What's new

Wholesale pot prices plummet. Now there starting to get better

maxmurder

Veteran
i agree- nutrients, electricity, trimmers, equipment, fuel, helpers, rolls of seal a meal, etc all cost the same as 4 years ago, clubs still make close to the same profit- while the dirtbag lowballin middlemen makes 4 bucks off your pound and farmers took a 50% cut in profit.
that's why i have no problem with letting my small amount of dep go out as indoor.
i understand farmers need to pay bills but fuck if everybody could just say no maybe we could get prices up and keep em up and not let middlemen dictate prices- in my opinion we work our asses off for months to make a pound and these guys have to drive shit for 8 hours.

nice og/diesel deps still 2, bd and gc 18 where i live.

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
I am not mad and I don't think you are a bad guy Zion. I just know that the security is going to become a bigger issue as businesses grow in a legal grey market.

Marijuana is still very very illegal in a lot of places west of California.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
god damn feeding frenzy on the hill for the early units…having to turn down people left and right, bidding wars breaking out between my workers and friends over shit. had some OGs and other kush varieties ready that we pulled tarp late july on, brought them to market at 18. by end of the night they were flying at 2, then got a call an hour later from another friend saying to buy them all back and sell to him at 21. i didn't do it but still shows how desperate some of the out of state broker guys are for units because they can get easy 3s back east.

wish i had everything ready by now lol….most of my garden is still on the vine and I'm really wondering where full seasons are gonna settle at by halloween.

ponolove

Saw a broker yesterday that had just paid 2100 for a large order of dep from norcal, shit was on point though mostly name brand and some sherbet that was rediculous. He's saying 18 and 19 for full season on Halloween.

furrywall11

NICE!

I dunno, I guess I have a sadistic side but there are so many brokers out there right now that when I tell them yeah 17, right now for some GSC crosses and they go Ohhhh, Well *I* never pay that much.... Buuut, I might have a friend that would do something like that... I just can't wait to see see their whole world flipped on it's head this year!!

Wondering if anybody else had an idea of prices on wax/shatter and crumble/budder and blonde shatter?

Seen really dope wax/crumble/budder beautiful colors at 5500 a unit
black shatter/taffy 4500

CanniDo Cowboy

Veteran
god damn feeding frenzy on the hill for the early units…having to turn down people left and right, bidding wars breaking out between my workers and friends over shit. had some OGs and other kush varieties ready that we pulled tarp late july on, brought them to market at 18. by end of the night they were flying at 2, then got a call an hour later from another friend saying to buy them all back and sell to him at 21. i didn't do it but still shows how desperate some of the out of state broker guys are for units because they can get easy 3s back east.

wish i had everything ready by now lol….most of my garden is still on the vine and I'm really wondering where full seasons are gonna settle at by halloween.

Good info props - It is interesting this year isnt it? Folks are surmising that perhaps the drought, so many fires, along with the Ban wagon counties are all contributing to a higher priced market this year. Ya know, the Ban Wagon counties deal, although def a bad thing, could actually have a bit of a silver lining? For the farmers in our game, sometimes shortage is everything, whether it be Mother Nature caused or by local county idiots still holding on to the reefer madness dream...

On another note, we are now entering into the part of the season where light dep begins to overlap into full term harvest. That brief period of time where buyers begin to use the ploy: "How much for the light dep? Ouch! No thanks, I'll just wait for the outdoor - its right around the corner..." If the light dep doesnt get moved before the first quality - and I say quality - outdoor hits the market, unfortunately the light dep generally gets rolled into outdoor pricing...Talk about a somewhat short shelf life...cc

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
^yea all the more important to harvest the last light dep crops by early september….started pulling tarp in late july and mine are very close to the full seasons just managed to sneak them off.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
i agree- nutrients, electricity, trimmers, equipment, fuel, helpers, rolls of seal a meal, etc all cost the same as 4 years ago, clubs still make close to the same profit- while the dirtbag lowballin middlemen makes 4 bucks off your pound and farmers took a 50% cut in profit.
that's why i have no problem with letting my small amount of dep go out as indoor.
i understand farmers need to pay bills but fuck if everybody could just say no maybe we could get prices up and keep em up and not let middlemen dictate prices- in my opinion we work our asses off for months to make a pound and these guys have to drive shit for 8 hours.

nice og/diesel deps still 2, bd and gc 18 where i live.
in all fairness, weed profits have never been tied to labor. we dont work for our money, we risk for it, as do middlemen who drive through very inhospitable zones for the pay. we grow in increasingly very hospitable zones with relative safety from prison. if it were as dangerous as it were in the nineties wed get 5000 a pound because it would be hard to get.
it aint.
if you need more dough, grow more weed. if your swinging cahoneys across the country you need to get paid. people getting the worst penalties are going to be in highest demand and will get a higher risk pay day.
lets face it, you dont want to get paid for the work you do as a farmer. 12 hour a day farmer pay is a fraction of weed grower pay. i know farmers who dont grow weed. they would puke if they saw what you and i call a hard week of work. our over head to profit is crazy low and our hourly input per dollar is insane compared to a small farmer who hires himself as part of his work crew. we get paid as unrestricted grey/ black market dealers who happen to grow it. we are very seldomly convicted or do time when popped in the west compared to drivers dealers out east.
id rather learn efficiency and get the same pay now as i got 10 years ago for a third of the weight and be almost entirely free from the risk of gettting charged and sentenced than to roll the dice transporting and selling dozens of pounds at a time on the east coast all earned with your own money paying out 2000 for every 1000 earned. losing a shipment is a real huge financial risk considering that you could only earn 50k from risking 100k . if it would be like if it cost us 150,000 to earn the equivelant of 30 pounds worth of net profit.
thatd be like getting into 6 figures to make the same net profit one might make off 5-10 outdoor plants. if you think they are getting paid too much compared to you im curious what you think it should pay. they get stuck with unforeseen shitty pounds occasionally they have to figure out how to dump, lost packs etc tehy have to make more than they need to make to make it worth it if you consifder lost wages too missed mold, seeds, theft in post etc.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
plus they have to deal with whiney overpaid rich californians who forgot what having a real job is like or to face a much greater significant risk of incarceration or financial ruin.im a grower from humboldt and oregon saying this. i get it, the price is going down and it stings. but we were so grossly overpaid compared to brokers before and now its turning around as the risk does too. plus if you learn to use cheaper raw inputs and grow at scale like real farmers and manage real sized crews youll make more. you used to be able to pull it off almost alone except planting and harvest work

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
Prices are definitely not going down ...neither is demand
i don't know your timeline or how long youve been in the game but prices are going down. you are correct if you have a very short term view but if youve been watching the market since 1996 the trend is definitely downward. if you look at the prices in the last five years three years etc you still see a downward trend.
this year has seen an unprecedented spread in the high low this season. and its high is higher than last years but the low will be similar and if you fast forward a short amount of time i guarantee we will see unprecedented floors for pound prices. there will be gold rush bubbles that cause an artificial scarcity for little moments as some legal states catch up. but the trend will be down. the floor will make heads spin in two three years.
and no demand is not going down. you are correct, quite the opposite. its an expanding market to say the least. but it is going down in relation to production. and it will be met with eager production minded companies seeking to anticipate the increase. they will catch up. these are people whove done this with every industry from micro chips to potato chips. this will continue to be a bubble of increased demand til it pops. and it will. these bubbles pop. they always look promising as they inexplicably expand faster than what people can understand. supply will catch up with demand. why wouldnt it.

In LA 21-26 is average for indoor. If its connoisseur 27-31 if you go to the boutique places.

try unloading packs the size it would take to sustain a commercial grower. when you add 1-2 hours of doorknocking or deals at 5 pounds max and 1-2 hours of chit chatting, and collecting and driving around at the rate of pay you earn in your garden and especially if you calculate potential tax liability, youll have to agree that its actually not a higher price than dropping 50 at 17-22 type deal.

theJointedOne

Veteran
My post was too simple, I should have said;

"prices aren't going down for high grade outs as of right now. Also next year alone 16 million new cannabis users will enter the market (according to a report I read online), hopefully a lot of what they smoke is norcal outdoor."

Better?

And yea I've been around, and down, and back up again.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
My post was too simple, I should have said;

"prices aren't going down for high grade outs as of right now. Also next year alone 16 million new cannabis users will enter the market (according to a report I read online), hopefully a lot of what they smoke is norcal outdoor."

Better?

And yea I've been around, and down, and back up again.

agreed. yeah i didnt actually think you were very young or new at it. i was just pointing out the timeline. i just see alot of folks not expanding their knowledge or production and complaining about prices.

HL45

Veteran
12 for prema ture outdoor. 14 for decent stuff not fire though.. 20 to 24 for nice indoor in my saturated community.

MZC. I'm not mad or defensive. I just am saying that you can't afford to grow that much and sell it at 300 a pound, which you said you could. I'm glad to see that your crunching numbers and thinking ahead. Most people don't have that foresight.

I did a similar numbers game about 6 years ago...I was wondering how low it could drop before I had to work for someone else again... In my one warehouse with current kwh prices including rent and all grow expenses, I could grow 10# a month trimy it all myself and my rock bottom was 500 a pound. If it dropped lower I would have to go back to swinging hammers or something... My life has changed much since then as I now have a family to feed and my overhead is much higher..

DonDon

in all fairness, weed profits have never been tied to labor. we dont work for our money, we risk for it, as do middlemen who drive through very inhospitable zones for the pay. we grow in increasingly very hospitable zones with relative safety from prison. if it were as dangerous as it were in the nineties wed get 5000 a pound because it would be hard to get.
it aint.
if you need more dough, grow more weed. if your swinging cahoneys across the country you need to get paid. people getting the worst penalties are going to be in highest demand and will get a higher risk pay day.
lets face it, you dont want to get paid for the work you do as a farmer. 12 hour a day farmer pay is a fraction of weed grower pay. i know farmers who dont grow weed. they would puke if they saw what you and i call a hard week of work. our over head to profit is crazy low and our hourly input per dollar is insane compared to a small farmer who hires himself as part of his work crew. we get paid as unrestricted grey/ black market dealers who happen to grow it. we are very seldomly convicted or do time when popped in the west compared to drivers dealers out east.
id rather learn efficiency and get the same pay now as i got 10 years ago for a third of the weight and be almost entirely free from the risk of gettting charged and sentenced than to roll the dice transporting and selling dozens of pounds at a time on the east coast all earned with your own money paying out 2000 for every 1000 earned. losing a shipment is a real huge financial risk considering that you could only earn 50k from risking 100k . if it would be like if it cost us 150,000 to earn the equivelant of 30 pounds worth of net profit.
thatd be like getting into 6 figures to make the same net profit one might make off 5-10 outdoor plants. if you think they are getting paid too much compared to you im curious what you think it should pay. they get stuck with unforeseen shitty pounds occasionally they have to figure out how to dump, lost packs etc tehy have to make more than they need to make to make it worth it if you consifder lost wages too missed mold, seeds, theft in post etc.

Damn homie just broke it down in the broker/middleman perspective. If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack... some very valid points made. Just saying, a lot of brokers middle guys could find many other ways to make scratch on the side... the grower fronts like they dont need/want this.

All this constant broker is robbing us blah blah... I would love to see these growers out there selling quarter zips and ounces..in ur own state/region... see how much bs you deal with to get your $.

Respect all sides and aspects to the business. . Inclusing the guy who sells grams all day because in the end without him no one gets paid

DonDon

I think the growers think in terms of actual sweat/tears/labor and brokers/middles are more like ok but what about the risk? Brokers come with the cash, hope all goes well, drive it, distribute/break down. Hope to not get robbed which is more frequent at the 1lb and lower level.. taking this risk to make 20-25% margins or 3-6 pts per lb compared the the grower making ???? Per lb. More than 3-6 pts

HL45

Veteran
I totally understand the brokers risk. The grower is risking their life also thoigh and for a longer period of time, the whole season. My bro was supposed to work on a farm last year and the grower was found shot in the head at his property entire crop stolen.. another friend was shot in LA years back from shady brokers, cops ended up busting them...both were good guys with no gang ties.

Growers put up an initial investment waiting much longer for return where as brokers have the clients already.

A lot of growers lost it all this year because of fires and code enforcement. I've never seen it this dry in general...I know that some growers need to pay for trimmers etc and there will be a flood, but I'm expecting an upward trend in price change to continue.
A broker wouldn't got get huge packs if they didn't have a place to move it. Some brokers are making much more than a 50% return also. I do agree with str8edge though.

Personally I have had my crop creeped on in the middle of the night. When your out in the middle of nowhere alone with a couple dogs and a Mossberg and you see headlights facing your crop with three different people creeping through the woods from different sides it feels like a bigger risk than the guy getting it from point a to point b..