What's new

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
I'm still not so sure about nuclear and if it's impact will be less or more in time. Our country runs on nuclear power and is owned by the country.Things like disposal,the treated water returned to the water table,possible meltdowns , and leaks may be worse than the current fuel we use. We had a pushback by the Natives when the gov wanted to transport spent rods through their land via the Great Lakes and possible contamination. I can understand the concern. On the other hand,nuclear power can satisfy the grid and future upgrades.
you are right, its not without its risks
but i think the benefits outweigh the negative, esp when you look at the environmental impact
yes, the disposal of used radioactive material is a problem
and there is always a treat of failure at the facilities level, but that is so rare now days
here in san diego they had san onofre power station
the discharge pipes went i think 2m/~4k offshore
the also had a coal powered plant near the coat in carlsbad, its pipes dident go as far maybe 1m/2k
we called it the warm water jetty and it was a hot spot for surfing and people catching fish

to me the natives sound like the nimbys* we have here in california
how do the natives generate their electricity? or fuel their cars
and ive actually been on some rez and they are shit holes for the most part

we are all part of the problem or part of the solution

*not im my back yard

moose eater

m sure you could correlate periods of economic growth with increased environmental impact
environmentalism is a luxury and to support todays population takes a lot of resources

alaska is a different place man!
i hear a lot of it is only accessible by plane or boat!
we have a ferry here in san deigo that takes you to coronado! its a fun ride across the bay
a toyota with 240k/m on it is just broken in,my nissan pathfinder went for almost 500k (and a lot of those were rough off road miles) before she finally had to be put down
for hauling stuff you definitely want a larger vehicle, my sister just got her new gmc bft for her new horse trailer

yes, yes i would
Most of our remote villages and towns are not connected by road. Though some of them, such as Nome, might have a limited road that goes out to old mining sites or past small ghost towns/settlements and ends.

There's about 730,000 people in the State's area I described earlier as 2-1/2 times the size of Texas, though about 350,000 of them live in Anchorage, which, in State politics, gives a whole lot of what I refer to as 'Urbanians', which means they have a bunch of control via voting and representation over a whole lot of rural and remote areas, when many/most of them have no real clue about what living in those places means.

The legislature made it more complicated to effectively do citizen-sponsored voter initiatives years ago, requiring more remote village signatures overall (which is spendy as a motherfucker, considering that means a contact person with books for signatures in each of those minimum-number locations), but that move wasn't really an altruistic humanitarian effort to involve the rural villages (though that's how the disingenuous pricks sold it) as much as it was an effort to thwart citizen-sponsored initiatives the redneck legislators didn't like... like legalization, as one -big- example.

The irony is that whether you're talking about initiatives that involve voting (like Ranked Choice Voting, which we now have, and works out -great- in my opinion), or legalization, or environmental laws, the same asshats that CLAIMED, in part, to be doing the change in the initiative process to get the outside organizations out of State politics, more or less guaranteed that most of the initiatives would be done by .... Outside organizations. They're the only players with sufficient financial and organizational horsepower to do such things now. which not only speaks to the supporters of those changes as being either dishonest, or really ignorant about the end results of their meddling in long standing Constitutional procedures here... or both..

Never mind that the disingenuous pricks I referred to earlier have long had their lips attached to the tit of BIG outside corporate money.... while crying about its influence. The whole 'good for the goose, good for the gander' conundrum, They talk about equality and local control, but don't practice that themselves.

The population at Chitina for dip netting, which I showed you file photos of the other day in another thread, is outrageous to the extent that I sometimes/often now question attending there. I was going there when I might spend most of a weekend down the canyon beyond the old railroad tunnel and see few to no people there.

We still have people wanting a moose and or a couple caribou each year and wanting a maximum salmon, ling cod and halibut harvest, when our State population has more than doubled from when I first arrived here in the 70s (we were about 350,000 people back then). And since then, subsistence is no longer necessarily defined based on income levels or village/remote location of residence. Now anyone can file for subsistence hunts and fishing permits due to a court case many years ago... based on the State Constitution, with some federal flavoring added to some federal subsistence hunts and fishing. Mathematicians can see the problem with that, but we have some stout equal access, and equal rights laws on the books and in the State Constitution, sometimes for better, and sometimes not.

In the year I arrived, if you made less than $6,000/year or lived in a rural community/village, your State of Alaska hunting, fishing, and trapping license was .25 cents/year. I had a few of those over time. The program made sense... until the court suit about discrimination in re. to access in a State where, by law (Article 8, Sections 1 & 2), the State Constitution refer to the State's resources being commonly owned by ALL the residents of the State equally; to include fish, wildlife, oil, other minerals, etc., etc.. Thus, we typically don't own subsurface rights unless the property was deeded before 1974 or 1975.

After the ruling in reference, YEARS ago, I was down near Lake Louise to do some lake trout fishing and witnessed a 'subsistence hunter' in a $100,000 motor home with a satellite television and radio antenna on top, pulling a heavy trailer with a $70,000 track rig behind him to access the bush easier. Subsistence my ass!

Anyway, it's a huge aera, with more road subsidy per capita than most due to area versus population, and a lot of contradictions to our once-way-of-life here that only gets worse as, when I last paid attention over 25 years ago or so, the average 'Alaskan' was here 5 years or less before moving on. So, the defining of "what are 'Alaskan values'?" had a significant turn-over or morphing frequency, if only looking at the coming and going of people who barely stayed long enough to remember their addresses and telephone numbers. Let along other factors, such as oil corporation corruption, weak-kneed and under-educated legislators, etc.

Last edited:

moose eater

you are right, its not without its risks
but i think the benefits outweigh the negative, esp when you look at the environmental impact
yes, the disposal of used radioactive material is a problem
and there is always a treat of failure at the facilities level, but that is so rare now days
here in san diego they had san onofre power station
the discharge pipes went i think 2m/~4k offshore
the also had a coal powered plant near the coat in carlsbad, its pipes dident go as far maybe 1m/2k
we called it the warm water jetty and it was a hot spot for surfing and people catching fish

to me the natives sound like the nimbys* we have here in california
how do the natives generate their electricity? or fuel their cars
and ive actually been on some rez and they are shit holes for the most part

we are all part of the problem or part of the solution

*not im my back yard
We had a small nuclear reactor years ago at Ft. Greely, where I once worked as a civilian contractor in their MH program for the military.

The reactor malfunctioned and was sealed in concrete for decades until this last year when they began a project to remove any traces of it.

Meanwhile, at Eielson Airforce Base, 21 miles east of Fairbanks, there's been discussion of a smaller nuclear reactor, and they seem to have come a long way in safety and reliability.

Though years ago, I read about the smaller hydrogen generators that were being used to provide power to apartment complexes in Tokyo, etc., and which I mentioned in this thread years ago.

I have mixed feelings about damming the Susitna River for hydro-electric, but where we fish at the remote Aishihik Lake in the Yukon Territory, many people don't realize that a shitload of the Yukon Territory's power (to include the City of Whitehorse) comes from that dam, below Canyon Lake, which is fed by Aishihik Lake's levelling dam.

Last edited:

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
@moose eater
ive never heard of this rank choice voting so i had to look it up
rankchoicevoting!.jpg

i like it
im suprised bear is so far behind in the poles with all the public appearances he been making
/aka, visit to the trash heap
and im not writing off salmon just yet

Last edited:

moose eater

@moose eater
ive never heard of this rank choice voting so i had to look it up
View attachment 19014122
im suprised bear is so far behind in the poles with all the public appearances he been making
/aka, visit to the trash heap
and im not writing off salmon just yet
Bear has a better PR and spin machine going, with corporate backing. :)

In my opinion, RCV removed the fear-addled grip that the 2 parties have on primaries and general elections, where people often say, "Well, I'd like to vote for X, but I'd hate to see Y get in."

And this way, no candidate can win an office without at least 50% + 1 of the votes. No more finagled minority representation for the select few.

The Republican Party of Alaska hated it and sued to remove it. But it was done via voter initiative, and thus far we've hung onto it. They enjoyed their subtle or not-so-subtle rigging of the elections system, and for now we've put a kibosh on that. :)

Last edited:

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
We had a small nuclear eracotr yeasr ago at Ft. Greely, where I once worked as a civilian conrtactor in their MH program fo rthe military.

The reactor malfunctioned and was sealed in concrete for decades until this last year when they began a project to remove any traces of it.

Meanwhile, at Eielson Airforce base, 21 miles east of Fairbanks, there's been discussion of a smaller nuclear reactor, and they seem to have come a long way in safety and reliability.

Though years ago, I read about the smaller hydrogen generators that were being used to provide power to apartment complexes in Tokyo, etc., and which I mentioned in this thread years ago.

I have mixed feelings about damming the Susitna River for hydro-electric, but where we fish at the remote Aishihik Lake in the Yukon Territory, many people don't realize that a shitload of the Yukon Territory's power (to include the City of Whitehorse) comes from that dam, below Canyon Lake, which is fed by Aishihik Lake's levelling dam.
damn dams! hydro electric is great way to produce energy if you have it but like you said often you have to create this artificial water feature to create the volume of water to drive the turbines
i tihink in some places they will build in spillways that are like steps on the sides of the dam for the fish to migrate, but i dont know about this particular project

moose eater

damn dams! hydro electric is great way to produce energy if you have it but like you said often you have to create this artificial water feature to create the volume of water to drive the turbines
i tihink in some places they will build in spillways that are like steps on the sides of the dam for the fish to migrate, but i dont know about this particular project
Whitehorse's dam (on the Yukon River right in town) has a fish ladder that works, if only Alaska would ever let the (agreed-upon-by-treaty) percentage of salmon survive to cross the Border, we'd stop the acidification of and temperature changes in the oceans, and outlaw the corporate trawlers for being the wanton waste bastards they really are..

You saw the sonar numbers for the Copper River below Chitina the other day. As of either May 30th or 31st the sonar at Miles Lake on the Copper River had counted about 1/5 of the anticipated 'normal' numbers for the (predominantly) sockeye and king salmon there. Abysmal doesn't describe it. Hopefully it's just a later run, based on the cooler weather we had during this spring. But I'm skeptical.

And this was the first year in several I was going to attend there to get fish to smoke and put sealed into the freezer, providing I get another epidural for my spine and hip. And it would be the first year in a decade and a half that I went there with my daughter, who used to dip-net with me there 15 and 16 years ago. She's 30 now..

None of our kids were permitted to go there with me when they were tiny due to that River's hazards, which I also related the other day.

Last edited:

Porky82

Not sure what any of that crap has got to do with "man made" Global Boiling

[/QUOTE]

This sentence sums up your knowledge of the subject perfectly!! 🤣

arsekick

[/QUOTE]

Why, the head of U.N. said the era of "global boiling" has arrived

"The U.N. chief issued a stark warning on climate change this week: “The era of global warming has ended; the era of global boiling has arrived,” António Guterres declared in a news briefing, as scientists confirmed that July is set to become Earth's hottest month on record. “Climate change is here.29 July 2023"

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Which and whose post are you referring to?

But applies to all the fools in this thread who think they have more knowledge of the subject than climate scientists!
[/QUOTE]
This is the crux for me. We have some on here with high school science arguing that climate scientists don't know what they're on about.

It's popular to hate on experts at present. Not sure why? If you want to find something out, ask those who study it.

arsekick

Which and whose post are you referring to?
"It was for Arsekick.
But applies to all the fools in this thread who think they have more knowledge of the subject than climate scientists!"

What about the 1000's of other scientists that don't agree with your climate scientists view, are they fools to or just bought off by big OIL.

There is no greater fool than one who blindly believes what they are told by so-called "experts" especially when trillions of $$$$$ are being stolen from the taxpayers involved

You lot should just admit you have been scammed, and get on with life without all the Co2 doom and gloom we're all going to die from "man made" climate change 🤡🤡

Chi13

ICMag Donor
"It was for Arsekick.
But applies to all the fools in this thread who think they have more knowledge of the subject than climate scientists!"

What about the 1000's of other scientists that don't agree with your climate scientists view, are they fools to or just bought off by big OIL.

There is no greater fool than one who blindly believes what they are told by so-called "experts" especially when trillions of $$$$$ are being stolen from the taxpayers involved

You lot should just admit you have been scammed, and get on with life without all the Co2 doom and gloom we're all going to die from "man made" climate change 🤡🤡
The vast majority of those working in the field think that man made climate change is occurring.

Funny you talk of being scammed, even mention big oil buying off scientists, yet you don't apply the same rigor to denialists? Big oil has vested interest in climate denial. I fail to see how climate scientists are the scammers?

moose eater

Whitehorse's dam (on the Yukon River right in town) has a fish ladder that works, if only Alaska would ever let the (agreed-upon-by-treaty) percentage of salmon survive to cross the Border, we'd stop the acidification of and temperature changes in the oceans, and outlaw the corporate trawlers for being the wanton waste bastards they really are..

You saw the sonar numbers for the Copper River below Chitina the other day. As of either May 30th or 31st the sonar at Miles Lake on the Copper River had counted about 1/5 of the anticipated 'normal' numbers for the (predominantly) sockeye and king salmon there. Abysmal doesn't describe it. Hopefully it's just a later run, based on the cooler weather we had during this spring. But I'm skeptical.

And this was the first year in several I was going to attend there to get fish to smoke and put sealed into the freezer, providing I get another epidural for my spine and hip. And it would be the first year in a decade and a half that I went there with my daughter, who used to dip-net with me there 15 and 16 years ago. She's 30 now..

None of our kids were permitted to go there with me when they were tiny due to that River's hazards, which I also related the other day.
The cumulative run is now at a bit over 1/3 of the expected or typical cumulative run or cumulative management objective for the Miles Lake sonar on the Copper River. So, it's now better than the 1/5 it was at less than a week ago, but still a bit disconcerting for the moment.

If the up-tick continues and we get on-track, then maybe it'll be a decent run after all.

Last edited:

moose eater

The vast majority of those working in the field think that man made climate change is occurring.

Funny you talk of being scammed, even mention big oil buying off scientists, yet you don't apply the same rigor to denialists? Big oil has vested interest in climate denial. I fail to see how climate scientists are the scammers?
Exxon and others certainly went out of their way to bury in-house memos and evidence a long time ago. A known fact for a long while now.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club

[/QUOTE]

so how can i own carbon credits and more importantly how can i sell them?!
/too many links so ill just go wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_offsets_and_credits
"It was for Arsekick.

its just the flavor of the month but it show hes green!