What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

90s (Super) Skunk

kro-magnon

Veteran
I had a clone of JillyBean who had 2 very different terpene profile when grown in different conditions, first grow was indoor with a bag of soil and Bio Bizz nutes, the smells were orange and skunky(nasty smells) then this clone was grown outdoor in the native soil and the buds reeked of gasoline so much it was disgusting. i believe in the idea of terroir for grapes, the grape plants are all clones and they give different results depending on the soil where they are grown. That's why I think a specific nutrition program or a specific soil might have play a role in the smells.

BerryManilow

@BerryManilow

That pic u posted are u sure it’s skunk ?
I grew a lot of kush and Chem strain and that looks like a kush or chem hybrid or bag seed .. the dark green leaves the purple elongated stems of the fan flowers / purple stems and the nugs are growing tight and close to the stem I’m almost sure that’s a hybrid from the chem family
Which photo? I have 5 different strains running in that room right now.

One is the Super Skunk, and those genetics have been verified from the source and have been around for well over 20 years. It's definitely Super Skunk and not a diesel or chem.

The one I just posted is the "roadkill" skunk. It's from a completely different source, its a 40 year old clone line, and the plant was in pretty rough shape when I got it. Very old looking stem and weird spindly growth. I took some clones from it and was just going to keep it as a mother plant, but decided to flip it instead. That's why the stems look like that. The smell alone is so different from any chem or diesel I've ever seen. It stinks way worse than the ECSD and very different terp profile.

I have ECSD and grew it for 10+ years. I've grown Purple Diesel & Chemdog, and smoked them many times. Its possible they're related but this line comes from before the chem or diesels got popular.

BerryManilow

I had a clone of JillyBean who had 2 very different terpene profile when grown in different conditions, first grow was indoor with a bag of soil and Bio Bizz nutes, the smells were orange and skunky(nasty smells) then this clone was grown outdoor in the native soil and the buds reeked of gasoline so much it was disgusting. i believe in the idea of terroir for grapes, the grape plants are all clones and they give different results depending on the soil where they are grown. That's why I think a specific nutrition program or a specific soil might have play a role in the smells.
I believe that certain additives may help promote the smells if they're already present in the genetics, but mother nature does it best. Indoors we do our best to replicate the optimum conditions of outdoors.

Ever since I've been running full spectrum UV + CO2, I find that the smells are way stronger and much more pronounced, no matter the strain.

kro-magnon

Veteran
In my experience a plant can have a different smell profile depending on the feeding, the terpenes must have been the same but the ratio was different, some being augmented via different feedings, changing the smells because a different one became domiant.

eastcoastjoe

In my experience a plant can have a different smell profile depending on the feeding, the terpenes must have been the same but the ratio was different, some being augmented via different feedings, changing the smells because a different one became domiant.

I would agree to an extent but there is no chance a whole profile just disappeared in to thin area because of a product.

kro-magnon

Veteran
In my case it was a whole different settings not just one product and I think it only modified the ratio of terpenes, creating a different smell with the same ingredients at different doses.

eastcoastjoe

I've been doing some digging for the "roadkill" skunk and I was able to come across some very rare finds. I was just asking everybody for seeds or clones of their skunk from around here (northeast) and as I was talking to somebody about it, I got a notification.

Turns out, my friends (who own a dispensary on one of the native reservations) just so happened to have clones and teens for sale at their dispensary. I've known their family for most of my adult life, they're awesome people and have deep roots in the culture. This came right from the family. I told them to hold the clones for me but they were already gone. Well the family member ended up bringing me another teen, so I grabbed 2 teens of the 90s (super) skunk.

Which photo? I have 5 different strains running in that room right now.

One is the Super Skunk, and those genetics have been verified from the source and have been around for well over 20 years. It's definitely Super Skunk and not a diesel or chem.

The one I just posted is the "roadkill" skunk. It's from a completely different source, its a 40 year old clone line,

I gotta tell ya man, the more I read this, the crazier it sounds. You must be the luckiest guy in the world. Just 4 moths ago you were looking for skunk, now you have a 40 yr old roadkill skunk clone and a 20+ yr old super skunk clone. And of all places to find it, it was in a dispensary shelf of someone you known your whole life. That’s an incredible story!!

Vallen

Haven't finished flowering these yet. Anybody can say they have skunky plants, but the finished buds & smoke is the real proof.

I'll be sharing these buds with lots of people around here for smoke reports. We have a huge cannabis community across the state, and will be sure to pop into some of the bigger events, so we have some reliable people and names confirming what I've been saying this whole time.

Until then, we're all waiting on plants to grow.
Ok. I would appreciate it. Just let me know when ready.

kro-magnon

Veteran
I believe that certain additives may help promote the smells if they're already present in the genetics, but mother nature does it best. Indoors we do our best to replicate the optimum conditions of outdoors.

Ever since I've been running full spectrum UV + CO2, I find that the smells are way stronger and much more pronounced, no matter the strain.
I've never used CO2 or UV but since I switched to LED the buds from my garden are stronger smelling and taste better, it's the feedback I got from the people who buy buds from me. I'll maybe get a UV/IR supplemental LED bar to see if I can make my flowers even better.
I'd really like to have the occasion to see your Skunk and Super Skunk buds once they are ready to smoke to know how those smells are. The Skunk lines were my favorite when I discovered indoor buds in the 90's but in the seeds I had the foul smelling phenotypes had been bred out. Those "sweet" Skunk had an incredible high who was really working for me.

BerryManilow

Not that crazy really. Been growing for over 25 years, connected to plenty of people who have been doing it as long or longer. I've been holding genetics for 15 years myself and have a bunch of 15+yr old cuts.

The SS wasn't at some cookies type giant dispensary
Skunk plants dispensary.jpg

90s Super Skunk.jpg

kro-magnon

Veteran
The prices for those clones are reasonable compared to the price on strainly for unrooted branches. I hope it will provide you with nice buds, seeing those are from the 90's it is possible it's coming from Sensi Seeds stock, they were at the top of the game at this time.But it certainly doesn't have the usual look the Super Skunk had, it could be a rare expression of this seedline or coming from a different source, it's hard to pinpoint the exact origin of many clones.

BerryManilow

I've never used CO2 or UV but since I switched to LED the buds from my garden are stronger smelling and taste better, it's the feedback I got from the people who buy buds from me. I'll maybe get a UV/IR supplemental LED bar to see if I can make my flowers even better.
I'd really like to have the occasion to see your Skunk and Super Skunk buds once they are ready to smoke to know how those smells are. The Skunk lines were my favorite when I discovered indoor buds in the 90's but in the seeds I had the foul smelling phenotypes had been bred out. Those "sweet" Skunk had an incredible high who was really working for me.

I experienced the same when switching to LED from HPS. Stronger smells, more pronounced and better tastes, and really gorgeous flowers. Plus hitting about double the weight compared to HPS.

The UV bars were an extra attachment to our lights from the company. They plug into the lights seamlessly, with their own on/off switch and can be connected to their controller. I highly recommend adding UV, since that's what LEDs are missing compared to HPS.

These plants are moving right along and I'm looking forward to the finished buds also. My strain I've kept around for 15 years is OG Kush x Old School Skunk(Skunk Special), along the lines of a lemon skunk and it's my favorite flower ever. I really appreciate the sweet skunks. Mine is able to be concealed way better than most of the powerful smelling strains, and that was needed back then.

Last edited:

BerryManilow

The prices for those clones are reasonable compared to the price on strainly for unrooted branches. I hope it will provide you with nice buds, seeing those are from the 90's it is possible it's coming from Sensi Seeds stock, they were at the top of the game at this time.But it certainly doesn't have the usual look the Super Skunk had, it could be a rare expression of this seedline or coming from a different source, it's hard to pinpoint the exact origin of many clones.
Those are legacy clone prices and about the same as they have always been, even for rare cuts. Most of the time we would just trade genetics.

That's the crazy part! Somebody picked up a Super Skunk clone before I got there for $25!!!! The prices of clones nowadays are outrageous. I'm not paying $10k-20k for a real skunk plant, but I'll pay $60 😎

I spoke to the source and these aren't from Sensi. It's Afghan(T) x Skunk #1, which was Nevil's line before Sensi.

kro-magnon

Veteran
Strange, the parents of Sensi Seeds Super Skunk are Skunk#1(female) x AfghanT(male).
Are you sure it's not the same but written the other way around, before the strains were described with the male first at least some breeders were doing this.

Wuachuma

This seed seller has not the best reputation, he has a sub forum here i think but not a lot of growers use his seeds. And the man is half crazy, he has some of the funniest conspiracy theory.
My bad, I thought he had a sub here but it's not the case.
Madman got me banned at OG because he pays to play. He reports everyone's posts that goes against his narrative.
Then, both here at ICMag and OG, he pays to be able to delete peoples' posts that expose his scam and delusions.
I hold Rezdog in higher regard than Madman.
The reason for my ban was I posted that I'm not comfortable posting pics of my garden anymore now that the forum is protecting a person who doxxed another grower, causing that grower to not only get fired but to lose his medical license. Madman called that grower's mother to complain about him, and when that didn't work, Madman doxxed the grower by researching where the grower worked and told the grower's employer that he grows weed. So, the grower lost his job and medical license because Madman ratted him out.
At least Rezdog ratted to stay out of jail. Madman ratted for free.

eastcoastjoe

Not that crazy really. Been growing for over 25 years, connected to plenty of people who have been doing it as long or longer. I've been holding genetics for 15 years myself and have a bunch of 15+yr old cuts.

View attachment 19042601

View attachment 19042604

View attachment 19042601

View attachment 19042604

I believe you

BerryManilow

Strange, the parents of Sensi Seeds Super Skunk are Skunk#1(female) x AfghanT(male).
Are you sure it's not the same but written the other way around, before the strains were described with the male first at least some breeders were doing this.
To the best of my knowledge it's Afghan (T) x Skunk 1, which was Nevil's cross of Super Skunk before he gave the genetics to Sensi. Sensi's site says it's Skunk#1 x Afghanica, so they're the only ones who (should) really know for sure. There's always controversy around the lineage, so I don't claim to know with 100% accuracy.

eastcoastjoe

To the best of my knowledge it's Afghan (T) x Skunk 1, which was Nevil's cross of Super Skunk before he gave the genetics to Sensi. Sensi's site says it's Skunk#1 x Afghanica, so they're the only ones who (should) really know for sure. There's always controversy around the lineage, so I don't claim to know with 100% accuracy.

People already told you the details

Latest posts

Latest posts