What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Tom Hill Haze

TINY RASCAL

@Donald Mallard
yes in varieties that you are very familliar with ,
then of course u can note variations , of course leaf width and shape will be something quite noticeable ,
but this wont be true of all types
and can indicate an infusion of broader leaf types ,

below is the laos i was speaking about ,
to the untrained person , or someone just judging by leaf size and shape ,
iit may look like it is 50% indica ,
but it definitely isnt ....

View attachment 18859255 View attachment 18859256
@Donald Mallard how's it's going man?
How's the high & smell?

OldCoolSativa

I mean where is the proof for statement that more narrow leafs the plant has, the more quality its smoke is... then it would be easy, just select the most narrow and you have it hahahha but it doesnt work like that.
I'd generally agree with this for pure sativas, but there's very few pure sativas anymore. Leaf morphology certainly matters for hybrids; I've taken MNS 50% haze hybrids to F3 selecting for sativa leaf morphology and long flowering, and I ended up with "sativa" looking plants and much less Indica effect.

I think skinnier leaves amongst "pure" sativas are throwbacks to primal ancestors, who date back to when tropical cannabis was feral, before humans started breeding for yield and reduced flower time. I believe those are the kind of plants that gave us the magical highs back in the early 1970s. I'm currently doing a selection run of punto rojo and one of my selection criteria is skinny leaves, but the primary and final selection criteria will be to select only the latest plants to show sex, as an analog for duration of flowering time. We'll know how it turns out by April 2024.

TLDR - skinny leaves are a throwback to primal tropical sativas, and are a valid selection criteria, but not as important as flowering time and, most of all, effect of the final product.

TINY RASCAL

hello,
here are some nice lower bud shots....
love the resin... also on stem...

Tom Hill Haze 2 month cure...
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

one of the strongest strains i've grow in all those years... 30+

all the best
M.
@MadMac how's it going man? Is it a 100% sativa?

windmills

yes ..I agree that people must have still produced it ...upbhere we seldom got it and maybe never got the good stuff

our colombian stopped around 1978..no more imported

nah it was commercial Colombia with more sedation than what they started with..

I was also in colombia in 1977s and smoked the sleepy weed along with the lovely Santa Marta Oro
and teeny tight budded Cali green..and sticky stuff from Manizalles..
the Santa Marta was rocket weed
I heard tell that in the very late 70's (I was still living in Colombia then) that they began exporting far lesser amounts of what became low grade cannabis by land to the USA through Mexico, which would have then arrived old, dried out, and not fresh like before, and were keeping, what became a much smaller, and much more limited sativa harvest locally, within Colombia and South America proper. There was very little flowing out of Colombia at that time, because of the DEA. The rapid transport by boat is what made it so fresh upon arrival, which they stopped. Remember too, that low grade, uncared for, ditch weed, exists everywhere. They started spraying cannabis fields (illegally) there too, and were massively paying off the corrupt Colombian government officials to enforce not to grow it, who gleefully took the money, and shoved it into their back pockets. That coincides with the cartels then deciding to switch to Coca plants, which simply exacerbated what had been really a non-problem, with a very major problem. Another way Uncle Sam shoots himself regularly in the foot, without really trying. DEA is evil, and corrupt.

Last edited:

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Not disagreeing with you, Maha…but I think Tom has plans to do a hunt for a clone or two. Most folks just don’t have the ability to look through 50+ plants unless they plan to do so over multiple season/years.

Im not sure Nobody’s long term plans, but assume he will be looking to find the killer males and females and then work on 1:1 crosses, much like you are doing.

It’s still incumbent (and a very decent work load) to grow those plants to full potential. Indoors, as you know is extremely challenging.

Cheers!

really? I will ask him about it.. it surprises me though hehehehe

I am crossing it with different genetics, to get that F1 magic, not only in the plant growth, but in the effect too, you can judge yourself when you will finish your Acid Beauties. different effects to his haze line, changed or transformed effects, whatever... much more easy to find keeper with that intensive effect. I am looking forward to your impressions.

TomHill said:
I agree about hybrids and compromise. If we look at a haze chart it has maybe 5%, a few plants spike then the rest score very low in all category. With hybrids you can have a nice smooth curve on the chart all scoring very high. I just can never get that curve as high as I like in quality, up where those original 5% is.

but of course, to those who dont understand the matter so much - which is normal, you have to use that 5% in hybrid... hehehe

TomHill said:
To be honest brother I think you are correct. Go to the perfect F1 and take full advantage of Heterosis. This will have you highest scores on the chart. I just like to stand back and enjoy the show .

crossing it with indica:

TomHill said:
Deep Chunk x Haze is very potent and cerebral but as you say it is definitely a compromise. Something is missing, the high fades away in 3 hours, and it is a dirtier muddier high than straight haze. Much like blue dream or the dizzying lower quality Mexican of my youth. When I go outside, I can not hear the insects crawling

indica doms are not good parent for thaihaze...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hermies at best...mids are HQ for his transgender hazes and crosses...
🤣🤣
View attachment 18859813

It is an exposed ovule and not pollinated won’t mature into a seed. I have had strains when fed too much for their liking they grow enlarged ovules too.
My theory

Looks like an exposed ovule to me. Recently ran a strain that would get those here and there.

I also agree, After a pistil is pollinated it will shrivel and die in about 3 weeks That pistil should not be there. I see this mostly in Haze and Sativa dom genetics.

Last edited:

pinkus

Veteran
Naw, the the old ones are still around and don't want the indicas, or most of them. There's new sativa converts all the time when they find the joys.
lol. I agree to disagree. I'm an old fuck and this is the lay of the land as far as I can see it.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Only way to begin a Friday!
Love You Long Time! This cut just ignites positive energy and motivation! Much more forgiving to grow than the mint mom. She takes full nutes and is done about 11-12. Insane evil scent like Nevil with the root and a bit of rotten fruit from the cindy. Its smells wonderful after a nice cure. A bit jittery but that will wear off and the ride is long like the mint with a clear landing.
full
What are we looking at there LT?

ICGA

leaf size and shape etc vary from variety to variety ,
there is no rule that says all plants without razor thin leaf has indica added ,
ive seen this myself quite a few times ,
conditions can also dictate the reaction of plants and their leaf size ,
one cannot tell with any certainty what the lineage of a plant is just by its leaf ....

ive grown some laos that i know is pure sativa by its fowering time , how it performed here ,
how the flowers look , how it smokes , a whole range of things ,
location sourced , blah blah ,
but it had fatter leaf than thai stuff i grew , but im still quite sure its a pure sativa ,
the leaf did get thinner as it matured , but early on they were quite chunky looking for its lineage...
this is not the only time ive seen this either ,
i dont think there is any accuracy in judging lineage , or purity by leaf size and shape in the early stages of growth ...
The kind of lights you use has alot to do with it as well. Most people have seen how CFLs and their defused light make wider leaves. Light blue spectrum makes longer fingers dark blue spectrum makes shorter internods etc.