What's new

Colorado Growers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just look at how Charlotte's Web and a CNN special pretty much cornered the CBD market just by being discussed about for specific usage to treat epilepsy...

Prime example.

Good to have you back, Bongaloid!

dank.Frank

S

SooperSmurph

Uggh, that line you cross where suddenly taking pictures with people seems exhausting and all you want is for one of the cute girls posing next to you to drag you home :(

Bongaloid

Just look at how Charlotte's Web and a CNN special pretty much cornered the CBD market just by being discussed about for specific usage to treat epilepsy...

Prime example.

Good to have you back, Bongaloid!

dank.Frank

I'm with you .Frank. Arguably, the CNN special convinced a majority of the Alabama legislature to pass its CBD oil law in the spring. The battle for hearts and minds on TV is frequently waged by fascists and crooks. Its nice to see that sick children were able to get some air time.
What is now being done with CBD oil can likely be done with other extracts.
B.

S

SooperSmurph

Sanjay Gupta set the movement back with this obsession over "Charlotte's web".

Suddenly a strain that doesn't actually exist is the only one people in government want grown, i've grown 3 different cuttings of CW, none have this amazing High CBD Low THC ratio they were claiming in the documentary, until someone can provide me with such a cutting, i'm labeling CW as a bullshit marketing myth.

Woke up in a wig with a hangover, damn you cosplay.

MHBGuy

Hey question for you legal beagles out there. It seems like vigorous LEO could argue that a male producing pollen is flowering. Think it would stand up if they tried to count that in your plant total? It's unfortunate A64 didn't differentiate between males and females as I believe that was the intent of the flowering language.

Bongaloid

I'm not licensed in Colorado, so don't rely on this. The regulatory scheme seems clear: the state does not want recreational growers to have more than 6 rooted plants, 3 of which may be mature, flowering plants. There is no provision for plant gender, so the law applies to male plants.
It seems like the State wants recreational growers to rely on clones, as I think it would be quite difficult to start from seed with only 6 seedlings.
While I think the scheme on the whole makes sense, it ignores hobbyist growers that could use a little leeway on plant counts.
The best way to get the state to amend the law is to make sure the proposed legislation generates revenue.
I think the bright line is licensing. Rather than try to have the state increase the unlicensed plant count, we might try to get the state to offer a hobbyist grower license that retains the prohibition on sales and limits the amount that can be given, but permits hobbyist growers to have the same number of plants that a maxed out caregiver can have. Sell the license for 100 a year and make breaches a no-fault fine, like a parking ticket.

MHBGuy

Thanks, Bongaloid. Kind of what I was reading into the language as well. Also seems like pre-flowers could cause some trouble. While not actually in flower, a plant with one pistil could be legally described as flowering, again probably not the intent of the law, but the way it is written.

C

CaliGabe

Thanks, Bongaloid. Kind of what I was reading into the language as well. Also seems like pre-flowers could cause some trouble. While not actually in flower, a plant with one pistil could be legally described as flowering, again probably not the intent of the law, but the way it is written.
Interesting take and agree probably not the intent of the law. The way I see it there's a difference between a sexually mature plant and one that is flowering compared to being in a vegetative state.

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
Some of my genetics preflower in veg, shooting out pistils from day 1 until the flip....I wonder if that qualifies for 2 plant count (1 in each stage). heh

Jhhnn

Veteran
Flowering males are almost certainly flowering plants for LEO purposes. It's inadvisable to see it differently. The 6/3 flowering rule is per adult. Various rules attempting to limit that to 12/6 per household are likely unconstitutional but untested to my knowledge. The language of A64 section 3 is quite clear in that regard, but crossover into federal prosecution could get tricky.

Seed growing is entirely practical, particularly with fem seeds.

It's important to remember that grounds for a state level search warrant are extremely limited. The smell of pot is largely immaterial, unless you're reeking out the neighborhood. Testimony by an undercover agent or informant is pretty much required afaict.

S

SooperSmurph

bummer! Lots of cuties in your pics. Chick in the purple topper and garters looks like lots of fun!
Had a pocketful of cash and business cards, not sure why I ended up without a group to hang with :tongue: for the best in the end, 20 lbs of costume takes its toll considering I was out till 2am in the same getup last night.

Bongaloid

Seed growing is entirely practical, particularly with fem seeds.

Feminized seeds were a novelty the last time I grew and I hadn't really thought of them as an option. There was a rumor that they posed an increased risk of hermaphroditism.

I never devoted any grow to just breeding, but would frequently use the one bud sleeve method of germinating/seed production. I would get a couple of hundred seeds and then start 5 or 10 of them the next time. That kind of grow is not practical with 6 plants with only 3 flowering.

To your point about enforcement, I think that sales/trafficking will be the primary focus now and not whether I have 7 plants instead of 6. But, it is perversely appealing to me to try to stay within the letter of the new law. If the state is going to be cool enough to legalize weed, the least I can do is play by its rules. Plus, I feel challenged to determine exactly how much weed can be produced by three megaton females in a backyard greenhouse.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Feminized seeds were a novelty the last time I grew and I hadn't really thought of them as an option. There was a rumor that they posed an increased risk of hermaphroditism.

I never devoted any grow to just breeding, but would frequently use the one bud sleeve method of germinating/seed production. I would get a couple of hundred seeds and then start 5 or 10 of them the next time. That kind of grow is not practical with 6 plants with only 3 flowering.

To your point about enforcement, I think that sales/trafficking will be the primary focus now and not whether I have 7 plants instead of 6. But, it is perversely appealing to me to try to stay within the letter of the new law. If the state is going to be cool enough to legalize weed, the least I can do is play by its rules. Plus, I feel challenged to determine exactly how much weed can be produced by three megaton females in a backyard greenhouse.

I'm sure that plant count limitations are more of a challenge for people who live alone. As you offer, if the state is cool enough to allow personal growing, then I'm cool enough to play by the rules. I'm not doing this to be an outlaw- that's not the point. I like to grow. Even with some investment in a grow, the price is far superior to any market alternatives. The quality is superb, the purity what I make it. As my technique has improved, yield is more than adequate. I simply do not sell, period, nor do I trade except for the purpose of variety.

Modern fem seeds from top shelf providers have very low hermie rates, in my limited experience. Many varieties are avail only as fems. Throwing a few nanners late in flower is not true hermaphrodism, nor do I care if there are a few immature seeds. That seems to happen with two sex lines as much as with fems, afaict.

To be very honest, I covet greenhouses quite deeply, although my circumstances rule them out. Proper selection of variety & excellent technique should provide enormous yield per plant- pounds rather than ounces. An embarrassment of riches would be easy to achieve.

The next big thing I'd like to see in CO cannabis is outdoor cultivation in privacy fenced yards. If that becomes widespread, it will become de facto legal. A64 is def open to interpretation in that regard, with actual legality untested in the courts. The energy footprint of indoor growing is enormous & should be embarrassing for green minded folks.

Seeds are currently a big bottleneck to more widespread cultivation, as well. My project over the next year is to create seeds of a few true breeding indoor/outdoor varieties, gift them to people, particularly people who will spread them even further. Maybe I'm still a subversive at heart.

Bongaloid

New era growing certainly requires a re-appraisal of technique. When I grew covertly, everything I did reflected that. Everything from strain selection to odor control, everything I did accounted for the possibility of undesirable intervention by the government. I started growing in the late 90's to reduce my volume of drug transactions. Growing for seed was just another part of that.

With regard to recreational growing, it seems like the state would love to ignore home growers all together, i.e., as long as you don't sell it, provide it to children or create a public nuisance, the legislature doesn't care what you do with weed. Your backyard overgrow scheme will likely work if your fellow growers don't get caught selling, etc...

I used to be part of a site whose philosophy was to bring about decriminalization and legalization through exactly the "subversive" activities you describe. Teach people to grow, give them some seeds and stand back. It seems to me that it is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts