What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

top of the heap to third world status in one generation

h.h.

Veteran
Howz about ala the penal institutions bursting at the seams, how do you explain that away??? :tongue:

I'm beginning to understand and appreciate totalitarian governments 'cause they seem to have this problem under control, sorry! :shucks:

NK is hiring weed forum mods.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Can not speak to Russia, but in China the people loved and treasured their country.
Which in turn left me with admiration for their values.
i notice that you said "their country" and not "the government". they've never had the opportunity to vote on anything, so .. but the peoples values do seem solid.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran

i notice that you said "their country" and not "the government". they've never had the opportunity to vote on anything, so .. but the peoples values do seem solid.[/QUOTE]

solid values that work, the Chinese value the family, community and culture, unlike here where it tends to be more every man for himself, me, me and mine. :shucks:

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
every time a politician screams "LAW AND ORDER" , he has someone in particular that he wants the police to do something about, and they are normally not "criminals"...yet.

How many crimes does a career criminal commit before he/she is caught?

How many times is a career criminal caught before the final catch turns deadly? :shucks:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
How many crimes does a career criminal commit before he/she is caught?

How many times is a career criminal caught before the final catch turns deadly? :shucks:

smart ones are NEVER caught, at least not until long after they needed to be. we need to differentiate between those who are actually dangerous, and those that are just a pain in the ass. if they have jobs, i'm all for abolishing cash bail. if they are repeat offenders, or perpetually unemployed, hold them for trial. but lower income people frequently lose their jobs, homes etc just waiting to go to trial on minor bullshit. i've known folks held in jail for trial that spent more time in jail awaiting trial than the sentence that could have been imposed if found guilty, just because they could not make bail.

armedoldhippy

Veteran

i notice that you said "their country" and not "the government". they've never had the opportunity to vote on anything, so .. but the peoples values do seem solid.

solid values that work, the Chinese value the family, community and culture, unlike here where it tends to be more every man for himself, me, me and mine. :shucks:

[/QUOTE]

we USED to be that way... i envy them their ability to ignore what they cannot change, in some respects.

Gry

Veteran
Let's hope the Chinese people rise up and oust the small minority that is the CCP. That's what is in the future.

When you have a party that gets the credit for the strongest rate of growth in history, I can assure you there will be no discontent masses who
seek to over turn it.
You can always hope their leaders will sell them out and ship their manufacturing base over here.

Gry

Veteran
Growth does not mean happiness.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-22278037

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-jinpings-rule

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...64O2CK20100525

I doubt there’ll be any sort of revolution purely because the Chinese authorities will not allow it to happen.
That certainly seems to be a popular sentiment being echoed by our media.
Our culture does quite a job, of not teaching much about the history between we and China.
With very good cause.

Will share something with you the media never will:
Mao wanted and asked for support for democracy.
He sent a written request to the President of the US,
it was sidetracked and not delivered by a crooked
intel officer up to his eyeballs in what turned
out to be the most expensive fraud in history.

Another slice of our history that most
people do not even know of...
Care to guess which party it involved ?
Easy to tell who owns our (liberal) media.

h.h.

Veteran
If Mao wanted democracy, he would have had democracy. Communism is goal orientated. Not dependent on public input or input from other intellectuals. It depends on dictation. Authoritism.

JKD

Veteran
Mao is unlikely to get media coverage because he’s been dead for 45 years…

He moved away from his ‘new democracy’, or ‘democratic centralism’ within 10 years of his rule - when he began his ‘anti-rightist’ campaign and took the country in the opposite direction.

Yes, we have to be wary of any media coverage - what is included, what is left out, the language used etc. I think media consumption should whet your appetite to dig deeper through academic/research papers, books, short courses etc and not be the sole source of your opinion. I also believe in reading across a variety of media sources.

What steps would need to be taken to drive a revolution? How could you organise it in China, do you think? How far could you spread your anti-government message, and for how long? How would your rallies and protests go?

Last edited:

Gry

Veteran
Mao is unlikely to get media coverage because he’s been dead for 45 years…

He moved away from his ‘new democracy’, or ‘democratic centralism’ within 10 years of his rule - when he began his ‘anti-rightist’ campaign and took the country in the opposite direction.

Yes, we have to be wary of any media coverage - what is included, what is left out, the language used etc. I think media consumption should whet your appetite to dig deeper through academic/research papers, books, short courses etc and not be the sole source of your opinion. I also believe in reading across a variety of media sources.

What steps would need to be taken to drive a revolution? How could you organise it in China, do you think? How far could you spread your anti-government message, and for how long? How would your rallies and protests go?

One has but to look and see, we have been at it non stop for years before a one of us were born, and that is not about to change.
I enjoyed what you had to say with respect to the not trusting the media as a source of information, as to the sources one might
choose, I suppose that would vary greatly, but they are there to be found for any who choose to study the history.

Three Berries

When you have a party that gets the credit for the strongest rate of growth in history, I can assure you there will be no discontent masses who
seek to over turn it.
You can always hope their leaders will sell them out and ship their manufacturing base over here.

Fascistic oppression always ends in ouster. When the economy implodes and the killing starts then the people will rise. Count on it.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
One has but to look and see, we have been at it non stop for years before a one of us were born, and that is not about to change.
I enjoyed what you had to say with respect to the not trusting the media as a source of information, as to the sources one might
choose, I suppose that would vary greatly, but they are there to be found for any who choose to study the history.

nothing will change in China until enough of the people go to the streets, and STAY there. their military, i don't believe, are willing to kill enough of their own people to put down a nation-wide upheaval. their officer corps? possibly, because they have such a huge investment in maintaining status quo. but it only takes one 9 mm round to tell an officer to STFU...

Gry

Veteran
I speak of the largest fraud in history and not a soul shows any interest at all.
We do live in fascinating times.

Gry

Veteran
If Mao wanted democracy, he would have had democracy. Communism is goal orientated. Not dependent on public input or input from other intellectuals. It depends on dictation. Authoritism.

You have a unique grasp of history.

Latest posts

Latest posts