What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Wholesale pot prices plummet. Now there starting to get better

soil margin

Veteran
Looks like a pretty fair analysis to me. Growing good weed is not that difficult, probably about as difficult as growing tobacco. Prices got to drop.

Growing good weed is not that difficult. Growing amazing weed is though. I think the market is gonna vary a lot based on how fast the average consumer becomes educated and how fast the average consumer starts demanding a high quality product. If everyone wants to start smoking high times cannabis cup looking nugs now that it's legal, and indoor growers don't rapidly ramp up production, prices might stay high for awhile.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Growing good weed is not that difficult. Growing amazing weed is though. I think the market is gonna vary a lot based on how fast the average consumer becomes educated and how fast the average consumer starts demanding a high quality product. If everyone wants to start smoking high times cannabis cup looking nugs now that it's legal, and indoor growers don't rapidly ramp up production, prices might stay high for awhile.
Oh gawd! Don't make me smoke a HT bud!
:laughing:

DonDon

90% dont care. just like 90% of beer drinkers are fine drinking bud light or whatever other watered down beer of their choice.

i agree there will always be a market for elite smoke. you dont have to worry about the masses only wanting A+ cookies og gelato whatever.. it just wont happen

Ive tried to "educate " some close friends for years who smoke a TON of weed. They just dont care its just weed to them as long as they get baked they are good

your (our) circles are much different than joe blow from anywhere usa

CanniDo Cowboy

Veteran
Actually, the article is pretty much on point. Thanks DD. These days, one cannot argue the new battle cry - 'Adapt or die". For those who hold out in disbelief or stubborness, it might well become their business epitath.

That said, think about it. When computers first hit the market, they were only affordable to the upper-crust because they were very expensive. You can go back even further to the color tv. Only the well-doers could afford them because they were spendy also. These new and inventive products had one thing in common . When first made, the manufacturing process was in it's infancy. The process was slower, inefficient and costly which translated into higher retail costs. Once the manufacturing was streamlined, prices dropped. We as consumers see this industrial characteristic all the time with new products. The other thing that helps stablize the end price is - competition. Always has, always will. It's the age old "better and cheaper mousetrap" thing. Healthy competition can be a consumers best friend.

Well, folks, look around you. Colorado alone has revolutionaized the weed growing game. Warehouse lighting, double shlef shelving/growing, app controlled nute control, state of the art heating & air apps etc. Not to mention the oils game has exploded with edibles, extracts etc with new devices hitting the market every day. And competition..

Thru all this, just like the color tv and computers, the weed industry is becoming so efficient with cutting edge technology and a green rush fed, frenzy atmosphere that the cheapest part of the revolution is becoming- wait for it...the weed...cc

Last edited:

Wendull C.

Veteran
Just a comment on connoisseur buds, my best friends can always get the cup winning weed from me, at 150 a zip. Or free if need be... Long story short take my best friend from high school( I'm getting up there) a free zip of my regionally famous og and what are he and my other bro smoking? Fucking cartridge crap with added terpenes.

Here are two guys that have more grower friends than fingers smoking that crap because it's convenient and they can get away doing it while land surveying.

Some will always want fine nug like me, but most just want to get high without their kids smelling an og joint on em.

oldchuck

Veteran

Yeah, prices will probably stay high for a few, maybe very few years, but consider this. High quality, organic tobacco leaves can be had for about $20 a pound. The crap that they grind for commercial cigarettes comes cheaper. Primo bud would probably cost a bit more but the market would be limited.

packerfan79

Veteran
With the taxes I don't see prices dropping to much. I don't frequent medical shops but I would assume top shelf would be 40-50 an 8th. Mind you there are no taxes on medical yet. I think 40 an 8th is about what consumers will be paying for recreational once things get rolling. I don't see the black market going anywhere. I think the new smokers who don't know anyone and tourist will be the vast majority of the recreational market. Mostly because they don't know the difference between mass produced garbage commercial, and truely great cannabis. The commercial operations will probably not be growing elite strains for several reasons 1. Most elite strains have a problem with herming 2.lower yeild = lower profits, stockholders want return on investment. 3. Elite strains tend to take more time to dial in.

Check Colorado if you think you're gonna continue getting 40 an 8th. 35 for the best right now in CO. It's only gonna fall IMO unfortunately. Luckily, electric is much cheaper here. I don't think good indoor will go less than 800 a pound when mass produced by 500 lighters. Still plenty of profit margin in that. Most indoor will move to light dep greenhouses which will cut electric bills by 75%.

Aota1

The cartridge comment is on point. I recently got in some pretty expensive gram cartridges of 81% distillate with durban terps added back in. This is the most expensive cartridge I've ever sold in the shop at $72 after tax. I didn't order the case but when the case came with some edibles and dabbables i took it with the agreement that i could sub them oit if not selling. We have 2 left after a week. Our cartridge buyer is a demographic of its own seemingly. Lots of soccer mom types and folks with families, careers, and busy lives. Oh and money. They care much less about high grade flower (not all but the niche cartridge consumer) or dabbing. They also tend towards edibles. The edible customer can be a niche demographic as well. Different preferences and needs

Ya but consumers are getting what dispensarys are buying

Which round here is mostly garbage

If you want healthy and competition to go together you need to rework your angle because consumers have been getting fucked for a while now

This is a Cali thread btw

Aota1

Ya but consumers are getting what dispensarys are buying

Which round here is mostly garbage

If you want healthy and competition to go together you need to rework your angle because consumers have been getting fucked for a while now

This is a Cali thread btw
I know this. Shops aren't all the same and I whole heartedly agree that customers in a lot of situations aren't getting the best. We eliminated lower quality herb and extracts and now customers wanting quantity over quality go down the street to a shop that serves as the walmart if weed and has many licenses and stores throughout the state. It's a matter of choice and knowledge. I'm transparent with the customers and completely honest about the products and the pricing. I don't know if that's standard because i came to retail herb less than 2 years ago from the growing side. I know my customers appreciate it and come back. I stock mostly triple a grade herb imo. A little bit of od, dep, and gh of great quality for a little lower price. Each shop has the capacity to run as mutually beneficial an operation as possible. It's a strange evolution happening but at least it's forward. I'll go back to the oregon thread now. I mean no disrespect

packerfan79

Veteran
Check Colorado if you think you're gonna continue getting 40 an 8th. 35 for the best right now in CO. It's only gonna fall IMO unfortunately. Luckily, electric is much cheaper here. I don't think good indoor will go less than 800 a pound when mass produced by 500 lighters. Still plenty of profit margin in that. Most indoor will move to light dep greenhouses which will cut electric bills by 75%.

Nate I have family in Dever paying 40 an 8th. They buy my weed to take home because they know they can't get comparable weed out there. Yeah they may have dirt cheap weed but the quality is not there. I take weed with me when I go to Colorado, and I am not the only one. Not trying to cut down the growers in Colorado, just saying 500 light warehouses can't produce comperable product to a grower who spends time caring for the plants.

ubi

na na na you aint seen nothing yet!!
Colorado home of the 1k lite warehouse of 1k's

when you see indoor htcc cup quality, be produced at an overhead of $300 to 500 a #, and then being sold at no more than 100- 160 a zip. yea the market is for sure dropping.

just on a crazy note, there was an ig email being passed around. that had legit rec GH #'s for 150-500. Believe that!!! or not. Have seen ads in denver westword, for rec. dispos sell zips of name brand live resin OTDw/tax 800. and shatter zips for 400 all day. Its definitely dropping.

also, the state has promised this year is the year of shutting down the Black market ( which is @ primo indo/gh organic/living soil num nums, whatever, its amazing only commands 1600 to 2k@most!!), with no more 99count increased medical scripts. B/c the medical board has scared so many docs with "you dont know how many plants for a particular ailment," for example, "severe back pain/muscle spasms was 99 now 25, Epilepsy was 99 now 48 if your lucky...... so, finding a doctor to write a deserving epileptic or injured lifetime laborer a shot in the dark. w/ that being said.
Paves the way for more retail where the TAX is. Hell our own Governor Said, " medical is no more than Tax Evasion". Ridiculous:moon: Win for REC. Once the Blackmarket is Gone, Price Goes UP. Along with, market consolidation, the rate of acquisition in 2016 was estimated at 33%. Especially when 3 companies hold over 25% of the MED and REC
Number of Licensed Medical Marijuana license as of January 1, 2017
Centers 526
Cultivations 751
Infused Product Manufacturers 247
Number of Licensed Retail Marijuana Businesses as of
January 1, 2017
Stores 440
Cultivations 623
Product Manufacturers 240
(keep in mind the majority of the store/cult/infused licenses can be in the same storefront, depending on county code or laws)