What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Bigfoot - Legend Becomes Fact?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Premium user
420club
an actual deer costume in hunting season, yeah that's a darwin award for sure
kind of makes you wonder what motivates the hoaxters and hardcore believers
/especially with bigfoot there have been several proven fakes and zero real evidence?

igrowone

Veteran
kind of makes you wonder what motivates the hoaxters and hardcore believers
/especially with bigfoot there have been several proven fakes and zero real evidence?
it's a very complicated topic, hoaxing benefits are few
the number of hoaxes seems to be well exceeded by the number of unreported events
most people don't report such things, they see nothing but down sides
UFOs were in the same camp for along time, but evidence accumulates slowly and it becomes tougher to ignore
UFOs don't have 'real' evidence in captured ships and pilots, none in the museums anyways
I view both as paranormal things, and the rules(whatever they are) are very different from the every day world rules

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Premium user
420club
it's a very complicated topic, hoaxing benefits are few
the number of hoaxes seems to be well exceeded by the number of unreported events
most people don't report such things, they see nothing but down sides
UFOs were in the same camp for along time, but evidence accumulates slowly and it becomes tougher to ignore
UFOs don't have 'real' evidence in captured ships and pilots, none in the museums anyways
I view both as paranormal things, and the rules(whatever they are) are very different from the every day world rules
they posted a video they hoped would go viral and hook all the likes
/$$$
but bigfoot is played out, and its the chupacabra with all their gold medals in paris getting all the attention
/$$$$$$$
with ufos you have to look at the source, but a dot on a screen filmed from a us fighter jet is not proof
but i believe there is intelligent life in the universe but why come to earth?
weird huh?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
all accounts of them wearing animal skins to get close (that i have read about) were during a tribes organized hunt, primarily for bison. they used a wolf hide, because the bison saw wolves every day, and didn't flee instantly like they did when spotting human hunters. until the plains indians got horses, it was about the only way they could get close enough to kill with a bow and arrow.

moose eater

Guy I went to undergrad with, but didn't know well, went hunting across Cook Inlet with another I did know, and a third party, maybe a fourth as well, who I wouldn't meet for years.

Fellow came walking back toward camp near dusk wearing a coon skin cap, and the one I didn't meet until years later drilled him through the head with a .30-06; DOA like no one's business.

Inexcusable shot. Second rule of hunters' education is that you ALWAYS be able to 100% ID the target you're shooting at. Guy who squeezed SHOULD have been charged at least with negligent homicide or manslaughter, but never was. Took up drinking to alleviate his conscience.

But he ended up going halibut fishing with us out in Cook Inlet, and I told our common friend who owned the boat, who'd asked me if his presence was OK, that he could be there, I didn't like him, but he wasn't to touch any firearms onboard while I was there.

igrowone

Veteran
they posted a video they hoped would go viral and hook all the likes
/$$$
but bigfoot is played out, and its the chupacabra with all their gold medals in paris getting all the attention
/$$$$$$$
with ufos you have to look at the source, but a dot on a screen filmed from a us fighter jet is not proof
but i believe there is intelligent life in the universe but why come to earth?
weird huh?
much depends on interpretation
I suspect UFOs are not aliens, at least not in the sense they're from another star
which partly explains a long journey with hard to understand motivations, there is no long journey
so it's not just UFO's and bigfeet, there's a vast range of unexplained phenomena which may fall into the paranormal category

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Premium user
420club
much depends on interpretation
I suspect UFOs are not aliens, at least not in the sense they're from another star
which partly explains a long journey with hard to understand motivations, there is no long journey
so it's not just UFO's and bigfeet, there's a vast range of unexplained phenomena which may fall into the paranormal category
interesting thoughts!
i agree that even if you could fly across the galaxy, why?
the expenditure of time and energy alone seems like a big deterrent
id be interested in hearing where aliens come from if they arent extra terrestrial!
/i think there is a ufo thread you could post on or just post your thoughts here for simplicity if you care to
intelligent beings study lower life forms they find. been that way forever. curiousity, you know. you never know what might be learned...
i like this explication
but i still have to wonder why would they want to visit the earth just to look at monkeys in cities
Guy I went to undergrad with, but didn't know well, went hunting across Cook Inlet with another I did know, and a third party, maybe a fourth as well, who I wouldn't meet for years.

Fellow came walking back toward camp near dusk wearing a coon skin cap, and the one I didn't meet until years later drilled him through the head with a .30-06; DOA like no one's business.

Inexcusable shot. Second rule of hunters' education is that you ALWAYS be able to 100% ID the target you're shooting at. Guy who squeezed SHOULD have been charged at least with negligent homicide or manslaughter, but never was. Took up drinking to alleviate his conscience.

But he ended up going halibut fishing with us out in Cook Inlet, and I told our common friend who owned the boat, who'd asked me if his presence was OK, that he could be there, I didn't like him, but he wasn't to touch any firearms onboard while I was there.
that sucks for everyone involved, like you said, positive id is 100% key before pulling a trigger

moose eater

interesting thoughts!
i agree that even if you could fly across the galaxy, why?
the expenditure of time and energy alone seems like a big deterrent
id be interested in hearing where aliens come from if they arent extra terrestrial!
/i think there is a ufo thread you could post on or just post your thoughts here for simplicity if you care to

i like this explication
but i still have to wonder why would they want to visit the earth just to look at monkeys in cities

that sucks for everyone involved, like you said, positive id is 100% key before pulling a trigger
They had no communications, and the boat that had dropped them off wasn't due back for several days.

They had 2 smaller tents, so they stuffed the deceased fellow into a sleeping bag in one tent, and crowded the remaining folks into the second tent.

A memorable hunting trip, to say the least.

igrowone

Veteran

this is the UFO thread put up, pretty active but there some other UFO threads
posted some of the same thoughts, and other ramblings
ape like beasts have been associated with UFOs in a number of occurrences
other times UFO's have been associated with all manner of paranormal goings on
this is a reason that bigfeet, UFOs, and such are viewed so skeptically
science as we know it doesn't fit well with such bizarre observations

armedoldhippy

Veteran
drilled him through the head with a .30-06

positive id is 100% key before pulling a trigger
they had a local on trial a couple of years back that had shot and killed a man who was standing in a stream flyfishing for trout when killed. it wasn't dark, or foggy, nothing, and the maniac that shot him had a scope on his rifle. he KNEW what he was shooting at...:mad:

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Premium user
420club
they had a local on trial a couple of years back that had shot and killed a man who was standing in a stream flyfishing for trout when killed. it wasn't dark, or foggy, nothing, and the maniac that shot him had a scope on his rifle. he KNEW what he was shooting at...:mad:
this is called murder where im from and i wonder why did the local guy shoot this person
that sucks man

igrowone

Veteran
this is called murder where im from and i wonder why did the local guy shoot this person
that sucks man
should be called murder anywhere
but from the context sounds like maybe it wasn't?
just to fit it in to the OP, running around in ape suit is very crazy
and not many would consider it, maybe a few whack jobs but it tends to lower the chances of really good bigfoot hoax in the middle of hunting season

oldmaninbc

I read about a man who had been in a car accident, his vehicle went over the bank and down into an area of brush. He was missing for a lengthy period(days) due to his injuries, he eventually manage to get out of his vehicle and crawl up the hill to the road. Just as he was getting to the road he was shot and killed by a hunter.

When he was in court and being questioned by the judge, he told the judge, "the man had a beard and I thought he was a bear."

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Premium user
420club
and not many would consider it, maybe a few whack jobs but it tends to lower the chances of really good bigfoot hoax in the middle of hunting season
I read about a man who had been in a car accident, his vehicle went over the bank and down into an area of brush. He was missing for a lengthy period(days) due to his injuries, he eventually manage to get out of his vehicle and crawl up the hill to the road. Just as he was getting to the road he was shot and killed by a hunter.

When he was in court and being questioned by the judge, he told the judge, "the man had a beard and I thought he was a bear."
yeah i would like to hear more of the story but im sure it still ends the same, some guy just out fishing getting shot by some s'head with a gun
same with the guy by the side of the road
unless something is charging you or a danger to other people, wtf?
a real hunter is not trigger happy
not only are they going to 100% id their target, they will often wait to get the best shot off before shooting
/no one wants to go running through the bush chasing down a wounded animal

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Premium user
420club
i actually think there would be more hoaxes because this is when its nice outside
show me a video of the bigfoot in freezing cold conditions, climbing a steep ass hill where no sane person would go
naw... bigfoot dont do that

this also brings up the question, why hasnt a hunter in the history if n.am ever shot a bigfoot by mistake?
i can dig how at first you would think oh s'ht i just shot someone, but upon further review when you would see its not a person, wouldent you report it
/i think its a crime to shoot bf in oregon and maybe washington but those are kind of hawhaw laws

igrowone

Veteran
i actually think there would be more hoaxes because this is when its nice outside
show me a video of the bigfoot in freezing cold conditions, climbing a steep ass hill where no sane person would go
naw... bigfoot dont do that

this also brings up the question, why hasnt a hunter in the history if n.am ever shot a bigfoot by mistake?
i can dig how at first you would think oh s'ht i just shot someone, but upon further review when you would see its not a person, wouldent you report it
/i think its a crime to shoot bf in oregon and maybe washington but those are kind of hawhaw laws
great conversation, that's what I'm looking for
crappy weather/cold tends to reduce the number of potential observers, there are fewer cameras and people out there
I suspect bigfoot(and similar phenomena) can't be shot like UFOs can't be shot down
they're paranormal phenomena and the rules are different
I don't recommend testing this theory, shooting at bigfeet could produce unexpected results

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Premium user
420club
great conversation, that's what I'm looking for
crappy weather/cold tends to reduce the number of potential observers, there are fewer cameras and people out there
I suspect bigfoot(and similar phenomena) can't be shot like UFOs can't be shot down
they're paranormal phenomena and the rules are different
I don't recommend testing this theory, shooting at bigfeet could produce unexpected results
yes! very interesting conversation indeed! and you could be right
i agree with more people out enjoying nature it would increase the number of sightings just because there are more potential witnesses, but also wouldent it drive the bigfoot deeper into the bush?
/most wild things tend to avoid human contact
i know bears and other animals have been drawn to the garbage people leave behind and ive seen the scavenging that goes on at camp sites after all the people have left
i dont think i would even want to shoot a bigfoot
i dont care how clean a shot i had, it just looks too hominid and not something i have a desire to kill
if it was charging at me or trying to tear down my door im lighting it the f'up, but then it would be more self defense