What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Tom Hill Haze

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
The kind of lights you use has alot to do with it as well. Most people have seen how CFLs and their defused light make wider leaves. Light blue spectrum makes longer fingers dark blue spectrum makes shorter internods etc.
for sure ,
the sativas from tropical places have thinner leaf in order to cope with the heat ,
and probably the intense sunlight,
over time they have gotten thinner for that reason ,
remove them from that climate and in time they will adapt to the new climate ...

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
I reversed 5% pheno of original posi thai haze from Tom

full

windmills

"the sativas from tropical places have thinner leaf in order to cope with the heat"

Where is the scientific data to back up this hypothesis? I would be very curious and interested in seeing it, with references to it, that shows that this has been studied. Given I have seen true sativa in both the 70's and beyond that were both guaranteed non-hybrid, true sativa, one was what was commonly referred to as red bud, and the other brown bud, one was very thin leafed, the other broad. It sounds convenient to make this assertion, and it would be nice, but I have also seen other species of plants in the tropics, directly on the equator, that have very broad leaves, bananas for an example. And they grow just fine. Why not thin leaves there too, since both thrive in full sun? Cheers

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
"the sativas from tropical places have thinner leaf in order to cope with the heat"

Where is the scientific data to back up this hypothesis? I would be very curious and interested in seeing it, with references to it, that shows that this has been studied. Given I have seen true sativa in both the 70's and beyond that were both guaranteed non-hybrid, true sativa, one was what was commonly referred to as red bud, and the other brown bud, one was very thin leafed, the other broad. It sounds convenient to make this assertion, and it would be nice, but I have also seen other species of plants in the tropics, directly on the equator, that have very broad leaves, bananas for an example. And they grow just fine. Why not thin leaves there too, since they thrive in full sun? Cheers
go chase it man ,
its correct you will find if you look ,
im not a walking encyclopedia ,, but i have a very good memory for things ive read and experienced ,
i did say a few posts back that of course there is variation in cannabis ,
what the heck it has to do with bananas i have no idea ,
thats really going off track man , lets just stick to cannabis hey ...

windmills

"its correct you will find if you look"

You stated that this was specific to cannabis plants that were experiencing heat and intense sunlight.
I'd like to see the references for this, since you have stated directly that this is true. I find none. Zero.
And, please refrain from discounting an analogy I make, which is directly corollary, since yours is not.
Cheers All

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
hahaha ,
what ever mate ,
the statement i made is correct and i stand by it ,
you can get some scientific evidence to dispute it if you like ,
feel free, go for your life , you will end up finding its accurate information ...

i didnt discount anything you said either ,
you bring up bananas in a conversation about cannabis ,
and neither plants are related in any way at all ,
i said as much , it has nothing to do with cannabis ....

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor
This "thin leaf to protect themselves from tropical heat" thing sounds very strange to me to be honest. I struggle to find the logic 🤷‍♂️

Google said:
The climate in Colombia is warm, muggy, and overcast. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 19°C (67°F) to 30° (87°F)

Google said:
Summers in Afghanistan are hot and dry, with temperatures occasionally exceeding 50°C (122°F) in some places, such as in southern provinces. There is minimal rain in the season, especially in the arid lowlands.

That was a 15 second search on Google.

I always thought that thin leaves and airy buds in sativas were an adaptation to protect themselves against humidity and mold, not heat or light. Afghan cannabis' broad leaves protect the plants from losing so much moisture in such a dry environment. On top of that broad leaves maximize the surface available for photosynthesis, so I don't think they are too worried about trying to avoid heat or intense sunlight. Unless I am missing something.

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
This "thin leaf to protect themselves from tropical heat" thing sounds very strange to me to be honest. I struggle to find the logic 🤷‍♂️

I always thought that thin leaves and airy buds in sativas were an adaptation to protect themselves against humidity and mold, not heat. Afghan cannabis' broad leaves protect the plants from losing so much moisture in such a dry environment. On top of that broad leaves maximize the surface available for photosynthesis, so I don't think they are too worried about trying to avoid heat or intense sunlight. Unless I am missing something.
see the highlighted area ,
think about where the broad leaf types are , vs the thinner generally,
seems pretty obvious to me ,
keep looking , you ll find reference to it ,
your 15 second google search just isnt enough ...

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I always thought that thin leaves and airy buds in sativas were an adaptation to protect themselves against humidity and mold, not heat or light. Afghan cannabis' broad leaves protect the plants from losing so much moisture in such a dry environment. On top of that broad leaves maximize the surface available for photosynthesis, so I don't think they are too worried about trying to avoid heat or intense sunlight. Unless I am missing
In the tropics, and to a lesser extent, the subtopics, the sun is intense. Think of shooting a nail through 2 boards ... shoot straight and it'll poke out the back, angled shot won't poke. Nail= sunlight, board equells light blocking atmosphere.

In my experience, people and plants express themselves differently in tropical VS. temperate climate. Though I don't think light intensity is the only factor in cannabis looking a certain way.
Everything's everything...

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor
see the highlighted area ,
think about where the broad leaf types are , vs the thinner generally,
seems pretty obvious to me ,
keep looking , you ll find reference to it ,
your 15 second google search just isnt enough ...
Ok so I went and searched for way longer than I should lol. Couldn't find a single reference to tropical plants having narrow leaves because of heat or light intensity.

I immediately found this though:
Google said:
According to Kymron deCesare, chief research director at Steep Hill Halent Lab in Oakland, CA, the major difference in evolution between sativas and indicas is that sativas developed to take advantage of a humid environment. This includes the development of thin, lanky stems and long, narrow leaves to promote greater respiration. Indicas, on the other hand, developed to survive in drier, more arid climates, evolving into short, stocky plants with thick, stubby leaves designed to minimize the loss of water through respiration. It thus stands to reason that thousands of years ago, true landrace indicas such as the short, squat Afghanica could be found at higher elevations, where the air was thin and brisk and the water scarce. Meanwhile, in the valleys below were the sativas, growing lean and tall in the lush, wet forest areas.

Which is exactly what I was saying in my previous post. The logic here is very clear.

So if you don't mind @Donald Mallard, maybe you can search for a quote yourself to defend your point? From a serious source. Because your claim sounds so weird, I don't think the burden of proof should fall on me but rather on you.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
well since you questioned my statement , then the burden of proof is actually on you ,

also most folks dont seem to understand the tropics isnt just one big jungle ,
and the plants dont flower during the rainy period ,
in fact in south east asia , where they grew the thai stick ,( north east thailand,)
it is very dry and arid during the time of year when the plants are in full flower ,
it doesnt rain all year lke some folks seem to think , and most of thailand ,
is not rain forest , or jungle , its more vine forest and scrub ,
which suffers between the long dry periods before any rain comes ,
it can be over 6 months with no rain and temps of 30 c plus every day ,
if broad leafed cannabis was adapt to those conditions , you would see it a lot ,
but you dont ,, i wonder why ...

that quote is written by someone who hasnt experienced the climates he is talking about ,
he just knows what he has read , and fills in the gaps with some guessing ...

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor
Ok mate thanks I will take that as a confirmation that you are unable to provide a formal quote to support your point 👍

Colombian plants are narrow leaved near the coast, because of the high humidity, and highland colombbian plants are broad leaved because the humidity is a lot lower in the mountains. They both share virtually same temperatures and there are no extreme temperatures in Colombia anywhere during the year. Narrow cannabis leaves are an adaptation to face humid conditions, not heat or light intensity, and I don't need to go to Colombia to know that.

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
i kinda thought it was well-known why many sativas have thin long leaves ,
apparently not ,
thought it seems pretty obvious when u look at the conditions of the extremes between broad leaf types and thin leaf types , and u are aware of the climate some of these plans come from,

i guess if i look long enough ill find what i read , though id say its in a cannabis book which may not be online to read ..
if i find the article, ill paste it up and mention your name ,
but dont hold your breath since winning debates on here isnt really high on my list of urgent things ..
and im not here to argue with folks
btw , i live in the tropics so some of what i say is from observation also , direct experience , first hand knowledge, not just reading some charts and making broad sweeping statements ...

Long leaves help with temperature regulation and are good for hot conditions, thin leaves help prevent water loss and are good for dry conditions, and large, broad leaves which can harvest lots of light are good for life in gloomy conditions, such as the rainforest understory.12 June 2017

WingzHauser

for sure ,
the sativas from tropical places have thinner leaf in order to cope with the heat ,
and probably the intense sunlight,
over time they have gotten thinner for that reason ,
remove them from that climate and in time they will adapt to the new climate ...

Or maybe it's simply genetics that are bad at uptaking Zn in alkaline soils.

Sativa leaves have a much higher temp spread. Don't tell the vpd chasers.