What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary White Rhino & Friends. Fall 2021 Grow.

PCBuds

... MMJ3 is HUGE, and was slow to even start flowering, so will be culled, ...

My My Juana plant is HUGE too, and she's kinda tardid as well, but I'm not going to Cull her !!

I think you're an Evil Culler !?!
LOL 😁...

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

aliceklar

My My Juana plant is HUGE too, and she's kinda tardid as well, but I'm not going to Cull her !!

I think you're an Evil Culler !?!
LOL 😁...

heh 😈. Yeah, I am a bit harsh sometimes, but we are taking v different approaches, PC - you are Popping one quality seed at a time, and growing a single huge plant, I am popping dozens of my own dubious crosses and growing loads of tiny plants. The moment a plant hints it might not be what I am looking for, it goes to feed the healthy population of worms in my compost bins, and gets replaced by one of many I have waiting on the bench... (the worms seem to love it - wonder if they get high... 🤣). Survival of the fittest, innit?!

PCBuds

I'm really wasted right now.
I'll try to shut up... lol

I'm feeling guilty abouts killing lady bugs...

20211204_190231.jpg

aliceklar

Better picture of the tie:
20220106_193251_6.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	20220106_193251_6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.2 KB ID:	18034382

Still lots of yellow in veg... hmmm.... have to keep reminding myself that it can take a while for changes to work through. Continuing to give 2ml @ canna A+B in 70/30 rain/tap mix, with 100ppm added from epsom salts. Checked runoff today. Just over 1000ppm, and pH7.2. Hmmm again. both seem high.
20220106_193911_3.jpg

aliceklar

Removed the last of the AKxMMWR seed plants from flower.
Did a couple of bend and ties on the BSGxJohaar to keep it off the light. Severe shibari is essential when growing Johaar or its crosses indoors. Will be selecting for plants with shorter internodal distance.
Moved the F1 Sherbet Queen x Afghaan #1 into flower (with scions of SQA#2, BSGA#2, BSGA#3, and Medical Mass)

So currently in flower I've got the SQA1 (plus scions), the C6, F2 MMxWR#5 and #3, F1 MMxJohaar #1 and #2, the F1 BSGxJ, the F1 BSGxA#2, and a Purple Bud. Its will be a squeeze. Looking forward to getting some new bud. Stash is down to the last dregs (and mostly of my least favourite smokes, tho I have a very little Johaar, bagseed gelato, and buddah left) so I've decided to clear my head for a while.

pH meter is going crazy. Sigh. Have been keeping the bulb wet, cap on, etc, so dont think I've broken it, but may have just used it to the point where it needs a break. Have ordered some calibration buffer solution. Thankfully I'd just about got the initial mix down so I can wing it for a week or so.

Last edited:

aliceklar

Did some pruning and topping in veg. Took opportunity to take cuts of the F2 Medical Mass x White Rhino #1, #2 & #4, and Blueberry #7, and put in a jar of water in flower.

Need to slow everything down in veg for a while as flower will be full for ages. With the recent cold spell, overall temps have dropped from av of 25c to 22c, although I havent let them fall below 20c. If I raise the lights a bit/lower the intensity, will it check the growth, or just encourage stretch? Hmm. Currently 40-50cm off canopy and dialed down to 60%.

F2 MMxWR#5 (the runty one, in flower since 21st Dec) is now starting to bud. F2 MMxWR#3 (the chunkiest) is still undeclared, but has only been in flower about a week.

MMxJohaar #1 and #2 have been disciplined.

Magnificently brutal:angrymod:

Its new - "Coco&coir Coco Grow Compost", a UK brand. I made it up with my hard-as-nails tapwater, which hopefully buffered it as far as calcium goes - tho it probably lacked magnesium.

Yeah, am using foliar spray with epsom now, and will add more in the next watering. What kind of bio-stimulants do you use? I have some maxicrop seaweed extract.
I'll make up a weak nutrient solution like 4-500ppm (or just my rez 850ppm) and soak the Coco for 24 hours .. Then everything is charged balanced and available.

I'm going to get Epsom salts to do a side-by-side with bio stims.. however I use Coco:
new
sifted+reused
sifted+rinsed+buffered+ reused
Results may vary may per the state of the media and cultivar..

Would think cutting your tap with 50% rain would bring the calcium into line.
Is that a brand pH meter or a cheapie? Maybe it's been off..
Have you used that brand Coco before? I tried hy-gen pre buffered and found them yellowing out and replanted back into Canna.

I was curious as to why you set the pH so low but I assume it's to counter the high pH runoff? Which can make more problems like chasing a phantom. In that case it's better to feed more runoff more often at the correct pH. Try 6.0 and see if you can straighten out the run-off..

I'm pretty sure in my experience using canna that 1.5ml/L is all but underfeeding too so..

850 in 1000 out- is not bad. To reset it use weak nute solution to flush it down, check run-off and reset with regular strength nutes.

Have you checked everything environmentally eg temp, humidity VPD, leaf surface temp, light-intensity aka ppfd DLI?..

Did some pruning and topping in veg. Took opportunity to take cuts of the F2 Medical Mass x White Rhino #1, #2 & #4, and Blueberry #7, and put in a jar of water in flower.
are they going to show sex?

Need to slow everything down in veg for a while as flower will be full for ages. With the recent cold spell, overall temps have dropped from av of 25c to 22c, although I havent let them fall below 20c. If I raise the lights a bit/lower the intensity, will it check the growth, or just encourage stretch? Hmm. Currently 40-50cm off canopy and dialed down to 60%.

F2 MMxWR#5 (the runty one, in flower since 21st Dec) is now starting to bud. F2 MMxWR#3 (the chunkiest) is still undeclared, but has only been in flower about a week.
There's an app called ppfd meter its pretty accurate, use that to set the lights/plants to 250? PAR. And 16/8

:lurk:

​​​​​​​

aliceklar

Magnificently brutal:angrymod:
thank you dots! :smoke:
Am learning so much from this...

Would think cutting your tap with 50% rain would bring the calcium into line.
Is that a brand pH meter or a cheapie? Maybe it's been off..
Have you used that brand Coco before? I tried hy-gen pre buffered and found them yellowing out and replanted back into Canna.
I've realised that I misjudged the size of the bottles I've been using to feed/water... I've actually been cutting with 25% tapwater, not 50%... but anyway...
pH meter is a reasonable brand - but I now have buffer solution and will calibrate tonight.
I've not used this brand coco before... or ANY brand coco! - have only done two grows before, and both were in compost, so this is all new to me. Every single day is a schoolday... man... 😅

I was curious as to why you set the pH so low but I assume it's to counter the high pH runoff? Which can make more problems like chasing a phantom. In that case it's better to feed more runoff more often at the correct pH. Try 6.0 and see if you can straighten out the run-off..
Yes, I was deliberately keeping input pH low as the runoff was so high. If I put in at 5.8 it would v quickly rise to unhealthy levels, so i was trying to counteract that and increase the time that the pH stayed optimum, whilst keeping it within the acceptable range.

I'm pretty sure in my experience using canna that 1.5ml/L is all but underfeeding too so..
Yes, I wanted to start low as I was wary of burning them after my experiences back in Oct/Nov, but I've ramped it up now. Interesting to see that the least affected by the leaf yellowing was Blueberry (known for needing lower nutes).

850 in 1000 out- is not bad. To reset it use weak nute solution to flush it down, check run-off and reset with regular strength nutes.

Have you checked everything environmentally eg temp, humidity VPD, leaf surface temp, light-intensity aka ppfd DLI?..
I am way behind on some of these metrics - am just still getting my head round pH and ppm - dont currently have any way to measure VPD, leaf temp or light intensity, though temps are OK (20-25c consistently, av 22/23)

are they going to show sex?
Yup - exactly for that reason :)

dlxtpnuo

Amazing grow. I am so pleased you have come this far. Those guys at the back are lookin not too far from the ripening stage now. I am not able to read every detail here due to being away on commitments. Where are you on this? Maybe 6 weeks into 18, or so? Super, great, and absolutely my kindest regards on this.
Smoke reports soon, heh.:bump:

PCBuds

I am way behind on some of these metrics - am just still getting my head round pH and ppm - dont currently have any way to measure VPD, leaf temp or light intensity, though temps are OK (20-25c consistently, av 22/23)

These are what I have and they work well even though they are cheapies.
They aren't like PH and PPM meters where you need quality instruments for accurate measurements.

A hygrometer along with a thermometer allows you to use the VPD chart.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220110-105750_eBay.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.9 KB ID:	18038253

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220110-105750_eBay.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.9 KB ID:	18038253

I've got half a dozen of them and they give different readings, but that is because I have a lot of different zones in my grow space, and if they are too close to the lights the readings are affected.
I've got two different hygrometers in my big jar of buds with 58% Boveda packs and the meters are reading 59%.

An infra-red thermometer is also cheap but quite accurate.

A LUX meter is reasonably cheap as well.
This is the one I bought and luckily f-e has the same meter and he has calibrated it to convert to PPFD.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220110-111345_Amazon Shopping.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.1 KB ID:	18038254

I tried a few LUX meter phone apps, but they need to be calibrated with a proper light meter and I didn't have one, so the readings were erroneous.

An actual LUX meter is better calibrated.
It doesn't measure the full light spectrum like a professional PPFD meter, but a professional model is hundreds of dollars.

aliceklar

Amazing grow. I am so pleased you have come this far. Those guys at the back are lookin not too far from the ripening stage now. I am not able to read every detail here due to being away on commitments. Where are you on this? Maybe 6 weeks into 18, or so? Super, great, and absolutely my kindest regards on this.
Smoke reports soon, heh.:bump:

Hi dlx, thanks for dropping by, and for the kind words!
:tiphat:

There have been a few times when the plants all looked like absolute shite and I thought they would all die, but I've persevered (and been blessed with lots of generous advice from more experienced growers) and things are looking good now. I've also been pretty ruthless culling the failures... (benefit of being addicted to pollen chucking is that I have more seeds than I can ever grow in a lifetime, so I'm happy to burn through them)

That plant at the back is an interesting one. It only went into flower on 9th Dec, so its maturing crazy fast. its an F1 cross between an RQS AK47 auto and one of my own hybrids (male plant of a Medical Mass x White Rhino cross) thats part of an experiment I am doing to see if I can make my own auto seeds. so, its a photoperiod, but contains some auto genes. Should be done in a month, tops.

And smoke reports, damn straight there will be :smoker:

aliceklar

20220110_204259_9.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	20220110_204259_9.jpg Views:	2 Size:	82.1 KB ID:	18038487

20220110_204314_3.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	20220110_204314_3.jpg Views:	2 Size:	66.6 KB ID:	18038488

:canabis:And in other news, OMG. The F2 Medical Mass x White Rhino #3 (the chunky one) in flower is also female. Boom. Thats everything in flower confirmed female (apart from the BSGxA & SQA#2 scions on the SQA#1)

Blueberry #7 also female (cutting in a jar in flower showing pistils). Very happy about both of these things.

Last edited:

aliceklar

Keeping the lights in veg at 60% but dropping the period from 20/4 to 18/6. Aiming to slow growth down a bit until I've more space in flower. Still in two minds about this new setup - will wait at least until I've harvested a few plants to work out whether its better. The physical rebuild of the space is good because of the extra headroom, but I'm not convinced I should be using the smaller space for flower. Its warmer in there, and if I'm not careful I'll get overcrowding and mould. Pruned a few lower leaves in flower to improve air circulation.

Am considering the idea of reverting to using the smaller upper right chamber for veg (70x90cm footprint, 165cm height), and the big left chamber for flower, but with a horizontal partition for the bottom 40cm as an additional mums/clone space with either fluorescents or lower wattage LEDs. This would still leave me 185cm height in flower, which is enough. I could also include some kind of drainage, with run-off from plants in flower collecting in a container in the compartment underneath (dealing with runoff in trays with larger plants is turning into a major chore - it would be better if I just had to empty a single larger container once every few days.)

IMG_20220111_060316_0.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220111_060316_0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.9 KB ID:	18038853

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor

:canabis:And in other news, OMG. The F2 Medical Mass x White Rhino #3 (the chunky one) in flower is also female. Boom. Thats everything in flower confirmed female (apart from the BSGxA & SQA#2 scions on the SQA#1)

Blueberry #7 also female (cutting in a jar in flower showing pistils). Very happy about both of these things.

A lot of hairs coming out. look good so far. :good:

aliceklar

20220112_190945_2.jpg

20220112_191010_6.jpg

F2 MMxWR #5
20220112_191032_3.jpg

20220112_191047_BSGJ.jpg

20220112_191105_6.jpg

Think this graft may fail (Host BB#7, Scion Green Gelato). I messed it up with both a sloppy cut and a badly placed tape - who knows? It might still make it. I'm frequently amazed at the resilience of this amazing plant. 😍 I also have the GG as a scion on one of the SQs, and as a clone, as well as the seed plant, so no biggie.
20220112_191131_3.jpg

This graft is doing better.
20220112_191144_5.jpg

BSGxA #3 This was one of the "rescue" plants that was rootwashed and transplanted to a bucket of perlite, now in coco. Its still got a lot of crappy yellow, and has dropped some lower leaves. The newer growth seems good tho, especially since I've upped the nutes (giving 2.5ml each of Canna A +B) given some foliar epsom sprays, and started cutting the tap water with rainwater.
20220112_191303_2.jpg