What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Wholesale pot prices plummet. Now there starting to get better

theJointedOne

Veteran
In Canada right now 1300 for aaa indoor wholesale og and bubba ( we don’t have hyped up strains )
1200 for blue dream and it’s doesn’t even move that fast it will get worst in July when they legalize....

I wish, but my eyes don't lie driving through Southern Colorado and watching greenhouses surrounded by barbed wire fences going up like mushrooms right next to the highway. Like nanners, if you can see a few, there are many more, exponentially so.
Passion's alive in my grow room, but no bucks in the picture.

I live in Florida 6 months ago i could of sold a bag of dog shit for 2k now im hoping to get 15 for good not the greatest but GOOD weed. N it moves slow like i have to force feed people to take it.

this is a california thread, thanks

soil margin

Veteran
Maybe these massive cancerous wharehouse growers will start to cave due to overhead and we can get back to what reefer is really about, passion....

Yup. Passion is what produces the creativity, which is what makes cannabis keep getting better and better with time.

The massive growers only passion is money and their route to more money is growing more shitty cannabis rather than ingenuity, innovation, and beauty.

At the same time though, just because the big guys flood the market with their mediocre wares doesn't mean we need to stop striving and pursuing the passion. I wanna make sure the elite bud is always readily available so that people can see the difference and learn the importance of it.

soil margin

Veteran
Only so many ways you can differentiate your product from the rest of the pack. Big ops are taking over. Were all going to not be growing for profit (if you are now) very much longer. Its a gradual thing though. Every year prices fall.

I agree with some of what you're saying here but I think you also might have made a few mistakes in your assumptions. Prices are dropping steadily (rapidly even in some places) because legal production is increasing much much faster than legal consumption. Everyone is falling over themselves to make money in the new market, whereas people who didn't consume cannabis in the past because it was illegal, aren't jumping into the new market and becoming heavy consumers quite as fast.

Consumption is increasing slowly. Once it catches up, (which it will when high population states like NY and TX legalize) I see the price of high quality indoor being pretty decent. Hopefully high enough for small growers to earn a modest living.

Producing elite bud is not that easy and it's not going to magically become easy just because it's legal. The price of low and mid grade is most certainly going to fall through the floor though in my estimation.

Rondon

Yup. Passion is what produces the creativity, which is what makes cannabis keep getting better and better with time.

The massive growers only passion is money and their route to more money is growing more shitty cannabis rather than ingenuity, innovation, and beauty.

At the same time though, just because the big guys flood the market with their mediocre wares doesn't mean we need to stop striving and pursuing the passion. I wanna make sure the elite bud is always readily available so that people can see the difference and learn the importance of it.
Do massive growers really grow "shitty" cannabis? Quality is subjective especailly on a forum but even the big operators have a product that is much better than the brick Mexi from decades ago and pre medical mj days. And how much ingenuity and innovation is there realistically from this simple common c3 dioecious annual weed plant? Your looking way too much into this whole thing. I understand your passion is genuine but it isnt anything very esoteric nor is it a magical plant. Its properties are just being seriously looked into..and studied just for the fact it was a prohibited plant for a very long time. Any decent green thumb after some time ( and consistent crops day in and day out - constantly upgrading and paying attention to the little things) that starts with a quality cultivar (which there are thousands of in name) and pays attention to "the rules" and stays on top of it...will and most often does produce "elite bud". Lol. Either that or there is some real boo boo in your neck of the woods to judge your fine grade against.

Last edited:

Rondon

The average joe smoker (iam in the midwest and this is by far the majority of consumers rather than the cork sniffers) doesnt really pay all that much attention to your super duper fine grades..especially if it has a super duper price tag to go along with it. Not saying they accepet boo boo but if its decent...tastes and smells like it should..gives them the effect they want at a very cheap price...thats what they are gonna take..almost all the time.

Rondon

Its like the guitarist in a band that plays an Epiphone Les Paul as compared to a real deal Gibson Les Paul electric guitar. The audience isnt gonna pay attention to that. They arent going to hear the difference. And quite frankly doesnt care. The only ones that it matters to maybe is the guitarist themself or other musicians in the crowd or band.

Last edited:

frostqueen

Quality is subjective especailly on a forum but even the big operators have a product that is much better than the brick Mexi from decades ago and pre medical mj days.

As a top shelf grower and breeder who was formerly optimistic about seeing a continuing demand, this is something that I failed to anticipate: that the vast majority of smokers now would rather pay a low/standard price for mid-grade commersh flowers in a club (potency, but no real flavor or smell) than pay the same price to me 'privately' for premium top shelf with consistent quality.

I see it as similar to the early days of microbrew; the vast majority of consumers were pretty much fine with budweiser-quality beer, and it took quite a long time for higher quality micros to catch on and really be sought out. Now micros are booming.

That said, it could be years before the top-shelf cannabis demand starts to be there again. All of us on here may demand it for ourselves, but most consumers lately apparently will just grab whatever is cheapest but still potent. By the time premium quality becomes popular most of us will have moved on to new careers.

soil margin

Veteran
That said, it could be years before the top-shelf cannabis demand starts to be there again. All of us on here may demand it for ourselves, but most consumers lately apparently will just grab whatever is cheapest but still potent. By the time premium quality becomes popular most of us will have moved on to new careers.

With no intervention it might be years before the demand for elite stuff starts to be there again, but you don't have to wait for the natural growth of that demand either. You can write books, blogs, do marketing, advertising, social media, youtube videos, etc. and speed up the educational process. As people learn more and more about the benefits of the good stuff through those channels, the demand can increase much faster than it normally would.

'Boogieman'

The average joe smoker (iam in the midwest and this is by far the majority of consumers rather than the cork sniffers) doesnt really pay all that much attention to your super duper fine grades..especially if it has a super duper price tag to go along with it. Not saying they accepet boo boo but if its decent...tastes and smells like it should..gives them the effect they want at a very cheap price...thats what they are gonna take..almost all the time.

Im from the midwest and I agree but yet disagree. Personally im sick of hyped strains smoking no better than mids, and all the commercial weed delivers the same lame buzz. Im from Indiana and we get all types from all over, but im getting to the point i want something different or i want to quit. I wish good pure sativas were good for comercial production.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Do massive growers really grow "shitty" cannabis? Quality is subjective especailly on a forum but even the big operators have a product that is much better than the brick Mexi from decades ago and pre medical mj days. And how much ingenuity and innovation is there realistically from this simple common c3 dioecious annual weed plant? Your looking way too much into this whole thing. I understand your passion is genuine but it isnt anything very esoteric nor is it a magical plant. Its properties are just being seriously looked into..and studied just for the fact it was a prohibited plant for a very long time. Any decent green thumb after some time ( and consistent crops day in and day out - constantly upgrading and paying attention to the little things) that starts with a quality cultivar (which there are thousands of in name) and pays attention to "the rules" and stays on top of it...will and most often does produce "elite bud". Lol. Either that or there is some real boo boo in your neck of the woods to judge your fine grade against.

Yes. Most large scale grows produce absolute crap! Not subjective at all in most cases.

theJointedOne

Veteran
Yes. Most large scale grows produce absolute crap! Not subjective at all in most cases.

actually the overall quality of large scale farms in northern california has increased, if only to stay competitive in a saturated market.

A good friend did 2500lb this year and i saw most of it, its all hand trimmed, properly tended and grown high grade organic outdoor, all name brand cultivars. Not sure why people assume that all quality is decreased as scales increase. Some im sure but not all,

Rondon

Im from the midwest and I agree but yet disagree. Personally im sick of hyped strains smoking no better than mids, and all the commercial weed delivers the same lame buzz. Im from Indiana and we get all types from all over, but im getting to the point i want something different or i want to quit. I wish good pure sativas were good for comercial production.

They can be..in places close to the equator. Which opens another whole chapter with the onslaught of legalization. Iam telling everyone that thinks they got the best of the best..especially the California growers who live in a bubble...its time to face the reality.

Rondon

actually the overall quality of large scale farms in northern california has increased, if only to stay competitive in a saturated market.

A good friend did 2500lb this year and i saw most of it, its all hand trimmed, properly tended and grown high grade organic outdoor, all name brand cultivars. Not sure why people assume that all quality is decreased as scales increase. Some im sure but not all,

For the most part its not. Its mostly bowshit perpetuated by smaller growers..indoors and out who are sick of getting beat down and business wise by economies of scale. With leagalization and the progression towards it...the little bubble is bursting. Its not exclusive anymore...and long time growers arw feeling it (and have been steadily for a few years now) in their bottom line. What did you all think was gonna happen with legalization?

Rondon

For the most part its not. Its mostly bowshit perpetuated by smaller growers..indoors and out who are sick of getting beat down business wise by economies of scale. With legalization and the progression towards it...that little bubble is bursting. Its not exclusive anymore...and long time growers are feeling it (and have been steadily for a few years now) in their bottom line. What did you all think was gonna happen with legalization?

soil margin

Veteran
Not sure why people assume that all quality is decreased as scales increase. Some im sure but not all,

I would say all. Growing quality cannabis is about managing both your plants and your environment. Both of those things take time, and as scale increases, the difficulty of doing both those things increases. If you're walking around your grow for an hour every day looking at plants, then you double the number of plants, you're now paying half as much attention to each plant on average.

As the environment needed to contain the plants gets bigger, you aren't going to be able to manage the environment as accurately or effectively. Without robotic automation and unlimited resources quality is always doing to decrease in bigger grows. Even if those growers are the most experienced/best on the planet.

mushroombrew

Veteran

The industry in my area considers Outdoor lower quality. So that 2500 contributes to "mids"

Top shelf comes from indoor and Supplemental Greenhouses.

Pulling off 2500lbs of Top shelf is drastically harder than most think.

Not saying your friends quality is bad. Just that it doesn't rank here.

Rondon

Does anyone know the ball park overhead cost reduction with a detailed a nd supplemented large green house facility compared to an equally large (sq.ft) total artificial light warehouse operation? Iam sure the supplemented/light dep hydroponic greenhouses are alot cheaper but what dollar amount per pound I have no idea. Ive heard of warehouse/artificial light ops going as low as 200/250 $ per pound??? Assuming double ended 1000 watt p.l. and/or Gavita fixtures. And even less with the latest and highly efficient (but $$$ to buy in) cob and board LED's.

Latest posts

Latest posts