What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

VerdantGreen's quarters - 250HPS organic mod.scrog

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey wonka, sourdog 2 came in at about 70g so pretty much the same - decent yield.

i still havent smoked much after being ill before xmas - and have kept off the sourdog as i want to wait till i have a clear head. for sure it is quality smoke though with a strong flavor. my friend described it as lychee/ugly fruit with a hint of gees linctus - old fashioned cough medicine!.

im gonna have a good go on it soon but yeah its definitely promising. i kept a mum of both phenos so i'll work out which one i like best and run it again. sometimes i sling the mum after the fist smoke so the sourdog is definitely not a disappointment. i may give a nug to someone who has actually smoked chem and SD to see what they think!

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey fonzee missed you there - thanks - yep they are looking frosty - hopefully the UV tubes are helping that :)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You should def try airpots, would yield even more.

hi strass. i have thought about airpots but they would need working out with the modscrog system. perhaps i could just sit them in the pots i already use but then that would mean less soil. my plants dont get rootbound at all so im not sure it would yield me more tbh but ive heard lots of good things about them...

W

w.wonka

nice!! look forward to hearing what u think... i ended up with 4 ladies out of 9 on my Sourdawgs.. got them vegn with some La Confidential, Lemon Skunk, n Super Stardawg and plan on taking cuts before the new year n flipn them the 1st or so... take care..... w.wonka

strass

hi strass. i have thought about airpots but they would need working out with the modscrog system. perhaps i could just sit them in the pots i already use but then that would mean less soil. my plants dont get rootbound at all so im not sure it would yield me more tbh but ive heard lots of good things about them...

It all about air to the roots, you would need to water more often tho. Are those 15L buckets? I think you would do great in 10L airpots. If anything you are using 5L less soil.

Thanks, really enjoy your grows.

Hey VG, airpots make no difference when it comes to small grows. More SOIL is what makes for better yields (in small spaces), not pot trickery. You know that. If you switch, there will be a decrease in yield.

Just to be clear, I think they're great when talking 3 gal or larger, in say a stadium situation with a lot of light, or outside, but for your set-up, it would be a downgrade, as you couldn't make the switch and keep the same soil volume that you have now.

I wonder if the material could be purchased to make custom shaped pots with?
That would be a different story..

strass

Hi Frankinsensi.

Why couldnt he keep the same soil volume? And if you wanna make custon shape i think its better to look inte smartpots.

Hi Frankinsensi.

Why couldnt he keep the same soil volume? And if you wanna make custon shape i think its better to look inte smartpots.

If memory serves, he's using square, 4 gallon pots and has limited head-room. I think he said he had to cut off the lip of the pots just to fit them in there, lol. It would be hard to match that volume with round, 4 gallon airpots, not to mention maintaining his current height.

I like the airpots, but didn't notice an increase in yield, tbh. I used the 2 gallon pots. The difference in yield between 2 and 3 gal, 3 and 4 gal etc, is huge.

One sweet thing about airpots, as far as scroggers are concerned, is the fact that you can insert a water meter probe anywhere in the pot to get a great idea of overall moisture levels, since you can't pick them up, or check from the top, because of the screen. Although, VG may be able to go by pot weight, since he's doing modular. They also dry out faster, which is good for LED users.

Also, airpots are really meant to stop spin-out, as they prune the roots. VG has said before that he uses so much soil, that it may be overkill, so spin-out isn't really a concern.

I recommend to everyone using soil... use the most soil, largest pots you can get away with in your space, regardless of the type.
More soil volume = more Cannabis, all else being equal.

strass

If memory serves, he's using square, 4 gallon pots and has limited head-room. I think he said he had to cut off the lip of the pots just to fit them in there, lol. It would be hard to match that volume with round, 4 gallon airpots, not to mention maintaining his current height.

I like the airpots, but didn't notice an increase in yield, tbh. I used the 2 gallon pots. The difference in yield between 2 and 3 gal, 3 and 4 gal etc, is huge.

One sweet thing about airpots, as far as scroggers are concerned, is the fact that you can insert a water meter probe anywhere in the pot to get a great idea of overall moisture levels, since you can't pick them up, or check from the top, because of the screen. Although, VG may be able to go by pot weight, since he's doing modular. They also dry out faster, which is good for LED users.

Also, airpots are really meant to stop spin-out, as they prune the roots. VG has said before that he uses so much soil, that it may be overkill, so spin-out isn't really a concern.

I recommend to everyone using soil... use the most soil, largest pots you can get away with in your space, regardless of the type.
More soil volume = more Cannabis, all else being equal.

I thought he used round pots? Ofcourse you should always go the biggest size you can, just saying a 10L airpot would outyield a 10L standard pot.

picture.php

Back to the grow..

Yeah, he must have changed pots at some point.
As far as airpots out-yielding standard pots.. my personal experience has shown, without a doubt, that there is no difference. I'm not calling anyone a liar. I'm just saying that I didn't see any difference in yield, and personal experience is all I have. It's not a stretch to at least entertain the idea that growers are being bamboozled with the latest hyped up product. It has happened before, lol. To ME!

just saying a 10L airpot would outyield a 10L standard pot.

picture.php

Back to the grow..

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wonka - sounds good, you should get a good keeper or two out of 4 ladies.

strass and frankensensi - interesting about the smartpots. yeah the 15L round pots i use are 1ft wide without the lip and my cab is 2ft deep so the pots are defo maxed out. i personally doubt that a 10L smartpot would better the pots in my setup as i go from about 5L to 15L at the same time as i flip. the roots have lots of space - but who knows???

---

managed to chop the Lemon thai today at 10 weeks and it sure smelled good.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Deep Chunk quad is coming on nicely and it looks like the quad trait will improve the yield fo sho. the tri male i kept was used to pollenate a few lower buds but it also started throwing pistils so not sure i'll do much with the seeds. i used a little original DC pollen (the dads of DCq) to dust a buds today and they may be a better bet. DCq herself looks all lady though.
we are nearly 4 weeks in.
picture.php

picture.php

BB at 10.5weeks and also ready to come down
picture.php

VG

W

w.wonka

the lemon t and bb look bomb VG!!! finding 1 keeper out of the 4 would be nice.. a few of them are putting off a nice smell here in veg.. also LST them a bit.. looking forward to fliping them at the end of the week and hearing ur final thoughts on hows urs turned out...

w.wonka

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey wonka, of the two phenos i kept i would prefer to keep the shorter one, often with multi hybrids you get a lot of very tall plants.

had a smoke on the short pheno last night, it was the first smoke for a few days - i was f*cking flying. strong body stone but still plenty of head too.

VG

strass

strass and frankensensi - interesting about the smartpots. yeah the 15L round pots i use are 1ft wide without the lip and my cab is 2ft deep so the pots are defo maxed out. i personally doubt that a 10L smartpot would better the pots in my setup as i go from about 5L to 15L at the same time as i flip. the roots have lots of space - but who knows???

15L Airpots are Diameter = 270mm Height = 330mm

Dunno if that would fit your space.

Edit: Airpots are rigid

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
strass - thats a good size for my cab fo sho. i still think i would need to sit them in my existing pots because of fixing the screen, but i guess that would become clear when i get some. not cheep at about 5-6 quid each...

SB thanks mate. tbh i never run out of many strains. usually i have about a dozen strains to choose from, and then there is the hash ;)

---

good news. the DCq cutting has rooted! - so as long as teh new growth is quad, or at least reverts back to quad then we have a winner. the DCq in flower is getting properly frosty nice and early which bodes well...

quite a site to behold under the canopy with 4 nugs at each node... got a new camera today so will try and step the picture quality up a bit - when i get time to do more than chuck water at them. pretty sure i lost my power plant mum :( but at least i have power black and some PB f2's as well.

VG