What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

CBD Savior or Devil?

CBD Savior or Devil?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
sam, sounds like you particularly don't like how CBD mellows out your flying sativa (NLD) highs.... i can see that
ever consider how CBD might influence the bud of a nice indica (WLD) buzz?

Not to me.

also...
lets talk solutions to the "problem" you have presented.... or rather prevention to the possible scenario you have laid out. What CAN & SHOULD be done by growers, breeders, pollen chuckers and the like all do in order to "protect" the cannabis gene pool.

I guess the easiest is to not take CBD varieties to areas of traditional high THC only areas, but for the rest it is really the folks with little access to analysis that can't do much to avoid problems.
The less they are spread around without clear notice they are CBD the better

also, i knew you created finola, but was unaware that it was CBD rich.... around what percentages of CBD does it generally produce?

Not so high but it was used by many until higher CBD clones and seeds were available. You can grow it sinse and it still produces little THC. It was available.
-SamS

pinkus

Veteran
Personally the CBD weed I've grown and smoked was like anti-weed. I'm going to grow out a few Z6s and Z7s, but I'm pretty sceptical for my own use.

I grew out some CBD shark from MNS. It's the only modern strain that i can recall that reminds me of minnesota ditch weed I smoked as a teen.

The effects? Sleep. A buddy calls it Sandman whimsically, I call it sandbag because that what it does. :bandit:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Thanks for the post on terpenes Sam!

I wish I knew more, maybe someone else has now done more? I want to check every NLD that is extremely Potent, Strong, Clear, Up, Cerebral, Speedy, Euphoric, Psychedelic, with no Ceiling, and see what terpenes they have in common. Then try those with pure THC.
When I know the best try them in different combos and different ratios with THC.
-SamS

oldchuck

Veteran
Yeah, '96. The years blur together. Seems like yesterday.

As I said, Sam, the Cannabis gene pool is vast enough to accommodate. Look at the complexity of OLDpro's experiments. He is just one guy (or girl). My own experiments are nearly as complex and there are right now thousands and thousands of people of all skill levels throwing pollen around making an infinity of new combinations. The best will emerge. What the best genetics are depends on your point of view, your goals and objectives. Should a hemp farmer be concerned about what a doper wants?

It would seem to me that you, Sam Skunkman, who has grown weed by the hectare and spread millions of seeds around, ought to be the most qualified to do the kind of old school preservation you talk about. What us little people out in the hinterlands of semi legality shouldn't make much difference. The plant will prevail.

@Avinash, Finola, I think, has a low CBD content, under 5% at best. But it makes a better concentrate than those CBD elixirs made from hemp stalks that sell for stupid high prices. I've made a couple hybrids that probably come out a bit higher with some THC mixed in. For seizures anyway, I don't think it takes a very big CBD dose to be effective.

MountZionCollec

I had seen an article from 2013 about the werc shop in Pasadena California was supposed to be coming out with a big terpene study.

I recently looked more into but no study, they did recently start a terpene "enhanced" cannabis brand so maybe that's where the research study ended up?? I'm guessing that's where most terpene research will end up over the next couple years...

http://www.medicaljane.com/2014/05/22/cannaroma-the-werc-shop-unveils-terpene-enhanced-product-line/

They've done a bunch of testing but their is literally zero true NLD varieties available for them to test from Cali dispensaries so can't imagine too much enlightening info. I will be growing out all the "available" True NLD strains I can acquire in seed form and will begin testing them this winter. Will only have 15 or so females but next year I will test at least 99 with a late flowering bumper crop I will do. I will start posting smoke reports alongside cannabinoid/terpinoid profiles

Also the medical book "cannabis pharmacy" by Michael backes he claims the original haze had up to 2% CBD and that beta-caryophyllene is responsible for the up sativa high. Not sure where he got this information no citation.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Yeah, '96. The years blur together. Seems like yesterday.

As I said, Sam, the Cannabis gene pool is vast enough to accommodate. Look at the complexity of OLDpro's experiments. He is just one guy (or girl). My own experiments are nearly as complex and there are right now thousands and thousands of people of all skill levels throwing pollen around making an infinity of new combinations. The best will emerge. What the best genetics are depends on your point of view, your goals and objectives. Should a hemp farmer be concerned about what a doper wants?

It would seem to me that you, Sam Skunkman, who has grown weed by the hectare and spread millions of seeds around, ought to be the most qualified to do the kind of old school preservation you talk about. What us little people out in the hinterlands of semi legality shouldn't make much difference. The plant will prevail.

This is exactly what I am doing trying to do, warn folks of dangers before they happen. Do you think it good when unthinking folks took WLD hybrid seeds to Mexico, Jamaica and Morocco? The same will be true when CBD seeds are taken to traditional NLD THC drug areas. People can have CBD without adding it to many or all Cannabis producing areas, is a good way to start.
-SamS

@Avinash, Finola, I think, has a low CBD content, under 5% at best. But it makes a better concentrate than those CBD elixirs made from hemp stalks that sell for stupid high prices. I've made a couple hybrids that probably come out a bit higher with some THC mixed in. For seizures anyway, I don't think it takes a very big CBD dose to be effective.

Sounds right for sinse Finola.
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I had seen an article from 2013 about the werc shop in Pasadena California was supposed to be coming out with a big terpene study.

I recently looked more into but no study, they did recently start a terpene "enhanced" cannabis brand so maybe that's where the research study ended up?? I'm guessing that's where most terpene research will end up over the next couple years...

http://www.medicaljane.com/2014/05/22/cannaroma-the-werc-shop-unveils-terpene-enhanced-product-line/

They've done a bunch of testing but their is literally zero true NLD varieties available for them to test from Cali dispensaries so can't imagine too much enlightening info. I will be growing out all the "available" True NLD strains I can acquire in seed form and will begin testing them this winter. Will only have 15 or so females but next year I will test at least 99 with a late flowering bumper crop I will do. I will start posting smoke reports alongside cannabinoid/terpinoid profiles

Also the medical book "cannabis pharmacy" by Michael backes he claims the original haze had up to 2% CBD and that beta-caryophyllene is responsible for the up sativa high. Not sure where he got this information no citation.

RCC and I edited the book for Michael, but he had final word, I told him that O Haze was not upto 2% CBD when I had it, and as for containing Beta-Caryophyllene, it will not do that to THC, I tried it, it did not make THC better or stronger and none of the 12 experienced subjects in our Terpene/THC double blind testing thought so. I did not ever terpene test O Haze back in the day so I can't say what the terpenes were, neither can he, and just because the terpene is or is not present does not mean that it is responsible for any one trait or modification of THC, how many other terpenes were there?

-SamS

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I fully agree with Sam, it would be a travesty to have the genepool tainted with CBD or rudralis. It greatly worries me that you all argue about how great cbd and autos are for medical, but disregard recreational. If it wasn't for us rec smokers and growers you all would not have had med weed. Trust me we were not looking for no high plants back in the day. It is a recent fad.

That's fine, I'm glad it helps with the medical. I just don't want my rec weed loaded up with shit that will ruin my high. We need to take both rec and med into consideration and be responsible when breeding. Keep the lines seperate. I for one have never gotten anything positive out of smoking a high cbd strain or an auto flowering strain. Adding those two components simply ruins the high for me, if it gets me high at all.

My wife has fibromyalgia and I acquired some high cbd cannabis, she said it sucks, I said yeah I thought you would think so. She likes heavy indica's, when she has those she takes zero pills, and pills are the devil.

This auto critical I have here I can't get rid of. Can't smoke it cause it sucks and can't give it away because it sucks lol. Expertly grown no high cannabis, is utterly useless however you slice it.

So bottom line, no one has a problem with cbd, as it helps med patients. But don't taint the good stuff with cbd, not everyone smokes to treat an issue, well I smoke to treat my self to general well being and happiness, and that won't be achieved with no high cannabis. Keep your pollen in check people!

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
For fun I added a poll in the first post of this thread or on the top of every page, I am not so sure how they display, you can pick more then one answer.
Then we can see how the IC folks think about this issue.
Please vote!!!!
-SamS

MountZionCollec

In the book he did not say old timers haze had beta-caryophyllene, he only mentioned the CBD which I thought really odd for him to add since it seems to be one of the greatest representations of a strain that should not have it. This sort of misinformation to me seems as dangerous as the pollen chuckers recklessly throwing around CBD.

He mentioned the beta-caryophyllene a few times, the one I Just checked for was AK47 which he then says something about the terpenes myrcene and beta-caryophyllene were "duking" it out over control over the high.

thank you for clearing that up for me.

Tom Hill

Veteran
CBD is the absolute devil and it needs to go! :D

i live with many of these ailments that supposedly are alleviated by cannabis dominated by CBD according to rat research and all of that can go to hell as far as i am concerned.. i will gladly trade not remembering what i was on about a minute before against anything CBD can offer,, and i only get that from high THC varieties.. there is nothing more relieving than thinking to myself "shit,, what was i doing a minute ago? oh yeah,, i was reeling in pain,, lol" CBD does not and will never give you that like THC does..

Tom Hill

Veteran
going back to overgrow that has been my position,,, Haze works better than all this other crap that should work according to the rat killers.. most of them are imo are just nadless chumps looking to find some way into the better future we all want, and what pays their bills,, but i caution you all,, while humans are very wrong for very long periods of time concerning many things,,, they are rarely wrong about things like this.. CBD is gone from medicinal cannabis for very good reason..

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
What an awesome fucking thread.

My mind is spinning from the implications posed by the player's
contributions on this touchy subject.

Guess I'll get my genetics tested. My personal tastes notwithstanding,
I need to know what I'm breeding, and what I'm smoking.

Great thread.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Patients I have talked to have told me that THC lets them think of other things and takes their minds off pain and the like. They say that CBD helps with symptoms and eliminates some. I also know many that say CBD works much better with THC. If you don't like the being high effects of THC try CBD, if no result try CBD/THC you can also just learn to love THC with very slowly increasing a small amount like 10mg for a few days then 15mg then more until you get relief and the high does not bother you or maybe you like it.

CBD does have uses, I know that I have talked for 25 years to the researchers and to patients that were helped by CBD or high CBD Cannabis.
Now as for getting high for me CBD is useless, but this is personal, I know people that prefer herbal Cannabis or resin with a THC/CBD content they like it better.
When Tom is saying that CBD is gone from medicinal Cannabis for very good reason he is referring to I believe traditional Ganja grown sinse from around the world, all with little or no CBD. It is not true about dry sift WLD hash varieties, they can be high in CBD.
-SamS

Tom Hill

Veteran
thousands of years of effort thrown down the drain so some friggin hippies can get fat off pot whilst finegeling their way around laws that be...... you all heard me good and plenty if you have no clue better you keep your hands off our collective human stack we been working on it for like thousands of years and your latest flavors really don't concern us much.

Tom Hill

Veteran
i'd love to have a nickle for ever clueless chump-ass quack that tried to teach me about CBD