What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

top of the heap to third world status in one generation

h.h.

Veteran
With respect to Ukraine, we are told a great deal of the current situation, and little of the past.

75th Anniversary of the 14th Waffen SS Division in Lviv, Ukraine in summer of 2018.

Helmets of the Azov Battalion.

Oleh Tihanybok, leader of the OUN/B successor organization Svoboda.

June 30th has been established as a commemorative celebration in Lvov [Lviv]. It was on June 30, 1941, when the OUN‑B announced an independent Ukrainian state in the city of Lviv. That same day marked the start of the Lviv Pograms that led to the death of thousands of Jews.
June 30th is also the birthday of Roman Shukhevych, commander of the Nachtigall Battalion that carried out the mass killings. The city of Lviv is starting “Shukhevychfest” to be held in Lviv on June 30th, commemorating the pogrom and Shukhevych’s birthday. Shukhevych was named a “Hero of the Ukraine” by Viktor Yuschenko. A photographic essay of the pogrom led by Shukhevych and conducted by his Nachtigall Battalion can be found here.

Those who forget history are bound to repeat….oh, never mind.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Ecocide: Prosecuting Planetary Destruction

Advocates want to make ecocide a prosecutable offense with the International Criminal Court. It's an uphill battle they seem willing to fight.

https://undark.org/ecocide/

deliberately harming the environment of the only place we have to live SHOULD be a prosecutable offense. this isn't an area where there should be wiggle room.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Those who forget history are bound to repeat….oh, never mind.

the time may come when they will want to forget past actions. i wonder what % of people there celebrate that part of their heritage vs the % of Americans that still think of the Civil War as "the war of Northern Aggression" and fly Confederate flags... theirs is a much more recent past. we haven't washed our hands after 157 years and counting...

h.h.

Veteran
the time may come when they will want to forget past actions. i wonder what % of people there celebrate that part of their heritage vs the % of Americans that still think of the Civil War as "the war of Northern Aggression" and fly Confederate flags... theirs is a much more recent past. we haven't washed our hands after 157 years and counting...

A snarky remark on my part. Some confuse remembrance with celebration..

St. Phatty

I was re-reading about the Santa Susana facility.

They had -4- melt-downs, one or more of which released hundreds of times more radiation than Three Mile Island.

Santa Susana Field Laboratory - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Susana_Field_Laboratory

ALSO - the recent fire in Colorado - #1 on the list of possible causes, underground coal fire that got blown up, sort of, when they had the high winds.

Looks like the US has trouble managing Nuclear technology (which I consider to be safe, but obviously not in the hands of the Americans), and Coal technology - and Oil technology.

https://wildfiretoday.com/2022/01/2...oldering-coal-mine-as-cause-of-marshall-fire/

Three Berries

icon1.png

Things are going so well in Chicago that the Illinois State Police have put up an interactive expressway shooting web site. Now you can check it out before you leave in the morning.....

ISP creates statewide expressway shooting dashboard

https://www.wandtv.com/news/isp-crea...9.html#new_tab

In a release, ISP announced it has unveiled an interactive Statewide Expressway Shooting (SES) dashboard, which contains current and historical data regarding reported expressway shooting incidents in Illinois.

ISP created the tool to provide no only data, but also as context to expressways shootings reported in Illinois.

The agency said the main goal of the SES dashboard is to be timely and transparent by displaying the latest reported expressway shooting information.

61f19197c6df9.image.png

https://isp.maps.arcgis.com/apps/das...a868e27289c1e8

armedoldhippy

Veteran
A snarky remark on my part. Some confuse remembrance with celebration..

being possibly "snarky" makes your point no less true. i don't think that dressing in the uniforms, displaying the flag etc is as much remembrance as it is (or appears to be) gleeful celebration however...was the side of Stone Mountain turned into a giant monument to the Southern Cause for "remembrance? or something else entirely, like the statues in Richmond on Monument Avenue were...a reminder of what the politically powerful thought of the powerless "others".

Gry

Veteran
Yes, but most of them (if not all) require the person be a resident of that state, and most (if not all) want a physician's letter saying the person will die of the disease within 6 mos.

One interesting difference from state to state includes how (cause of death) is entered into the M.E.'s or physician's report. In Montana, whatever the terminal illness was is written in as the cause of death on the death certificate, even though euthanasia was the actual immediate cause.

Parts of Europe offer death with dignity medical services, and I want to say it was Sweden (?), where the social worker helps the patient through the process, and the whole thing seemed very dignified, with friends and family (in those cases where appropriate or possible) around the bed side or chosen location for the send-off.

My friend chose an assisted death in Switzerland. Her dying wish was to tell you why

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/07/health/cindy-shepler-assisted-death-wellness-trnd/index.html

Gry

Veteran
Switzerland

Since 1942, Switzerland has allowed assisted suicide as long as the motives are not selfish. All forms of euthanasia are against the law.

Nearly 350 Britons have now ended their lives at Dignitas in Switzerland. Those who go with their loved one and are present during the process face the risk of prosecution and up to 14 years in prison when they return to the UK. It is clear that the current legal situation is unacceptable. Until this changes and assisted dying is law this injustice will continue.
By failing to legislate on assisted dying our Parliament condones that, on average, every ten days one Briton travels abroad to die.​
We cannot ignore the difficult and painful journey faced by many dying people who the law in the UK is failing.
Travelling abroad to die is by no means an easy decision. There are many challenges dying people have to face:
  • Cost of more than £10,000. The law discriminates between rich and poor.
  • A difficult journey. Many people travel at a point where they are in great pain and distress.
  • A loss of control. The law forces dying people to travel earlier than they would choose. This is because they fear that they will not be able to make the journey later.
https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/assisted-dying/international-examples/switzerland/

Gry

Veteran
Tom Wessels: Reading the Forested Landscape, Part 1
Tom Wessels is a terrestrial ecologist and Antioch University New England professor emeritus. He has authored a number of books. If you've read "Reading the Forested Landscape" and "Forest Forensics", you know how skilled he is at interpreting the past land use history clues abounding in central New England's changing forests. Learning to apply the knowledge you gained from those books can be time consuming, however, and you probably find yourself returning to the books often. In this 3-part series, you'll go into the woods with Tom as he covers many of the topics in detail, providing another opportunity for you to enhance your own "forest forensics" skills. Some of the topics covered in the three parts: New England's stone walls; pillows and cradles; merino sheep craze ("sheep fever"); forests arising on abandoned agricultural land (past hay field vs crop field vs pasture); signs of past wind, logging and fire damage; reading tree stumps; white pine weevils and multi-trunked pines . In Part 1, Tom covers the topics of New England's maze of woodland stone fences, abandoned agricultural lands, pillow-and-cradle topography, and storm damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcLQz-oR6sw

Tom Wessels: Reading the Forested Landscape, Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L81Ihhqe0gY&t=0s

Tom Wessels: Reading the Forested Landscape, Part 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEAfFq3gb30&t=0s

Tom Wessels, Reading the Forest Landscape: Master class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8mr-SkuGhs

Eastern White Pine- the Tree Rooted in American History

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQs7novlvtA

Last edited:

h.h.

Veteran
being possibly "snarky" makes your point no less true. i don't think that dressing in the uniforms, displaying the flag etc is as much remembrance as it is (or appears to be) gleeful celebration however...was the side of Stone Mountain turned into a giant monument to the Southern Cause for "remembrance? or something else entirely, like the statues in Richmond on Monument Avenue were...a reminder of what the politically powerful thought of the powerless "others".

The powerless clinging to powerful leaders to defeat the powerless.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
lol, can't make this up and nobody saw it coming!!!!:tongue::D:bigeye:

www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...to=windows-widget-push-notification&ci=511147
China CONFIRMS it is joining forces with Russia to build a base on the MOON by 2035 to rival NASA's Lunar Gateway

China confirms it's joining forces with Russia to build a lunar research station
  • International Lunar Research Station will be an orbiter and a base on the moon
  • The upcoming base will be 'designed to conduct multipurpose research work'
..... and not the 1st 'hook up' I'm sure! ;)

armedoldhippy

Veteran
no surprise. if the US announced that we had found a way to make shit taste like bacon, Russia & China would say that they figured it out decades ago, and had been eating it for years...

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
The issue is that they've joined forces, that's a very bad sign for US, while we have been sleeping, defunding the police letting anarchy rule while totalitarian governments who know the score like China and Russia laugh and take advantage of Amerika's wokeness!

This is just the beginning of the alliance, wait 'n see! :tongue:

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was re-reading about the Santa Susana facility.

They had -4- melt-downs, one or more of which released hundreds of times more radiation than Three Mile Island.

Santa Susana Field Laboratory - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Susana_Field_Laboratory

ALSO - the recent fire in Colorado - #1 on the list of possible causes, underground coal fire that got blown up, sort of, when they had the high winds.

Looks like the US has trouble managing Nuclear technology (which I consider to be safe, but obviously not in the hands of the Americans), and Coal technology - and Oil technology.

https://wildfiretoday.com/2022/01/2...oldering-coal-mine-as-cause-of-marshall-fire/

It's my belief that nuclear would be broadly more accepted if we were using molten salt reactors. No meltdowns, almost zero waste. And no refining processes are needed that also can be used for weapons. So I would be all on board with Iran, NK, whomever, having these types of plants. As would most of the world I imagine.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
The issue is that they've joined forces, that's a very bad sign for US, while we have been sleeping, defunding the police letting anarchy rule while totalitarian governments who know the score like China and Russia laugh and take advantage of Amerika's wokeness!

This is just the beginning of the alliance, wait 'n see! :tongue:

they've been cooperating for years. the police have not been "defunded" and that was a mis-use of the term to start with. anarchy? it ruled? damn, i wanted a new TV. i'm going to assume that you are referring to the riots that occurred during the outrage over LEO killing people for minor bullshit. by the way, did you read where NINE TN cops shot and killed a man in Nashville because he had a boxcutter in his hand? no beanbag rounds, no Tasers deployed, just "BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM!" they'll probably get a medal for not making the traffic jam there any worse than it already was...

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
:D no, the police haven't been defunded, they're just picking 'em off 1 by 1

Hendersonville Police Dept. works to attract talent as application numbers down 400%

HENDERSONVILLE, N.C. (WLOS) — Police staff shortage is an epidemic sweeping the nation, and that includes the western North Carolina mountains.
Hendersonville is one of those departments impacted by the shortage -- but the real issue the department is facing is lack of applicants.
“I even did some crossing guards a couple weeks ago, I’m still a police officer,” said Hendersonville Police Chief Blair Myhand.

Betcha China/Russia doesn't have this kinda problem! ;)

h.h.

Veteran
:D no, the police haven't been defunded, they're just picking 'em off 1 by 1

Hendersonville Police Dept. works to attract talent as application numbers down 400%

HENDERSONVILLE, N.C. (WLOS) — Police staff shortage is an epidemic sweeping the nation, and that includes the western North Carolina mountains.
Hendersonville is one of those departments impacted by the shortage -- but the real issue the department is facing is lack of applicants.
“I even did some crossing guards a couple weeks ago, I’m still a police officer,” said Hendersonville Police Chief Blair Myhand.

Betcha China/Russia doesn't have this kinda problem! ;)

China Russia don’t sound like good places to live. We should follow suit?

Latest posts

Latest posts