What's new

WHAT ARE YOU EATING TODAY?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
excellent question my friend! you could easily make it yourself
for biscuits and gravy you can see how chunky the gravy is
its basically a white gravy, made from the sausage fat and flour and milk, but you leave the sausage in there to give it that extra pow!
i like stock gravies for other stuff and they would work well poured over a sliced piece of toasted bread (another popular item from back in the bay) but you want to sausage chunks in the sausage gravy because the biscuits are so thick (i usually split mine in half)

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
That's a fine feast doobs, it's nice sometimes to order a takeaway and take a break from slaving over the cooker..The crab Rangoon is a type of filo pastry, I guess you will be having that as a starter..
You might need a hammock or something to lye down on afterwards.. Enjoy it man, I hope you found your keys as well.
Never found the keys. I'm cleaning the apartment and getting high, I'll eat my Chinese food later. Have a good evening superx👍

CharlesU Farley

it would look like this
View attachment 19016234

thats biscuits and sausage gravy
I mean _no_ disrespect whatsoever to you pop_rocks (I frequently piss off people I like without knowing about it, with my not so humble opinions ;)). I absolutely love your posts and where you live in SD, the only place in CA I would relocate to... just couldn't afford the La Jolla nursing homes now. :ROFLMAO:

But... here in the SouthEast mountains, we would laugh at that being called biscuits and gravy. :) Store-bought biscuits, probably Jimmy Dean sausage crumbled up in that milky / flowery mess that probably tastes more like paste than gravy. :eek:

Just like us SouthEastern folks couldn't do fish tacos the way they should really be done in SD, biscuits and gravy anywhere other than the SouthEast would probably make me hurl.😂

i like mine with fried eggs on top and lots of gravy
😯

its the gravy that makes it good, there is also a red eye gravy where you put coffee into the gravy, but i dont do mine like that
_Real_ red eye gravy will not only make your toes curl, it'll wake your ass up like you could never imagine.(y) No flour in red eye gravy whatsoever, nothing but country ham renderings, jet black coffee and pepper mixed together, and boiled down to a thicker consistency.

/arent biscuits like cookies in some places
With the heavy Scotch/Irish influence here in the SouthEast, it's hard for me to imagine that anyone from GB would consider biscuits sweet and cookie like here in th U.S., but then again, the immigrants from GB in the SoutheEast, in the early 1900s, we're not exactly the tea and crumpets crowd. :ROFLMAO:😂:ROFLMAO:

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
IMG_20240611_171857518.jpg

superx

Veteran
So I think that's biscuits and gravy cleared up..

Picked up some prawns from the local store (frozen) but tasted decent 👌 added some red tomatoes 🍅 along with chorizo and red pesto also a small can of roma tomatoes to break the thick consistency. Served with spaghetti with a light squeeze of lemon juice on top crushed black pepper corns and a light sprinkle of parsley...

Sliced Toasted garlic sourdough on the side to mop up the sauce..

moose eater

Another large Thai stir-fry in red Thai curry and organic coconut milk, a bit of coconut oil, kafir lime leaves, fresh pressed garlic, minced ginger, lime juice, reduced chicken base, organic coconut cream/milk, a touch of corn starch mixed in with the end of the reduced chicken base, organic broccoli, 1 fat jalapeno pepper minced fairly small, minimal number of thin-sliced carrots (carrots = carbs), sliced thick sweet onions, lots of thick-sliced organic button top mushrooms, red sweet bell peppers coarsely cut, green onions from the garden/greenhouse, thickly sliced celery, long strips of sliced boneless skinless chicken thighs, long strips of calamari steaks, Patagonia wild-caught red/pink large shrimp, 1-1/2 TBSP or so of Monk Fruit with erythritol, a drizzle of organic maple syru0p in limited amount (maybe a teaspoon), and not sure what I might've missed. If I think of anything, I'll add ana edit.

IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

moose eater

where do you get all that calamari moose? seems like you eat a fair bit of it
Costco was selling it in large oval steaks in smaller packages as well as 5-lb. bags, initially for $4 to $5/lb. Then they apparently had a rough time moving it (squid's not everybody's thing) and they reduced it to just under $2/lb. to make it move (probably discontinued it for now, maybe for good), so we were buying the 5-lbs. bags 3-4 at a time, and I mentioned it to my older son who lives on a budget, and we scored 15-lbs. of it for him, as well, for a hair under $2/lb. or $9.99 for 5-lbs.

I've still got about 6-1/2-lbs. in the larger upright freezer, and not sure what my older son has left.

I cautioned him that, based on the size of the steaks, it's likely from more mature squid of a larger species/sub-species, so to be conscious of how often he eats the stuff, re. heavy metals.

But it comes in really handy for deep-fried squid strips/pieces and stir-fries, especially with the dark meat chicken and shrimp thrown in.

Many meals prepared all at once in a larger wok like that one, like I prefer, and if I don't raid it too hard, I might freeze some in quarts or slightly larger to take along on various expeditions in the near future... Though heating up such a stir-fry on a camp stove in bear country might not be the smartest thing I ever did. :)

Edit: My wife doesn't care for shrimp very much, so all of those 'sea bugs' are mine!! :)

Last edited:

shithawk420

Veteran
My youngest German shepherd puppy just cleaned the residue from my bowl, so it apparently received her approval.

View attachment 19016888
Wow He/She is a beut. Dont know if im gonna get another after this one but if i did id like a GS. my first love was a Schipperke. He wasnt normal though. he didnt have a high pitched voice and had a real thick mane.

Yeah thats a lot a squid. Havent had it in years. i want to get a Costco membership but my mom is just stubborn for no reason. i can get my own membership but it would be moot unless they have delivery. my brother took me there once and i loved it. I bought 3 nice Prime NY Strips for $60 they were excellent for the price. I have seen the Costco light!

LOL I can see yogi going for your squid. forgive my ignorance but a bear will just come up on you quite like while your cooking? always thought they were on the sneakier side . Look at at sneaky 3 legged drunk

moose eater

Wow He/She is a beut. Dont know if im gonna get another after this one but if i did id like a GS. my first love was a Schipperke. He wasnt normal though. he didnt have a high pitched voice and had a real thick mane.

Yeah thats a lot a squid. Havent had it in years. i want to get a Costco membership but my mom is just stubborn for no reason. i can get my own membership but it would be moot unless they have delivery. my brother took me there once and i loved it. I bought 3 nice Prime NY Strips for $60 they were excellent for the price. I have seen the Costco light!

LOL I can see yogi going for your squid. forgive my ignorance but a bear will just come up on you quite like while your cooking? always thought they were on the sneakier side . Look at at sneaky 3 legged drunk

Thanks, 'hawk.

Schipperkes are beautiful dogs.

Yeah, I've always had dogs, ever since I was tiny, and this one will likely outlive me. She's a smart one, though petite in size for her age and breed. She LOVES food, stays close by, is protective, but out of a defensiveness wherein she's startled by many things and then becomes aggressive a bit, and that worries me a little re. liability. Fear turned to aggression is not always a good thing in a dog..

Yes, bears, when startled, can be clumsy as they come, breaking branches, etc., when surprised and trying to leave an area quickly. They can also be so quiet in the woods that they appear to be walking on air.

Their eyesight isn't so hot, but their noses and, to an ever-so-slightly lesser degree (but still -quite- proficient), their ears/hearing.

I typically try to minimize really attractive smells when I'm out in the bush. I rarely take breakfast sausage or bacon with me for that reason. And anything and everything that smells like food is burned in the campfire after the fact.

The smell of this stir-fry might serve as an attractant of sorts. But if I take it along in an ice-cold cooler for dip-netting or for after we come back in from halibut fishing out in the Gulf, I can have it thawed, and prepare it near the vehicle, too.

superx

Veteran
He's a mutt but he's great.gonna be 14 this fall I think.still almost as fast and strong as he was when he was younger.truly a good specimen.hes begging for food.he is way too spoiled.wont eat his dry food unless i put something in there View attachment 19016893
He looks in fine shape for 14 hawk.
Moose you might outlive your Aldo I’m sure you have many moons ahead of you. (Happy belated anniversary as well) you must be doing something rite.

I do enjoy a bit of squid in bread crumb or chowder. It’s got to be timed to perfection other wise it can become quite rubbery, it happens all to often when we are eating out (I’m a fussy fecker) I made up some scrambled eggs this morning (4) and threw in the left over chorizo from last night. No idea what’s on the menu tonight as herself said she would Russell something up. Looking forward to it all the same.

moose eater

He looks in fine shape for 14 hawk.
Moose you might outlive your Aldo I’m sure you have many moons ahead of you. (Happy belated anniversary as well) you must be doing something rite.

I do enjoy a bit of squid in bread crumb or chowder. It’s got to be timed to perfection other wise it can become quite rubbery, it happens all to often when we are eating out (I’m a fussy fecker) I made up some scrambled eggs this morning (4) and threw in the left over chorizo from last night. No idea what’s on the menu tonight as herself said she would Russell something up. Looking forward to it all the same.
Yeah, these calamari steaks have been run through a tenderizer machine, sort of like a cube steak machine we used to make the tougher cuts of moose and beef into cube steaks.

I might've simmered the last additions in the meal a little too long, due to typing a message and correcting typos, but they weren't too far over the line for eating.

The Doc told me maybe 5 years over a year ago, and the pup is now about almost, not quite 8-1/2 months, so the race is on.

She sleeps next to me every night, and my wife and I have discussed the transition for when/if I pass before her. When I was gone to Anchorage for radiation last month, and my wife would walk her for her numerous breaks, she would run back in and check my computer chair in front of my desk, see I wasn't there, and be a little deflated. Shrunken a bit.

But since my hip has been giving me some significant grief, my wife has done far more walking and playing outside with her when she's home, and the pup has shared more of her affinity between the 2 of us, toward my wife, so that's a good thing.

Thank you for the anniversary compliments. It's been a long road at times, but we're still here and my wife is still the helpful angel she's been. Coming to understanding past unproductive interactions with our kids took time for her to internalize, even though she'd been made aware of it decades ago. I've been advocating for her to get past the "Oh no, I made an error that affected others in re. to a significant aspect of life," and move more into, "How am I going to avoid repeating this sort of error and make my own history and relationship with myself and others better by doing so?" Productivity in a positive way and forward movement, rather than shock at truly finally realizing patterns and something so askew. A positive move. It takes time for any of us realizing a serious fuck-up to the point that we truly REALIZE it.

Another stumbling block of potential merit and growth.

Lord knows I've had some of my own.

The last half of life often includes making peace with oneself and those around us we've most affected, in my opinion, anyway.

superx

Veteran
Indeed Moose making peace with oneself is perhaps the hardest part of all I think. We spend much of our lives looking out at others, kids, trials and tribulations only to realise we can only control what we can control. I think challenging times make best for self realisation. Myself and Mrs X been working through that this last decade - cutting out those who weren't the best for us and our unit - calming down the drinking and the madness and working on our own little property with a view it isn't ours but our kids. We are both trying to eat well mind our bodies and with that comes the mind eh. Youngest daughter started her first job today for summer and all these milestones make us very lucky humans - alot of our friends took the short route out.

One thing on the bucket list though is to eat some moose - I can't imagine what it tastes like but moose pie sounds like a winner to me. Its hard here to get anything outside of the usual beef lamb or pork - venison comes by once in a while lord knows our surrounding country side is over run with them and we see them often on the road and in the field. We also have wild goats around but they are pretty shy. Goat curry is one if our all time favs but again it isn't easy to get hold of.
Would like to travel more - really for food more than anything. I have obsession of reading menus and watching food programmes. The food in Ireland is limited really.
Doctors say alot of things mate and I hope we all have as many revolutions around the sun as possible.

moose eater

Indeed Moose making peace with oneself is perhaps the hardest part of all I think. We spend much of our lives looking out at others, kids, trials and tribulations only to realise we can only control what we can control. I think challenging times make best for self realisation. Myself and Mrs X been working through that this last decade - cutting out those who weren't the best for us and our unit - calming down the drinking and the madness and working on our own little property with a view it isn't ours but our kids. We are both trying to eat well mind our bodies and with that comes the mind eh. Youngest daughter started her first job today for summer and all these milestones make us very lucky humans - alot of our friends took the short route out.

One thing on the bucket list though is to eat some moose - I can't imagine what it tastes like but moose pie sounds like a winner to me. Its hard here to get anything outside of the usual beef lamb or pork - venison comes by once in a while lord knows our surrounding country side is over run with them and we see them often on the road and in the field. We also have wild goats around but they are pretty shy. Goat curry is one if our all time favs but again it isn't easy to get hold of.
Would like to travel more - really for food more than anything. I have obsession of reading menus and watching food programmes. The food in Ireland is limited really.
Doctors say alot of things mate and I hope we all have as many revolutions around the sun as possible.
There've been times that cutting this journey short wouldn't have been seen as a bad thing, necessarily.

Cutting others out, outside of my immediate life and family, hasn't been difficult. I've extricated many, and once I ceased growing for profit, I didn't need to hold my tongue as much, either. Freedom in having fewer Achilles tendons.

We have made every dish you can imagine with moose. Moose pasties (Cornish meat pies with potato, rutabaga, onion, and carrot, with the basic salt and black pepper, in an encompassing half-moon shaped crust; starting with a round crust and folding it over like a calzone), to stir-fry, 'sloppy joes', thin-sliced flash-fried steaks with the more tender parts, sausages, and more.

Been 3 years since I last had moose in the freezer, and my removal of a former long-term friend in the bush from my very limited social circle and my distancing of my younger son, and previously his distancing of me, has perpetuated the 'no moose' status. Though I do miss it a lot. We ate it and raised our kids on it for decades. Back then we bought very little store-bought commercial meat.

My younger son shot a moose near a remote village last Fall, at a time that we weren't speaking at all, and he gave most of it to his girlfriend's aunt who raised her.

I've asked him a couple times for a package even of just plain burger, (though the family he couch surfed with for a year and a half+ and was with when he shot his moose adds pork fat to their burger rather than beef suet, thus requiring more thorough cooking. We've done similar with bacon added into the grind, but never pork fat, unless we were making bulk/loose breakfast sausage, bulk Italian sausage, bulk chorizo, etc.

If you should get up this way, feel free to stay and visit. We distance and mask heavily still (P100's and such) but we have workarounds. Who knows? If I look hard, I might be able to find someone willing to lend a package of moose, or (though technically questionable under the laws) trade/barter some for some fish (perhaps salmon or halibut) or something else I might have on-hand.

We're about 20 miles out of town in the Interior, surrounded by hills and trees. Fairly peaceful, though a whole lot more so when there were far fewer neighbors here. Still, everyone in the subdivision has their own plot of land, mostly out of view of each other.

Last edited:

superx

Veteran
Salivating at that pastie description.... sounds amazing. For sure if we are passing by we won't not say hello. It sounds like you occupy a lovely space on earth. We are maybe 20 km from any town of substance. We can see neighbours from the cottage they are farmers they stick to their routine and we ours. They probably have freezers full of deer it's really only farmers here who have the ability to get licences for hunting.

From the top of the field there is grand views of the Burren this is a very impressive geological landscape with its own flora and fauna, has a lot of famine walls there aswell... (You can Google the Burren if your not familiar with it) parts of it feels like your on the moon. The Dolmenes on the Burren go way back before the famine so a very unusual landscape indeed, blessed to have it in our view.

moose eater

Salivating at that pastie description.... sounds amazing. For sure if we are passing by we won't not say hello. It sounds like you occupy a lovely space on earth. We are maybe 20 km from any town of substance. We can see neighbours from the cottage they are farmers they stick to their routine and we ours. They probably have freezers full of deer it's really only farmers here who have the ability to get licences for hunting.

From the top of the field there is grand views of the Burren this is a very impressive geological landscape with its own flora and fauna, has a lot of famine walls there aswell... (You can Google the Burren if your not familiar with it) parts of it feels like your on the moon. The Dolmenes on the Burren go way back before the famine so a very unusual landscape indeed, blessed to have it in our view.
There's a drive-through place in Anchorage now that I just learned about, called 'A Pie Stop', that does more traditional beef pasties, and charges $12/each for them.

They do other delectable pies, as well, including pot pies, shepherd's pie, fruit pies cream pies, etc., etc... A grandfather/granddaughter team owns and runs the place.

I fondly remember meeting up in remote locations/lakes with friends from the Yukon Territory for our annual late winter ice fishing trips, with myself and my sons, and bringing 30-40 moose pasties wrapped in foil in a 'pastie cooler', designated specifically for homemade moose pasties. It occurred to me that with 40 pasties in that cooler, we were talking over $500 worth of pasties at current commercial value, with no added pricing for the moose meat uniqueness... :)

Leftover stir-fry for lunch and I'm off to see the neurosurgeon, then a fast (possible) preparation for a moment's notice midnight trip of about 305 miles to Chitina for dip netting with my daughter, if we're able to go. Plan possibility just came up over the telephone a few moments ago. Turns out she hasn't dip-netted at Chitina since she last went there with me when she was a mere 15-ish years old. She's 30 now. So, the race is on... maybe.

I cringe at the thought of her being on that river by herself or with unknown sorts, especially with severely limited sleep and the drive ahead of her from Anchorage...

Last edited: