What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Microscope for examining trichomes

DevilWeed

Thanks Devilweed, just ordered one of those scopes. Is the image you posted at 200X? Does it display a live view of whats under the lens? Looks like exactly what i need to determine harvest time. Very tired of looking through the eyepiece of the radioshack scope, and I love the ability to snap photos.

Hey So, can't remember what mag that was taken at. Looks like it was about 200x. Yes it does display a live view. You can even take video with it. For the price, I couldn't find anything better.

DevilWeed

The problem is that it's all strain dependent, some strains never go amber.

Ain't that the truth! :tiphat:

FWIW, I found out pretty quick that trichs don't tell all. Only way I know of (and can think of other than lab testing) to determine optimum ripeness of a particular pheno is to grow it out and pull samples at different times. Since "optimum ripeness" is subjective, it's gonna be different for everyone. The basic guidelines of clear/cloudy/amber were a good starting point for the strains I have. By keeping track of multiple runs (perpetual) I was able to pinpoint harvest times.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Anyone have suggestions for a microscope attachment on a Nikon dSLR? Seems like you can get an adapter to mount the scope. Thanks.

WFF

Bumpity bump...got an Eyclops too, it's pretty bomb, because i can't use the small jewelers lens or that stuff because i can't keep my damn hand straight...til I'm medicated, but that's not til I harvest this crop! Gonna see about uploading straight from my USB here either later or tomorrow...I'm stoned and tired and got work in the AM, so PEACE!

Oh yeah, I bought mine online too from like toys r us or some shit...was like 35 w/ shipping, buts its great. takes pics, and goes from 100x,200x,n like 500x or something which is overkill...100x, MAYBE 200x for really looking at a gland closely...when do most people pick their bud based on ambers found?

If you can use a USB scope, the Veho VMS-001 is great and I think it was about $50.

View Image

Hi

I bought VEHO VMS 001 after seeing your pics because I wanted to know if my plants were really ready for the chop or not...however, I just cant get it to zoom in and give me the clear picture you have. I go to about 30 something and after that its blurred....will keep playing but any tips are welcome :tiphat:

Hi

I bought VEHO VMS 001 after seeing your pics because I wanted to know if my plants were really ready for the chop or not...however, I just cant get it to zoom in and give me the clear picture you have. I go to about 30 something and after that its blurred....will keep playing but any tips are welcome :tiphat:

This is what Im getting off leaf of Chronic....looks kind of clear to me but want to get a closer shot...what do you think

thc.jpg

Dready_jake

Veho only has two magnification setting in reality. Depending on your scope it's either 20x or 400x. For the vms001 I think its 20x and 100x

Dready_jake

Ain't that the truth! :tiphat:

FWIW, I found out pretty quick that trichs don't tell all. Only way I know of (and can think of other than lab testing) to determine optimum ripeness of a particular pheno is to grow it out and pull samples at different times. Since "optimum ripeness" is subjective, it's gonna be different for everyone. The basic guidelines of clear/cloudy/amber were a good starting point for the strains I have. By keeping track of multiple runs (perpetual) I was able to pinpoint harvest times.

I've found that if the strain seems to never finish. Then there is too much N in the nute schedule. Sativa's aren't huge fans of N and too much prolongs flower/finishing. Try a schedule where you can lower the N mid flower and see if she finishes right

Unclecrash

Thank's man. Welooked over the whole store and my guy must not stock it. But he will now. LOL F'in hiding right under my nose I use a lot of Gen Hydro stuff.

Dready_jake

Ya its the organic line. General organics. I only use this from them and geuss what? It's a sample. It'll last me like a year or longer especially with things slowing down for the move. I only use it mid flower when tapering off the base... So.... Really long. Its botanicare KIND the rest of the way for me! No additives, nothing but kind.

Dready_jake

so since this thread was about scopes here ya go. I finally got my new scope in the mail(first one had an issue) and got some pics.
as i said the veho-004 only has two zooms plus what you can kinda do to zoom after the fact.
here is the 400x setting

and the 20x zoomVVV

$50 bucks what do you guys think?

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
It does not take pics...but the best 45x magnifier I found (less then $3) looks like this--

45-times-with-LED-lights-can-be-adjusted-magnifier-with-LED-light-microscope-pocket-size-37.jpg

Even with a shaky hand (too much caffeine?)--you can determine size and color of trichs...something I found difficult with some of the more sophisticated magnifiers.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
thats the same as I use Eclipse... BARGAIN! (think I got mine sent from ebay/china for like 1.50 ;) )