What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 State of the genepool discussion.

RobFromTX

The only commercially available seeds that tested pure landrace at phylos are ace’s Thai and their old timers haze, the a5 haze is also pure which is weird because it supposedly has nl in it which isn’t but they crossed it with the Thai and oth so there’s four.
So those are the only 3 strains available that are pure sativas??

I guess ive never grown one

H e d g e

Dont trust Phylos. Theyve been exposed for allowing specific companies to pay to alter the Galaxy to fit a specific narrative
Didn’t hear about that, do you remember much more details? I know people got upset when they started selling seeds, not sure why though, can’t imagine anyone would buy them.
Somethings a bit fishy because they had a variety on there that was 100% pure skunk but it’s been removed.

Last edited:

H e d g e

Ive been growing ace gear for years but never those 3 strains you listed. Just honduras and some panama hybrids. Enjoyable stuff though
Most of the ace stuff was tested, you can’t search the galaxy on their site anymore but you can still get the results from a Google search, ‘phylos galaxy ace Honduras’ or whatever.

Last edited:

H e d g e

@RobFromTX
C0CA76C8-E763-45AA-B126-48CD108F62C7.png
58D2743A-4455-42B4-822D-2B7BA3A52B50.png

H e d g e

The berry category is all stuff crossed to dj shorts plants which had Thai in them.
If you look at the chromatography reference bars for skunk cbd og and hemp you can see something has gone awry vs the berry and landrace categories.
Og was obviously messed about with more recently or subtly, it only has a few horizontal/flat points to the spikes to differentiate it from landrace.
ABC65EC5-A9F2-4DFE-AFDE-370B62DAD0D7.png
27F5E0AE-08CC-416B-8B79-010F98549C96.png

Last edited:

CannaZen

The thread is there for all to read.

Unless you edited half your posts afterwards like you did in this thread. Surely that's not bad faith from you of course. Are you aware that the time of the edit and the time of the following posts are both displayed?
I used to have that bad habit. I've learned to not edit things so that it's there. Gotta go. Dog suffering. I think I've been feeding the bad wolf.

GrandpaMillenial

So the thai has a small bit of "berry" in it. Would this indicate that its also not a pure landrace?

NorthWest of thailand is burma and there are some berry flavors coming outta there.

I believe thats even where dj shorts thai came from, somewhere near the thai burma border. and what are country borders to a plant

CannaZen

The berry category is all stuff crossed to dj shorts plants which had Thai in them.
If you look at the chromatography reference bars for skunk cbd og and hemp you can see something has gone awry vs the berry and landrace categories.
Og was obviously messed about with more recently or subtly, it only has a few horizontal/flat points to the spikes to differentiate it from landrace.
View attachment 19052749 View attachment 19052750
Think of the wild cats, some pollen got in there but it may still had been bred Thai, it mostly is right or at least what us unique to Thai. Speaking of that I've seen a wild one. A the wild native Mt cat with the genes for that but he's also some house cat. People feed him. This one's been living from some pet food but also what he could forage. Not the wild wild kind but certainly the montana cat.

H e d g e

Phylos is complete and utter bullshit. They are not a credible source of information. Anyone citing them in 2024 is not paying attention.
If you’re not being publicly demonised these days you’re probably a long way off what’s actually going on. The data was computer generated to avoid controversy.

Last edited:

CannaZen

Phylos is complete and utter bullshit. They are not a credible source of information. Anyone citing them in 2024 is not paying attention.
I don't believe they're able to determine ancestry either but they do pick up markers, ellegibly. Whatever crazy story they come up with the markers mean and come from. At least I can remember and the case description matches and it's my life. That is how I know.

Last edited:

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Why removing the post with the link to coffeshop menus?
For those who want to check what is sold in Amsterdam today look for coffeeshop menus .org. It shows there is still many haze crosses sold, other Dutch classics not just the latest american hybrids(of course you can find them as well). But I didn't see any Skunk or NL.
Haze and Dutch crosses don't represent diversity. I love haze but noted that was the only thing on those menus that is close to a real sativa. A hybrid that has NL (if it's breeding came from Nev which all those listed did). The world of sativa's is so much more diverse than haze.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Let’s all ignore the attention seekers and stick to this awesome topic.

@rasputin if you lost all your clones and seed stock and had to buy seeds in todays market, what would you be grabbing?
Great question. I actually had to entertain this question recently due to an accident involving my electrician and the spare fridge that houses my seed collection. 355 different lines were potentially fucked. I did a quick germ test and luckily all appears to be well.

But for a couple of days I had to consider the real possibility that the viability was at least reduced and at worst entirely nil. Fun times.

Anyway, to answer your question…

I would personally start by acquiring some Afghan and Thai genetics. I don’t want to publicly endorse any one company, I haven’t grown enough of the commercial offerings to provide relevant info on the quality of their stock. But I would start doing my homework on those two types in particular. Just a personal preference.

CSI, Bodhi and Crickets & Cicada would also be on my list. I would target certain lines from them: S1s from CSI, DLA from Bodhi and M10TK from C&C, for example. This would provide a good baseline for certain varieties to select individuals for outcrosses. That’s when the real fun would begin.

I like to breed from top down. I have an idea in mind and then grow plants trying to find an expression that conforms to my ideal rather than just popping a few seeds and rolling the dice with whatever comes up. That can be fine at times but more often I like to have a goal.

Right now I’m starting to work on a Topanga Canyon Pure Kush x Haze project. My goal is to find a plant that has the depth of flavor and potency of Topanga, but with a Haze high. The first step is finding a Haze line that I think can work well for this.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
I don't believe they're able to determine ancestry either but they do pick up markers, ellegibly. Whatever crazy story they come up with the markers mean and come from. At least I can remember and the case description matches and it's my life. That is how I know.
Picking up markers sounds good until you consider that their database is corrupt. They don’t know which plants entered into their galaxy are the real deal or not.

They took people at their word that it was what they submitted, but of course not everyone had the real cut. So there are multiple OG Kush, Chem91, etc and Phylos can’t tell you which one is legit.