What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

CBD Savior or Devil?

CBD Savior or Devil?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
A good majority of the people making "cbd" strains dont even know what the fuck they are doing, just cashing in...

Let me find the youtube video of a well known breeder company talking about its bad ass cbd strains then the guys asks em how much cbd is in em and theyre like uh idk...

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Like superfood is CBD becoming a hype nowadays.If i see pipet bottles of 10 ml for 60 euros and it is diluted with olive oil, it is just a rip off.

Like i said earlier there are some older strains which had CBD in it.A few years ago there was a test with a particular pheno of a variety which was not kept btw because the grower didn't know that before, but the result of the test was 15% THC and 11% CBD.Some of the genetics in that variety came originally from Old Ed (RIP).

I would assume that with the introduction of indica's in the 70s that CBD also came along with a different terpene profile than what the tropical sativa's normally have.

Keep on growing :)

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
"Skunk #1 is grown since 1978, originally bred by Dutch Passion,"
That is what the site says so if bred by Dutch Passion then what would I know?

BTW Skunk#1 was bred by me and had very low CBD almost none. The CBD synthase gene is non functional mostly. But traces of CBD are found in almost all Cannabis because of multiple different copies of the CBD synthase genes functional or not. And because of the inheritance of THC & CBD at a pair of alleles that makes THC & CBD slightly more complicated then if they shared one allele.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/nph.13562/full
-SamS

Last edited:

SpaceBros.

Traces of CBD are found in almost all Cannabis because of multiple different copies of the CBD synthase genes functional or not. And because of the inheritance of THC & CBD at a pair of alleles that makes THC & CBD slightly more complicated then if they shared one allele.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/nph.13562/full
-SamS

Nice link! Thanks.

What were the team at GW Pharma smoking when they came up with an allelic monogenic Locus B? I supposed Mendelian ratios were observed so I can't be too harsh.

http://www.gwpharm.com/cultivation.aspx

Nice to visualize Ctot and Bd/Bt mapped to chromosomes 1 and 6 respectively. Ever isolated any viable trisomies in Cannabis?

Betterhaff

Veteran
Was in CO and was surprised to see the offerings of CBD varieties in the Rec dispensaries. The ones I visited had 2, 3, to 4 types for sale. Maybe it’s for the tourist trade to accommodate medical needs (or for rookies needing a lesser high). Or the hype.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i've watched "the scientist" documentary a few times.... in it Raphael Mechulom states that in his early tests of hashish he was finding 4.5% - ish CBD, doesn't that imply that CBD was present in at least the plants used to make the hash he was testing... and not at negligible levels either.
so that tells us something, right? that not all drug variety cannabis had all the CBD bred out of it, even by the 1960/70's

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I think CBD is great medicinally. I find it calms my anxieties and helps slow my racing thoughts. I find for me a 1:1 ratio is best, so I am growing some Juanita la Lagrimosa. Juanita was never bred for CBD and it's high CBD was discovered when it was tested for a cup.

That being said I definitely see the concern with these varieties getting crossed into everything and diluting the gene pool. I see the same thing happening with auto flowering strains.

I am hopeful that there is enough responsibility with breeders to keep the lines separate. I am confident there is enough demand for high THC and low CBD to keep both available.

Betterhaff

Veteran
i've watched "the scientist" documentary a few times.... in it Raphael Mechulom states that in his early tests of hashish he was finding 4.5% - ish CBD, doesn't that imply that CBD was present in at least the plants used to make the hash he was testing... and not at negligible levels either.
so that tells us something, right? that not all drug variety cannabis had all the CBD bred out of it, even by the 1960/70's
I read a paper (possibly by Mechulom, can’t remember) that was comparing different strains and hash for cannabinoid content. Most definitely the hash had higher percentages of CBD, in some cases more than 4.5 %. Farmers growing and harvesting fields of plants solely for resin production, there was no differentiation for THC and CBD.

Easy7

Veteran
I enjoy the euphoria of feeling a hit as I exhale. CBD bud just doesn't do that.

I suppose CBD has some medicinal effects so no need for it to be bred completely out.

Ollie

Veteran
Landraces with open pollination, selected for resin production (without favoring THCA as main Cannabinoid) thus some varietals used for traditional hashish production, is relative high in CBDA and when mixed up all together after harvest, prior to sifting one gets a product which is not pure THCA.

Thats why some love imports from Africa for instance, because the seeds sown is usually from the seasons best plant/s, smoke tested by the farmer and sometimes with huge distances between one and eachother field wise, so cross contamination is "not existing", compared to Morocco for instance, where fields are upon each other.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Was in CO and was surprised to see the offerings of CBD varieties in the Rec dispensaries. The ones I visited had 2, 3, to 4 types for sale. Maybe it’s for the tourist trade to accommodate medical needs (or for rookies needing a lesser high). Or the hype.

Tourism is huge... CO is surrounded by several illegal states and folks from tjose states cannot get med cards. So.e want the CBD buds. Utah says CBD is legit w a docs note but they refuse to allow distribution within the state soppatients must commit a federal offence in order to obtain their meds.

Also... there are a huge amount of folks that refuse to give the state their names just so they can grow a coule of plants. Especially considering that every adult citizen 21+ has the Right to grow.

Betterhaff

Veteran
It’s too bad that people have to come there for medicine when it may be available from trusted growers.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Almost all traditional dry sifted hashish is high in THC/CBD this is because while growers of Ganja smoke each plant and keep just the seeds of the best plants with the most high effects, Hashish growers keep the seeds of the plants with the most resin regardless if the resin is THC or CBD, Hash farmers do not smoke individual plants, they only smoke resin from many plants. They can pick the plants with the most resin to keep the seeds of. Bottom line is most Ganja varieties have mostly just THC while dry sift Hashish varieties have THC/CBD, handrubbed hash plants like in Nepal can be mostly THC, as the Ganja is also smoked and hash from one plant can be smoked, so seeds of the best in THC only could be saved.
Good documentary.....
-SamS

Aksala

I honestly don't really see how this affects you. You are a great breeder not some pollen chucker. If anything it will make your gear more attractive knowing its pure. CBD is a good thing. I can't see how high THC will ever be bred out of cannabis.

Last edited:
C

Collembola

breeders ruining genetics, not the cannabinoids.

sam is probably just pissed off at shantibaba for cashing in on CBD,

shantibaba, shouldn't have said all the "only regular because [that makes you a better breeder then everyone else]",

but not if you want to go CBD way, tries to justify by seperate company (but takes nearly all credit).

releases too many strains, floods market

(i grew 4x but all very skunk cbd parent dom > i don't want stinky medicine)

maybe why sam is so pissed off ?, cbd parent is probably progeny his skunk ??

> skunk and afghani MAIN culprets for RUINING gene pool

--------------------------

"it's for the sick people....", no

you people don't listen to sick people, sick people don't want 50 BS cbd strains to come out, only medicine (which is subjective and not dependant on singular chemicals, could be CBD 1:1 THC (all natural, subjective choice), also sick people don't want breeders being dirty to each other.

> STFU

Last edited: