What's new

Diary Crunky's corner!

crunkyeah

Veteran
Well now it's update time! I just don't know where to begin haha...

First off, I'm going to be quite busy for the next 10 days so my next update will probably be in 2 weeks rather than weekly like I've been trying to do.

That said, so much has changed and yet it hasn't. Let's start off with the flowering girls, 5x DB and 1x DJ (Week #6). Well the DJ has kind of taken over. It's massive compared to the D.Bastards. I wasn't going to hold onto this plant, but I've grown quite fond of it. The growth on the flowers is pretty insane honestly. In the 1 gal it was in, I had to water her right before lights out and again right when lights come on. I transplanted her into a 3 gallon airpot. I'm hoping this gives her enough root space to finish in the 3 gallon. The DJ is covering some of the other ladies from getting good light but honestly my light on max is almost too bright. The only plant that seems to be able to take it is this DJ beauty. I'm hoping the others won't be compromised because there's really not much I can do at this point. Additionally, one of my Bastard girls fell over (not literally) because the buds became too heavy for the limbs to handle. It's #3 the tall girl. I bought a tomato cage for her which is going to have to suffice. I think I can make it work but I'll have to wait until lights on before I can administer the solution. 💡

First, a Double Jam pic while I was transplanting her. I tried to be gentle with her being about 6 ft tall. I believe all the limbs are intact without one snapping or anything so I hope no male flowers start developing.
IMG_4664.JPG

Back in with the other girls:
IMG_4672.JPG

I should have taken a picture of the Bastards without the DJ in there but sorry guys, missed my mind.
Here's a shot of 4 of them at least:
IMG_4665.JPG

#9 (maybe my favorite)
IMG_4667.JPG

#3 (bent over)
IMG_4666.JPG

Next we have the Lagkitan. I culled all of the clones since I don't need them for another couple of months. Some specimens were about 2.5 ft tall and had massive fan leaves. Even being on an almost 4 week schedule of 12/12, they did not want to show me sex at all... even though theoretically they're the same age as the parents who are showing sex. I think there may be some correlation between plant/root size and the plant being 'ready' to flower, at least with this variety. For example I'm not going to be able to do a SoG with this strain. Each plant is going to want to develop to the best of it's ability. This is going to make flowering quite interesting if there aren't many herm individuals to remove. Ideally I would like to have 2-3 different males and 7-9 stable females, with 1-2 of them being Scorpion or purple wheat phenos, 2-3 being purple resinous good things, and a couple mixed and maybe 1 pure green one. A guy can dream. With 19 specimens to select from I wonder if it will be possible.

The parent plants have shown sex in a few different specimens. Oddly they seem to be mostly females at this point. Really getting crazy though... in the best way.
IMG_4675.JPG

For the seedlings, very interesting things going on!
The V9 Tiger have all taken off but 1. Not sure why it shriveled up and died. I have 8 of those, with 4 appearing to have early variegations.
IMG_4677.JPG

Next we have the Giant Pur Pur HK 2.0. Sadly it looks like the middle specimen is going to be a duckfoot variety instead of Lanceolate (single leaf). A few specimens look like they'll be lanceolate but I may germinate my remaining 12 seeds looking for a serrated massive growing lanceolate Pur Pur. 2 of the individuals some kind of different vein pattern and leaf texture. It's like they're crinkled or something. Really fond of those. Top left 2 if you're wondering.
IMG_4678.JPG

Last we have 2 seedlings from a beautiful female plant that a good friend is working on. I'm going to call this plant SubterFreak as it's a combination of Subterfuge #1 and Freakshow. These seedlings are F3 generation with parents selected for ABC-type expressions. It appears my friend has done a fine job of mixing the mutants because to my eyes, they don't look like Bastards and they don't look like Freakshow. They look like something new and exciting :D
IMG_4681.jpeg

Last we have the remaining parents in veg with the seedlings chilling in with them. We have 1 BerryFreak mom which is really hard to see, 1 DB female (can't see), 1 DB male (the tall guy in the back), 5 Quack Bastards, 1 Duckweb female, 1 Imperium X, and 1 Double Jam clone. I have decided no matter what sex Quack Bastard #5 is, that's the one I'm keeping. It reeks like marijuana. For being a Bastard it really smells outstanding. I've considered letting the Quack Bastards sit outside since they look like a weed, as I will need a lot more room for the 19 new additions! That's what will probably happen anyways.
IMG_4676.JPG

Oh how interesting things will become in about 3-4 weeks. Bastards will be coming down, DJ will get turned to 10/14 and I will prepare clones for the flowering of Lagkitan!

crunkyeah

Veteran
Update time:
Day 61 today for the flowering girls. I have about 2 weeks left on the Bastards. They’re really smelling like piney blueberries and it’s wonderful. The Double Jam has picked up on flower growth so I’m hoping things just get better as we progress into the final half of flowering for it. I expect she’ll be done around the end of August.
IMG_4788.JPG

IMG_4787.jpeg

Some highlights of DJ:
IMG_4783.JPG IMG_4784.JPG IMG_4785.JPG

The jungle of Lagkitan! These will go into the flowering room after DJ comes down. Last week of August or no later than the first day of September. Really hoping for the scorpion phenos!
IMG_4777.JPG

Here we have my keepers: Drunken Bastard male and female, Duckweb female, BerryFreak female, Imperium X female, Double Jam female, and I suspect 2 female Quack Bastards.
IMG_4775.JPG

Here are the little guys (who are starting to smell):
IMG_4774.jpeg
The more crinkled/variegated ones are V9 Tigers and others are Giant Pur Pur. As we can see, I did not get that many lanceolate dominate phenos, most are Ducksfoot. I’ll probably run them out to see if I like them and want to keep them as keepers. In the upper right hand corner we have 2 (Subt 1 x Freakshow F3) plants going and they’re quite a bit slower than the GPP but I’m still enjoying them! They almost look like multileaf plants which is quite bizarre considering it’s ABC and Freakshow mixed. Who knows??

I’m on the fence about the next couple of moves I do. I’m tempted to throw everything outside. Once everything outdoors starts flowering I can take clones and keep those clones as mother plants throughout the winter. I don’t really need to do this but it would make my daily watering chore much much less of a burden. As is I’m at around 2 hours daily for plant maintenance & watering. If I could cut down to a half hour in the morning and a half hour at night with mostly everything being outside… that would be preferred. Not to mention less money on A/C (less BTUs from lights) less money on electric… you know. Lots of benefits.

I’m also tempted to keep things the way they are and do some seed runs in September. One would be the Lagkitan repro I’m doing. The other would be my Drunken Bastard #1 male crossed to about 6 different females, creating tons of F1 seeds to go through. On the list so far for the female side are:
BerryFreak
Duckweb
Giant Pur Pur
V9 Tiger
Imperium X
Double Jam
Drunken Bastard #11 ***

There are a few obstacles I will have to dodge if I go this route, mostly with timing. The DJ will need to start long before the others if I want her to be pollen ready by the time the DB#1 drops pollen. I believe I will be able to do everything the right way but it doesn’t increase the odds that I screw something up.

*** The DB#11 cross would be DB F3 x DB F3 so it’s actually an F4. Both plants are from taller phenos which don’t grow as slow as ABC is known for. These 2 phenos grow much faster. If there’s some interest for these F4 seeds I may throw her in there too but if there’s no interest I’m not going to bother making them since I have the keepers already. The community will have to let me know if they want any of these F4 DB seeds.

I have also settled on a couple mutant crosses that I’ll be working over the next couple of years. The first one is BerryFreak x Invictus. With this cross I’m looking to focus on the minty terpenes from the Invictus side, while hopefully improving vigor, yield, and potency into the BerryFreak line. I’m going to call it MintFreak… real original I know. I will do probably a 100 plant search in the F1 generation for the ideal parents. I plan on finding the absolute best specimens to fit my criteria, so it may take several flower cycles before I decide on the the right parents. Once the F2s are made I plan on doing a very extensive search (100+ mutants) which may take 5,000 seeds to go through (since many phenos will be normal leaf cannabis). I will be searching for the absolutely best of the best Minty freakshows. It will need to check all the boxes.

The second is Jamaican Bastard. I plan on combining the ABC line with landrace Jamaican genetics. I want the vigor and flowering stretch from the Jamaican lines with the leaf structure from ABC. I figure ABC should tame the very large Jamaican and the Jamaican should vastly increase the size of the ABC plant itself. I will be selecting for blue mountain flowers (very large, foxtailing) while hopefully throwing in some sweet blueberry goodness from the DB#1. I don’t want to focus on the blueberry terpenes so I will try to select for Jamaican flowers and terpenes. Basically the only thing I want here is the ABC to tame down the Jamaican lines. I figure this plant will take ages to grow and ages to flower, but for those dedicated they could have a very high yielding Bastard with incredible sativa flowers. It sounds perfect in my mind, so I’m going for it! This blend is going to take ages to accomplish though! Maybe 5 years or more. Similarly I will be doing a very extensive F2 search to find a female that’s ABC in growth but flowers exactly like a Jamaican.

One thing I have not yet considered is a DB#1 x Lagkitan scorpion pheno cross if I do happen to find one. I’m sure some people would be quite interested in those too.

Would LOVE to get some community feedback on all my ideas and if there’s any interest in the seeds.

teide

Veteran
My feedback is you are on a great track!
I love your ideas for crosses.
Undoubtedly, my favorite is lagkitan scorpio with quack bastard leaves, this is my dream plant.

teide

Veteran
I am sure seeds will be very much in demand. I think f4 faster flowering db sounds attractive.
However, seeds from a purple scorpion with wheat buds and abc leaves should not be sold cheap, though..-if they should be sold at all. It would be a shame if finally a perfect stealth strain emerges, only to lose its stealth factor due to widespread cultivation.

crunkyeah

Veteran
Thanks for the feedback everyone! It's very appreciated.
@Mitsuharu - BerryFreak isn't a name I created. Maxx (Shapeshifter's son) is credited for working BerryFreak, while Shapeshifter worked Freakshow. I love it too though that's why I bought initially! I'm so glad I did. Words can't express. Thank you for your support!
@teide - It looks like your dream cross may be in foreseeable future. It looks like I do have a Quack Bastard male. Now all I need is the scorpion Lagkitan female and the cross will be a possibility.
@SuperBadGrower - Thanks! Just wait until we (the community) start breeding them together to find crazy new leaves.:greenstars:

And here we are! This is going to be quite the update. So much has changed/updated, been moved, died, grown, etc.... there's a lot to go over! First off, I recently had to leave all my babies for about 3 days. All the indoor ones did good but outdoor... some are crispy...

Anyways here we have Double Jam F4 at day 72 along with one Drunken Bastard which seemed a little on the slower side to get going and finish. She can stay in there a few more days but I'll be chopping her when she looks more ready. The DJ lady just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I hope she doesn't start herming after not getting water for 3 days. She was good and soaked when I left but she was used to drinking about a gallon of water per day by herself. I guess if she does herm I don't have to worry about seeds or anything because she only has ~5 weeks to go. Super excited! In a couple weeks I may not be able to resist temptation and remove one of the beautiful lower buds. They're about twice the size of the largest Drunken Bastard flowers.
IMG_4868.JPG
Now you may be thinking... what happened to the others that were in there? That will come next post!

Next we have the only surviving mutants that got put outside. With the high temps we've been having they dried up and are pretty crispy right now. Dousing them with oxygenated water didn't help any so the rest of them might be kaput. Can you tell what they are? No hints!
IMG_4882.jpeg

Now we have the clone chamber. I have a couple BerryFreak(female), DB#1(male), a Duckweb(female), Imperium X (female), Invictus (female), and DB#11 (female). The DB#11 I really need to root because the parent plant got torched outside. It's a really good thing I took clones before leaving. Even if they don't root I have a very large DB#11 growing outdoors offgrid. She's almost 6ft tall and hasn't even begun to flower. She's barely showing any pistils out of the small calyxes that are forming. I'm most excited to make F4 seeds with the DB#1 male and DB#11 female because they both have a similar vigor and growth structure. The female smells more like subtle berries than strong blueberries, like most of her sisters. I'm REALLY hoping #11 is one of the purple colored specimen. I have not seen her flowers yet. Anyways, the clones.
IMG_4883.jpeg
The seedlings are Subt 1 x Freakshow F3 mutants selected for Freakshow expressions. I got 4 seedlings to sprout healthily but after being unable to care for them for 3 days... they may not make it. One for sure won't and I have little hopes for the other 3. Sadly, seedlings are just too fragile to go without care daily, in my humble opinion.

Next the veg tent(which suffered hardly any loss due to haircuts/cloning all around):
Lagkitan:
IMG_4885.JPG
Funny thing... that herm I culled about a week ago must have bust a nut because several of the females had formed seed pods and were pollinated and growing seeds! This actually gives me very high hopes that the remaining females are not going to herm. If they do, it's not going to be right away. Of course this is just a hope but I didn't see any signs of male flowers during this trim session.

Giant Pur Purs:
IMG_4886.JPG
I've been tempted to cull the Duckfoot phenos because I do not really plan on breeding or keeping them. I have the Duckweb terpenes that I would like to breed with as far as Duck genetics goes. However much I may want to cull them, I'm falling for them. The smells are becoming very interesting on the nose, with several flavors coming through and all of them delightful. I will probably flower out the females and keep the lanceolate versions for breeding. I absolutely love the single leaflet specimens. I believe 3 of the 9 are pure lanceolate, 3 are duck, and 3 are lanceolate with up to 3 tips on the lanceolate leaves. If I wasn't hindered by picture limits I would consider posting individual pictures of each plant because honestly they're incredible.

V9 Tigers:
IMG_4887.JPG
The little variegated one is definitely going to get it's own treatment. It's so far behind the others due to the extreme variegations which produce no chlorophyll. The others are all getting really interesting! As much as I like the Pur Purs I'm really liking the SWAG leaves! These are definitely going to be much smaller than the Pur Purs but I believe they're going to be beautiful plants once they really get going.

IMG_4888.jpeg
Here are two Subterfuge#1 x Freakshow F3 seeds selected for ABC expressions. Grow little babies grow! They're leagues behind the other mutants.

IMG_4889.jpeg
Last but not least we have some keepers in this photo! In the bottom left we have DB#9 who is going to be replaced with #11, sorry honey. Above her we have the butchered #1 male. I took 4 clones off him in preparation for my first official seed run. Top left is BerryFreak getting good. To her right we have the Imperium X mom who is going to be a crucial component in a few mutant crosses. On the bottom right we have my Duckweb mom who I haven't seen completely flower yet but I have seen a few things. Early on in the flowering cycle I got Duckweb to bud and throw tons of pistils like normal. They weren't pink/red indoors. I was bummed. So I took it, and a BerryFreak who was a sister basically, and threw them both outside. Well turns out at my offgrid setup one of the Duckweb males I had taken over there months ago threw a ton of pollen everywhere. I tried to salvage as much pollen as I could and I brought it back home. I attempted to pollinate DB#3 in the complete dark cycle, as well as the BerryFreak and Duckweb female that were outside. It looks like it was a success, but with some drawbacks. Since it's still veg season.. the DW and BF started revegging after being pollinated. The calyx was still forming seeds but leaves were starting to grow out again which was odd. Long story short I have 1 good Duckweb seed that I've actually created. 1 lol.... I also have about 20 BerryFreak x Duckweb F1s but they're very immature. None of them have a tan/dark color to them. They're all mostly green. I don't have high hopes but they produce a plant or two.

Lastly, here's a shot I like to include every once in a while of both the top and bottom of the veg tent. To showcase to others that it's possible to maximize your indoor space!
IMG_4890.JPG

crunkyeah

Veteran
In this second part I will go over the Drunken Bastard females and some of my plans moving forward, of course which always change and grow with my plants.
First, the best boy in the whole universe! He's my pride and joy and what gets me out of bed and helps me cope with life. Couldn't do this without him.
IMG_4866.JPG
Now the stud's out of the way, make way for the ladies!

So I'm not going to be super detailed with the specimens that didn't make the cut. Basically I kept #3, #9, and #11. Since #11 hasn't flowered yet, I'll show detailed pics of each girl, and then the runners up will all kind of be in their own group.

First #3, the most blueberry smelling of the bunch. She also grew the tallest, and may have a very good yield compared to the others, since there's a lot more budsites. I've also already smoked 3 branches off her so I know she's awesome! The blueberry taste and smell is amazing. Potency does leave a little to be desired but it's just like BerryFreak I would say. The good nugs are absolutely fantastic while the larf is basically for hash or edibles. Enough gab, here she is.
IMG_4869.JPG IMG_4870.JPG

Next #9, the biggest flower girl. She has a definitely blueberry nose to her but she stayed low and got big. Every nice nug foxtailed into nice resinous buds. Even though they'll shrink quite a bit, this one will actually have buds that stand up next to modern hybrids. All of the others will be much smaller in comparison. The strain is definitely not a high yield variety in it's current state, but it has a ton of room to grow into those shoes! This is my favorite girl from the bunch.
IMG_4871.JPG IMG_4873.JPG IMG_4874.JPG

Then we have the other three:
IMG_4875.JPG IMG_4877.JPG IMG_4878.JPG IMG_4880.JPG

So now that the pics are out of the way I wanted to discuss a bit about my plans.
I have some more seeds on the way so I'm not 100% certain what genetics I will use on the SWAG/GPP side of things. That said, I'm LOVING how vigorous the GPP are. I am tempted to breed them into the other mutants just to increase the vigor of all my mutants. They're really special plants to work with. I feel blessed. Either way, the plants I will choose to breed with I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to cross them together. I have decided though that some day down the road I will be a breeder and offer mutant varieties with terpene profiles completely different from each other mutant that I offer. For example I might have a mint Freakshow, a Quack Skunk, Sour/gassy Giant Pur Pur, a Jamaican Bastard, and so on. In addition to that I will also work to combine the mutant lines into new lines to find some interesting new plants.

In order to keep this update shorter I will say that the Lagkitan are set to begin flowering sometime in early September. Once my Double Jam finishes up I will begin working on a F1 seed run for these plants:
BerryFreak x DB#1
Duckweb x DB#1
Imperium X x DB#1
Invictus x DB#1
DB#11 x DB#1

The Invictus and Imperium X I hope won't get pollinated too heavily as I will try to mostly pollinate #11 female, BerryFreak, and Duckweb.

Last little thought I wanted to add which is kind of random. Quack Bastard is (Frisian Duck x ABC) F4. It's quite difficult to find but the web+Bastard are possible, so the joining of the species to create a new mutant happened. My thought is I could cross my DB#1 to a GPP Duck variety female, and I may get much faster and larger growing plants than the guy who made Quack Bastard did. My plants would have completely different terpenes as well, so I've really been rolling that idea around in my head a little bit. Hope you guys enjoyed this update!

teide

Veteran
Really enjoyed it indeed!
I think the DB x GPP is an awesome idea! Quack bastard is proof that web+abc is doable, as you say. I have thought about the same, I have saved pollen from a reversed Auto Duck to make an autoflowering ABC. Hoping that some phenos down the line show a similar quack leaf expression.

Redrum92

Love all the freaks. The next big hit of the next decade could come out of one of these if you have the patience to work them, never know

crunkyeah

Veteran
@teide - Wow, an auto ABC. That's a whole different realm there with ruderalis! Could be useful as a breeding tool actually if some longer flowering varieties are thrown into the mix! I'm actually on the fence about which mutant cross I should work first. Freakshow doesn't seem to blend well, while ABC and Duck have already successfully integrated with each other. I do have unique specimens for my "Quack cross" if you will.. so I believe the results will be completely different from what I have now. I hope those Autoducks have enough time from seed to develop properly! My Quack Bastards (after 6 months of veg) are just finally starting to look like real plants instead of teeny little Bastard plants.

@Redrum92 - Thanks for the support! I'm not really looking for the next big hit of the decade to be quite honest. I just want reliably good mutants. At some point I would like to offer seeds to the public at a fair price. As a breeder, the thought of someone else pulling out the next hype strain from my gear... that sounds wonderful!!!! I just need mutants that get me high; don't need no fancy ;)

laszlokovacs

Sounds like a great list, looking forward to seeing what sort of mutant lines you end up finding! Breeding almost exclusively with mutants seems to be getting more popuar in the past few years it seems like a couple breeders have popped up focusing on them. I think its a great thing- hope things are about to get real weird!

I'm actually really disappointed that your DB ladies didnt turn purple, I was waiting to see how they turned out. Really hope that your #11 ends up purple- might just be a function of temperature as the breeder claims the majority of expressions turn purple. Funny thing is they also claim most plants max out at 3ft tall- I'd love to see that 6 footer maybe shes the one! My DB outside is a big ole bush and tripled in size in the past month and a good 4 ft now keeping pace with the tomatoes- hasnt started flowering yet either. Hope she turns out nice but I think less stealthy than i imagined lol. Her sister is a lot smaller and oddly shaped but settling in nicely.
IMG_4164.JPG

Sounds like you found a good male! If you can stabilize a 5-6ft+ DB that would be dope not to mention working on the colors and terps. Gonna try to make more seeds with this lady and a DB male if it survives.

crunkyeah

Veteran
Thanks for sharing! Your DB have definitely grown quite a bit! And after looking at them I can tell 100% that my #11 is not like them at all. I did have one that seemed more like pure ABC to me... much slower even in flower. Smallest yield, barely even fell over at the end. The others on the other hand are all going to provide high quality flowers! If I had to judge, I would say the smaller one is probably the most 'pure' abc. The other actually looks like my second male.... really good. Once they take off they really get going well. I would advise removing 90% of the inner fan leaves/lower crap before she does flower. If you have any problems with mold, I could see this strain potentially having mold problems in the middle of the plant closest to the stem, near the dirt. It just gets SOOOO dense in there. I can see your bigger lady is going to need that definitely, unless you live in the desert and don't have humidity problems.

I don't typically share photos of my offgrid stuff but for you I'll show you the lady that's about 6 ft tall ;)
IMG_4793.JPG

The PBR sign in the background is about 4 ft tall on it's own. The one in the middle is DB#11, with BerryFreak clones on either side. The 3 gents in the front are Invictus males. This photo was taken 2 weeks ago and I'm 100% sure they've continued to grow quite well. Last I seen the plant it's as tall as I am.

On that note, I'm not certain the specimens I had would turn purple even with cold temps. It's possible maybe... but the thing that threw me off with my ladies is the bud structure was NOTHING like the photos that advertise Drunken Bastard. I didn't get a single specimen with flowers like that.

However, I was able to source OG ABC genetics unrelated to any current modern line. This line is from 1989. In the description it says there's a couple of different phenos. The ones that naturally turn purple on their own have more of a mild Berry smell while the regular Bastards smell like Lemon, Floral, Terpinolene. Of the 5 Bastard females I flowered out, 4 of them are pretty darn close to how they smell. It's piney when you smell it up close but when you break apart the flowers or trim leaves they smell STRONGLY of blueberries. My DB #11 does not smell like her sisters, and she does not grow like them either. Her stems even in veg are dark purple. I believe she will be one of those purple outliers that are so hard to find because it's several recessive traits lining up at once. I'm *praying* that her flower structure mimics the Drunken Bastard advertised. The interesting thing is, my plant at the offgrid site will easily be 2 or 3 times the size of the one they photo'd.

After growing out and chopping them, I can say with 100% certainty that DB#1 (male) and DB#11 (female) grow like each other. And they don't grow like the rest. Should make amazing F4s :D

Redrum92

@Redrum92 - Thanks for the support! I'm not really looking for the next big hit of the decade to be quite honest. I just want reliably good mutants. At some point I would like to offer seeds to the public at a fair price. As a breeder, the thought of someone else pulling out the next hype strain from my gear... that sounds wonderful!!!! I just need mutants that get me high; don't need no fancy ;)

I get ya. Like, Josey Wales wasn't looking to make the hit of the year either, but he did, and with a similar philosophy. Just saying you never know what hidden recessive gems just need a little breeder- coaxing to bring out something incredible. I hope that happens here. Good luck!

crunkyeah

Veteran
@Redrum92 - Well thanks for the good vibes! I'm pretty excited learning how to breed and all that comes with it. I'm enjoying hunting for these recessive gems you speak of. I hope you're right and I'm able to find something truly worthy! When I do, I will attempt to preserve them in seed form, for others to enjoy as well. If it happens, it happens. I'll be content quietly plugging away on my journey. :)

This is the bud update! I'm not going to post any photos of the live plants. This is going to be purely about the recently chopped Drunken Bastards and the plans moving forward (a ton has changed in the last week).

First off, here's the last Bastard (#10) which got processed last.
IMG_4909.JPG IMG_4910.jpeg IMG_4911.JPG IMG_4912.JPG IMG_4913.JPG IMG_4924.JPG

Here's the total harvest, minus the trim bag. I put all the loose larfy stuff in with all of the trim. Pretty much everything that went into a jar had some density to it, while all of the loose airy buds went in the trim bag. I did not take a picture of the trim bag but I would guess there's 1/2 lb (~220g give or take). I have not weighed my bounty yet but I'm guessing it's going to be around 200-250g. I may be surprised though.

IMG_4938.JPG
I can say the Drunken Bastards are a low yield strain for sure. They looked like they might be bigger but 90% of the buds are tiny. That said, some of them are super resinous, so I'm not concerned about the quality not being there. I've smoked a couple puffs off each plant now and I can say it DEFINITELY stands up to the "expensory" (dispensary) that we have here locally. The high and effects from this strain are wonderful! The THC content is good, and the trace amounts of CBD make it really mellow and just all around good smoke. The nose is predominantly sweet pine, until you break it apart. That's when the blueberry yum starts to stand out. I am kind of bummed that it doesn't create more dense flowers, but I guess that's where good breeding work is going to be needed!

The last thing I want to mention here for any onlookers is that regardless of the low yield, I absolutely enjoyed growing this strain and I do believe it's worth the resources to continue growing this strain. While I did not get harvests compared to some of the modern polyhybrid crosses that are out there, the harvest that I did get was plenty for the average person. Even with a high consumption of cannabis, I still feel like this strain was quite productive for the time it spent flowering.

Now I'd like to share my current plans and some of the challenges I've faced with my plants recently.
First off, I should do an inventory so everyone knows how scattered my plants are right now.
Outdoors location 1: I have 5x Quack Bastards and a couple of polyhybrids
Outdoors location 2: 2x BerryFreak (same plant), 1x Imperium X, 1x Blueberry Muffin, 1x Drunken Bastard #11 and 2x male Invictus
Indoors location 1 : Clone parents for Lagkitan, IX, BF, DW, DB, GPP, V9T, DJ, etc. I have like 33 parent plants right now with several others in the cloning chamber waiting to root. (will add 3 parents to the list)
Indoors location 2 : 9x Invictus ladies

The biggest change here is that I thought Invictus had begun flowering a month ago. Since I don't manage them, I did not know they were still on veg light cycle. My plan was to run the Lagkitan in the 4x4 once the Invictus are done. I planned on putting them in at the last week of August but now the Invictus are going to need 8-9 weeks from yesterday, so that plan is kaput. The new plan is that instead of me running a mutant run, I'm going to do the Lagkitan run and the mutant run can be done when the Invictus finish up (at location 2). My goal in both of these runs (mutant and Lagkitan) are for seeds. The Lagkitan are going to be a challenge. I have to figure out how I'm going to flower 18 of them in my 5x3. I'm thinking I'm going to make some custom pots so they have enough dirt to do what they need to, while having enough room in the tent. I have considered just running half of them, so I have more room. The problem is my veg tent is a bit overloaded compared to what I can actually flower. I have to think on the most efficient way to sort through the new additions I have, while maintaining the keepers I want to keep.

Right now I have waayy too many different plants going. I need to sort through the Lagkitan for my scorpion pheno. I need to pick the keepers out of the GPP/V9T, and I need to start my mutant run. Got too many projects I want to do, and not enough space to do what I want. I need to think about things carefully now.

It's likely that now that I'm done trimming I'll post another update tomorrow about the live plants.

crunkyeah

Veteran
Alrighty here we are on the live plants! I'll explain as we go what my thoughts are moving forward.

First off, the gorgeous Double Jam lady! She's on Day 80 from flower. Over the last week I hit her with 1200 ppm of 10-30-20 nutrients with a little epsom salt mixed in. It looks like there may have been a little more nitrogen than I would have liked because she put out a lot of leaves. So I think moving forward here I'm going to give her plain water for the remaining 3 weeks of her life. In a few days I will also turn back the lights to 11/13 to encourage her to finish. I expect with this boost of nutrition she's going to get REALLY good in the next 2 weeks. I've also noticed she's drinking quite a bit more. I need to water her twice daily now otherwise she's getting thirsty. Anyways here she is!
IMG_4948.jpeg IMG_4947.JPG IMG_4950.JPG IMG_4949.JPG

Next we have some parents here:
IMG_4943.JPG

Bottom left: DB#9, which may be replaced by DB#11, haven't decided yet
Middle left: DB#1 male, which unfortunately is going to have to wait before he can mate with the other mutants
Top left: BF keeper
Bottom middle: DW keeper (haven't truly decided if she's worth keeping yet as I haven't sampled her flowers)
Middle middle: DJ lady getting huge in the middle! I'm trying to encourage her to veg cycle but she's wanting to expand quite a bit! I'll have to trim her in the next couple of days.
Top middle: Imperium X keeper (will probably let her go once DB#1 hits her with pollen)... I've decided that Imperium X and the DB flavor would pair excellently with each other. And honestly I want more room to work with plants so I'm tempted to just keep her genetics in the line and call it good with that. Not 100% though because she's quite unique and of course purple buds are always fun to grow!

Then we get into the Giant Pur Pur F2s...
IMG_4944.JPG
Such a mixed bag here. I have some Duckfoot varieties that I'm leaning towards culling but honestly the way they're growing I think they're going to be fantastic plants to grow. I don't know if I can bring myself to cull them simply because they don't have the right leaf shape. There's only 2 lanceolate specimens with really good structure and vigor. All the others are either slower/smaller or Duckfoot variety. Even though on a breeding standpoint I'm only interesting in the 2 lanceolate varieties, I'm not sure I can discard the other 7. They're too nice! I'll likely remove most of the large fan leaves on them all to encourage side branching in the next couple of days.

Next we have the V9 Tigers:
IMG_4945.JPG
These are very interesting little plants! Of the 7 it looks like only 3 have variegations (so far) with only 1 being pretty extreme. The other plants all have wonderful smells quite similar to the GPPs. It seems like this variety is going to be quite a bit smaller than most of the GPP specimens. I haven't topped them yet and they're naturally bushing out more than the GPP. Similarly to the GPP, I'm really only interesting in 3 specimens, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to cull the others without seeing their beauty first. Here's the extreme variegated specimen next to a couple of SubterFreak F3 (loving those too!)
IMG_4946.jpeg

In either case here, the only male I'm interested in is a lanceolate GPP male. Since I have 2 I'm hoping for 1 male 1 female. I have 12 more seeds if I don't get what I'm lookin' for. I'm really hoping the extreme SWAG specimen turns out to be a girl. She's going to need quite a bit of time before she's ready for anything too! She's growing like a bastard and not like a SWAG mutant. It's likely that I'll flower out these specimens, removing the males (maybe not necessarily removing males from the garden just the flowering tent) and keep what I'm looking for. Out of the 16 plants I'm really only interested in 3-4 but I'm thinking each will have an opportunity to impress me.

Almost last, we have the Lagkitan:
IMG_4940.JPG
Starting to get crazy again. The plan I did have was to flower these after the Invictus finished in the 4x4 tent. After realizing that they still need another 8-9 weeks I decided that once my Double Jam lady finishes up, I get to figure out how to cram these 18 plants into my 5x3 tent. I know it's only 1 sq ft less than the 4x4 but I believe these are going to be quite large plants, similar to the Double Jam. I'm going to try and do as much trimming as humanly possible to keep them maintained equally and whatnot, so they all have proper chances to do their thing. Similarly to the other strains I'm running, I'm only looking for 1 phenotype. I've pondered back and forth about keeping several but I really only want the scorpion pheno. So this is going to be a seed repro with the intentions that I find my keeper female, with backup seeds in case in the future I would like to revisit the line when I have more space.

One thing I wanted to mention here is that I believe Lagkitan to be one of those landrace strains where true males are rare to find. Females and herms are plentiful but true males are hard to find. This is just a guess based on the trimming on these plants that I've already done. I believe I may have 1 or 2 males and the other 16 are going to be female/herm. That said, I don't think herm individuals are going to show up now. The one herm was about as herm as it gets. At the tops of the branch were long pistils and at the base, pollen sacs. That individual is sitting outside right now so if it really turns out where I need pollen I can always bring it inside (which will actually line up perfectly with our natural light cycle here). Did not want to hose myself if that one ends up being the only source for pollen.

Lastly we have the clones:
IMG_4951.jpeg
There's 1 Menthol Skunk seed in the corner which will definitely be culled if it doesn't show pinnate leaves. So far it isn't, so it's likely to disappear soon. The reason I can get rid of this one is I have like 50 seeds for it, and I'm only looking for pinnate type plants similar to the BerryFreak lady I already have. Would love to find a male Menthol Skunk to continue the BerryFreak line, as I discovered in my old research that it was the same male used to pollinate the different phenos of BerryFreak. One pheno made BerryFreak and one made Menthol Skunk. Since BerryFreak is sold out worldwide, I can use a Menthol Skunk male to get about as close to possible as a suitable brother to mate her with. I could make BerryFreak F4s which I'm sure would definitely be sought after. The BerryFreak line yields a lot more than the Freakshow line, from what I've seen and experienced growing them out.

Since I'm running the Lagkitan next instead of the F1 mutant seed run I had hoped to run, 90% of these clones will be removed. I'm really only trying to recover a couple of keepers. Since the DB#11 mom perished outside, I've been patiently waiting for her to root so I can feel safe knowing she's not going anywhere. So that's one of the plants I'm trying to save. The other 2 are Invictus clones. Out of 13 seeds, only 2 showed up male. One male smells like leather and burlap. Very earthy and yummy. The other smells minty, so I decided to take that one. Additionally, I was helping on some defoliation on the Invictus ladies inside (there's 9) and noticed one in particular which was extremely sticky compared to the others. Like I'm talking night and day difference here people. To my great delight, when I looked at my trimming shears I see pink/red resin. The only other strain I've had with such resin is my Imperium X lady and she's purple! I totally spaced it, but when I revisited the sales page for Invictus I do see they mention it changes into dark colors late in flowering so I'm hoping I found a really good couple of specimens in the bunch. If that's the case, the male will be used at some point to increase the potency of my MintFreak line, as well as possibly making Invictus F2s.

Last random thought: As a mutant guy, when you look at breeding with mutants the F2 is the important generation. What's curious to me is that there's so little information on pheno hunting REGULAR strains this way. Why don't people search F2s more when pheno hunting? Why are they always hunting F1s? Don't they know how recessive traits work?? If anyone wants to try and answer those I'd be happy to discuss that!

TANO

🍒TANITO🍒
Veteran
Congratulations crunkyeah beautiful plants, I'm doing drunken bastard too, but I don't think I will have the same results as you.

have you already smoked it? because I'd like to know how it is
ps: the dog is beautiful :tiphat:

crunkyeah

Veteran
@TANO - Thanks! I don't think you'll have the same results as me, I think yours are going to be better! Truthfully. Since mine have finished I've been able to see how the Bastards grow outside compared to indoors. The results outside are much better! I notice that you also have quite large pots for them to grow in, and I have noticed that they seem to enjoy more root zone to grow in. Awesome! Your plants look awesome! You should be proud of them. :tiphat:

As far as the smoke goes it's very mellow. 7 East did fine work introducing a higher THC specimen (with Sangria) but most of mine are around the 17% mark if I had to guess. Since I do have a decent tolerance to THC I can say it's weaker in terms of THC but it has quite a bit of CBD in it. At least my specimens are anyways. Or maybe it's my interpretation? The CBD makes it feel like it hits really hard at first, but after about 15-45 minutes you realize there isn't much length/depth to the high? As someone who needs quite a bit of THC to 'get there' I need a whole bowl of this to get lit, which it does really well. After a short while, I prefer to follow it with a stronger strain. In my mind, the DB is a feel-good strain for wake-n-bake while I will go with a harder hitter later in the day.

Now... flavors. They nailed it spot on with the flavors. It's initially piney when you smell it, with some really good sweetness to it. When you break apart the buds you really smell the blueberries. That blueberry smell is basically how they taste. If your plants have any kind of blueberry smell when you do a stem rub, that's how they're likely to end up tasting. It's a wonderful precursor. You may find that initially some of them smell a little more piney than blueberry, but they'll all finish to be roughly the same. I had a couple females which seemed a lot more piney when I was watering them and whatnot. Turns out they have the same wonderful blueberry secret hidden in each bud.

I hope this helps! Oh and feel free to post pictures of your mutants here too if you want! I don't mind!

crunkyeah

Veteran
Update time - Lots of changes as summer draws on. Kicked a bunch of mutants outside. When all the parts arrive, I'm going to build a custom-made structure to protect my babies from wandering eyes. Going to be 10 feet wide by 10 feet long, 8 ft tall. Plenty of room for everything. I threw DB#1 in there, hoping to make a bunch of F1s of DB crosses I want. Not sure how big he will be by the time he flowers but I'm suspecting he's not going to be very big. Hopefully his pollen is potent and can seed plenty of the girls.

Let's start with the flowering lady. She's on week 12 now and going nuts on building buds. The offshoots from the main bud have grown their own sidebuds and the sidebuds are growing buds. It's crazy! I ordered some 1-34-32 bloom food to feed her. I believe the nutes I'm using right now have too much nitrogen for her. She's wanting to grow like it's week 3. She got REALLY leafy too. Maybe that's just her doing the second phase of floral development? I'm not sure. Either way she's stunning! I've now made plans to give her 131 days of flowering. I planned on pulling her at the 15 week mark but it looks like she's going to go closer to 18.
See for yourself.
IMG_4974.JPG

In the veg tent (top chamber) we have Lagkitan in need of a haircut. I may transplant them into larger containers too but I've been worried about vertical height because they slowly get taller after every haircut.
IMG_4991.JPG

In the bottom chamber we have some clones (DB1, 9, 11, BF, DW, IX, I1, DJ). I have 3 more clones I wish to throw in there: I2, I3 and DB11. The DB11 clone I planted had only very minor root development. I planted it because I have 3 other clones starting to root. They all look like they're dying though instead of thriving. I really need want to hang onto this particular female so I'm hoping between the 1 I planted and the 3 remaining clones that I've got her without worries. Right now she needs more time for me to feel secure about it. There's also a couple V9 Tigers in there still. V9T1 is highly variegated so the growth has been really slow. Fortunately it looks like new leaves contain a larger percentage of green leaf rather than yellow leaf! Hopefully it picks up soon. It's growing at the speed of ABC. Then we have V9T7.. which seems to be a runt. So slow compared to it's siblings. Pretty weak looking. Not sure if I want to save it but I'm giving it a chance! The newbie on the far right is a Menthol Skunk seed. I sprouted 1 just to see if it would show up pinnate. It appears like it will be the deeply serrated variation but I'm still hoping it will go pinnate on the next set of new leaves.
IMG_4998.JPG IMG_4999.JPG

Now we have the outside stuff!

BerryFreak female:
IMG_4985.JPG

Duckweb female:
IMG_4988.JPG

Drunken Bastard #1 (male) and #9 (female):
IMG_4986.JPG

Unknown sex V9 Tigers:
IMG_4990.JPG

Unknown sex Giant Pur Pur HK 2.0 F2:
IMG_4981.jpeg

Unknown sex Quack Bastard F4:
IMG_4984.JPG

crunkyeah

Veteran
This week brings a lot of craziness. I'll go over the DJ lady first. I'm really concerned about her. It seems the 1-34-32 plant food I bought she doesn't like. I don't know what the deal is but she went from drinking 1gal+ every day to suddenly only 16oz or so. For some odd reason she's not liking the new food. I have been giving her straight water for about 4 days now and she just doesn't seem to be drinking much anymore. From how the plant looks I know there's still another month yet, probably more before she gets close to being done. I am going to try the 10-30-20 ferts again even if they make her a bit more leafy; at least she liked those nutes. You can also see the LB heritage taking over. At this stage in flowering there's no way any other variety would be pushing out new growth like she is. When I look back at the beginning of flowering I can say that my DJ lady easily stretched 20x just like they said LB strains tend to do. You can see that the buds have branched out considerably and those little branches are trying to fill out. What a beast. Anyways here she is:
IMG_5066.JPG

The biggest changes this week come from moving almost every single plant outside. The reason behind this is I found out I had a spider mite invasion. Some of the clones which I had taken from the offgrid site must have had a few mites on them when I brought them into the cloner. Fortunately it looks like I caught everything in time, as only the clones were affected. All of the healthy original parents showed no signs of infestation. I will be diligent and make sure they don't come back though! I'm a little scared for my DJ lady... with such a long flowering time I would hate to have a harvest ruined by bugs that's taken so long to grow.
For those curious how I am fighting the infestation I have a product called PureCrop1 and it's basically an oil you can coat your plants with that protects them from bugs and parasites. In addition to that when the plants were dripping wet from that, I also sprinkled D.earth all over the plants. The D.earth has clung to the oil giving each plant a little bit of a barrier to bugs. It only took 1 application to remove 95% of the bugs initially.

Anyways the plan moving forward has changed a bit too. I have almost all of my plants outside now, and some of them I am 100% won't finish in my location. I just don't have the environment for a tropical sativa. So my plan is to remove every male from the group, except for DB#1. He's going to be the sultan that pollinates them all. Most of the plants outside got battered over the last several days of 100 degree weather with 60 mph winds. Almost destroyed my babies!

IMG_5052.jpeg
These are about it for what I have inside now, other than the DJ lady. I do have 2 SubterFreak and 10 Menthol Skunk seeds germinating which aren't pictured. I'm looking for a pinnate-type male to breed to my BerryFreak lady. Additionally I wouldn't mind finding a minty Menthol Skunk specimen to try!

IMG_5054.JPG
Here's the new setup for the outdoor stuff! Not the most fancy but it works.

9 Giant Pur Purs:
IMG_5063.jpeg
I may select two females from this bunch to keep, but I'm not sure yet. It will depend on what phenos are female and which are male. I'm hoping that the pure lanceolate specimens turn out female, because those are what I'm most interested in.

1 poor Duckweb hammered by the wind:
IMG_5059.JPG

1 poor Imperium X hammered by the wind:
IMG_5058.JPG

V9 Tigers:
IMG_5057.JPG

Bastards:
IMG_5055.jpeg
5 Quacks on the left and 2 Drunks on the right. My #1 male is going nuts so I'm hopeful for good F1 seeds!

The biggest of the bunch:
IMG_5044.JPG
Here we have 1 Freakshow (top left), 1 BerryFreak (bottom left) and 2 F1 poly-hybrids.

Last but not least we have all the Lagkitan babies in fresh dirt!
IMG_5060.JPG
Most of these individuals were quite sticky, even though they aren't flowering yet. My goal here is to get F1 seeds with the DB male and select my keeper phenos. I'm hoping I will have enough time before the frost comes to select my keeper phenos and collect F1 seeds. I will be taking clones of every specimen today so that I can hold onto all the plants, until I'm ready to select my keepers.