What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Gorilla Glue #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

DemonTrich

Veteran
I have 2x25 site aero cloners from amazon. both work flawlessly. I have a 99.99999% success rate for the past 3 years. only a new og ghost I got gave my troubles and I lost 1 out of 3. I use a small air stone for each cloner, cloning gel on stem, 6.0 ph h2o, and change the water every 6 days. my cloner cleaning regimen is a little over-kill, but it works.
2caps of bleach to 2.5gal warm/hot water. let run for 18-24hrs
dump/rinse, 1/2 cup h2o2 plus warm/hot water for 18-24 hrs
dump rinse, plain warm/hot water for 18-24hrs
dump rinse, plain warm water for 18-24 hrs
let dry and store.

im super anal about cleanliness for anything garden related.

Kalyx

K.I.S.S. works for me, I use cheap $5 rooting powder from home depot, RR and a cheap plastic dome. The only times I have had issues getting cuts to root has been due to cold temperatures. Even with the cold just about all of my cuts root they just take longer to do so.

-Kalyx

Lyfespan

K.I.S.S. works for me, I use cheap $5 rooting powder from home depot, RR and a cheap plastic dome. The only times I have had issues getting cuts to root has been due to cold temperatures. Even with the cold just about all of my cuts root they just take longer to do so.

-Kalyx

This, I rip whatever I want off the plant, toss it in some root compound, and now I just throw em in an empty cup to just keep them up right, roots show in a few days, then into soil, period.

I too got caught up in all that gimmicky crap.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
I always have issues with coco. I always get plants that are deficient when I use it. At this point im staying with what works for me. I tired of fixing shit that's not broke.. I can also say that an extra air stone will help. With an areo or water cloner(domes are not used with these) I used KLN witch worked great when the cloners where working. Now I don't need to worry about any of that shit. Just cut my clone, Dip in Clonex, Insert into a RR place in the dome I'm done until I get roots..

you use pure blend pro don't you? I absolutely LOVE the quality of the finished product w/ pbp in coco, although I haven't been able to replicate the yield that I achieve with canna which imho only has an almost unnoticeable drop in quality(mainly in flavor, pbp ftw)
my old pbp coco recipe:

5ml/gal pbp Veg formula
15ml/gal pbp bloom formula

small boy filtered tap, don't really "need" anything else although I tend to use my normal additive program along with the pbp base recipe with a couple alterations to mix in a bit more botanicare products over say a h&g product(hydroplex, and I always lke liquid karma for some reason)

I used a DIY aero cloner exclusively for the last 5ish years, always got 100% success or close to it(unless we're talking some og's...like legend) I started having some problems with it towards the end of summer and lost two full cloners worth of cuts which set me back pretty bad. I always had so-so results using rapid rooters/ coco cups/ rockwool etc. and I really HATE how hardening off clones is a requirement with rw(at least in my dry desert environment) and that alone is my biggest issue w/ RW, nothing worse than having a nicely rooted cut die overnight because it was too weak to handle the transition of environment. I have since started using rapid rooters and have had just about 100% success even with harder to root og's. I soak the RR's in water ph'd to 5.5 and let them soak for about an hour or more, mix initial water for tray with some kind of cloning nute solution(I forget the name) and a sprinkle of water soluble plant success bene's. cuts get soaked in a cup of water for at least 10 min prior to being re-cut @ 45* with a razor blade inside a large bowl of water, from there it's a 15 second dip into a 20:1 dip'n grow solution. the dragon had tons of roots and was ready for transplant at 6 days, my ssh takes no more than 10, and og's still take their typical 2-3weeks. glue's also root in 7-10 days. I keep about 1/4" of water in the bottom tray at all times, and don't use a humidity dome, so no hardening off necessary.

not entirely confident that this method will work out as well once summer comes back around, but I guess I'll find out.

I've always viewed cloning as my major weakness when it comes to gardening and thoroughly relied on my aero to keep me going through the years..

I mistreat my aero though, I don't change the water unless the cuts are out of it(3 weeks give or take) I don't monitor the temps although I run a much higher water level during summer to dissipate a bit more of the heat generated by the pump....shoot it only just got it's first cap of bleach to clean it up after I started having issues with over summer( I know, shame on me)

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bc11.jpg

bc3.jpg

It gets cleaned up before use, obviously - but - this little homemade bubble cloner is my go to when other methods of cloning fail to work. I usually put 2 cuts per site. Under the white caps are foam inserts and I do use a humidity dome with it...and I did cut the bottom of the baskets off so roots can fall through and don't get tangled up. And since it is gray - I use 6 mil black plastic that is cut out to fit over the lid and another piece that wraps around the tub itself to keep light out.

I've used that exact little cloner on and off for nearly a decade.

dank.Frank

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
I literally thought I was the only one that encloses their cloner in black plastic(55gallon contractor bags in my instance) to keep the light out. lol great minds frank...great minds ;)

I've always had leaking issues with cloners made with those types of totes, I've since changed my cloner over to the 18gal totes with the rope handles, cut the top 8-10" off of one of them for a lid that sits inside of the reservoir tote, lid tote has 36 cut outs for EZ clone plugs...haven't seen a leak since.

I've thought about adding a 2ft or so section(kinda like a chimney) of 2-3"pvc into the lid with a pc fan blowing air into the cloner to try and maintain cooler aeration zone/water temps in the summer...it would kind of be like the ez clone fans that cycle the air inside of the cloner...may end up putting this idea into practice come summer time.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I do use PBP but not in the cloner. I just use KLN adjusted the PH.. Reading the many different method's can be overwhelming for the newbies im sure. There's to many different ways. There should be a SOP that works well. Many add a bit to change it to there liking.

I have tried every system there is. even made my own Areo and Fogger systems.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
only thing I ever put in my aero was roots excelerator and silica blast, never used a low EC nute solution though...seemed the yellowing of the lower leaves was a sign that roots were there or about to be. the stuff I've been using for my initial RR tray fill up is called "life cloning solution" my cuts have been coming out of the RR trays very vigorous although I am still experiencing the correlation of yellowing lower leaves to root being present...both methods have worked well for me for the most part...rockwool is a different story for me personally lol

also Dip'n'Grow has been a game changer for me, that stuff rocks. hands down better than any of the clone gels that I've used...and a little bit goes a very long way

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
only thing I ever put in my aero was roots excelerator and silica blast, never used a low EC nute solution though...seemed the yellowing of the lower leaves was a sign that roots were there or about to be. the stuff I've been using for my initial RR tray fill up is called "life cloning solution" my cuts have been coming out of the RR trays very vigorous although I am still experiencing the correlation of yellowing lower leaves to root being present...both methods have worked well for me for the most part...rockwool is a different story for me personally lol

also Dip'n'Grow has been a game changer for me, that stuff rocks. hands down better than any of the clone gels that I've used...and a little bit goes a very long way

What;s the Jelly Dognut?

SirSmokalot

My Zips Be So Fluffy The Whole Town Love Me
Veteran
They sell em at dunkin donuts!!!

Deez I never have to harden off RW clones. I don't use a dome. Set a tray on my veg room floor and keep moist n they root I plant done

Try without a dome. If u soak them a day before your stick in cubes or fill the tray with enough water for them to sit in it for the day they stay hydrated and don't need a dome. Once they go a day or two and still standing u know your solid if they stay moist.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Jelly = Forum x Louis 13

I typically just use water in the bubble cloner...and once I see nubs on the stems about 6-8 days in, I just put 1/4tsp per gallon of Thrive Alive B1...that's it.

dank.Frank

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's not difficult to harden off. When they have roots they go into a 16oz cup watered with RO and spray misted until dripping wet. Still no food. I do not put them under direct light. The next day there ready for the t5. Once they get rooted in the 16oz cup that's when I start feeding them. So far it works great... I did not need to use any gel when I used my Areo it uses a solution gels wont work properly they just get washed off.

Cephalopod

If it does have nematodes it will pass on to the seeds. Bad nematodes are the worst

I was going to call bullshit, but turned into an interesting topic. I did a quick search and sure enough, they can pass on in seed.

"The detection of nematodes is the first step to control. Relatively few nematodes can be passed on in seed but, of those that are, some are easily detectable by their effects such as the blackened seed galls caused in wheat and distorted and discoloured seeds of beans. The peanut/groundnut seed nematode found in Nigeria makes the seed shrivelled and dark brown, and is seed transmitted if the seeds are left in their pods or are not thoroughly dried. A rice nematode, Ditylenchus angustus, is found in freshly-harvested seeds, and can also be killed by sun-drying but, like a number of foliar nematodes, can still be carried in plant debris mixed with seed."

http://collections.infocollections.org/ukedu/en/d/Jcta24e/2.2.html

Learn something new everyday:tiphat:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just add Chitosan,Humic or Fluvic acid to your feed. There are other things you can add as well.. These are suppose to keep the plants immune system fight off Parasites and pathogens.

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
humic acids (fulvic acid is also a type of humic acid) does not do the same thing to the plants that chitosan does. Just FWIW.

Humic acids are generally micro particles of carbon ...But this is the GG4 thread..so I won't talk too much about science and growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.