What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Microscope for examining trichomes

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
With decent macro cameras so cheap these days, why are scopes may glasses etc still used? Take a couple of pics at arms length has to be easier than bending over bushes trying to look at the ones in the back ?

PTP

I plan on using my digital camera on macro setting. How far away do you take your pics? Afterwards just load them up on putter and blow them up?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Most of the time I just zoom in on the preview PIC on the back of the camera. Don't bother loading into the PC unless I'm posting them here, which I don't do anymore. My camera has a 1cm macro distance, others need more distance others less. High shutter speed to reduce those shakes is more important.

theclearspot

It does not take pics...but the best 45x magnifier I found (less then $3) looks like this--

View Image

Even with a shaky hand (too much caffeine?)--you can determine size and color of trichs...something I found difficult with some of the more sophisticated magnifiers.

Yeah I have this one. I have a few strains been flowering approx 7 weeks and the trichomes still appear clear?! maybe its the light in Greenhouse dunno. Yes and you need a pretty steady hand...:laughing:

Snook

Still Learning
It does not take pics...but the best 45x magnifier I found (less then $3) looks like this--

View Image

Even with a shaky hand (too much caffeine?)--you can determine size and color of trichs...something I found difficult with some of the more sophisticated magnifiers.

I agree but there's a 60x one now.. cheap, clear and bright wish there was a 75-80x. that is what I use to see clear to cloudy, not able to determine at 60x.. that's my old eyes.

its sometime later still askin these questions.. I had the eyeclops, cant remember why but gave it away to a friends kid. Theres also a hand held jewelers loupe made by DBPower (amazon - $12) has both 30x or 60x, LED lighted.

but can believe there isn't an app that will go 60x up to 100x with enough clarity to see 'easily' a few tricomes without being a contortionist.

OH.. looking into macro camera but not wanting to spend $2-300 dolla.
EDIT2: $8>90x.. don't really need a macro camera cuse I suck at takin pics, and shake naturally.

EDIT: Just found pocket scope by MUDDER 30x-60x-90x w LED $8. I'll have to get so close to see that it'll be like sniffin blow off the carpet.

Snook

Still Learning
i got the MUDDER jewelry magnifier.. it says 90x but my 100x little sees everything backwards scope certainly does give me a much closer look although it is a PITA to focus. The mudders led light switch is activated by pulling out the magnifiers that are mounted on a slide apparatus and one needs as much dexterity to keep the light on as focus the other little bugger..