What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 State of the genepool discussion.

zaprjaques

da boveda kid
Lol sorry no I meant in general. Not to your post. I was watching Beverly hills Cop last night and the pool cleaner part was in my head .. my bad lol!
no worries, love that flick. 😁
edit:
in relation to my post i'd say the doodoo is the good stuff.

led05

Chasing The Present
. When was the last time resin would fog up the bag?.. I've not seen that in at least 30 years. Some batches were so strong in flavor it was impossible to hold in a small toke. It's rare to find weed like this today.

An eighth of Durlumbo does it in hours; bummer you haven’t seen it in over 30 years, majority of the sativas I grow will do this every time on the unusual occasions I bag them

IMG_1899.jpeg

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Under the circumstances, we can’t let perfect be the enemy of good. Most of us are hobbyists and laymen. What you describe doing is about the best most of us can do.

I know I bang the drum about population size a lot but there is good reason for it. I’m not trying to put anyone down who can’t use many plants. I get it. But when you’re making F2s or repro’ing an old line, using as many plants as possible is just best practice.

Instead many think they are doing something good by narrowing down the number of males and using only 1 or 2 that “pass the test.” That type of selection pressure has no place in making F2s or doing a seed increase of a line. Preservation without alleles is just breeding.

Cannabis plants can have 2 alleles at each locus/gene. These alleles represent variation. When you perform a 1:1 mating, there will only be 4 alleles at each loci. Many of the old lines people revere had plants with dozens if not hundreds of alleles. This is where the diversity and resilience of these lines came from.

My approach to making seeds, particularly for F2 or IX, is as follows:

1. Load the P1 gen with as many plants as possible.
  2. Don’t cull males unnecessarily.
  3. Avoid 1:1 matings for at least the first two generations.
I would offer as a suggestion to get (at least) 2 packs of a line whenever possible. Those additional seeds come in handy.

The issue isn’t that you only have 5 or 10 seeds to make more. For your purposes that’s fine.

It’s that often times all that people can find of a given line is a repro that was made by someone who only used 5-10 seeds. Over subsequent generations it’s easy to see how this becomes a problem.

Add in global access and these lesser lines can become widespread, and serve as the basis for someone’s first experience or understanding of what that line is.

This gets back to the preservation issue, and why the burden to reproduce and maintain certain varieties shouldn’t exclusively fall on hobbyists.

Until some major changes occur, that is about all that any of us can do.

Great post.

led05

Chasing The Present
Last time I’ll bother to say this.

Just because Phylos lists it as Congo, Thai, Colombian, etc doesn’t mean it actually is.

It just means the person who paid to have their samples “mapped” told Phylos that’s what they are.

Phylos are frauds. This has been well established for years. Guess no one remembers their chief shit heads speech to investors?
I was on a couple of their early investor pitches all way back in 2014; I called out Mowgli then on a call and not a person in that group invested, I’m shocked he ever turned it into something, it was all BS at least till back then; I amazed at all the sleeze that jumped on board in subsequent years post 2014 personally but there are many, thinking they’d make a cheap buck, sadly they all tarnished their reputations for shit returns - well imo, ha

Last edited:

led05

Chasing The Present
Picking up markers sounds good until you consider that their database is corrupt. They don’t know which plants entered into their galaxy are the real deal or not.

They took people at their word that it was what they submitted, but of course not everyone had the real cut. So there are multiple OG Kush, Chem91, etc and Phylos can’t tell you which one is legit.
That’s the bright side of their level of fuckup but you’re exactly correct; none of their “archetypes” have any credibility and some of them were being built solely for IP & future litigations to claim ownership over others works, all just tip of the iceberg shit, again just my opinions - ha

That said there’s still a ton of value in their databases of accumulated data, as long as you understand what it is and what you’re trying to pull from it, there’s value there for certain…

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Last time I’ll bother to say this.

Just because Phylos lists it as Congo, Thai, Colombian, etc doesn’t mean it actually is.

It just means the person who paid to have their samples “mapped” told Phylos that’s what they are.

Phylos are frauds. This has been well established for years. Guess no one remembers their chief shit heads speech to investors?
You can have genetics mapped, like dogs DNA now????? If so, who does it??? If I ever get clone that is not infected, would like to check that too, since they all seem to be frauds.

H e d g e

You can have genetics mapped, like dogs DNA now????? If so, who does it??? If I ever get clone that is not infected, would like to check that too, since they all seem to be frauds.
Not anymore, the company doing it just sells their own seeds now.
I’d have paid them to test my seeds if they’d continued, the data they collected was invaluable to anyone interested in landraces.
It should have been set up as a community seed bank for people to verify and sell their seeds and cuts.

Last edited:

BerryManilow

There are companies that do DNA testing on cannabis. I sent samples to one one back in 2017. There are others doing the same.
View attachment 19055603 View attachment 19055604 View attachment 19055605
Do they have a big database? Phylos is probably the biggest but all my homies hate phylos. You can still acesss their data but the galaxy is gone.

Kannapedia has a decent sized database, which also connects to the phylos data. MyfloraDNA is doing genome testing as well, but not sure how many cult8vars they have mapped.

JetLife175

Veteran
For everyone commenting about phylos still being a source for any sort of information.....

Their data is FLAWED. It is not a reputable source for anything.

I cannot believe this is still a thing.

Do not Trust phylos. I knew it way back when, when my buddy sent in two of the same cut and they tested completely different! Had one as an afghan and another as a haze. Make it make sense!

xtsho

The problem with these labs doing genetic testing of cannabis is that there is not a reliable source of data. Different labs will likely produce different results based on whatever data they scraped together. They can say X% OG Kush and Y% Haze but what version of OG Kush and what version of Haze?

The data being used as a starting point is unreliable. The methodology is flawed.

H e d g e

NOW OFFERING WHOLE GENOME SEQUENCING​

IN COLLABORATION WITH LIGHTHOUSE GENOMICS​

Higher coverage, lower cost, faster turnaround. Inquire for pricing.

Looks like it just got more accurate. If I was selling seeds I’d test them, the value of any landrace would go up by more than enough to cover the cost if it tested pure.

CharlesU Farley

As Rasputin previously posted, this is the problem with any and in fact, _all_ , DNA testing of cannabis:

"They took people at their word that it was what they submitted, but of course not everyone had the real cut. So there are multiple OG Kush, Chem91, etc and Phylos can’t tell you which one is legit."

When Phylos first had open access to their website and Galaxy, I had a legitimate question about whether my IBL of Northern Lights, developed under a 1 kw MH light, in a 2x5 closet, was genetically different now from Sensi's original NL. When I checked, there were like three different varieties of NL, all with different DNA markings and/or disparate ancestor info.

That told me all I needed to know, and that was many years ago.

H e d g e

As Rasputin previously posted, this is the problem with any and in fact, _all_ , DNA testing of cannabis:

"They took people at their word that it was what they submitted, but of course not everyone had the real cut. So there are multiple OG Kush, Chem91, etc and Phylos can’t tell you which one is legit."

When Phylos first had open access to their website and Galaxy, I had a legitimate question about whether my IBL of Northern Lights, developed under a 1 kw MH light, in a 2x5 closet, was genetically different now from Sensi's original NL. When I checked, there were like three different varieties of NL, all with different DNA markings and/or disparate ancestor info.

That told me all I needed to know, and that was many years ago.
It makes sense that selecting for traits in a hybrid would change the level of relatedness to one parent or the other but if you tested each generation of a contaminated landrace, would it be possible to select away from anything modified? Or does it just get worse every generation regardless of which plants you select?

gaslit_kush_co

It makes sense that selecting for traits in a hybrid would change the level of relatedness to one parent or the other but if you tested each generation of a contaminated landrace would it be possible to select away from anything modified? Or does it just get worse every generation regardless of which plants you select?
Educate yourself on mendel and his squares 💯