What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Tom Hill Haze

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Show me the science that says that an organic product, sitting at room temperature, is going to somehow possibly improve at the 6th month mark. That is not supported by any basic chemistry study. And, not possible in this world.
Nevertheless, it is the experience a lot of us have. Not every sativa is better after a really long cure, but I can think of several that have been completely different after a year's cure. One variety I grew was so bad after a 6 month cure I nearly threw it out, yet had it a year later and it was stunning.

Don't be so quick to discount personal experience just because there isn't a study to back it up.

windmills

Unless you live in a vacuum, whereby you somehow are able to defy the forces of of nature, the high is going to necessarily decrease psychoactively over time. That may be more to your liking and to your perception, but that does not change science that the chemicals are degrading. Feelings aren't facts. If you like it, that is okay by me.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Some cannabinoids imrove the high or add to it. Others pull away from the high or stop other cannabinoids from working. The same with terpenes. It is completely possible that one compound degrading can result in another seeming stronger. Or any other millions of tiny chemical variations that we do not yet understand. But can be completely real.

windmills

How Much Does Weed Degrade From Air And Heat

How much does weed degrade from air and heat?

2019 Study :

Researchers at the Swedish National Forensic Centre (NFC) mapped the chemical and physical behaviors of cannabis resin over a 48-month period to better understand the effects of long-term storage. Over a four-year period, samples of cannabis resin exposed to air and stored at room temperature lost its THC levels between 64% and 74%. They concluded that exposure to air and, indirectly, temperature were the most significant variables.

Like any vegetative matter, cannabis is susceptible to oxidation. In the study, samples that were exposed to air and stored at room temperature showed significant changes, specifically in relation to their THC content, as levels dropped between 64% and 74%.

Last edited:

Taima-da

One of science's greatest attributes is the ability to grow and change incrementally over time and sometimes in quantum leaps. This means frameworks and data can be reinterpreted for new understandings.
It's also the reason we wouldn't want to get dogmatic about data points and current understandings.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
How Much Does Weed Degrade From Air And Heat

How much does weed degrade from air and heat?

2019 Study :

Researchers at the Swedish National Forensic Centre (NFC) mapped the chemical and physical behaviors of cannabis resin over a 48-month period to better understand the effects of long-term storage. Over a four-year period, samples of cannabis resin exposed to air and stored at room temperature lost its THC levels between 64% and 74%. They concluded that exposure to air and, indirectly, temperature were the most significant variables.

Like any vegetative matter, cannabis is susceptible to oxidation. In the study, samples that were exposed to air and stored at room temperature showed significant changes, specifically in relation to their THC content, as levels dropped between 64% and 74%.
All that shows is what happens to THC. THC as we all know is not the only thing that contributes to the high, otherwise we would all just buy the highest THC variety and we wouldn't have any threads such as this. None of us are likely to leave buds out in the open air for years either. Three year old buds stored in a ziplock in my filing cabinet that I'd forgotten about was better than it used to be. I can't explain it, but that is what happened.

bigtacofarmer said it well. Cannabis is very complex (minor cannabinoids, terpenes etc) and we don't know all the factors that lead to the high.

windmills

No one in the study was so foolish or foolhardy to do a study on colas sitting in open air. That would hardly be a significant scientific study, which this was. Try reading the study carefully again. No one talked about open air storage whatsoever. As I stated before reading the study, I discussed freezing mine at no later than 4 weeks time. The study clearly establishes that that is a very good recommendation. Take the best, and leave the rest. Up to you.

Based on the study conducted at the NFC, it was found that the method of storage has a strong effect on cannabis resin composition and quality across time. Following the 48-month period, samples stored in plastic bags in a dark freezer, set at -20 degrees Celsius, or -4 degrees Fahrenheit, were unchanged. Short-term, the recommended storage temperatures are 18-20 degrees Celsius, compared to -20 degrees Celsius when stored long-term.

windmills

Many of us have, at one time or another, believed in old wives tales. Things that weren't true, but sounded like they could be correct, which we believed for a time. And, most of us also have a hidden desire to be proven right, some more so that others, especially on a public forum (albeit anonymously) like this. That is where science can be your friend. It helps to separate the wheat from the chaff, and helps you to make better decisions in your life. I have five year old cannabis in the deep freeze, that is as good as the day I put it in there. If you appreciate molding and partially degraded cannabis, that is your want. Personally, I want it as psychoactive as I can. As Tom (TH) says, I want it to rip my head off. Every time. Giving each other "high fives" should not be how, and limit, your learning. Cheers

StickyBandit

We, here in my household, agree that Indicas are best 1-2 months after drying but Sativas seem to improve in strength and effect from ~5-6 months and beyond in bags stored in sealed buckets. The vacuum packed cobs seem to keep and age well for much longer periods. I tried the fridge but it made the weed harsh AF. I haven't tried the freezer but it sounds like it has it's place :)

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Many of us have, at one time or another, believed in old wives tales. Things that weren't true, but sounded like they could be correct, which we believed for a time. And, most of us also have a hidden desire to be proven right, some more so that others, especially on a public forum (albeit anonymously) like this. That is where science can be your friend. It helps to separate the wheat from the chaff, and helps you to make better decisions in your life. I have five year old cannabis in the deep freeze, that is as good as the day I put it in there. If you appreciate molding and partially degraded cannabis, that is your want. Personally, I want it as psychoactive as I can. As Tom (TH) says, I want it to rip my head off. Every time. Giving each other "high fives" should not be how, and limit, your learning. Cheers
im an advocate for a good freezer cure too ,
a mate used to have such a large industrial one , a person could easily lay in there ,
while tempting we never used it that way ,, lol ,
but we stacked it full many times knowing the weed was safe ,
in larger grows , and sometimes moving stuff home , there is sometimes the occasional bit of moisture retained ,
the freezer was our best option to put things in suspended animation ,
some smaller samples lost within the freezer over 6 + months ,
we noted it also was possible to cure in there ,
some great results came out, nice golden buds that we had trouble remembering what they were ,
but they really packed a punch as well cured buds can do ,
the sweetness and fruityness had gone and been replaced by something that seemed a little dank in compare , strong , but smooth and muchly appreciated ...
so i definitely agree storage in the freezer long term is a great thing ...

when i was younger , and had access to some lovely thai sticks and some golden thai ,
while i didnt know at the time ,, i had suspicions that the cure it had undergone on its way to me ,
had aided its oomph so to speak ,
we couldnt replicate it in the climate i lived at the time ,
so my suspicions were it needed a better climate , but also the curing had quite an effect on the end product ,
this stuff never saw a freezer , and while im only guessing at at least 12 ,months going by before it was in my hot little hands , it may have been even longer ,, and yes , shorter too ,
but no effort went to storing it well , and yet that stuff was in a league of its own ,
if it had lost so much in the time from drying to when i got it ,
by geez it must have been almost too strong to smoke initially,
or the poor storage and heat etc didnt degrade it all that much , and possibly enhanced some aspects of it ..
from what ive read , it could only have been at the very most 12 % thc , but boy did it rock our world ...

Latest posts

Latest posts