What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

What is your average Grams Per Watt?

What is your average Grams Per Watt?

• 0.25 gpw

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • 0.50 gpw

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • 0.75 gpw

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • 1 gpw

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • 1.25 gpw

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • 1.50 gpw

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • 1.75 gpw

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 2 gpw

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • 2.25 gpw

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 2.50 gpw

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • 2.75 gpw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 gpw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rondon

The vast majority of growers using a typical home operation and traditional single ended hps fixtures and claiming a gram or more per watt of light are full of it. I know quite a few growers. I dont say anything but just quietly nod my head. Now alot of real deal growers using the newer double ended hps..cmh (maybe) and cob/quantum boards I will give a pass to. Because I know its alot easier and usually these growers if they go through the expense of buying into the pricey new lamps usually are a little more serious with what they are trying to achieve. Fact is..its not easy hitting a gram per watt..at all. Never has been. And says nothing about quality or what they are weighing and calling good buds. Hell...its hard to hit 0.8 gpw with most home setups. Many make wild claims. And Ive found most are bullshitting. Especially the air cooled/glass hood lamp growers. I grew with air cooled SE hps for years and years and NEVER hit a gram or more per watt. And I had to have perfect everything especially canopy to hit close. Like 0.8. And it wasnt consistent crop to crop.

G

ganjygav

The vast majority of growers using a typical home operation and traditional single ended hps fixtures and claiming a gram or more per watt of light are full of it. I know quite a few growers. I dont say anything but just quietly nod my head. Now alot of real deal growers using the newer double ended hps..cmh (maybe) and cob/quantum boards I will give a pass to. Because I know its alot easier and usually these growers if they go through the expense of buying into the pricey new lamps usually are a little more serious with what they are trying to achieve. Fact is..its not easy hitting a gram per watt..at all. Never has been. And says nothing about quality or what they are weighing and calling good buds. Hell...its hard to hit 0.8 gpw with most home setups. Many make wild claims. And Ive found most are bullshitting. Especially the air cooled/glass hood lamp growers. I grew with air cooled SE hps for years and years and NEVER hit a gram or more per watt. And I had to have perfect everything especially canopy to hit close. Like 0.8. And it wasnt consistent crop to crop.

I know I don't hit even 0.5g per watt. Last grow 600w soil and I got 7 oz of decent buds. I don't even count the fluffy popcorn buds into my yield though.
Even then I had just over 2 oz of that and I would would still just be missing that 0.5g per watt.
I used to concern myself about yield per watt reading the claims but ive been told I'm never gonna make near gpw growing in soil but would get close in hydro. This was the grow shop owner telling me this so don't know if he was trying to make hydro sales lol.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
Straight from Seed- 12/12.....Soil grow mix..400HPS

Did a BogBubble hydro with a 400 Watt..Was short like 18 inches and 394 grams wet...Went to Cure and got 94 grams.First time.

I've done the SourQueen with the same 400HPS watt soil grow.I got 6 Ounces 12/12 from Seed and went 65 days--4.8 feet tall and Dry ice and longer flowering times 5-6 week.Dry Ice Helped along with great soil mix when you have to water it close to 2X a day with a 3 gallon pot in the 5-6th week.She loved the DynoBloom that she sucked the soil dry!

So I've done .42 gpw then with the Sour Queen.Here's she's at 52 Days

If the BogBubble went to 5 feet then I'll be hitting .75-.78 Gpw...It probably would have to veg for a month or 3 like Bog normally does.I don't Veg At All.Just go 12/12 from seed.I did get slack from growing like that back in 2002-2005 but now it's sort of normal with no Veg times.

Rondon

I know I don't hit even 0.5g per watt. Last grow 600w soil and I got 7 oz of decent buds. I don't even count the fluffy popcorn buds into my yield though.
Even then I had just over 2 oz of that and I would would still just be missing that 0.5g per watt.
I used to concern myself about yield per watt reading the claims but ive been told I'm never gonna make near gpw growing in soil but would get close in hydro. This was the grow shop owner telling me this so don't know if he was trying to make hydro sales lol.
If a typical home grower with a tent or small room hits a pound every 600 watt single ended or 1.5 with a thousand especially single ended hps your doing damn good. A sealed room with gas and double ended and more of the pro techniques and equipment...with the right strain you know really well..you can double that and then some. Even soil or peat mix grows. Coco or Rockwool. Dwc/water. Hydroton. And nutrient fertilizer brands. None of that shit matters near as much as environment..strain..lighting and canopy.

He’s trying to sell you something.

I hit 1-1.25 gpw of baggable buds and I’m in soil with co2. Without the co2 I was hitting right at 2 per 1k. Just gotta know your cuts and what they do and don’t like. Defoliation is a biggie here, light penetration down into the canopy is what brings my yields up.

Plus gpw’s is completely subjective. Theres a lot of variables to consider. The biggest being what does and doesn’t make it into the bag. If I counted the larf it would be another 2 plus zips per.

Edited to add I use single ended hortilux bulbs. I use them for two 10 week runs then replace. Also wanted to add that my ceilings are 7’5.5” tall.

Last edited:

Rondon

You cobbers just crush it in the gpw dept. I love my Gavitas but I got my eye on thd led tech and just keeping on with what I got until they come down in price and i dont have to diy.

You cobbers just crush it in the gpw dept. I love my Gavitas but I got my eye on thd led tech and just keeping on with what I got until they come down in price and i dont have to diy.
Yeah but the catch is to get high efficiency you need a large number of cobs/m2 run at a faction of their maximum rated wattage.

Still, I am yet to see any convincing pictures of extremely high yielding rooms using cobs. Maybe someone here could offer one up as evidence, including room size, number of cobs, total watts and final yield..

:)

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Record keeping over the course of many years puts the grams per watt at .37 g/w.
Special crops designed to find limits put a single harvest at 1.22 g/w. The labor involved made yields like that not cost effective.
Some sativas rarely make .25 g/w while some indicas regularly break .5 g/w.

Exclusively cloning a special strain put the average up to .41 g/w over a four year period. A need for variety ended monocropping and the average again is .37 for this system of growing.
A five to seven plant perpetual using from 800 to 1000 watts per plant does not get as much personal care as a batch operation with seedling to harvest in the same room.

Every year or two I answer one of these threads, pretty much the same answer over the years.

As well as grams per watt as an objective measure there are other stats which I believe are just as important for making comparisons between equipment, strains, media, growers etc.

Grams/m2 - This measures the effective use of space.

Grams/m2/unit of time - This is a better measurement of efficiency in using space.

Grams/Kilowatt hour - Another way to measure efficiency.

In my case, my usual grow takes 10 weeks, with 3 weeks of veg and seven of flower. I have typically used a single-ended 600w hps with one plant in a 1m2 area. Yield is usually between 450 - 600g per grow depending on how dialed in I get it. So my stats are with 500gram:

.83g/watt

500g/m2

50g/m2/week

.86g/Kilowatt hour

This is a typical grow in that setup..
picture.php

The cola in the back, left hand corner
picture.php

So those claiming 2g/w would be using 300w in this space and getting a bigger yield than I am, or alternatively, using the same wattage and getting over twice the yield!

Pics or it didn't happen.

Cheers :)

coldcanna

Veteran
He’s trying to sell you something.

I hit 1-1.25 gpw of baggable buds and I’m in soil with co2. Without the co2 I was hitting right at 2 per 1k. Just gotta know your cuts and what they do and don’t like. Defoliation is a biggie here, light penetration down into the canopy is what brings my yields up.

Plus gpw’s is completely subjective. Theres a lot of variables to consider. The biggest being what does and doesn’t make it into the bag. If I counted the larf it would be another 2 plus zips per.

Edited to add I use single ended hortilux bulbs. I use them for two 10 week runs then replace. Also wanted to add that my ceilings are 7’5.5” tall.

My buddy is a lead grower in a Denver op, they started heavy defol around week 3 of flower and their yields blew up, now getting close to 2.5 per light :woohoo:

coldcanna

Veteran
And for what its worth, I feel like grams per KW per year, or grams per sq ft per year (including all resources used in veg) would finally lay to rest the subjectivity of the old GPW arguement. It'd account for various veg cycles and lighting techniques, its more of a true metric used in real businesses

Here is a recent grow in the same space but using a 315w CMH plus 200w of cobs. Total yield from 515w was 380 grams, or 0.74g/w. The buds were smaller and less dense, however the quality was superior in terms of frost and terps compared to the HPS.

picture.php

picture.php

My current grow is testing 2 x 315w CMH in the same space with the same strain. I am hopefull that the two 315w CMH will come close to the yield i usually get with hps.

:)

My buddy is a lead grower in a Denver op, they started heavy defol around week 3 of flower and their yields blew up, now getting close to 2.5 per light :woohoo:

It really works. IMO it’s common sense to do When 80% ish of buds sites are blocked by fans leafs. If it doesn’t get direct light they will never be able to reach their full potential.

Easy7

Veteran
Are we going to start measuring trichromes per watt or THC molecules per watt?

What it comes down to, are the yields of active compounds. That's one part of why bag appeal means very little to me. It's not how the lady looks all dolled up, it's how she is in more private arenas.

Outdoor may be ugly, but she smokes damn fine for the cost.

Also how much someone pays for AC, fans, and all the goodies. One reason why long winter grows are a plus. Hundreds of watts turns into thousands of watts and gets expensive quickly.

I do a lot of playing around with numbers. So I get a great idea of what each and every little feature of a grow adds up to. It pays big to turn down fans and dial back lights, if the plants (and canopy) are not really using all of that.

The future of indoor will be maximizing profits, cutting down costs and increasing yields/quality. Super duper hard to beat proper outdoor. So much of indoor bag appeal is a gimmick. Terps, shape, resin, doubt people can just wiff and look at a bag and tell me how she smokes and not be bias.

A lot of today's new strains have long trich stalks. They look more resinous from these long stalks. It's all about the bulb of the trich. Not how white. So it takes a macro shot to see how the trichs are standing. Small flimsy stalks aren't holding up large bulbous glands. It takes a thicker stalk that stands upright.

mack 10

Veteran
1.2-1.4 gpw 4'x4' 600 watt hps.

what strain?

got any bud pics,
doesn't look like 6x 5oz + plants.
please post up some plant or bud shots.

i hve heard of 30oz plus per 600
but have never no-ingly hit that magic 30

this was with 600w and phillips green power bulbs.

Latest posts

Latest posts