What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

moose eater

1723419582396.png

moose eater

Just dipped my 518-gallon #1 heating oil tank. Hadn't done so in months, and fully anticipated that it might be nearing empty or maybe under 100 gallons.

Nope, the stick says just about right at 170 gallons, and I have another 168 gallons in poly drums from the last time I hauled heating oil.|

The price has been down at one spot, and is down as of today at another spot, so I can run one load of poly drums in cash, and 2-1/2 loads on credit for the moment, and have everything here plum full.

Score 2 more 55-gallon barrels and put another pallet under the barn near the dirt working tools and the second gasoline table and get to forgo any hauling of fuel in winter. Cool. Likely have heating fuel oil well into Fall of 2025, or even beyond mid-Winter 2025/2026 that way.

moose eater

Gotta' clear the van of the remaining items from the last trip to the Yukon Territory, especially the 4-stroke outboard kicker that's under the lower bed, and get the van ready for what might be a decent drive in the near future to Los Anchorage for another serious radioactive scan and the follow-up with my radiation oncologist.

Maybe some fishing on a longer and winding route on the return trip, up the Glenn Hwy and Richardson Hwy, rather than the Parks Hwy, including a possible detour of shorter length for dip-netting for coho/silver salmon at Chitina... with some straggler reds/sockeye...

There'll be steelhead there shortly, too, but they're a no-no to retain when dip-netting. Telling the difference between them and silvers, I frequently have to remind myself, so I carry a hand-written description in my dip-net permit zip-lock.

Possibly another saltwater adventure out of Seward (for a change of pace; lots more ling cod seemingly coming in there than in Valdez lately), and perhaps some of the hundreds of streams or rivers I've historically driven past over the last (nearly) half-century on the longer route home, that I've never wet a line in.

Would be a shame to pass through life and not have answered those more serious pressing questions, asked many times when passing such places stoned, like, "I wonder if there's decent fishing in that water?"

Got my very attractive cancer patient rate set up (for now) at the hotel that offers such benefits, close to my radiation Doc's clinic.

Also got offered a GOOD sale price (with an additional discount code) on some high-back, water-proof hiking boots from a company I bought a pair of very similar boots from about 4+ years ago. I've yet to have most name-brand sneakers or soft hiking boots last me much over 2-6 months. These boots, with the exception of one loose thread that developed last year, and a broken hook from when I tripped over a blown-down spruce tree in the back yard, have lasted over 4 years and are still in pretty decent shape. Solid, decent shoes and boots made for diabetic and similarly sensitive feet.

They're normally over $100, plus freight, and these are coming at around $65 with freight included.

Buying shoes online has often been something I've avoided more often than not, as shoes are something typically best bought in person to afford a better fit, but with these I already know they're made a bit smaller than advertised, so knowing how they tend to fit, it's a safer gamble.

And they come with sweat/moisture/H2O-repelling insoles that add a nice pad for walking pressure points, too.

Anyone interested in these, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

moose eater

I've been down to 4 strains for mothers for the last long while. I'd killed 2 other long-time strains a while back, and was thinking of killing off yet another to reduce it to 3, so if I ever get around to planting another crop to take to fruition rather than just keeping the strains going, I'll have room for 2-4 new strains from the significant collection of yet untested seeds.

Then with lethargy being what it has been these days, and my being in the Yukon Territory for most of 2 weeks with the plants pretty neglected for the past 8 months, I contemplated just letting them die in my absence. Told a helper to turn the lights in the active mother cupboard off shortly after I'd left for Canada..

Then several days later, visiting friends in the Yukon, I twisted a doobie of my original Super Lemon Haze, and noted the stickiness of the bud, the sweet smell, the unique high, etc., and looked at my friend and said, "Shit!! I've gotta' phone home and tell them to turn those lights back on!"

But I'd decided to let Satori #5 die a while ago. Ironically, Satori #5 is the only mother in there that's green, happy, etc., despite the lengthy period of neglect. So, as it would happen, I opened up the freezer tonight to get something out to twist a doobie, and her sister, Satori #2, now deceased, was there in the door.

Rolled the joint, shared it, and collected opinions on its worthiness.

The results were very positive. I guess it's getting harder to reduce my harem to 3 or fewer strains. Maybe bigger mother cupboards?

Last edited:

moose eater

1724394917989.png

A German hiker is uninjured after a grizzly bear attack near Revine Creek Monday evening.

According to a news release from Alaska State Troopers, Jonathan Geis was bushwhacking alone near Revine Creek, several miles southeast of the McKinley Village Airport, Monday evening when a brown bear attacked his backpack from behind while in dense forest.

The bear fled and immediately charged again, the release stated. Geis sprayed the bear with bear spray and the bear fled.

Troopers received an SOS notification from Geis’s Garmin inReach device at 6:24 p.m. that stated “Bear attack — had to use bear spray — knocked over, in severe shock.”

Geis was physically uninjured but in mental shock and was worried he would be attacked again.

Troopers and emergency medical personnel from Tri-Valley Volunteer Fire Department responded to Geis’s location but there was no location to land the helicopter nearby. The helicopter dropped troopers and medical personnel on a ride approximately 1,500 feet above and to the east from Geis. Troopers and medics hiked to Geis, determined that he was not injured, and hiked with him to the helicopter.

moose eater

2 days ago my daughter drove up from the Mat-Su Valley and in route brought me another nicely frozen 11 sockeye/red salmon from her Chitina/Copper River stash, for us to turn into traditional Native-style strips when we do some of ours. So the other day, in a drizzling rain, I ventured into my walk-in smoker to assess its condition after not using it for several years.

My wife has a couple of boxes of wine bottles in there she'd apparently forgotten (so there's an outlet for the new batch of raspberry rhubarb wine that's fermenting in one of my old brew buckets on the kitchen table currently), and the spiders have been making themselves at home in there, which will require a shop vac and extension cord.

Other than that, there's a pallet with 1 and a partial 80-lb. bags of Quik-crete on it that'll need a dry resting place, and a large or decent collection of 4, 5, and 6-gallon food-grade buckets that have been dedicated to fish brine for a couple decades now.

Next step will be to gather some dry cottonwood drift wood from the banks of the rivers for the traditional Native-style strips, and some freshly cut (and then peeled/debarked) green alder for the white man-style whole fillets to be smoked.

"It's beginning to look alot like Christmas....""

Last edited:

Ca++

Butane refill is costing me about 50% more than a CO2 refill, on the kilo.
A Kg of Butane makes 3Kg of CO2. It's quite a gain, by taking on oxygen.
This means, CO2 from burning butane, costs me half as much as buying it bottled.
Furthermore, I can get butane with comparative ease.

I have not sat in front of a gas fire in ages. I have seen them in skips though. They have the 'flame out' detection. Also the pilot may sit alone, next to the main burner, but a separate part. Often the burner is fixed through a plate, flanked by the 'flame out' sensor, and an ignition wire. All as a tidy package. However, the size of some of them heaters, they are not too big to just use. An older caravan or RV has small ones. Caravans are scrapped at a right rate here, as dozens are forced off static trailer parks by the sea, each year.

A candle flame is about 10g an hour, while a more healthy looking flame, maybe 20g. People average 40g per hour, over 24h. It's a notable amount. My plants gain 100-200ppm when I'm just sat looking at them, and that's not a co2 room, it's vented out.

Latest posts

Latest posts