What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Tom Hill Haze

MadMac

far beyond driven...
It is not the cannabinoids. The terpenes also determine the type of high.
+
Curing will improve the high and flav but it will not make the THC % higher !!!

for me personally ... sativa 3 month cure and than 3 month to enjoy...
it's not better after 6 month... different but not better to me...
but it all depend on curing etc... dark, slow and cold with around 65% RH humidity

good quote @Hammerhead
M.:smoker:

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
It is not the cannabinoids. The terpenes also determine the type of high.
+
Curing will improve the high and flav but it will not make the THC % higher !!!

for me personally ... sativa 3 month cure and than 3 month to enjoy...
it's not better after 6 month... different but not better to me...
but it all depend on curing etc... dark, slow and cold with around 65% RH humidity

good quote @Hammerhead
I always found it more dreamy than euphoric after long cure.
And terps are more stabil,when its fresh like every time I smell it,it smell bit different but when its cured it have only one smell.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
She's getting healthier every day... I'll veg them long to get them in tip top shape. DC might be a better Affy to breed with p420.
DSCN7841.JPG

Last edited:

windmills

Back in the day in C-Bo land (Colombia), when we would get something very fresh, we would let it hang with hand leaves and all on it (as long as they were not touching colas) which typically, with the aide of a smaller room heater and fan (to slowly burn off the humidity in the air), was a maximum of two weeks, until dry to the touch. This test is physical though, not time period guessing. We would then trim the buds to our liking (end cure flavor perception seemed improved with a good deleafing). Immediately thereafter, we would put the chopped up arms with colas still attached into non-recycled doubled brown grocery sized paper bags, that were then rolled up or folded shut, and then let sit for two weeks in a cool dark place, ensuring to open the bag at night for breathing, and a couple times at least during each day, while very lightly moving the contents inside. The final test to tell if it was fully cured is the "snap" test. Will the arm clean snap break in two, of its own accord, when applying pressure with your index fingers and thumbs? If so, the colas are ready then to be cut from the branches. Another cosmetic deleafing, and then into double seal-a-meal (vacuum seal) bags, and immediately frozen, with enough air still inside to prevent any crushing. Typical total time is 4 weeks depending on drying. I still practice this exact formula, and, as I discussed, have smoked my indoor home grown, frozen now for five years time, that exhibits all the qualities unchanged, that were there in the beginning. And, just as a fyi, not telling anyone how to enjoy theirs. This is for information's sake only please, and stands as a tried and true methodology, practiced for decades of time. Take the best, and leave the rest behind! Cheers to All

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Back in the day in C-Bo land (Colombia), when we would get something very fresh, we would let it hang with hand leaves and all on it (as long as they were not touching colas) which typically, with the aide of a smaller room heater and fan (to slowly burn off the humidity in the air), was a maximum of two weeks, until dry to the touch. This test is physical though, not time period guessing. We would then trim the buds to our liking (end cure flavor perception seemed improved with a good deleafing). Immediately thereafter, we would put the chopped up arms with colas still attached into non-recycled doubled brown grocery sized paper bags, that were then rolled up or folded shut, and then let sit for two weeks in a cool dark place, ensuring to open the bag at night for breathing, and a couple times at least during each day, while very lightly moving the contents inside. The final test to tell if it was fully cured is the "snap" test. Will the arm clean snap break in two, of its own accord, when applying pressure with your index fingers and thumbs? If so, the colas are ready then to be cut from the branches. Another cosmetic deleafing, and then into double seal-a-meal (vacuum seal) bags, and immediately frozen, with enough air still inside to prevent any crushing. Typical total time is 4 weeks depending on drying. I still practice this exact formula, and, as I discussed, have smoked my indoor home grown, frozen now for five years time, that exhibits all the qualities unchanged, that were there in the beginning. And, just as a fyi, not telling anyone how to enjoy theirs. This is for information's sake only please, and stands as a tried and true methodology, practiced for decades of time. Take the best, and leave the rest behind! Cheers to All
Thats why peas and corn are frozen to reproduce that moment in time when thawed so that would be perfect done like that.
Like the day you put it in the back or near as.

MadMac

far beyond driven...
yes that's the old and still working method to get the best out of it...
thx for sharing!
well for me it never made it into a freezer because it's smoke before ;-)
to be honest... in my 30 years + smoking and growin' .. i'll never had so much that i'll had to store it for longer... after harvest... first get testet after 2 month... than after 3 month full smoke to everything...
3 month later all is gone... and as always... the best first ;-)
i'll have a curing room in basement... around 14°C with a dehumidifier @65% RH ...
there it cures on the plant ... sometimes i'll use small barrels to cure the flowers with automated ventilation when i'll have big or many flowers ... like your paper bag's ... i'll also did and have... but never made it to long storing... because never had enough hehe... and many friends who smoke... and love the haze...

and there is another great method for long storing and special curing...
making cob's like @Tangwena... he perfected the method and shared it here...❤️
that really something special i'll also still do from time to time...
a delicious cob ... smoking or chewing (eating) is something special... also the high is little different to normal... think for those who living in a dry place... this is something to recon...

i'll need to try the freezing ...

i'll still love to smoke ... and my prefer way is to have a flower like this before proceed ...
it's also the eye candy ... that makes the smoke much better ... same with food... if it looks delicious ...
_7092711.jpeg
_7092713.jpeg

_4092420.jpeg

if you roll than a small spliff like i'll prefer... and the paper becomes oily when rolling... than you already know it will be a blast ..

Attachments

• _7092711.jpeg
    _7092711.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41

ICGA

Good analogy.
If you drink that beer after a week it won't be worth having taken the time to brew.
It's when you bottle it and let it mature that it gets good.
No offence but it's when people make judgements about something they've clearly never tried that i have trouble taking them seriously.
Bro if you actually read my post then you would have gotten the analogy. If you leave your beer brewing to long it turns to vinegar. Aging is not the same as fermenting. Brewing = fermenting, aging is different for the most part then active fermentation. Curing is an active fermentation. During aging active fermentation has ceased.

goingrey

Curing
To be prepared, preserved, or finished by a chemical or physical process: hams curing in the smokehouse.

Aged
Brought to a desired ripeness or maturity: aged cheese.

ICGA

Curing
To be prepared, preserved, or finished by a chemical or physical process: hams curing in the smokehouse.

Aged
Brought to a desired ripeness or maturity: aged cheese.

Curing cannabis or tobbaco is a kind of fermentation as bacteria and enzymes are breaking down chlorophyll and other compounds that release noxious gasses. Go live vicariously through the dictionary somewhere else. This isn't a forum for debating semantics.

Last edited:

CannaT

Y el que no mama es un gil

Discepolo

The typical 20th century cure for sativa was brick. Brick makes product transportable, long lasting specially when it is fermented, be it intentionally or just a by product of storing conditions like burying for hiding
Bud has lower shelf life

Weed you been talking about from weed producing countries is harvested in 1000 of kg's at time.
Its brown cuz its probably stored bad or it was there long time before it find place on market.
Weed is pressed in bricks cuz that way you eliminate air from inside and its harder to get mold.
And also its easier that way to go in transport.

That is what I know about this topic.
But personaly I dont think they age or cure this weed with purpose like we western people do cuz of our hobby and passion and science experiments and other various things.
Its more not propperly or bad stored flower which much faster oxigenate and goes brown.

Green Highland

I think modern strains have mistakenly been chosen to taste best not long after harvest. I prefer to pheno hunt for varieties that get better with time in a jar. It has absolutely nothing to do with flushing.

Also. If mead ferments slow it has a more complex flavor than when the yeast eats it all quickly. Most people just prefer instant gratification. Convenience does not equal quality.
I’ve noticed that with a few of the modern cultivars, they die in the jar. Jungle boys, I believe it was them that say they think their stuff is best after a two week hang and a week in the jar. I’m noticing a few cultivars I have are like that.l where a Long cure kills all the loud smells and they smell oxidized after a longer cure.

funkyhorse

Well, amount of harvested weed varies depending on the farm size but it is not thousand kilos per farm at once
Each layer is about 1 kilo, technique is called perique and you can do it at home on small quantities as well
paraguay_matiasmaxx_2_opt7_1200w.jpeg

Quality depends on many things, I agree with you they dont cure this way with purpose but the best brick was not brown. the best brick from this variety was very sticky, kind rubbery and it was very difficult to grind and smoke
Not all varieties are the same and not all of them cure brown or ferment equally. But man, I left stashes in thailand which I picked one year later after I left them and quality was intact. I smoked one year old Lao weed from 2000s before hybridation started and quality was intact
Most of the tropical weed I smoked in my life in brick form had long lasting effects. The exception to this has been cambodian brick. I find short shelf life on modern hybrids and this is the biggest difference I find between both.
Weed you been talking about from weed producing countries is harvested in 1000 of kg's at time.
Its brown cuz its probably stored bad or it was there long time before it find place on market.
Weed is pressed in bricks cuz that way you eliminate air from inside and its harder to get mold.
And also its easier that way to go in transport.

That is what I know about this topic.
But personaly I dont think they age or cure this weed with purpose like we western people do cuz of our hobby and passion and science experiments and other various things.
Its more not propperly or bad stored flower which much faster oxigenate and goes brown.
I was all my life a nomad and I supported my smoking ganja vice by sourcing it for other people and getting a piece of the sourced weed myself, so I had a lot of different weed in my life mainly from this big producing areas. I really doubt I could have supported my vice based on the quality of modern hybrids

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I’ve noticed that with a few of the modern cultivars, they die in the jar. Jungle boys, I believe it was them that say they think their stuff is best after a two week hang and a week in the jar. I’m noticing a few cultivars I have are like that.l where a Long cure kills all the loud smells and they smell oxidized after a longer cure.
I hate strains like that. Grow them foe months and they don't even cure up right. Bad pheno hunting om their part.

Green Highland

I hate strains like that. Grow them foe months and they don't even cure up right. Bad pheno hunting om their part.
Probably Breeding for that fresh frozen hash/rosin. Yea, I like being able to sit on something after spending months growing it. It’s the worst after putting it in the jar for a few months only to come back to some muted shit that lost it’s essence.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The preservation and augmentation of volatile terpenes in cannabis inflorescence. Terpenes are inherently volatile, resulting in the loss of terpene content as inflorescence ages. Its just a fact that the longer we cure the more those terpenes will degrade. Terpenes contribute to the pharmacology, efficacy, aroma, and flavor of cannabis inflorescence, improving the experience for medical and recreational users.

A history lesson .... Curing was developed to help improve low grade cannabis.. It was never intended to be used on High grade cannabis.

Last edited:

CannaT

Probably Breeding for that fresh frozen hash/rosin. Yea, I like being able to sit on something after spending months growing it. It’s the worst after putting it in the jar for a few months only to come back to some muted shit that lost it’s essence.
I never had weed that lost its esence.
Even few years old will smell good. Very different to fresh but still very good.
But everything I had ever grow lost its smell intensity over time.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
The preservation and augmentation of volatile terpenes in cannabis inflorescence. Terpenes are inherently volatile, resulting in the loss of terpene content as inflorescence ages. Its just a fact that the longer we cure the more those terpenes will degrade.

A history lesson .... Curing was developed to help improve low grade cannabis.. It was never intended to be used on High grade cannabis.
I think that if you harvest in the fall and store in jars you will know which is your favorite smoke by spring. And would start more of those seeds, not the stuff that was only good til Christmas.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That link I posted indicated that when an external Terp is added it inhibits Cannabis terpene loss. It s a great read..

The inherent volatility of terpenes often results in the loss of terpene content from cannabis inflorescence over time. Unlike cannabinoids, which do not share the same volatility, and can be preserved through cultivation and processing practices, there is no readily available method for the preservation of terpenes in cannabis inflorescence. Reported here is the successful proof of concept towards the standardized control of terpene content in cannabis.

Latest posts

Latest posts