What's new

Weird - Wacky - Funny News

R

Robrites

picture.php

Green Squall

How did a sand tiger shark's jawbone make its way into Minnesota waters?

How did a sand tiger shark's jawbone make its way into Minnesota waters?

"Shark Week" came early for an angler in northern Minnesota who caught a shark's jawbone while fishing the Mississippi River near Highway 6, just west of Grand Rapids.

"When we saw it coming up, we had no idea what it was," said Joey Piskel, who watched his dad, Joe Piskel, reel it in. "We thought it was a sheep skull or cow jaw until we saw the teeth."

Joe, 59, of Grand Rapids, and Joey, 32, of Bemidji, brought the 9- to 10-inch jawbone to the Grand Rapids Department of Natural Resources office to be identified. A fisheries biologist there said the jawbone is from a sand tiger shark, a salt water species that can't survive in fresh water.

Well then, how'd it get there?

"I couldn't speculate how it got there, but it's doubtful it got there on its own," said Cheri Zeppelin, information offer for the DNR. "The dams that are downstream from this don't allow for that kind of fish passage."

After identifying the species, the jawbone was returned to the angler.

Photos of the jawbone were shared on the popular "Fishesota" Facebook page and Fishing Minnesota Facebook page, leading to lively discussions about how it got in the Mississippi River in the first place.

One group member suggested the jaws came from a gift shop in Florida. DNR officials said the jawbone didn't appear to be a "tourist trinket."

In a photo shared by the DNR, the jawbone has some discoloration that the fishermen believed were bits of flesh.

"Oh, yeah, it had a lot of flesh and was very rotten smelling," Joey said.

"Currently, it's in some hydrogen peroxide to clean it up, then dry it out to hang it on the wall," Joey said. "I'll have a great opening of fishing memory forever with my dad."

shithawk420

Veteran
That's not a real picture. Looks like concept art. Either way id love to have that boat. 20 mil is not that much for a boat like that

shithawk420

Veteran
Lol I bet there's a way to fish off that boat. You just don't see it! Boats like that are the pinnacle of living. If you can think it its got it

Betterhaff

Veteran
That reminds me of a fishing story. Was out on a friend’s boat for a weekend fishing trip and as we were heading back to harbor the boat broke down. We were a few miles out and another boat heading back stopped to see if we were having problems. He offered to tow us which was a blessing because trouble assistance on the water can get expensive. So we got things tied off and as he started towing us I noticed it was perfect trolling speed. So I threw a line in and after a few minutes laid into a 12 pound walleye. My friend that owned the boat was kind of pissed at me for throwing a line in, said it was rude but everybody was happy when I gave the fish to the guy that gave us the tow.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Lol I bet there's a way to fish off that boat. You just don't see it! Boats like that are the pinnacle of living. If you can think it its got it

yeah, probably has fighting chairs etc on lower deck back at stern. you would want them down real close to water level...bet it won't spin on a dime while fighting a fish like something built at Hatteras or Montauk would, either,,,:biggrin:

shithawk420

Veteran
Man a boat like that has a 20 seat theater, at least 3 bars, 10 rooms. 20 bath probably even a bowling alley. I guarantee its got its own freezer for fresh fish. Cest let vie I wish I could even rent one

Mick

Veteran
Saint Lawrence was martyred by the Romans by being tied to a grill and roasted over a fire. At one point he calmly informed his torturers that he was done on that side and to turn him over. Many still celebrate his day with a barbecue.

shithawk420

Veteran
More like tusk, tusk. Live by the tusk, die by the tusk. The guy was crushed to death by the elephant. That's gotta hurt but can't say I feel sorry for him

Latest posts

Latest posts