What's new

Tom Hill Haze

Piff_cat

big mystery to me is when the y chromosome actually came into play. all dioceious plants start as mono and mono cannabis are all xx. theres a progression from mono to dio during which self fertile populations size has to shrink to force plant into diversifying into 2 sexs.
xx mono self fertile
xx loses fertility thru a transitionary period a numbers game wherein portions of population are self fertile but others are not a grey period of high diversity before the sex chromosomes are s
xy

genome sizes- this study also found triploid males in uttakarhand a 4 way intersection of drug cannabis china/nepal/india/mynamar/bhutan
InkedScreenshot 2023-04-10 at 13-36-00 Novel Insights into the Nature of Intraspecific Genome ...jpg
once the split is complete at some point the y chromosome has seperated itself with non recombining

the closer a population is phylogenically and enviormentally to the middle transition half/half period the more monoceious genes/phenotypes will remain. thailand fits this description. not to mention se asian genome content has been found to be much larger then domesticated types some amount of unsettled genetic processes are present. even more interesting recently a cbga synthase gene was found on the x chromosome!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
???

Brother this looks like a quote from a book

Is this your opinion or did you Quote someone?

That's from the Humboldt seeds org blog webpage..

Last edited:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Didn't you say in another thread that out of the original Thai stick seeds you grew that 1 of the 3 was hermie? You then bred with the male and female? Or am I mistaken?

Hi Chi no what i posted was this.

The Guy that found seed in the imported Thai stick in 1978 he found 3 seeds he was a horticulturist he germinated the seed and found 1 male 1 female and 1 hermaphrodite at sexing (like i keep saying not unusual for sativas ) he culled the hermaphrodite and made seed unseeing the remaining male and female.

He inbreed it 7 generations from 78.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Pollinating with a male is not the same as an intersex plant.. Not sure why you are referring to males when talking about herms. They're not the same. Intersex in cannabis has alwys been there. Far more of it back in the 70s.

This is what i posted Hammer.

I grew a few different Thai lines non hermd on me non of my flowers were seeded unless i allowed a male to pollinate to make fresh seed that was my experience.

bigherb

Veteran

Who are they and why is that information excepted or being promoted ?

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Did you mean 1978 or 78 seeds? To find 78 Thai seeds is a lot. I remember back in the 70's going through Kilo after kilo drying the sticks in the sun to be able to sieve the sticks and get the seeds, I was lucky to find one or two seeds per kilo of very top notch Thai sticks. The sticks then had buds with no leaf, no seeds, and so much resin the sticks would pass the italian test, throw a stick agaist the wall and make it stick.

-SamS

Good Find BigHerb i remember Sam posting this and its my experience also like i posted earlier Thai Sticks were seedless if you found a seed or two you were a very happy man indeed.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Who are they and why is that information excepted or being promoted ?

I read a lot about Sativas in general. Haze is a Sativa. I always read anything I could find about intersexed cannabis plants in the 70s. Their version is in line with what I remember about plants being unstable back then. No one seems to agree on much about haze genetics. I'm just looking at the instability of Sativas. Was that a factor of the quality that we don't see now?

ICGA

I read a lot about Sativas in general. Haze is a Sativa. I always read anything I could find about intersexed cannabis plants in the 70s. Their version is in line with what I remember about plants being unstable back then. No one seems to agree on much about haze genetics. I'm just looking at the instability of Sativas. Was that a factor of the quality that we don't see now?
People probably just sucked at growing back then, I doubt the plants have changed dramatically.

acespicoli

I dont think the description is that far off the mark, youknow the high times article written by "R Connoisseur"
aka RCC I think he has alot the facts on the breeding. The huge collection of landrace from all over the world he preserves @bigherb you know the one? Its the oldest reference to the haze breeding I have read circa early '80s

1683340949557.png

Have to check HT for a more legible and the other page

Last edited:

harvestreaper

Veteran
piff bringing the science ,,from what i can see the points raised on inheritance dont make any difference to intersex,,, it applies across the board ,,,i understand the logic of wanting to keep intersex in the genepool in the hope it may contain something useful ,,if tom had a 100,000 seeds from posi instead of a few packs would he still include the hermis for diversity ?? would you tom ??? i wouldnt ,,, for me id need to experience consistent hermis that are superior to regular females to give it that kind of value ,, not sure i understand hermi plants genetically are we saying hermis are xxy as opossed to xx ? right now i see it as a survival gene that expresses when no males around to keep the species alive and any strong hermis are merely coincidental ,,,,a freak one off is that magic recombination but that could come from a line of crap so it would be fine to clone but little value to breed on overall we want genetic consistent lines to take the best from and make pairings to improve them ,,,who knows how much selection man has put into these plants over the last few thousand years if you look at the heads on wild grasses in comparison it would appear a lot of works been done previously,, some of the Himalayans ive grown look almost like wild grasses were as near all the thai looks heavily worked as to bud structures etc

Last edited:

bigherb

Veteran
I dont think the description is that far off the mark, youknow the high times article written by "R Connoisseur"
aka RCC I think he has alot the facts on the breeding. The huge collection of landrace from all over the world he preserves @bigherb you know the one? Its the oldest reference to the haze breeding I have read circa early '80s

View attachment 18838719

Have to check HT for a more legible and the other page
Sup brother

RR is the writer not RCC

RCC has done immense work

But he had nothing to do with the haze in the 70’s or early 80’s

The 3 Brothers in that article were brokers not the Brothers which Sams has spoke of

That article mentions crosses but the 3 brothers in that article did not Grow .

1luvbigherb

ICGA

piff bringing the science ,,from what i can see the points raised on inheritance dont make any difference to intersex,,, it applies across the board ,,,i understand the logic of wanting to keep intersex in the genepool in the hope it may contain something useful ,,if tom had a 100,000 seeds from posi instead of a few packs would he still include the hermis for diversity ?? would you tom ??? i wouldnt ,,, for me id need to experience consistent hermis that are superior to regular females to give it that kind of value ,, not sure i understand hermi plants genetically are we saying hermis are xxy as opossed to xx ? right now i see it as a survival gene that expresses when no males around to keep the species alive and any strong hermis are merely coincidental ,,,,a freak one off is that magic recombination but that could come from a line of crap so it would be fine to clone but little value to breed on overall we want genetic consistent lines to take the best from and make pairings to improve them ,,,who knows how much selection man has put into these plants over the last few thousand years if you look at the heads on wild grasses in comparison it would appear a lot of works been done previously,, some of the Himalayans ive grown look almost like wild grasses were as near all the thai looks heavily worked as to bud structures etc

Herms are xx but x chromosomes contain all the same information y chromosomes. Y chromosomes are just missing part of the x. Male dominant plants with intersex probably have an x and a y but the contigency on the x chromosome to make male sex organs has been activated through stress. Unless it's a full herm then you should definitely eugenics it. Lol

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I've read that..I would agree the sticks didn't have many seeds. I did find some. That kind of quality is just not seen anymore, why?... I lived in Cali during that same time. We saw a lot of imported weed from many countries loaded with seeds, Thai included. Im not sure if Sam was being honest about herms found while stabalizing. All I talk to(excluding Hempy) also saw lots of intersexed plants back in the 70s.
Yes i agree , there was some seeds in what i saw ,
the stuff my older brother in law was getting , thai sticks,
there was the odd seed ,

so where did that seed come from ,, obviously a hermie ,
a male spewing pollen everywhere would have caused lots of seed ,
the odd banana flower , just a sprinkling here and there ..

no commercial growers would leave a male in their crop ,
maybe some males threw little early pollen before being pulled out,
and the rest is probably due to the odd banana flower ...

i wouldnt worry too much about what hempy saw to be honest ,
you see what he grows , a few plants , never hundreds ,
if everyone else saw something different to him , as i did , sam , you ,, and everyone else ,
then he just didnt have a big enough sample to form an decent evaluation from obviously ,
im glad he now puts the words , "from my experience " in his posts now ,
i would add , the words limited to that little phrase too .....

personally , i dont see the need to include hermies in repos etc ,
weed them out ,, there is nothing that says they add potency to the mix ,
yes i know tom may argue with this , he has with me in the past ,
its ok and i do see his point on it ,
but i wouldnt include them ,, to me they are of no value , despite the odd one having some potency ,
non hermies have that too , and dont cause the problems hermies can in a crop ...

harvestreaper

Veteran
Herms are xx but x chromosomes contain all the same information y chromosomes. Y chromosomes are just missing part of the x. Male dominant plants with intersex probably have an x and a y but the contigency on the x chromosome to make male sex organs has been activated through stress. Unless it's a full herm then you should definitely eugenics it. Lol
thanks for the reply,, i dont understand that an x carries same info as a y when we know they both carry separate ancestral dna therefore a y chromosone carrying dna that and x does not possess cant be missing anything ?? rest made sense to me lol