklivesmatterwebelieveinsciencewebelieveinloveetcetcetc

Last edited:

Three Berries

This time of the year in the Midwest with the corn and beans growing full blast the CO2 is swinging nearly 100 ppm between dawn (high) and dusk(low). Yesterday was low of 395 and a high of 475 this morning.

h.h.

Veteran
I think the co-ops are blanketed under the same organization these days. I honestly…can not be in any of them. Full of frail looking smug types. The kind brothers and sisters who seem fake as fuck.

During the masked segment of the covid thing….it was particularly…annoying. Those people were shit scared to buy their organics.

Same people crying about evil Big Pharma…willingly held their arms out to them.

Yes it’s a generalization of the crowd…but on the money accurate.

Blacklivesmatterwebelieveinsciencewebelieveinloveetcetcetc
Like the back to the land movement where they all moved to the mountains?

h.h.

Veteran
I was talking about in comparison to the smugness of the back to the land movement. We all got our thing.
It costs $50 to get incorporated in Colorado, then its $10 annually. It takes 5 minutes on the internet. Then you’re automatically a rich overlord.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
I was talking about in comparison to the smugness of the back to the land movement. We all got our thing.
It costs $50 to get incorporated in Colorado, then its $10 annually. It takes 5 minutes on the internet. Then you’re automatically a rich overlord.
You know what I mean though. Obviously. The Cooperative Scene is just that…in these times.

St. Phatty

You have no knowledge of the climate cycles on our mother earth though out time?

Just what are you judging to be a perfect climate and how did you get that idea?

Have you heard of another Pyrocene ?

I read about one 250 million years ago or 400 million years ago. Wildfire was especially prevalent for a few decades or centuries.

h.h.

Veteran
You know what I mean though. Obviously. The Cooperative Scene is just that…in these times.
There was greed in those times leading up to these times. Take the good and leave the bad.
I was a punk kid living in a treehouse by the beach. I learned some things from the experience. I learned to eat well with little money. The difference between nourishment and just eating to fill yourself up.
It was a stepping stool for me allowing me to get a paying job and into an apartment. However that’s when living at the beach started to suck.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I have said nothing of the kind. How did YOU get this idea? I only challenged your statement that the ice age caused a lower CO2 globally and the close extinction of plants.
What if the ice age was caused by an over abundance of gases co-mingled with CO2 which collapsed suddenly freezing > dry ice syndrome?

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
There was greed in those times leading up to these times. Take the good and leave the bad.
I was a punk kid living in a treehouse by the beach. I learned some things from the experience. I learned to eat well with little money. The difference between nourishment and just eating to fill yourself up.
It was a stepping stool for me allowing me to get a paying job and into an apartment. However that’s when living at the beach started to suck.
I respect that experience.

I’m living in my own reality. Been doing it for a while. My damage impact on this planet or on others living on it…are pretty minimal I’m thinking. Pursuing happiness and health. As per plan

I’m not a collectivist. Always individual.

…suffering is necessary

Three Berries

I have said nothing of the kind. How did YOU get this idea? I only challenged your statement that the ice age caused a lower CO2 globally and the close extinction of plants.
What if the ice age was caused by an over abundance of gases co-mingled with CO2 which collapsed suddenly freezing > dry ice syndrome?
What if ....

Where I live it's considered the Worlds Greatest Farm Area. Nice flat ground with deep sand and an good loamy top soil. It like that because at the end of th elast ice age a huge ice dam broke loose and carved out Lake Michigan and the Illinois River valley. You can see the sand and boulder ridges on the outward sides of the flow. It's where they put all the windfarms in Illinois and Indiana.

Here you go. Nice and simple....

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What if ....

Where I live it's considered the Worlds Greatest Farm Area. Nice flat ground with deep sand and an good loamy top soil. It like that because at the end of th elast ice age a huge ice dam broke loose and carved out Lake Michigan and the Illinois River valley. You can see the sand and boulder ridges on the outward sides of the flow. It's where they put all the windfarms in Illinois and Indiana.

Here you go. Nice and simple....

you must be wacko. I never said that species of dinosaurs did or did not fly.

Three Berries