What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
I have a small jar of iso, that i have been saving for a couple or three years when I clean out my grinder. I have been afraid to do anything with it out of concern for health issues around iso. But, what do I know maybe I have no reason for concern. I do need to do something with it soon, while I can put it on a pie plate and let it evaporate down in the warmth of the sunroom . Any suggestions?

Hello and good day!

It's actually more like a hash that collects in the grinder.
I would put it on a ceramic plate and let it evaporate and scrape the remnants with a razor blade.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a small jar of iso, that i have been saving for a couple or three years when I clean out my grinder. I have been afraid to do anything with it out of concern for health issues around iso. But, what do I know maybe I have no reason for concern. I do need to do something with it soon, while I can put it on a pie plate and let it evaporate down in the warmth of the sunroom . Any suggestions?

Hello and good day!

It's actually more like a hash that collects in the grinder.
I would stick the jar in the freezer for a couple days and then filter it through a coffee filter, before evaporating it away in a Pyrex pie plate or casserole dish.

The "Winterizing" step removes the inert plant waxes.

Isopropyl is rated by the FDA as a Class 3 solvent, so the allowable residual solvent is as follows:

Solvents in Class 3 (Table 3) may be regarded as less toxic and of lower risk to human health. Class 3 includes no solvent known as a human health hazard at levels normally accepted in pharmaceuticals. However, there are no long-term toxicity or carcinogenicity studies for many of the solvents in Class 3. Available data indicate that they are less toxic in acute or short-term studies and negative in genotoxicity studies. It is considered that amounts of these residual solvents of 50 mg per day or less (corresponding to 5,000 ppm or 0.5 percent under Option 1) would be acceptable without justification. Higher amounts may also be acceptable provided they are realistic in relation to manufacturing capability and good manufacturing practice (GMP).

BumSplodgeBrownPants

I would stick the jar in the freezer for a couple days and then filter it through a coffee filter, before evaporating it away in a Pyrex pie plate or casserole dish.

The "Winterizing" step removes the inert plant waxes.
I did this.

The green slime that was left in the bottom of the mason jars was quite yucky.

Hey Grey Wolf, do you just leave yours to evaporate naturally? Or do you use heat?

I see people putting the iso wash straight in a crockpot, but I've always been a bit scared of burning the oil so I put it in a pyrex bowl floating on hot water in the crockpot.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fan blowing over the top won't hurt it none
It will speed it up quite a bit actually, but increases the amount of dust and hair that comes in contact with the surface, as well as atmospheric humidity.

If you stretch a towel across the dish and blow across the towel, it will speed up evaporation and when you are down to a beige liquid, you can place the dish in the fridge to harden the resin and pour or wick off much of the 5% plus pickup water that is left after most of the alcohol is gone.

You can evaporate away the balance in a warm oven and the fumes given off will be significantly below Lower Explosive Limits.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I did this.

The green slime that was left in the bottom of the mason jars was quite yucky.

Hey Grey Wolf, do you just leave yours to evaporate naturally? Or do you use heat?

I see people putting the iso wash straight in a crockpot, but I've always been a bit scared of burning the oil so I put it in a pyrex bowl floating on hot water in the crockpot.
I actually use a vacuum chamber or oven, but have boiled off the alcohol by setting it in a 250F hot vegetable oil bath and monitored the concentrate temperature closely.

The solution can't reach 250F until it has boiled off every constituent with a boiling point below 250F, so you pull it out when you reach 174F at sea level.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can’t remember last time I had a night like that dwelling on undone chores. You may need to take a morning smoke now and then…🤪
We set our own goals and decide how we feel about things.

Consider the following dichotomy after you bring your wife home a dozen red roses.

Does she respond with, "How sweet, he loves me" and feel warm and fuzzy or "What has that sneaky son of bitch been up to now" and feel disappointment and anger?

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
We set our own goals and decide how we feel about things.

Consider the following dichotomy after you bring your wife home a dozen red roses.

Does she respond with, "How sweet, he loves me" and feel warm and fuzzy or "What has that sneaky son of bitch been up to now" and feel disappointment and anger?
I guess that would depend on if he’s a sweet romantic guy or a snake in the grass. I usually try to be optimistic in most situations but if it looks like a duck…

OleReynard

I actually use a vacuum chamber or oven, but have boiled off the alcohol by setting it in a 250F hot vegetable oil bath and monitored the concentrate temperature closely.

The solution can't reach 250F until it has boiled off every constituent with a boiling point below 250F, so you pull it out when you reach 174F at sea level.
A crockpot works quite nicely also.
Jar sitting in water

Africanna

So I am reading and seeing up close very good with my left eye and see good distance with my right. It’s kinda different and takes a bit of getting use to but the doc says my brain will adjust. I can at least see to drive now street signs are not blurry. My latest eye is still dilated a bit as they had to use some strong solution on me but it seems to be getting better. i have to do drops every 2 hours which should be less soon. I think it was worth it. Not having to wear glasses is so weird for me still. I haven’t tried the new eyes out at night yet to see how night vision is.
Sounds like progress. Hang in there sister.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why I like pressing rosin and quit doing any type of solvents.......not even water.
Just dry tumble then press the kieff for full melt but we like vaping the kieff better than dabs.
I've pressed Rosin and shared some fine Rosin by others! Especially when pressed from dry sieve instead of leaf.

There is high terpene retention producing good flavor and effect.

The biggest advantage solvent extraction offers is that it produces a quality extract at a substantially higher yield and thus lower price.

Beating the plant material to get substantially higher than 50% yield starts to green out the kief with plant debris, where nonpolar low boiling point solvents remove most of it without extracting polar chlorophyll.

One way to offset that is to process the dry sieved plant material with a low boiling point non-polar solvent to glean the balance.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A crockpot works quite nicely also.
Jar sitting in water
I like the hot oil in a Cuisinart fondu pot, so that I have precise temperature control when subsequently decarboxylating.

Unlike water, the oil doesn't evaporate away and the Cuisinart has more precise temperature controls.