What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 State of the genepool discussion.

H e d g e

The really sad thing is they are out there, people just aren’t sharing.
I think it was Ed rosenthal said to test the test he sent them loads of samples, one he knew had skunk in and the others all collected in the field from pretty much every country you could think of years back, they all tested 100% landrace except the one he already knew was outcrossed.

Shame you can’t get on the galaxy anymore, someone had about 15 different pure Thais. It lists who sent the samples so you can see who’s got the clean stuff, it’s out there in private collections.

Eta it is searchable. I’ve just been looking, just not as easy via Google. Ma Dang has some good ones, Congo, Thai stick, Thai medicine, Colombian gold. His Acapulco isn’t pure though and one of his Thai sticks has some hemp in it.

Last edited:

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Last time I’ll bother to say this.

Just because Phylos lists it as Congo, Thai, Colombian, etc doesn’t mean it actually is.

It just means the person who paid to have their samples “mapped” told Phylos that’s what they are.

Phylos are frauds. This has been well established for years. Guess no one remembers their chief shit heads speech to investors?

CharlesU Farley

Just because Phylos lists it as Congo, Thai, Colombian, etc doesn’t mean it actually is.

It just means the person who paid to have their samples “mapped” told Phylos that’s what they are.

Phylos are frauds. This has been well established for years. Guess no one remembers their chief shit heads speech to investors?
Let me add a "me too" here... Phylos has absolutely no credibility, whatsoever.

H e d g e

Do you not think it’s interesting that all the varieties that were collected pre 80s tested pure landrace and since then the chromatography has gone from looking like tall grass to a ski slope? Regardless of where people claim to have collected them?

Dime

I do remember when I started smoking pot,everything was named by country of origin,there was no zombie death f-cks or ball point pen weed at the time

Last edited by a moderator:

H e d g e

People call it whatever they like, they're almost all hybrids anyway and we can only go by what the source claims it to be.
A hybrid between two or more landraces will still test as a pure landrace, check out a5 haze.
It’s just a computer generated map that illustrates the impact skunk og and hemp have had on the gene pool.
Probably they were discredited and the galaxy shut down to avoid this becoming common knowledge.

Dime

I remember most of the weed was somewhat similar and based on sk#1 when i started growing indoor .When Sensi released jack herer it brought a strong old school high back to the table

H e d g e

I remember most of the weed was somewhat similar and based on sk#1 when i started growing indoor .When Sensi released jack herer it brought a strong old school high back to the table
All the weed was good when I started growing. The first outcross from landrace to skunk amplified everything, that’s why everyone crossed their plants with it.
Unfortunately it quickly deteriorated after a couple of generations and the original land races were lost.

CharlesU Farley

I do remember when I started smoking pot,everything was named by country of origin,there was no zombie death f-cks or ball point pen weed at the time
1000014489.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

xtsho

Here is what I know and what I'm doing. I know that genetics are being lost. I'm saving what I feel are important to me. I admit I have small sample sizes and that isn't the best but it's better than nothing. I might not be reproducing with thousands of plants. But my pack of ten seeds at least saves something. I don't cull males and I mix the pollen and share it with all the females. It's not ideal but it's better than not reproducing strains.

The packs of five or ten seeds that I turned into hundreds of seeds might not be as diverse as some want but they're still that strain. Maybe not as diverse as some think they should be but it's better than nothing.

I've got reproductions and crosses of OTH and ACE Thai. And a couple dozen others along with the reproductions of each individual strain.

I can't do much more other than make sure I have genetics for my own purposes.

Last edited:

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Here is what I know and what I'm doing. I know that genetics are being lost. I'm saving what I feel are important to me. I admit I have small sample sizes and that isn't the best but it's better than nothing. I might not be reproducing with thousands of plants. But my pack of ten seeds at least saves something. I don't cull males and I mix the pollen and share it with all the females. It's not ideal but it's better than not reproducing strains.
Under the circumstances, we can’t let perfect be the enemy of good. Most of us are hobbyists and laymen. What you describe doing is about the best most of us can do.

I know I bang the drum about population size a lot but there is good reason for it. I’m not trying to put anyone down who can’t use many plants. I get it. But when you’re making F2s or repro’ing an old line, using as many plants as possible is just best practice.

Instead, many think they are doing something good by narrowing down the number of males and using only 1 or 2 that “pass the test.” That type of selection pressure has no place in making F2s or doing a seed increase of a line. Preservation without alleles is just breeding.

Cannabis plants can have 2 alleles at each locus/gene. These alleles represent variation. When you perform a 1:1 mating, there will only be 4 alleles at each loci. Many of the old lines people revere had plants with dozens if not hundreds of alleles. This is where the diversity and resilience of these lines came from.

My approach to making seeds, particularly for F2 or IX, is as follows:
  1. Load the P1 gen with as many plants as possible.
  2. Don’t cull males unnecessarily.
  3. Avoid 1:1 matings for at least the first two generations.
I would offer as a suggestion to get (at least) 2 packs of a line whenever possible. Those additional seeds come in handy.

The packs of five or ten seeds that I turned into hundreds of seeds might not be as diverse as some want but they're still that strain. Maybe not as diverse as some think they should be but it's better than nothing.
The issue isn’t that you only have 5 or 10 seeds to make more. For your purposes that’s fine.

It’s that often times all that people can find of a given line is a repro that was made by someone who only used 5-10 seeds. Over subsequent generations it’s easy to see how this becomes a problem.

Add in global access and these lesser lines can become widespread, and serve as the basis for someone’s first experience or understanding of what that line is.

This gets back to the preservation issue, and why the burden to reproduce and maintain certain varieties shouldn’t exclusively fall on hobbyists.
I've got reproductions and crosses of OTH and ACE Thai. And a couple dozen others along with the reproductions of each individual strain.

I can't do much more other than make sure I have genetics for my own purposes.
Until some major changes occur, that is about all that any of us can do.

Last edited:

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
🦫 Special 🍆

last reminder to those who forgot the TOU.

El Timbo

last reminder to those who forgot the TOU.

This thread would make a good mod training exercise.

linde

i'll try and post something less stupid.
and thats only my honest opinion.

i think that on a macro scale we have
1. a big pool of small variety.
2. many small pools of medium variety.
and
3. a few microscopic pools with amazing genetic variety.

thank you for your time.
I think... Something floating in the pool! As Eddie Murphy put it