What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Wholesale pot prices plummet. Now there starting to get better

frostqueen

1/2 million sq ft grows coming your way real soon. Probably won’t effect price though so carry on

Yep. I did a design a few months ago for a 600,000 sq. foot indoor hemp clone facility. That's about 12 football fields of canopy space. 28,300 Gavitas; peak consumption of 402,000 gallons of water/nutrients per week. Mind-boggling.

CrushnYuba

Depps can be better quality sometimes. This year most Will be. Last year with 110 degree days in a row, most were not.

Frostqueen: this is for cloning? And then those clones will be grown outside? I know hemp for fiber is planted much more dense then ganja, but it seems like there would just have to be a more efficient way of doing this in greenhouses. That much electricity being used for agriculture just doesn't seem right.

I know some people growing hemp and i have been hearing people talking about switching to growing hemp for fiber. Someone was saying 4 acres can generate 500k $. My land isn't flat enough but i would buy flat land in a heartbeat if it turns out It's true and i can legally do it in my area.

gotnoname

Depps can be better quality sometimes. This year most Will be. Last year with 110 degree days in a row, most were not.

Thanks for the input

So far Temps in the greenhouse have been under 100f, we don't get the same sun intensity here in Canada but had a lot of sun so far.. The biggest issue here is bud rot, I've some rot so far but I didn't spread that much thanks to actinovate...

Here some flowers at week 5

Attachments

• IMG_20180721_1852539.jpg
    IMG_20180721_1852539.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20180721_1849020.jpg
    IMG_20180721_1849020.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 23

Mengsk

My last ballpark check had the dispensaries running about 400% of the market rate, give or take. Albeit with a selection and convenience unlike anything before.

The legal issues probably have a lot of people shaken up. I didn't know what to expect from football field sized legal grows. Just about all people are happy to have more cannabis if not everyone, so I couldn't really say anything about larger grows sight unseen other than good job for growing more. If people grow differently that's one thing. When you start to question the efficiency and overall pricing that's best left to the individual in my opinion. As in, bring your pound to the market and people will pay what it's worth. Absolutely no rules or phony closed doors bureaucracy to lower quality or inflate price.

^- to play devil's advocate or after re-reading, ideally, without corruption adding to the cost, some stamp or certification "safe for consumption" or "organic" would be good.

Last edited:

Mengsk

Because so many people in the industry aren't able to or aren't willing to post up a list of all the investors and names friends and relatives and so on, as might happen in the "legal" cannabis idk.

frostqueen

(Sorry for veering off topic, guys!)

Frostqueen: this is for cloning? And then those clones will be grown outside? I know hemp for fiber is planted much more dense then ganja, but it seems like there would just have to be a more efficient way of doing this in greenhouses. That much electricity being used for agriculture just doesn't seem right.

I agree. I was just following orders. Their plan was to provide cuttings to other farms who are using light dep facilities and doing outdoor seasonally. They wanted an uninterrupted supply of clones year round, but in all honestly, they didn't seem to really know what tf they were doing. Like many in this business.

I was told that they wanted to sustainably produce 2 million cuttings every month. That of course would have to include a massive mother plant situation to provide constant branches for clones. That resulted in a 12 acre footprint for the whole thing. And I definitely wouldn't go with Gavitas in such a situation, but rather CMH, which uses less power and has a much better spectrum for vegetative growth. That, and only having to replace bulbs every 4 years would make it much more cost-efficient.

I know some people growing hemp and i have been hearing people talking about switching to growing hemp for fiber. Someone was saying 4 acres can generate 500k $. My land isn't flat enough but i would buy flat land in a heartbeat if it turns out It's true and i can legally do it in my area.

I would also love to do this. There are a huge number of people already getting into this niche market, but the demand for fiber could get huge IMO.

It would require some investment in specialized planting/harvesting equipment, and also would require using either clones or feminized seeds, since pollen drift would be a massive problem for all of the rec farms. But honestly, making a hundred thousand femmed seeds is as easy as making that many m/f seeds. I don't really think clones are very realistic in a big outdoor operation like that, especially when finding a stable hemp cultivar and selfing it for femmed seeds could be easily done. That said, there is now a machine that pops cuttings into the ground at a blurringly fast pace, so maybe I'm wrong there.

Mengsk

The industry probably sees a lot from small farmers to the most tech and legal savvy robot farmed mega-facilities. If you look at some of the closet or small tent led and fluorescent grows here, equally impressive what one person can do at home for him/herself IMO as producing acres top quality year round like every other supermarket chain. Undoubted that each and/or any segment of this industry will push ahead, as in yet cheaper year round pounds of top strain extracts prepackaged and so on. I feel the craft segment has a place, as is is not entirely necessary to ask a third or fourth generation farmer whether they are using the proper pesticide or whatever. That is a lot of time and investment into development and so on to have a big clone farm running year round, and no matter what with any regulation or taxes, which only raise the price if for the people that need that the absolute least, cannabis will pay more than tulips or potatoes or anything else. Some cannabis strains have been cultivated in CA for maybe 50 or 100 years. So the strain is which cultivar, or originates where? Some or most are true hybrids.

Mengsk

To rephrase that, I am floored and really impressed with what is happening here in CA now. It's cool to have these stores to go to and everything. Meanwhile I am still looking forward to enjoying personal strains and maybe share some of the selection or trade. Because having an/any supply such as 0 canna caps is good although for one reason or another it seems to help rotate the strains. I am not sure it will get a whole lot cheaper necessarily because 20% thc does not grow the same as hemp. It is hard work farming, and if some or a lot of it is done by robots and financed then so be it. But it doesn't really bother me, knowing I can grow a couple trees of my own and share them with friends hopefully, the truth is I would not be able to afford near the selection otherwise.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
East coaster watching the fires on the news.

Hope you guys are doing ok. Carr fire looks bad around Redding & Shasta. I guess Roxie and Crestline are getting under control.

Apologies for the off topic, but the gang's all here. I've been following this thread for a long time as a crystal ball for what we can expect here in legal Massachusetts.

Calgrow

I've been following this thread for a long time as a crystal ball for what we can expect here in legal Massachusetts.

This thread has a lot of low level people trying to keep unrealistically high prices going(and failing).

You should also look at Oregon and Colorado as a future price gauge they have been legal longer and are ahead of California in the game.

Oregon and Colorado $300-$600 units indoor , Outdoor $0.

CrushnYuba

So i know it could be seen of topic, but kind of on.
With the market change, what are you seeing trimmers getting paid?
With units going for 500$, you can't really pay a trimmer 150$. I have been seeing some people only paying 100$.

Calgrow

With units going for 500$, you can't really pay a trimmer 150$. I have been seeing some people only paying 100$.

I have been seeing $100. a unit or $10-$15 an hour.

Many people like to target younger guys who think it is glamorous to be surrounded by piles of weed. They will let them get stoned all day, let them take some home and get them to work for $10. an hour or $100. a unit. I've seen people offer $60-$80 a unit with no takers, people would probably walk off at that price.

Labor is one thing I will pay for I would never pay less then $150. a unit of $15. an hour.

We live in a rat race and many people do not care about fellow humans. Same people I see trying to get the most for units are usually paying the least for trimmers Greed.

CrushnYuba

I think If they are nice tops and trimmers are doing a lb in less then 4 hrs, that's over 25 an hour. I think it's fair. They kind of get paid for their skill level like the real job world.

What about touch up for machine trimmed stuff?

Calgrow

I think If they are nice tops and trimmers are doing a lb in less then 4 hrs, that's over 25 an hour. I think it's fair. They kind of get paid for their skill level like the real job world.

What about touch up for machine trimmed stuff?
I always been lax about trimming labor I usually hired stay at home moms and considered 1lb in 6-8hr ok. Take a 10min break every hour. I always hired neighbors and friends so I was very generous. A decade ago you could pay people in weed now days everyone already has a cupboard full they cannot sell.

Some strains are a lot easier then others to trim. so it is hard to put a lb rate on it sometimes.

Now that cannabis has dropped in price so much, it will be like most agriculture in that labor is a large percentage of the cost and people get tight on how much they pay. Most people are going to trimming machines and $10-$15an hour to run them and do touch up.

Makes me wonder how much a person and a machine can process in a day ?

N

naturalbornkilr

This thread has a lot of low level people trying to keep unrealistically high prices going(and failing).

You should also look at Oregon and Colorado as a future price gauge they have been legal longer and are ahead of California in the game.

This is hilarious, what are you even talking about?? Not even a 1000 light grow can produce indoor at 300/lb, electricity alone is more than that. Dispensaries in Portland are paying $1/gram for year old outdoor right now currently, and truly unique top shelf indoors for up to 2500/lb. Thats facts from a widely respected dispensary owner with 20 years in the game. In california dispensaries are paying 2200-3600 for excellent indoor, there is a massive shortage of tested regulated product.

As far as black market goes, its dry af out there, hardly anyone growing, fresh deps for 1200, nobody growing ins.

Calgrow has a distorted view on many topics, disregard his jibberish.

$100 a lb unless it's smalls. $50 lb for machine touch-up.

Legal Deps $7-1200.

HHILL

This thread has a lot of low level people trying to keep unrealistically high prices going(and failing.

I heard that farmers up in those states are paying you to take their outdoor units, like $50 per pound. Less expensive than the cost to destroy it... therefore outdoor is $-50....

In all seriousness, this is a California wholesale thread. Leave it there. People are looking for outdoor in the $400-500 range in the bay, but no one willing to go that low. Seems like $800-900 is average around here for last years well stored quality outs.