What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Tom Hill Haze

HapiValleyFarms

A fair point & question all of us must have asked over the years, this story is on repeat…. In case you’re not aware

When I buy packs or make seeds of peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, melon, cucumbers, squash, onion, beets, carrots, cannabis etc if 95% were just OK & 5% great I’d never buy again, ever from that seller…. And kill myself if I made them, I’ve seen many call the 95% hay & accept such

The 5% thing is a chase, our nostalgia, a dream of an experience, some holy grail; whatever, the proverbial Carrot … but it’s been repeated by many & for a long time (it’s silly marketing to me but that gimmick works no doubts)… but it’s nonsense unless your chasing inbred shit & hoping one grows well… that’s your 5%

Truth is 80% should be great, 10 % problematic & 10% exceptional

Then it’s down to personal taste, this 5% is nonsense keep you coming back for the chase - same as it ever was, has been

Peace & Happy growing
"Demonstration beats conversation "
Wait you say " this 5% is nonesense", then proceed to claim that 80% "should be" great, and 10% exceptional as " the truth" in 2023? 90% chance of successful, great are exceptional? How is your claim not nonsense. Do You have cultivaters choice Original haze from 1985?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230130_173653_Discord.jpg
    Screenshot_20230130_173653_Discord.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
  • Screenshot_20230130_173639_Discord.jpg
    Screenshot_20230130_173639_Discord.jpg
    849.9 KB · Views: 109

midwestkid

Veteran
i have never had a hay pheno out of any haze stock. they have all been memorable. i had a 12% one that was dreamy and had the euphoria and it must have leaned columbian. it was almost indica in effect.
another one tested at 20% less memorable than the previous one.
i had 3 different repros from Mac and they all put you to work... no hay.
so from my limited experience even the duds are pretty dang good.
maybe people get mad because its not commercially viable?

one observation from the THH stock via madmac - the males show sex crazy early?
anyone else notice that?

sublingual

What's the purpose? It's almost like some red necks I used to know who would see who could take the most psilocybin and maintain. So, it was just a juvenile pissing contest for those guys.
No one wants to take 10 hits to get high, that would be like watered-down liquor, is the other side of the equation.
Twice, I grew product that one hit would expand so much you couldn't hold it. It was half-hit quit. These were sativa-leaning Hazes (hybrids) flowering for 7/7.5 months in the tropics. Do I want those plants now? sure, but there are many other good strains out there that don't require that effort and 2 hits will do.

Old Uncle Ben

Yep, "where you sit is what you see."

I did this Haze legendary drill over 20 years ago (see my previous post regarding my emails with The Flying Dutchmen genefinder), had conversations with Sam the Skunkman, etc. and being the old 73 pHart that I am now, have no intent to re-invent the wheel or waste my (limited) time trying to find the Holy Grail. There's plenty of good smoke out there, including crosses I've done for decades that included the Original Haze as a parent.

This is why I chose feminized, pure sativa seeds from folks who have a great reputation for breeding/selections and who have worked sativa lines down thru many generations - Ace.

Mandala Seeds Jan 21#2.jpg

Am totally loving indica highs too. Should be able to taste my final cure of re-vegged Lapis Mtn. indica by Father's Day. I don't know if it's because of the incredible goo/resin or what but it's taking forever to dry. Been in a colander with a light fan on it for 9 days and it's still soft and a bit moist!

LapisReVegHarvestJune7#4.jpg

Good luck!

Uncle Ben

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
prob for myself has been tolerance towards….sure first time with new gear…… alls great, but within day or two don’t nearly do what it did…..maybe it’s me …and many say ya need a break….never had that prob with the small golden Thai sticks…. Colombian Gold of 70’s ...never quit laughing on a bowl or two….

thinking there’s more to it than the obvious…..
ganj on…..

midwestkid

Veteran
5% is marketing gimmic, poor breeding or both, choose wisely

PS: ask SamS how he went about testing 10,000 - :ROFLMAO:

My momma always used to say, “believe nothing of which you hear & half of what you see”

Peace & Love
ive sifted through a few of these hazes. i honestly think it would take a minimum of 24 months to do a seed pop, pull clones, test puff approx. 70 girls and come to a confident conclusion all while maintaining 70 lanky ass clones...
for example. i had 3 from macs repro and i smoked one and it was super aggressive. it had awesome bag appeal and smelled great. almost made me think there was some skunk in the THH line. but i trashed that plant because it didnt make me "feel good"
was that the keeper? not sure. the plant is long gone but the jar is still here and still getting better after 2 years? was it a mistake to kill that clone? pheno #2 was the first jar to go empty but had a horrible floral structure with more of a wheat stalk structure. was that the keeper?
what does Acid feel like to you? being from the midwest; there was more access to mushrooms for me than acid. but when i finally got to try some it felt like mushrooms big brother who had gone to college and was more sophisticated and less caveman-like. it felt like a warm hug from a stuffed animal bear. and then i attempted to speak and was blown away when concise thoughts and sentences came out of my mouth. it made me feel Good!
is there really a haze plant thats going to give me the huggy bear feeling? i feel like i keep finding cocaine phenos but no acid phenos.
these are things still going through my mind and that was only 3 phenos to sift.
it would be different if all i had to do was pick out the biggest yielder or best structure or whatever but we are interested in the effect on these plants not instagram glam.
anywho these are some of my thoughts. im not worried about growing a bunch of these. im worried about squandering the selection.

Green Highland

A fair point & question all of us must have asked over the years, this story is on repeat…. In case you’re not aware

When I buy packs or make seeds of peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, melon, cucumbers, squash, onion, beets, carrots, cannabis etc if 95% were just OK & 5% great I’d never buy again, ever from that seller…. And kill myself if I made them, I’ve seen many call the 95% hay & accept such

The 5% thing is a chase, our nostalgia, a dream of an experience, some holy grail; whatever, the proverbial Carrot … but it’s been repeated by many & for a long time (it’s silly marketing to me but that gimmick works no doubts)… but it’s nonsense unless your chasing inbred shit & hoping one grows well… that’s your 5%

Truth is 80% should be great, 10 % problematic & 10% exceptional

Then it’s down to personal taste, this 5% is nonsense keep you coming back for the chase - same as it ever was, has been

Peace & Happy growing
Of the hundreds of packs I’ve bought I’ve not found 80 percent keepers at all. A lot of garbage and hype. The polyhybrid crap shoot in my opinion is all about hype and no substance. In the last 4 years of growing and discovering Instagram for seed buying I’ve kept 3 plants out of hundreds grown. Keepers in every pack is Not the reality I’m experiencing with a lot of breeders that have that claim. It’s a sales gimmick,nothing more. Every plant on my own Instagram except two are not keepers but the photos look pretty and like keepers. Everything is a one and done. Truly exceptional plants in any gene pool from my 25 years of experience with this plant are rare and when I see a breeder claiming keepers in every pack from the latest pollen Chuck and untested line it makes me chuckle a little. I fell for the hype the last few years and as I’ve grown out pack after pack it’s easy to see it’s a bottlenecked shit show of less than average weed with great bag appeal. I would say less than5 percent actual keepers from my own personal experience.

midwestkid

Veteran
Of the hundreds of packs I’ve bought I’ve not found 80 percent keepers at all. A lot of garbage and hype. The polyhybrid crap shoot in my opinion is all about hype and no substance. In the last 4 years of growing and discovering Instagram for seed buying I’ve kept 3 plants out of hundreds grown. Keepers in every pack is Not the reality I’m experiencing with a lot of breeders that have that claim. It’s a sales gimmick,nothing more. Every plant on my own Instagram except two are not keepers but the photos look pretty and like keepers. Everything is a one and done. Truly exceptional plants in any gene pool from my 25 years of experience with this plant are rare and when I see a breeder claiming keepers in every pack from the latest pollen Chuck and untested line it makes me chuckle a little. I fell for the hype the last few years and as I’ve grown out pack after pack it’s easy to see it’s a bottlenecked shit show of less than average weed with great bag appeal. I would say less than5 percent actual keepers from my own personal experience.
sounds very honest.
one question. how many of these have you ran twice? ever noticed how the clone will outshine the original seed plant?

Green Highland

sounds very honest.
one question. how many of these have you ran twice? ever noticed how the clone will outshine the original seed plant?
I try and run as many from clone or a reveg and then clone as well as I always usually give a second chance if something was decent, some more don’t bother with, like stuff with zero smells. While they’re usually a little better it’s usually still the same. I’ve had breeders tell me to run the hermie from clone because the herm will stop producing balls with the clone, while true that is also lame as fuck. How about don’t make herm prone lines and release them and tell people to run from clone? That is not a keeper and that style of breeding is running rampant in this industry to take advantage of noobs and people that only want to wash plants for hash.

Ecor1

"Demonstration beats conversation "
Wait you say " this 5% is nonesense", then proceed to claim that 80% "should be" great, and 10% exceptional as " the truth" in 2023? 90% chance of successful, great are exceptional? How is your claim not nonsense. Do You have cultivaters choice Original haze from 1985?
Careful hapi don't scare them with science just yet, it will take time and patience for them to cross over in meiosis opinion 🤣

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
5% is marketing gimmic, poor breeding or both, choose wisely

PS: ask SamS how he went about testing 10,000 - :ROFLMAO:

My momma always used to say, “believe nothing of which you hear & half of what you see”

Peace & Love
I apply an empirical rule, and a very simple one: the plants I like pass the test, the rest don't.
I don't care if they are 5%, or 10%, maybe with a batch of seeds only 1% is excellent, in another batch 50% could be special....
In my humble opinion we should forget the numbers and go back to growing plants....
10 000 males....

Old Uncle Ben

Oh......... the Legend, oh the drama.

Screw the hay, I've got a vape pen, been hitting on a cartridge of MPX Full Spectrum Live Resin 'Tangie Knight' from Las Vegas that will knock you on your ass. It's also got a knock down physical side to it. 2-3 hits and you best stay put on the couch for a while. :oops:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yep, I pick what I like every time lol. Those of us that have been smoking weed since the 60s should know what's been lost. The quality of some plants grown in the 70s is still unmatched in the quality produced today. There were a lot fewer people growing back then.. So What's changed to cause the quality shift we see now?-----THE GENETICS HAVE CHANGED. It's all bottlenecked and watered down. There are only so many ways to breed the same chemotypes together.. Lot of weed today looks the same with the same high. Only the names have changed. Breeding Sativa landraces back into the gene pool is a must. Anything done well takes time. The 60 days or less priority needs to shift to 120 days.. Start breeding with landraces to find our own and stock stop the hype clone x hype clone bottleneck.

led05

Chasing The Present
In my humble opinion we should forget the numbers and go back to growing plants....
10 000 males....
that’s all I do year round as you know - and have been for a very long time….and that’s right it was tested 10000 Males - so much better !
Who said 80% keepers…?

I don’t buy seeds anymore so can’t speak to the hundreds of packs you’ve bought or from whom (maybe once in a decade + I’ve bought seed), but many of the people in here whom people refer to & seeds they are growing are my friends and we’ve gifted each other seeds, those “gifts” 9/10 times at least blow out water any seeds I’ve ever bought in my life …..

PS: my 1st seed purchase was in the 90’s, send a Intl money order & hope after a few months something arrives - no newb here

For most part You’re buying commercialized seeds or untested from marketing hacks - expect such

If you get a 20 pack & nothing pushes your hair back you bought the wrong pack or from the wrong breeder, my opinion - I appreciate yours too

PS: when 8/10 people struggle to grow plants it doesn’t help find things either, before panties get into a wad this is directed at no one - haha

Peace

Last edited:

windmills

I certainly cannot speak for anyone else's experience but ours has been pretty good with simple seed breeding. We have started with well known stock from a while ago, in some instances over ten years since, and between a few trusted friends and relatives we have pretty much generated all genetics that we need in house. And, it has all been quite good. Mainly kushes, and various sativa and mixed indica varietals. Really does not matter the name. I have been privileged to partake in so much and different kinds of "kick-ass" weed, that names are completely and totally irrelevant. And, much of what I just described, did not come with a name, nor was any name needed, lol. I read a lot about bottlenecking, but what we do is open pollinate and then start working down to the best males and females we can find, of course all the while keeping all the open pollinated stock. Are these watered down genetics we are using then? I don't know. But all of us concur that our stock has only improved, and not the other way around. Be careful what you believe that you read, and think objectively. The internet can be very hazardous to the real truth.

Last edited:

led05

Chasing The Present
Cambodian S2/Gambian P2 x Gambian P3

A1F590F5-BE59-4674-8F77-59EDA6FA3FEF.jpeg

45F160CC-2DC1-4F9E-B62B-43FB4781EE10.jpeg

2 examples - similar terps & quality, decent sized flowers - like my arm or so, not leggers but decent - very dank rotten tropical fruit, baby poo, gym shoes, musk but also sweet too, hard to explain but it’ll be Hazey smoke without sedation

led05

Chasing The Present
I certainly cannot speak for anyone else's experience but ours has been pretty good with simple seed breeding. I have started with well known stock from a while ago, in some instances over ten years since, and between a few trusted friends and relatives we have pretty much generated all genetics that we need in house. And, it has all been quite good. Mainly kushes, and various sativa and mixed indica varietals. Really does not matter the name. I have been privileged to partake in so much and different kinds of "kick-ass" weed, that names are completely and totally meaningless. And, much of what I just described, did not come with a name, nor was any name needed, lol. I read a lot about bottlenecking, but what we do is open pollinate and then start working down to the best males and females we can find, of course all the while keeping all the open pollinated batch. Are these watered down genetics we are using then? I don't know. But all of us concur that our stock has only improved, and not the other way around. Be careful what you believe that you read, and think objectively. The internet can be hazardous to the truth.
You bulk then you play - exactly as one should

ICGA

Name one pack of seeds available that has a better than 5% chance of finding something amazing?
To be honest subcools 5 packs were pretty much packed full of keepers. That being sed if you didn't grow them the way they liked to be grown then you would think there was no keepers. There isn't really such a thing as an objective keeper because if you pop a pack and give me a cut of each plant and then we compare results, the one that did the best in your grow, will generally not be the best in mine. Some plants like to be pushed hard because they were selected over generations of heavy feeding and high ppfd lighting. Others can hardly take nutes. Polyhibreds will often have 1 pheno that likes alot of nutes an another that doesn't. Or some that like alot of one specific component and others that don't. Most people never grow enough in different ways/environments to actually learn how to feel a plant out, dial it in and determine which pheno is actually better. They speak as though it is simple, but really there are many less then quantified variables and growing is as much an art as a science. It's not something that can be copied, it's a skill for which instincts have to be honed over long periods of time. Science is usefull for pointing in what may possibly be the right direction to explore, but nothing can replace thousands of hours of messing around with a shitload of different strains and a shitload of different environments in which to grow them and seeing how the same clone performs differently in different environments. I personally think that the range of potentials that this plant has even in one hybrid clone is far greater then the average layperson can fathom especially without testing in many different environments and that the way people reduce selection to something as simple as "keepers/not keepers" is a little annoying. But it is what it is lol.