What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

CBD Savior or Devil?

CBD Savior or Devil?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kinkao

My personal 2 cents , is ,there will be pros and cons cbd forever , happy with or not is a personal choice .
Now the REAL point is to be able to go back to the original landraces and start the game over any time we want .
UNFORTUNATLY , there s only preservation of landraces original stock only with few people.
And it is so precious , that guys like green house seeds , the strain hunters had the GREAT IDEA to show to all of us , they can have access to almost all landraces in many countries , and " Generously " spread their dutch " cup winners " seeds to the local growers , knowing that their polen will probably be spread all over and FUCK OUR ORIGINAL MOTHER EARTH SEED BANK !!!!!

THESE guys are the real criminals !!!!

I beleive they , now keep their stock of landraces genes in a very secure place .

Imagine someone droping good wine in the last precious fresh water .... ???

Their we should all stand up !

I never had the chance to meet Arjan , but if i do , it will be lots of fun ...

Sorry SamSkunkman , maybe i went out of sbject !?

Best of all

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I wish they would sell pure landrace genetics, but they do not.
The reason might be as easy as when I collected landraces, most of what I grew was not as good as the best of the best from that area, so I grew thousands of imported Thai seeds and found just a few worth keeping, the same with WLD Afghani Indica's, I grew thousands from imported seeds and only a few were worth keeping. It is hard to find and takes time to produce a landrace variety and then anyone can buy your seeds and knock them off if they are a pure landrace. If you only offer hybrids they can't knock off the work as easy, but people can still make clones and spread them around. I am in favor of true breeding varieties including all the landraces, use them or lose them folks...
The only real way to save a landrace is to use it with large populations, collections in a gene bank is a poor second. They will be reproduced every few years and because of the small numbers used they lose genes every reproduction. Or they are frozen and inaccessible to anyone and not used.
-SamS

Last edited:

Donn

I might be misunderstanding some of this, but if we're looking for a broad taxonomic category that has anything to do with CBD ... I just spent a couple minutes looking over test analyses from sclabs.com, and if there's such a taxonomic entity, it must be rare in terms of common market strains in California. Everything comes up 0.03 to 0.07%, and the 0.07% could be Super Silver Haze or Master Kush or whatever you want. (OK, one ACDC that was hot on CBD.) It doesn't look like wide or narrow leaf is going to predict CBD levels. And whatever causes "couch lock", it doesn't look like it's CBD.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Couch lock is enhanced by CBD, but I agree that varieties with no CBD can be couch lock just from THC and terpenes like Myrcene.
On average WLD varieties do have more CBD then NLD varieties, some much more, but what we see analyzed are the selected clones not the average. So they do have less CBD then the average.
-SamS

Donn

One of the better retail stores around here briefly had some "Shiatsu Kush", high CBD, from a grower we were talking about, and the lady at the counter was very enthusiastic about it for recreational use - "feel comfortable in your own skin", "good for a date" if I remember right.

I suppose the THC in these strains is still playing a very significant role, even when it isn't the dominant cannabinoid, but the effect is subtly different and much nicer than just a low dose of THC.

Ollie

Veteran
Couch lock is enhanced by CBD, but I agree that varieties with no CBD can be couch lock just from THC and terpenes like Myrcene.
On average WLD varieties do have more CBD then NLD varieties, some much more, but what we see analyzed are the selected clones not the average. So they do have less CBD then the average.
-SamS
Invaluable information, thanks Sam.

Ollie

Veteran
This is a quote from cannabinoids-and-terpenes-as-chemotaxonomic-markers-in-cannabis-2329-6836-1000181

"As with the flowers, it can be noticed that the presence of high amounts of CBD is relatively rare. Out of 170 samples, 138 samples had less than 4.9% CBD."

I dont understand the writing of that, because thats quite alot percentage wise, if looking at all produced Phytocannabinoids by the plant. Also CBD accouring in 138 samples, sure some of it has been there for long time and in small amounts ? but Im pretty confident its also a happening of OP´s take on the situation, ie. genepool contamination.

pinkus

Veteran
This is probably not the RIGHT thread, though it is tangential.

In my small experience with a "known" CBD strain, I don't like it at all. I might use it at the end of a long day as sleep aid. But I don't like the frame of mind it puts me in. This COULD be because I flat out don't like the taste, it reminds me of minnesota roadside hemp. That bad. I had two plants. Both on the "wrank" side of dank.

This brings me to what I'm really more excited about, Terpenes. One in particular that I don't particularly love flavorwise, but do love effects wise is "wintergreen". I bought some of Chimera's Mexican Highland x BB looking for this in particular... I didn't find it in the only female F1 I've run, but the Male I ran and pollinated things with DID give it to some of his offspring :dance013: Or maybe it's the blueberry that brought it out, either way it's turned up in a big way in a few Xs.

I was happy to see Satva mention wintergreen in his analysis of some of his plants.

Tom Hill

Veteran
nobody likes it brother it is counter propaganda at best. humans as a whole have done away with cbd in medicinal cannabis for good reason.. then a couple of chumps played golf together,, one a senator and one who owned a drug company,, money passed, and so started this huge decline of thc in varieties worldwide,,, then after well meaning but still sell out hippies found some use for cbd, along started this march,, well, somebody better stand up for medicinal cannabis still and cbd can go off in the corner and play by itself like thc just had to then let's regroup after that, seems fair? :D

Terpenes interacting with THC is indeed the more worthy path imo (sam was a pioneer of this theory) and guys like Chimera are researching further including exact paths of inheritance among other things,, viva drug strain cannabis.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
The analysis would have to analyze just the newer bred varieties only to see the CBD shift. I talked to the labs, they do see it. To me 4.9 is high and way more CBD then found in most hemp varieties.....
-SamS

This is a quote from cannabinoids-and-terpenes-as-chemotaxonomic-markers-in-cannabis-2329-6836-1000181

"As with the flowers, it can be noticed that the presence of high amounts of CBD is relatively rare. Out of 170 samples, 138 samples had less than 4.9% CBD."

I dont understand the writing of that, because thats quite alot percentage wise, if looking at all produced Phytocannabinoids by the plant. Also CBD accouring in 138 samples, sure some of it has been there for long time and in small amounts ? but Im pretty confident its also a happening of OP´s take on the situation, ie. genepool contamination.

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
For NLD's little or no CBD. I am not so sure about any THC decline, I think they are getting higher in the West, the same levels in traditional areas. Maybe a few like Thailand have gone down because of law enforcement disrupting the growing and trade.
-SamS

Last edited:

KiefSweat

Veteran
since cbd/thc is basic Mendelian genetics wouldn't this not even be a problem in a few generations when everyone like Tom selects back for Thc in the f2s?

and i can agree with Tom about the big biz aspect of things, but the funny thing is how they have no real competition with what they are doing as no one wants to do it.

Tom Hill

Veteran
everybody will try as they should and have been doing since time began. however crossovers will do there job not letting it be eliminated and as you and your colleagues pointed out previously it is fairly simple arithmetic to realize fairly "pure" varieties in regards to macro cannabinoids. so,,, nothing lost that i can see just a mere course correction and remind folks that no particular motion needs to be made to accommodate inferior grass lol..

pinkus

Veteran
so,,, nothing lost that i can see just a mere course correction and remind folks that no particular motion needs to be made to accommodate inferior grass lol..

Framed the way I see it :bandit:
Thanks Tom!

nordsman

They both have there place. I want both ..as it becomes more accepted at first we may see some loss in diversity. But as time moves forward I belive we will see diversity comeback as the plant re adapts itself to whatever particular climate it is grown in and selected for. The plant is highly adaptable and can be changed pretty drastically with only a few generations givin the chance with enough plants in open pollination.

I'm very optimistic about the future of our favorite plant and look forward to the diverse future of flavors and properties of future offerings from great breeders

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
I've smoked an oldskool hybrid with THC & CBD which had a spiritual high, good for meditation issues.Personally i'm a sativa connoisseur, but the sativa's i like are the ones with THC & THCV like Durban or the Thai i just found.The one from Ghana i smoked was also with this combination.

I think that the decline of good old sativa's started with the introduction of indica's, which have more a body effect than a cerebral high.

The EU approved hemp varieties are lower in CBD nowadays than the older ones pre-EU.

picture.php

Mahmoud Elsohly was talking in the CNN documentairy from Gupta about 36% THC (27min31), which he had found.

[YOUTUBEIF]hrVXRZY1_x0?t=1651[/YOUTUBEIF]

Keep on growing :)