What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Why I don't believe in f-cking with the sexuality of cannabis

eastcoastjoe

Again... fems are not necessarily selfed - If a breeder does the work to maintain 2 distinct ibls (and offers them to the public) and then makes a feminised F1 (after stress testing the female pollen donor) with an outstanding female from each line what harm is being done?

That has been my position all along, and I doubt you will find anyone that can prove you wrong otherwise. Quality is quality.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
🦫 Special 🍆
Again... fems are not necessarily selfed - If a breeder does the work to maintain 2 distinct ibls (and offers them to the public) and then makes a feminised F1 (after stress testing the female pollen donor) with an outstanding female from each line what harm is being done?
Usually it works more like clone only x clone only, with cuts considered to be elites

mudballs

Then why are feminized seeds destroying the gene pool? Lol. Still haven’t been able to establish with the gene pool actually is lol
Maybe some think that way...i think ur just applying it to me cuz we went pretty deep into new turf..there's just a possibility of badly selected phenos perpetuating bad stuff within the growers local sphere of influence...be good growers/pollen chuckers chaps

eastcoastjoe

Maybe some think that way...i think ur just applying it to me cuz we went pretty deep into new turf..there's just a possibility of badly selected phenos perpetuating bad stuff within the growers local sphere of influence...be good growers/pollen chuckers chaps

That possibility is equally as high or even higher when using a regular line. What is the difference and where is the detriment?

eastcoastjoe

At this point in time, there is more higher quality cannabis seeds on the market than ever in history. Yet, they are mostly all derived from a parent that was once a hermie accident/feminized seed or S1. So if these selfed plants are such a detriment, how do you explain the rise in quality from using them as parents?

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
🦫 Special 🍆
Those lines will not be planted 2x , except if there is no chance to get other seeds.
And nature will sort it out too with making them more sceptible to diseases, fungus, bacteria, etc..

eastcoastjoe

Those lines will not be planted 2x , except if there is no chance to get other seeds.
And nature will sort it out too with making them more sceptible to diseases, fungus, bacteria, etc..

But you could out cross, and re-shuffle the deck, like we normally would do when using traditional breeding practices.

mudballs

That possibility is equally as high or even higher when using a regular line. What is the difference and where is the detriment?
Again? Really? ..ugh...so joe pollen chucker in Cincinnati buys a 3 pack of malawi femms from ace seeds..grows those out, selfs 1, grows those out but has a casey jones and crosses the 2..but the pheno they picked from the selfed malawi wasn't great, subpar, now we have 200 seeds of C.J. x Malawi a good hearted grower thinks is awesome, trades those on Overgrow...that grower has 4 C.J. x Malawi f1s that are subpar..he's growing em..chatting up a storm on ICmag, ends up crossing those with a [lesser value pheno of unrelated line].all the way back to that selfed plant pheno...we lost the best offerings
That isnt detrimental i dont know what is

eastcoastjoe

In that scenario, it is hard to argue that the detriment came from the selection, not the method in which the seed was made. Why would he select a subpar pheno to make the seeds ? If it wasn’t quality, he could’ve kept looking
Again? Really? ..ugh...so joe pollen chucker in Cincinnati buys a 3 pack of malawi femms..grows those out, selfs 1, grows those out but has a casey jones and crosses the 2..but the pheno they picked from the selfed malawi wasn't great, subpar, now we have 200 seeds of C.J. x Malawi a good hearted grower thinks is awesome, trades those on Overgrow...that grower has 4 C.J. x Malawi f1s that are subpar..he's growing em..chatting up a storm on ICmag, ends up crossing those with a [lesser value pheno of unrelated line].all the way back to that selfed plant pheno...we lost the best offerings

El Timbo

Again? Really? ..ugh...so joe pollen chucker in Cincinnati buys a 3 pack of malawi femms..grows those out, selfs 1, grows those out but has a casey jones and crosses the 2..but the pheno they picked from the selfed malawi wasn't great, subpar, now we have 200 seeds of C.J. x Malawi a good hearted grower thinks is awesome, trades those on Overgrow...that grower has 4 C.J. x Malawi f1s that are subpar..he's growing em..chatting up a storm on ICmag, ends up crossing those with a [lesser value pheno of unrelated line].all the way back to that selfed plant pheno...we lost the best offerings

The same story could be told for regs though right?

mudballs

In that scenario, it is hard to argue that the detriment came from the selection, not the method in which the seed was made. Why would he select a subpar pheno to make the seeds ? If it wasn’t quality, he could’ve kept looking
Cuz he can only grow 4 plants...the grower was not able to find the 18th seed that was better

eastcoastjoe

Yes but it retains the P1 x P2 genes...its not P1S1-P2 massive genetic material...big diff when boiled down to the genetic/chromosome level

But you said yourself that bottlenecking can produce quality. When people make feminized seeds, I’ve never seen people do that with a subpar plant. It’s always done with something special.