What's new

Tom Hill Haze

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I always wondered why they had a great line that got "tired" and began outcrossing males every year :thinking:
Sam said they he tried to save it all in the haze... etc

There's sure to be plenty of :poop: over this one post :ROFLMAO: better we just leave it alone...?
Its just a theory until its put in to practice 🤷‍♂️
Out of a 100 plants what do you care if only .7 percent rock
and a few herm as long as the rip your head off is in there?

I disagree all the sativas we grew few and i mean very few had hermaphrodites pop up.

If you did see them they showed up at the time of sexing.

In Cali where haze originated, most of the plants we grew in 1970 were herms. Seeded bud was common.

Thai is what 90% herms?. Im not sure but it's a lot of them. Breeder Steve(Spice of Life Seeds) posted a Thai grow in IG and he got all herms

I'm thinking out loud on this.. The best part of cannabis from the 70s has been bred out. What was it and why?. Was it the intersex issues that we saw?

Last edited:

StickyBandit

Is it possible that it's better to keep a complete genetic backbone going, herms included and every so often manipulate "clean" (no herms) branches from it when the genetics get weaker??

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I totally agree, but if a modern breeder or grower encountered this these days it would be culled long before anyone ever sampled the high. It wasn't so much the strenght of the high, but its effect that I liked. Not encountered anything since, and this was in the 80s. If this entire variety/phenotype or whatever was hermaphrodite, where would a breeder start?
Modern genetics can turn hermaphrodite at Sex / Early flower / Mid Flower / Or even late and close to harvest were the old Land Race/ Heirloom variety's didn't do that. If they were going to show up you would see them at the time of sexing the start of flower.

Hermaphrodites were not that common if we did see them we culled them.

Some lines they have called Elite for decades throw a few late male flowers like Train Wreck but people dont like to bring this fact up.

If you have a line that dose throw a few male flowers the only way to clean it up or try to is by using a clean male over that plant then looking for clean male and female in the next gen and repeat that is your only option.

harvestreaper

Veteran
Is it possible that it's better to keep a complete genetic backbone going, herms included and every so often manipulate "clean" (no herms) branches from it when the genetics get weaker??
personal choice imo ,,as long as it made clear if seeds are dealt out ,,no one will be able to prove either way if the gene for hermi was always present in the line or if that gene might carry something useful ,,all we do is debate our view from the limited info we have

harvestreaper

Veteran
i remember nevs famous haze 5 cut we had here in 80s hermed late in flo ,,from the haze or the nl ???? ,,youd find a few seedes here and there always small in number and never ruined the crop with seed etc grew a few out to none were same as mumma smell taste sure ,,,effect no way ,,, that f1 vigour something else

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
In Cali where haze originated, most of the plants we grew in 1970 were herms. Seeded bud was common.

Thai is what 90% herms?. Im not sure but it's a lot of them. Breeder Steve(Spice of Life Seeds) posted a Thai grow in IG and he got all herms

I'm thinking out loud on this.. The best part of cannabis from the 70s has been bred out. What was it and why?. Was it the intersex issues that we saw?

If all sativas had or were hermaphrodites then lines like Haze would be throwing Hermaphrodites still.

All Thai sticks would of had seed and trust me few if any had seed if you found them you were a happy man.

In the 70s 80s commercial grows were huge outdoor operations and they grew lots of plants at once in mostly remote places and they mist a male or two possible even a hermaphrodite and crops got seeded but we didn't see a lot of seeded flower.

1683266142156.png

Not hard to miss a male or three or even a hermaphrodite before it lets the pollen fly in crops like these.

Outdoor grow in Thailand in the 70s.

windmills

Since there seems to be some misunderstandings regarding growing Cannabis in Colombia I thought I would clear the air definitively, having lived there for 9 years myself, and with an 8 year older brother who still does, and likewise a 6 year younger brother, who both are married there to wonderful Colombian women. Both still partake and are medical card holders, which Colombia legalized in 2015. I travel there for every holiday season to date, and been both living, and going there, for 50+ years. The general partaking population still overwhelmingly favors what we refer to as native Cannabis, which is what started growing there en mass in the late 1960's. The soaring and uplifting high in the straight Sativa plants, the direct descendants of (including Gold, Red, and Chocolate bud), which are still readily available, are still very much preferred. Add to the fact that they are now grown as Sinsemilla, their effects are multi-fold what they were when they were first commercially available. Indica plants are used by some very few cancer medical patients, but are otherwise shunned, including Indica hybrids. That leads us into the growing season, and what and when it is currently being grown there.

Regarding any misconceptions, the equatorial tropics are different everywhere. Because of my parents work I have had the opportunity to live both in the sub-tropics, in Jalisco, Mexico, and in the equatorial tropics in both India and Bangladesh, as well as several different tropical places in SE Asia. I personally saw Cannabis being grown in Mexico, and the BWI inside the sub-tropical jungle canopy, in patches that were cleared out, so know for a fact it is successfully grown there. Each and every equatorial region has a different wet or corresponding monsoon season, which lasts different amounts of time, and different frequency. Colombia is very different than many other places whose country is on the equator, given it has several wet seasons, not just one, and several dry seasons too. I'll explain them below so that there is an exacting understanding of them. Me and my brothers have traveled, and lived extensively throughout Colombia too.

Colombia, unlike many other places, has two distinct rainy seasons, from April through May, and from October through November. Trying to grow Cannabis during such time would realistically be a 100% total and futile endeavor. During the rainy season, water comes down in buckets. Standing outside, you are quickly drenched from head to toe. There are also two dry seasons, two months long each, from December through January, and from July through August. No Cannabis is started, either during the dry seasons, or during the rainy seasons, for very obvious reasons to anyone there. That leaves the period of time from June to September to grow Cannabis, which is when it is successfully grown. The rainy season that typically starts in October, can, and often arrives early, so growers like to have their crop harvested early September. Anyone can of course roll the dice, and try something, and it might work once. But it won't consistently.

From what I have described, and know to be a fact, there is no opportunity for two full grow seasons in Colombia, for any outdoor seed started Cannabis, even if one was to try using some form of Cannabis Indica. The rain and heat are going to prevent it. If the cartels could have gotten off multiple Cannabis crops, they would have. They didn't for a reason. If someone says they can produce three distinct Cannabis crops outdoors annually in Colombia, it is very obvious they've never been there. And, if they can pull of six distinct Cannabis crops, or more, outdoors anywhere, they are a hero. Bully for and to them. But again, that is not happening in Colombia. Maybe somewhere else, but not mature finished crops started outdoors. Cannabis need water during the dry seasons, and there isn't enough. They will wither, and die, within mere days or weeks of planting. During the rainy seasons, they will either flood out, or, if they somehow survived, anything flowering will rot. The native plants grow wonderfully large and pungent June to September. More than enough for everyone there.

I certainly hope that everyone had a most wonderful last ten days of our beloved 420 month. I believe we all owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to our most dear, now long past brother, Brother Bob "So Jah Say" Marley. He did a tremendous amount of unrecognized footwork in the acceptance of Cannabis as a uplifting and beneficial plant, and as a sacred herb. I know I am in debt. Likewise, I wanted to post a brief video regarding the Crown Prince of Reggae, Dennis Brown, who ministered to everyone his whole life, and asked us to all remember, to be far less judgemental, so sure and extolling of ourselves, in his song "Judge Not", ever reminding us that: "Jah say we should judge not". We simply do not have the right to judge others, and shouldn't. Cheers All

Last edited:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
i remember nevs famous haze 5 cut we had here in 80s hermed late in flo ,,from the haze or the nl ???? ,,youd find a few seedes here and there always small in number and never ruined the crop with seed etc grew a few out to none were same as mumma smell taste sure ,,,effect no way ,,, that f1 vigour something else
The only time i saw any of Nevils Haze hybrids throw a few late Nanas was on a Mango Haze i called Queen it was ready for harvest and i was unable to harvest it. All i could do was feed them and i had to let it basically start to die.

It was about a month after i should have harvested i started to see a few male flowers show clearly stress never saw it before of after again.

MadMac

far beyond driven...
well well ...
in landrace we find still enough intersex/hermaphrodite
Zamal, Gypsy Thai Stick, org Durban, and most true African landraces...
also still found "Bananas" on Caledonia also one of my Caledonia Haze had it... Thai Haze too...
you need few generations to get rid of that... but "Bananas" is not a big problem if just a few ...
little light change in late flower let also Original Haze to intersex... OHz males have more hermaphrodite problem as the girls... if you try hard enough some THH will also do it...
well it's a natural behaviour ...
M.:smoker:

PlasmaTube

Week 8 of flower
THH girls

Attachments

• IMG_20230503_135520.jpg
    IMG_20230503_135520.jpg
    890.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20230503_135526.jpg
    IMG_20230503_135526.jpg
    983.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20230503_135616.jpg
    IMG_20230503_135616.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20230503_135526.jpg
    IMG_20230503_135526.jpg
    983.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20230503_135520.jpg
    IMG_20230503_135520.jpg
    890.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20230503_135616.jpg
    IMG_20230503_135616.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20230503_135640.jpg
    IMG_20230503_135640.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20230503_135622.jpg
    IMG_20230503_135622.jpg
    918.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20230503_135536.jpg
    IMG_20230503_135536.jpg
    778.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20230503_135634.jpg
    IMG_20230503_135634.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50

harvestreaper

Veteran
The only time i saw any of Nevils Haze hybrids throw a few late Nanas was on a Mango Haze i called Queen it was ready for harvest and i was unable to harvest it. All i could do was feed them and i had to let it basically start to die.

It was about a month after i should have harvested i started to see a few male flowers show clearly stress never saw it before of after again.
i hear you hempy if it was just my growing i would put 100% to stress but this in everyones hands who run it including very good growers ,,none the less the cut was a world beater i had a ball bragging and boasting with her an challeging everyone i met lol

windmills

i love bob but i rank the upsetter above ,,,rip

We all have our personal favorite Reggae or Jamaican / Caribbean artists. It should not be any other way. Brother Bob Marley, however, was bigger than life. He represented far more than Reggae, or even Rastafarian Music. He transcended that, and spoke of things, that before him had not been done. He, like Marcus Garvey, were movement leaders. Both spoke the truth. And at a time speaking it was not popular notion. It was the first spliff I saw on an album cover, and he was smoking it on openly on stage. Bob was born in February, 1945, a WWII war baby, so he is likely old enough to be most of your father, or, very likely so, even some your grandfather. That does not change his very critical importance in the legalization / normalization movement. Very likely, and very possibly, many of us could be jailed criminals without him. Many of us still are at a national level. I remember, distinctly, the fear of being associated with Cannabis. Somewhat less so now. If someone is older that just means they have been around longer, and have more acquired knowledge. Bob died young, but his importance to Cannabis, and Righteousness, lives on. Peace and Cheers All

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If all sativas had or were hermaphrodites then lines like Haze would be throwing Hermaphrodites still.

All Thai sticks would of had seed and trust me few if any had seed if you found them you were a happy man.

In the 70s 80s commercial grows were huge outdoor operations and they grew lots of plants at once in mostly remote places and they mist a male or two possible even a hermaphrodite and crops got seeded but we didn't see a lot of seeded flower.

View attachment 18838197

Not hard to miss a male or three or even a hermaphrodite before it lets the pollen fly in crops like these.

Outdoor grow in Thailand in the 70s.

Untrue, Haze has been extremely inbred now. Not even close to what was in the 70s. Herms were dom in cannabis for decades. Most of the weed always had some seeds. I must add you were smokin weed in the 70s if not how would you know lol. If we took a poll I think most would agree the weed in 70s had seeds most of the time. Most of the plants we grew had herm issues. All we grew were Sativas. Im speaking through experience not hearsay lol. Your pic is meaningless. 100% there are seeds in those plants. We see mostly herms in Thai. ASK anyone lol. Def a strange issue to argue about lol.

Last edited:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Untrue, Haze has been extremely inbred now. Not even close to what was in the 70s. Herms were dom in cannabis for decades. Most of the weed always had some seeds. I must add you were smokin weed in the 70s if not how would you know lol. If we took a poll I think most would agree the weed in 70s had seeds most of the time. Most of the plants we grew had herm issues. All we grew were Sativas. Im speaking through experience not hearsay lol. Your pic is meaningless. 100% there are seeds in those plants. We see mostly herms in Thai. ASK anyone lol. Def a strange issue to argue about lol.

I had my first plants in the ground in 79 Hammer and all i and my friends grew were sativas and i smoked lots of different imports threw the years until they ended and i didn't see the hermaphrodites you clearly did.

I grew a few different Thai lines non hermd on me non of my flowers were seeded unless i allowed a male to pollinate to make fresh seed that was my experience.

The bulk of what i loved to grow and smoke were Thais.

Latest posts

Latest posts